Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They really need to adjust the weapon degradation, it's worse than Dark Souls 2. Also they should get rid of the out of stamina animation. The difficulty is completely borked at the beginning. If you make two mistakes against a peasant, you die.

It's a cool concept for a game and I would really like to play it but at the moment Dark Souls 3 just feels better in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The new lock-on is good and the beta is amazing. And thank god for getting rid of durability. That kind of constant micromanaging has no place in a proper action game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Weird detail about the beta:

The game is account specific when you download it. However, when you download it on another account it just.... Sort overwrites the rights for the 2nd account without actually downloading the files.

This also works when using accounts from different regions. This was handy because Australia got the beta before EUR

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Hanzo Hattori is the best character.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The Torii Gate multiplayer option is fantastic and I love this drat game. Eat your heart out, Dark Souls

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I never get tired of wiping the blood off the sword.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prjQtXkSW2Q

I kid you not I must've died like 100 times to this boss

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bruce Lee would be proud

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Deified Data posted:

If you want to make someone unlearn everything they've ever learned about Dark Souls, have them play this for a couple hours.

It's funny reading bullshit excuses like "Dark Souls is more refined and polished hur dur"

No, you're just poo poo because you've been conditioned to play like a rheumatic turtle.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I was talking to my friend about Nioh and apparently Miyamoto Musashi was in his 20s when this game takes place.

If this isn't a boss battle :argh:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

My friend did a kneeling down prayer gesture and the demon wall just flattened him.

This game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Consumable Amirita spirit stones were super broken in Beta because using them increases your Spirit Gauge, meaning you can summon your Guardian Spirit repeatedly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If you use your Onmyo and Ninjutsu properly, enemies drop like flies.

Unlike Dark Souls 3 for example, magic is super useful even if you invest only the bare minimum.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Can you elaborate more on this. Where should we but putting points and how do you get more skills points for these 2 if you are focusing primarily on regular weapons?

Certain items give you free Onmyo and Ninjutsu points. Elemental stuff is useful because when two elements stick, enemies become staggered. Also smoke bombs and utility stuff like weakening enemies or boosting Ki regen is useful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nioh is like Dark Souls except it's good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Really cool thing about new game+

THIS IS NOT A PLOT SPOILER SO FEEL FREE TO MOUSE OVER THIS :siren:

You aren't tied to the new game+ like in souls game, its just an additional difficulty level added to missions, you can still do missions in new game if you want or just to gently caress around, not only that but new game+ takes a page from Souls 2 and Ninja Gaiden and switches up enemy lay-outs and adds more enemies to boot in both the normal and twilight variations.

Also right now there's a level 310 new game+ twilight mission. :stare:

Lol Nioh > Dark Souls erriday

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I've managed to make time for Wednesday to finally purchase Nioh and play all evening. I'm so excited, all the public tests were so drat good.

In case someone wants to watch more Nioh, my friend started a first time playthrough with all menu hopping edited out. (It's really good)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzRoQhjxJ4

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 12, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played Nioh last night. It was good.

We also did some co-op with my friend. So much fun

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure bosses get a massive health bonus during coop? Because that Nue sure took a beating

I still need to solo clear that bastard. Losing to a boss is super frustating but beating something like Hino Enma after a dozen of failed tries feels good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I find it funny how I tend to spend just as much time fiddling with my gear, inventory and stats as I do killing things.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lifeseal + Earth Talisman is an amazing combo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

My friend tried out the Shockwave Talisman during coop and demolished one of the bosses we fought. Can you stack it with Earth and Lifeseal Talismans?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nioh is the best game ever aaah

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

There's so much potential for Nioh x Samurai Warriors stuff.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. That move is annoying. The thing that get's me is when there are like multiple mages and Ninjas and then the mages spawn the heads and the lock on system just shits the bed with all of these guys running around and floating heads coming at me. For all of the poo poo they borrowed from Dark Souls the lock on feels really inferior. I don't know why it doesn't doesn't swap to the next enemy after killing one, and which enemy it wants to target is all over the place. It's fine with 2 or maybe 3 enemies but beyond that, blech.

Automatic target switching can be turned on in the options

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Izuna

Izuna Drop

I get it. Clever

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nioh is loving amazing in coop so much fun just nuking the entire level.

Then a boss piledrives you both to the ground.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just got my first green items from the boss.

True Nioh starts here :getin:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I only just beat Defilled Castle

at this point I did respec to Kusarigama build, whoever recommended it was on point. Goddamn is it a damage dealer. In terms of primary weapon I just upgrade to whatever is the highest thing i pick up. I have yet to forge or even upgrade a single thing at the blacksmith. Am I wrongthinking? It's worked out for me so far but I haven't been soul sperging so I don't know if I'm missing out on some heavenly minmax meta weapons

The character building is completely revamped in NG+, introducing new mechanics that aren't available in NG.

So don't bother before that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Since we are talking about Yuki Onnna:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAyAxZWf3KU#t=31m10s

If you just want to beat the bosses there's more than enough cheese for that

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Mid stance yeah, and three icicles staggers me - not very helpful when she spams five of them three times in a row. :v:

I dunno. I have a book of reincarnation on me, so later I'm going to take a look at my build and add some actual magic. Think I've fallen into the trap of GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL without much regard for the spells; arcane stuff in the likes of Dark Souls was very boring and little more than fancy ranged attacks, so I'm probably looking at this game all wrong again.

Putting 30 points in both Ninjutsu and Onmyo carries you through the whole game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Should I start NG+ right away or help white spirit some more. I'm about 25 even for everything but dexterity magic and spirit

I recommend going to NG+ as soon as possible because the difference in loot is huge

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

Interestingly the Nioh are literally Hercules after Indians learned from Greeks, Chinese from Indians, and Japanese from Chinese.

Like buddhists put statues of Hercules in front of their temples in 1600s Japan

This puts William's character in a new perspective

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Holey moley, so I spent an hour or two grinding Revenants to get my gear up to scratch, and tweaked my build to go full Dexterity. Even though I'm mostly in Red Demon armour - seriously, why the hell is that so common - I hit like a goddamn truck with my spinny chain, and all my damage issues have completely disappeared. POTS is no longer a grind. :haw:

Still quite squishy, and my weapon arts aren't optimal, but the advice really helped. Now I just need to find a katana or axe that scales with dexterity...

Red Demon is the Havel of Nioh

I don't use it just out of spite. Instead I forged my own Yagyu set

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Btw does anyone have tips where Veteran set pants might drop? Revenants don't count unfortunately

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I've decided to settle on a stat spread that goes like this:

Body 10
Heart 15
Stamina 10
Strength 30ish
Skill 30ish
Dexterity 30
Magic 30
Spirit 25

What this essentially does is maximize Samurai points, Ninjutsu/Onmyo and Guardian Spirit utility as well having at least one scaling stat for each weapon. Sure you could go to 700 but to me it feels like an overkill.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The samurai might be hard as balls but the games gives you a lot of tools.

Lifeseal talisman prevents them from recovering Ki, Earth element drains their Ki twice as fast and landmines topples them for a free killing blow. Many Guardian spirits also stop them in their tracks

EDIT: I started a dual wielding Musashi character and it's so much fun. You can Ki Pulse for massive chain attacks. Love it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 26, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Blocking is also armor dependent as the game tells you. Don't bother if you use A agility

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

JBP posted:

Is it my imagination or are NG+ boss and non zombie enemies way more aggressive?

Yes and block more frequently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If Bloodborne played like Nioh, we might as well stop playing other games ever again.