Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think this alpha demo is great and it's the perfect way to whet my appetite for this title. I'm surprised by how many posts I've seen by people who have already written off either the game or the alpha, but not too surprised. I don't have any hot tips to add, but I'll second the complaint that there aren't enough quick item slots. Since you're always going to want one of them to be your healing item, you're left with two slots for any item, ninjitsu or magic ability that you want at the ready. Already I have the fire buff, throwing stars and a poison bomb as abilities, but I have to leave one out every time I engage an enemy. There's got to be a better way, like "Hold Circle and press the D-pad to alternate pockets" or something.

Well, here's something I noticed. The starting Mariner's armor set provides almost no protection but can be sold (offered at the shrine) for 60-some Amrita. When you're trying to get your first few levels, stick around the shrine and summon dead guys to fight. Use your elixers and take the time to practice, and if you die you should be close enough to recover your Spirit Guardian without a problem. When you kill a summoned guy, they have a high chance of dropping their equipment. Kill summons, sell their mariner's clothing, get levels before getting to the second enemy.

Summoning and killing people was also how I got my second weapon when my first (and only) sword was about to break. A little while later and I'm flush with more weaponry than I know what to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

Any suggestions on what stats to focus on?

Or what to spend samurai points on? I can't tell if me putting all of my points in high axe stance will gently caress me over but god is it fun to smash dudes with a large axe.

Focus on whatever, try new things. If you look at the list of Guardians under the "Switch Guardian Spirit" tab at the shrine you'll see the bonuses each one gives you for having it equipped. Some of these stats, the bottom two, have Spirit requirements. That's a stat goal right off the bat, but I'd recommending putting points into either Strength or Skill so you deal more damage, body for the health, heart or whatever for the Ki. Ki is pretty important, since running out in battle will leave you completely defenseless while it restores. Just pay attention to what the skill increases are giving you on your character sheet on the right-hand side of the screen.

I'd recommend spreading out your skill points more than focusing on one stance for one weapon. You get plenty of points, so I'd recommend grabbing the basic skills for each stance of your favorite weapon, then doing the same for the other weapons. Basic skills like Triangle at the end of a combo, or Square while guarding, that sort of thing. Once you have the core move set unlocked, then you can dump points into increasing damage/decreasing Ki cost for your Axe Smash technique.

Has anyone noticed a non-cosmetic difference for the different types of weapons? Like, for the axe move set, there's axes and hammers. And there are two differing icons for some swords. I haven't experimented with the swords, but I didn't notice a difference when I switched from an axe to a hammer, and I was wondering if it came down to type of damage dealt - which would make sense - or nothing at all.

I really wish I was playing this right now, but I probably won't get a chance until late tonight if at all. :(

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

idgaf, I'm probably going to play through the demo more than once.

I recommend putting at least a level or two into Spirit, because you get Magic points and can get an item that gives your weapon an elemental coating for a short (30-45sec) while. The buff is a uses/rest system like Dark Souls 1 & 2, but being able to give a weapon a damage boost and apply status conditions (like burning, unsure about other elements) is a nice thing to have up your sleeve. I'm sure you can chop your way through with the biggest axe you can find, but I like mixing up my equipment and trying weapons I'm not confident with, and fire spear + sweeping attacks is a pretty fun way to kill a dude or two.

Also arrows are king, headshots do 10x the damage and can easily kill someone outright. Arrows are common but if you're like me and are coming off of DS3 after using the bow and wooden arrows like a blind man uses a cane, you'll run out quickly. Use stones or better yet the shurikens to draw out enemies and save the arrows for getting free damage on tougher, unsuspecting enemies.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Ki Pulse in action. Watch the stamina/Ki bar. After every attack or attack string, the white part depletes, revealing a red portion. After the attack, a grey bar begins to fill up the red portion. Pressing R1 during this time restores the Ki up to where the grey bar got to. If the grey bar exceeds the red portion, the grey portion is lost and the white bar begins to refill. Blocking also causes the grey and red portion to disappear, and you'd take a Ki hit for blocking, so the DS strategy of attacking then blocking isn't going to do you any favors here. Instead, attack, press R1 to regain your Ki, then block/attack/evade as needed. Also note that in the low stance, evading triggers the Ki Pulse, so you can attack a bunch, wait a second for the grey bar to fill up the red, then dodge behind the enemy to refill that Ki and be ready to attack again. Evading in mid or high stance will consume the grey and red bars, as well as the normal Ki cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfUQ_eTOF8

This was very helpful for me, and I look forward to putting it into practice.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Here are the other videos from that GameFAQs post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW8bZ6QCZGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfJRNlff74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Jd9zq9vnI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIsvAiMb7k

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Which game will come out first? Nioh or Persona 5?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

The demo is really long and sold me on the game. Here's me fighting the second boss in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4bduQgXDSE

Judging from the very end of your video, it looks like Nioh will have discrete missions? With rewards and an incentive to go through areas again? Maybe that was just you getting the DLC stuff, but it seems weird to see a map with locations you can select and move to(?).

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Spent two hours last night stuck at the third bonfire. The town's pretty maze-like and I keep thinking that there should be a shortcut so I can skip the first five enemies or so, but I haven't found it. I did finally find a faster route, though, so I can skip fighting a half-dozen or so when I go back later. While I understand the principles of the Ki Pulse, I'm not pulling it off reliably because I'm blocking or evading instinctively. I've run out of inventory space twice now, and I wish I could sell stones and glue because I'm full up on them and have never used them. As soon as my armor or weapon loses its durability, I switch it out with something new.

I ran out of elixirs once, which was strange. I would span with 0, and it happened a few times, and typing it out I think it's because I didn't have a space in my inventory for an elixir to go. It's strange that the "Shortcut Items" can't be sold but take up one of your 200 inventory spaces. After selling a bunch of stuff I had 10 elixirs, but I would have done better if I had sold one item, prayed to restore my three gimme elixirs, then sold the rest so I'd have 13 going into battle. It's kind of a weird system for healing and I think there's a better way to do it, but I think it's here to stay.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

When you talk about parrying, are you referring to one of the three moves specifically? Like, Guard right before hit, or the Square while Guarding move that puts you behind the enemy. I'm trash at parrying, but maybe the three different skills work better against different weapons.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I beat the first boss and fell asleep while working through the second area. It's still brutal but I still respect it for it's unforgiving nature. The game thrives on your patience, which is deceptive because it allows you bursts of speed on the level of Ryu Hayabusa before penalizing you for not having more control over your actions. Every move, both from the enemy and from William, has an opening to exploit. To this end, I think the one-on-one fights with enemies or summoned samurai feels like a modern Bushido Blade. One hit might not kill you or critically wound an arm, but it becomes a brief dance where it's 100% possible to decimate the enemy without taking any damage, but one slip up can put you on the brink of death. Things become more difficult if you pull multiple enemies, but you learn to pull people one at a time, or start popping heads from a distance with the bow, so you can keep the advantage. And when you do aggro two or more people at the same time the game becomes incredibly hectic. Enemies know to surround you and attack your weak points, but quickly changing stances (low so you can strike multiple times and pulse-dash out of danger, mid for enemies side-by-side, high for recovering or exposed targets) and maybe a poison bomb or fire shuriken can still keep you on top.

Sometimes I know my number's up, and I've bit off more than I can chew, and when I do I start to run closer to the shrine so I can safely retrieve my spirit. There's something particularly Kurosawa about running through a ruined town attracting more and more enemies before turning around to finally make your fatal stand against a dozen angry samurai.

Shōulgun keeps making me happy and I'm excited for it's supposed 2016 release.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm looking forward to a "no armor, no damage" run through of the demo and the subsequent game. Really, this game seems like it'd be the perfect vessel for a one-hit kill mode, with maybe the Yokai taking two or three.

e: The 8-4 Play podcast talked about the game for twenty minutes or so, and they thought the controls weren't tight, the menus were bad, and they had problems about the Ki costs and the exhaustion penalty. They compared Nioh with Dark Souls a lot, but I think that does the game a huge disservice. Demon/Dark Souls innovated on the action-RPG genre so much that it's going to be harder and harder to find titles that draw no inspiration. Leaving your experience where you died was a great idea that balances risk and reward while allowing players to grind levels and feel tense excitement when trying to recover a large cache of exp. A stamina gauge easily inserts a layer of tactical complexity to any combat system by making players consider each move and its timing to truly master it. The Souls games brought large environments filled with nooks and crannies and shortcuts, so that even if you died you would have a better understanding of the critical path and can avoid areas you've already cleared out. Being able to summon other players to help you does a great job of making a single-player game easier for those having trouble, and letting those who help gain strength without risking anything. Those are good game design decisions, and of course we're going to see them in more and more games. And a feudal Japanese setting is a good place to implement them.

But focusing on Nioh being a Souls clone ignores the big contributions that Team Ninja brought to the table. Positioning is more important, as any attack to the back deals critical damage. You can exert a limited amount of control as to where enemies are (by way of parrying) to exploit this. There's more to think about at any given moment during a battle. In Dark Souls, depending on your build you could attack five or six times while still having enough stamina to dodge roll away from a rebuttal. Nioh wants the player to have total control over their attacks by rewarding a playstyle that takes deliberate pauses. Not to push too hard on the "it's like real life" argument, but it makes sense (to me) that a samurai who could die in one hit would be careful to balance offense with defense and strike in controlled bursts. Spirit releases(?) and the types of Ninjitsu and magic abilities available really drive home that this is being created by a team with a lot of experience making action titles, and to ignore that is ignoring a huge part of what's going to set Nioh apart.

Bottom line, if you're going into Nioh expecting Dark Souls, you're going to be disappointed. If you're going to make that comparison, you need to bring Way of the Samurai and Ninja Gaiden into the mix as well, because those are equally important to the game's design.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 29, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

People say that Ninjitsu is broken because you can clown on bosses with it, but I think that it's just another viable option for a build. If the shuriken attacks were less effective, the points would be wasted. As it is, if you focus your levels on getting ninja tools you're sacrificing weapon damage and samurai points, meaning they kind of balance out. I agree that there should be an unarmed stance, something with a little more substance that left and right hooks with no way to Ki Pulse. The Ninjitsu skill for unarmed attacks is pretty much useless as it.

The differences between the three weight thresholds is pretty severe, but I don't mind it. I beat the second boss then jumped into multiplayer, and I also put a new helmet on. The helmet was a half-pound heavier but it put me over 70% and suddenly all my high attacks are eating up a third of my Ki and it takes forever to recharge. I eat to many hits for me to strip down and have a dodge fest, but now that I've got the second DLC I might do a nekkid run of the village to see how I like it.

Speaking of, I went through the village as a helper with my post-cave load out, helping some guy who hadn't got the first short cut unlocked. I ran him through most of the stage and another thing I like about the game is that hosts can still use shrines while a helper is around. Dark Souls was kind of a pain if you were walking someone through an area new to them, because opening shortcuts was fine but if you get to a bonfire deep in the stage (Anor Londo, for instance), the helper has to leave before the checkpoint can be activated. Just a little QOL improvement I appreciate.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Kind of at an impasse with the first boss, feeling out what I can and cannot get away with. I went for a blah build with most of my points in body and heart with enough strength and stamina to wear decent armor. Focusing on normal katanas and haven't really found a secondary weapon that feels as good, though I like them all.

You can block a lot more than you might expect, and if you dance in and out of the boss's melee range it'll usually do a move that leaves him prone for a few seconds. You can focus on katanas until the second stage, then you should start switching things up, if only for the extra skill points you'll get. You might want to try the ax in high stance for the first boss, it really brings the pain in a few hits and you can dash away and refill your Ki at the same time with some practice.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

February's going to be a very good for games set in Japan. I didn't beat any of the Twilight stages (I started the twilight fishing village but couldn't even make it to the first shortcut) but I'm looking forward to having more stages to explore and and get beefy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

This is a perfect time for everyone who hasn't already to read James Clavell's Shogun. It probably won't have much to do with the plot of the game outside of "an Englishman washes up on Japanese shores in 1600" but it's a good primer (a loving long primer) on Japanese culture around the time of the game. I imagine more than a few people in this thread have already read it and will be happy to say that no, you don't need to read it, but it's a long wait until February and it's never a bad time to read a book.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I'm mildly annoyed that the demo, when opened, says it won't start (in NA) until 23:00 but it doesn't list a time zone. I know it's likely already tuned to whatever setting I have the PS4 set for, but those three letters would set my mind at ease.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I know the game is coming out in like two weeks, but I'm a little sad that this demo is so short. It's just one stage, its twilight version, and the duel, right? I'm not missing another level here? I see these YouTube videos about how to beat certain bosses I've never run into in any demo and feel like I'm missing something.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Is there a list or does anyone know off hand what the different elemental debuffs are? Fire makes sense as a DOT because I can see the damage, but when I get an enemy hit with the water debuff I know it's been applied but I don't know what it does. Same with all the elements really. I would think lightning/earth would equal paralysis/poison, but since there are separate weapon enhancements for those conditions I don't think it's likely.

Also, I know this is hella late advice but from the problems people were posting earlier about their experience, investing a few Ninjitsu points into Power Pellets and the poison weapon coating are strong investments that can probably be acquired with just the points gained from the ninja hair items. Poison works on most enemies that aren't bosses and can help take down a Yokai that's giving you trouble, and Power Pellets are a quick and easy way to boost your strength. Likewise, I found grabbing a weapon enhancement spell (water for the Last Chance demo) and the defense-lowering spell to be good uses of my Onmyo points, along with the passive abilities. Stacking buffs and debuffs seems easier and more important that in the Dark Souls games, especially since the items restore at every shrine.

Actually, another question: Does the skill/ninjitsu stat increase the effectiveness of the Power Pellets? Or is it a static boost?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Not going to lie, I'm surprised that William's canon Guardian Spirit is a Leprechaun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Lakbay posted:

Maybe the reviewers are talking about bosses not featured in the demos

Right. Without a large community to share strategies with or to get advice from, the first wave of reviews will tout the difficulty because it's there, but also because they are playing the game in a way that most people won't. If you are pressed for time you don't feel comfortable rolling a new character because you learned some new things that would have helped in the beginning. If you do that in a Dark Souls game, you realize that it's not a matter of the game being difficult, it's a matter of knowledge and learning the game. Like a piece of music, modern Action RPGs like Nioh and Souls-games are challenging at first and get easier with practice.

On that topic, I've come around to the idea of discrete levels that you enter and exit as opposed to the one whole "connected" landscape from the Dark Souls games. There are plenty of areas in the Souls series that I run through once and never return, but having stages (particularly the rotating Twilight stages) provides a better incentive to revisit areas alone or for co-op. It also allows the story to travel all across Japan and to skip large amounts of time between stages. It's a nice contrast to the spacey-wacey logic for Dark Souls 2, for example.

One last thought: There's not much middle ground for a reviewer to say "this game is the perfect amount of challenging." It's either easy or it's hard, and as a person reading the review I'm kind of looking for that litmus test. How many times can you die in a game with mechanics designed around player death before it goes from being "within acceptable levels" to "too difficult"? I feel like the most honest thing that could be said is that it requires patience and can be frustrating.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

My Amazon success rate has been kind of spotty lately. I usually prefer getting the physical copy of a game I'd like to add to my collection, like a Dark Souls or a Final Fantasy. The 20% discount is a big incentive and makes me feel comfortable rolling the dice on when it'll be delivered. Recently I had orders for Resident Evil 7 and Tales of Berseria, both which were going to be released on the same day. RE7 showed up, and I got an email saying that Berseria was out of stock and it took a few more days to arrive. On the other hand, I ordered Watch_Dogs 2 (which is something I'd normally get digitally, but the sale was too tempting) and it wasn't delivered when Amazon said it was. I waited a few days, contacted their support, and got a second copy of the game sent to me free of charge. The next day the first copy showed up, idk what happened, but I gave the free copy to a friend. So it's a gamble but not a terrible one if you don't mind possibly waiting a few days to save some money.

That said, my copy from Amazon is still showing my copy of Nioh as not having been shipped yet but still arriving tomorrow, so I'm not particularly optimistic about the odds of my chances to play it tomorrow. And while that's a little bitter, all it really means is I'll have to be vigilant for over-excited fans posting "not-spoiler" spoilers.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Genocyber posted:

When that happens for me it usually arrives by an Amazon carrier, same day but late in the day.

That'd be nice. If it's not there I'll go and break in my new YMCA membership. If it is, whelp. There's always 2018.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

"Your Amazon.com order of "PS4 Nioh - PlayStation 4" has shipped!"

:worship:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Just dropping some information of weapon proficiency since it looked like there was some confusion about it. Proficiency is a stat that's measured and recorded for each weapon type and can be checked on a tab in the Status screen. There you will also see a small bar under the number for each weapon. When that bar fills up, you increase in proficiency and gain a samurai skill point. The rate at which you gain proficiency seems to be tied to what you kill, not the familiarity earned. I have not done much in the way of testing my theory, but I used two weapon types for the first stage and sub mission and a different weapon for the whole of the second stage. By the end of the second stage I had more than twice the proficiency of either other weapon type, despite having fewer kills. I'm not sure if it's attached to the amount of Amrita an enemy drops or damage inflicted, or if it's just a set number for each enemy (I doubt this, since I believe the proficiency numbers would be more rounded if that were the case).

In short, a good way to earn samurai skill points is to go through a challenging area with a weapon type you rarely use. I imagine that if I never touched a Kusarigama until the last region, I would be gaining a skill point after every hit or kill right off the bat and still get a steady trickle throughout the level.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah, and it's nice that it encourages players to not play through the whole game sticking to only two weapon types. Screwing around with an axe for a while if you've been a dual katanas and kusarigama ninja for 40 hours is only going to give you more points to put towards the weapons you want to use. And you'll be working towards titles while you chop things, so it's just a pile of positives.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

Do you think William would show up and weab out about katanas or say "when in Rome" and become a total gun nut like the other samurai

I know IRL he was just a slave driver basically aka granted the title of samurai

I don't know but he is the type of dork to read about a sickle and chain weapon in a book then fantasize about it long enough that he becomes a legit killing machine with a complex tool he's never even seen in person. Like, I know it's stupid and silly but it's also fun to picture William as warrior savant a la Taskmaster who reads a book with such incredible comprehension that he unlocks his Ki and manifests a personal deity.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Do we know if there's a correlation between stances and Ki used for dodges and blocking? I've seen it said that low stance offers more i-frames when dodging and that makes sense. Is there enough information out there to know if mid stance has a medium amount of i-frames and high stance has the lowest, or if those two are the same? Also, does blocking in high stance use the least amount of Ki when compared to blocking in mid or low stance? I feel like it makes logical sense to have an inverse relationship between dodge efficacy and block efficacy for the different stances but I haven't seen or heard anything concrete. I suppose the block efficacy would be easy enough to test, but I don't have the means to test i-frames.

It would be nice to know that if you needed to tank (or if you just wanted a Revenant to tire themselves out attacking your guard) you would be better suited to use the high stance. It would be good advice to share with people who block in low and get wrecked, anyway.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Drawing a connection between this William and the character from Shogun, but in one of the cutscenes in the first chapter William's at a Japanese dinner and it's kind of a party. Something that stood out to me is how dirty William looked compared to everyone else. Now, I know that he was fighting in muck and has a good reason to be dirty, but in the novel there are several parts where William looks at how the Japanese treat their hygiene, specifically in regards to taking baths, with a mix of emotions. In the book he's looking at a Japanese lady who's bathing and he thinks of his wife and children who he may never see again, but he pictures their hair crawling with lice and wearing the same clothes for a month. The only reason I bring this up to submit that William is going through this adventure not only as a foreigner, but as an incredibly stinky Japanophile who is likely wearing the clothes of someone he killed.

A hero for our generation.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

What are the most useful early-game onmyo spells? I've got a few points I might as well spend.

Grab the magic capacity passive at the very bottom, the passive that gives +100 vs Yokai Realm, an elemental buff that's different from your preferred Guardian Spirit, then grab the two spells at the very top left. The first is a pre-req for the (more useful, imo) second: a spell that lowers the enemy's defense. It has a bit of a wind up but stacking it, power pills, and an elemental buff is how you turn a lion of an encounter into a kitten. I wish ninjutsu buffs lasted a little longer, but I suspect that's tied to the Ninjitsu Power stat.

e: You want to grab a different elemental buff spell than your GS so you can proc an element then unleash the GS and proc another, triggering the Chaos debuff and really destabilizing the target. You get a trophy the first time you do this, too.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 9, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Snak posted:

PSA: This game tracks an absurd amount of stats. To see these, go to Titles -> Game Record in the top menu that you used for managing inventory and learning skills and poo poo. This screen has like 6 tabs that tell you everything from how many deaths you have, to how much totall fall damage you've taken, how many parries, etc. to what level you were when you cleared each main mission. It's loving nuts.

If you got to the Amrita Memories menu item on the map you access more stuff than when you're in mission. You can see info about all the yokai you've fought, including their weaknesses, how many you've killed, and how many times they've killed you. Great for checking how many times you died to a boss. I died to the bat lady 51 times.

Another of the "map only" amrita memories options lets you view your spirit guardians, and just like the yokai, you can zoom and rotate around the models.

You can also rewatch every cutscene so far, in case you were busy phone posting during half of them like me. oops.

If you rewatch a cutscene, does it include William in his most current armor?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know where to find the plans for the gloves on Kanbei's set ("great tactician" or something like that.)? I thought I got plans for the entire set as a quest reward but it turns out I'm missing the gloves.

I don't think there are gloves. The sword is the last piece of the set (sword, hat, robe, pants, shoes) since the bonus maxes out at five pieces.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

So last night I beat the third stage (rainy, was in the Beta) and it was a nice subversion of what I was expecting. I beat it without dying but I don't know if that gave me a title or not. It was very tense; I got cocky with the first boss and there was a critical moment where we both had a sliver of life left and I was recovering from zero Ki and mashing on X to dodge the gently caress outta danger. I scrapped by and was surprised how much more there was. Luckily the enemies in the second half are were easy enough to zone, even if I spent longer than necessary opening doors then running all the way to the beginning of the map to open another door only to realize the lead to the same area. As I became more aware of how far I had gotten without dying, I became more and more tense about screwing up, but the final boss of the stage was mercifully dopey and easily tricked into running out of Ki.

Then I tried the optional duel instead of leaving the region and boy howdy something seems to have changed between this and the demos. I threw myself at it maybe twenty times but it just wasn't happening. I'm going to try again with heavy armor and some different elemental options to see if I can find a weakness. He was tearing through me in my light armor and my best attempt only brought him down to maybe 2/5ths. Hitting him with the "attack power down" spell made it a little more bearable, but I've never been a fan of building strategies that rely on being hit. I should grab the defense down spell and see how that helps.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Phyresis posted:

I'm still in medium and I don't like it. What's a good way to run light armor dodge kama build? I'm high on dex and skill and I actually use ninjutsu, I like it a lot

If you picked the bird Guardian Spirit it has a bonus that reduces Ki usage for dodges. I've found Scout armor that gives that bonus and similar ones for dashing. In light armor with some of those boosts you can pretty much dance around an enemy, floating like a butterfly before going apeshit like a hornet's nest with a flurry of low attacks. Dropping the occasional point into Stamina will give you some more wiggle room to equip slightly heavier equipment, and since there are some gloves or shoes that weigh like 0.7 pounds more than light armor but give a substantial increase to defense it's nice to be able to take advantage of that without tipping over a weight limit. This might sound like obvious advice but it's almost never worth trying to get the first hit. Let the enemy swing and miss, then punish.

Of course, with enough points into Stamina one should be able to rock a full Medium armor set and still have an A score for Agility.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah, a really good habit to get into is in between stages go through your equipment and make sure you're wearing the best stuff for your build. Lock (Square) anything you want to keep, like one of a kind items or things that are part of a set. You should be able to get smithing texts for most things, but there's no harm in hanging onto a few things and you can always chuck them into the storeroom. Once you're well equipped and the important items are locked down, disassemble everything at the smithy by pressing R2 on each page. It'll only check the items you aren't wearing and aren't locked. Press X to break down everything checked. now go to the Forge option and select Tools. The second page will let you upgrade your materials with the following scale: turn 10 commons into an uncommon, 7 uncommons into a rare, 5 rares into a unique. Now you've cleaned out your inventory and have a little war chest for forging weapons and armors.

One of the sub-missions in the first region gives you the smithing texts to everything in the Tactician's set, and using the rare or unique materials you just made should let you make rare or better (hopefully) versions of each piece. If you don't like the way the outfit looks, the blacksmith can change that too. It's a good habit to start. I only recommend offering equipment to the spirits when you are in the middle of a mission and are running low on restoratives.

Lastly, you can turn your money into Amrita and elixirs by purchasing low quality weapons and armor and then offering them up. So yeah Tome doesn't sell elixirs directly, but you can certainly juice the system a little bit if you've got a surplus of cash.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

Tome not selling Elixirs is mitigated a bit by the fact that praying at a shrine always gives you some Elixir if you're below a certain amount. It was four for a while, and now I get five, and I'm not sure why I get one more now but I'm certainly not complaining.

You get more elixirs from visiting a shrine for finding more kodamas. I believe it's every five found give you one more elixir after praying/respawning. So if you're having problems with a sub-mission duel and wish you could bring in just one more elixir, go find more kodamas in your region. Since kodamas don't transfer from region to region, you'll have to reset to the minimum after each act.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah any kind of inventory limits would be extremely frustrating. Luckily you're pretty much free to do whatever you want. I often hoard stuff for a long time and then finally sit down and sift through and break down all the junk at once.

I think you have a limit of 500 items you can keep in your "tool box" or character inventory. The storeroom has unlimited(?) space though, and you'll only hit that 500 item limit if you have serious hording issues. I've got like 7 hats on lock in my pocket and I feel a little silly, but I'm okay with it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Crafting it guarantees its your level though, while trying to find a revenant who is your level and has your level katana may take a bit.

What else are crafting mats for? :v:

I presume you could use high grade mats to make high grade equipment to offer for high grade Amrita or items, but that doesn't sound like a fun or particularly intended method.

Also remember to stop by the smithy after every mission and check out the special items that go on sale, I forget what Tome calls them. Materials will be for sale there from time to time, and that's a good way to offload some money. I think there's some correlation between talking with Tome and spending money at the smithy that will eventually open up shop bonuses, which is where you can unlock hairstyles. You'll get points to spend there to do things like increase or improve the stock she carries, increase the money she gives you when you sell stuff, decrease the cost of forging, etc. So talk to her if you haven't, and buy poo poo too.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

Is there an easier free way to reset familiarity on a weapon besides that blades of light omnyo spell?

Why? What's the benefit?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

More samurai points without having to switch weapons.

Are you positive the you gain proficiency from familiarity? My experience shows that you gain proficiency from hitting enemies, regardless of familiarity gained. A weapon with full familiarity shouldn't give you less proficiency in the weapon. Also, weapons you have equipped but are not using will gain familiarity but not proficiency, suggesting that there's no correlation between the two.

Deified Data posted:

I've been on a roll of missing exactly one kodama per level so far, which makes the hunt for the last one feel extra futile. I didn't even know kodama sense was a thing. I should read more item descriptions.

It's interesting to see how much more useful the mini map becomes when you have some "Sense X" abilities. Sense Amrita, Treasure, and Enemies is what I'm rolling with currently and it's great. I'm on the lookout for a kodama sense item though, I miss about half each stage.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 9, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Hey, for people who are wondering if certain equipment bonuses stack, there's a page in the Status screen that shows all your active bonuses. That's where you'll see the cumulative totals for everything.

My question: What does a yellow bonus on a piece of equipment signify? I thought it was indicating bonuses that were on more than one piece of your current equipment, but that's not the case. I've seen it on Life + and Luck + and I think Dodge Ki Usage. I know the blue bonuses are ones that get better with more familiarity, but the yellow ones remain a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've finished off more than half the bosses I've fought by chucking bombs at them from a safe distance. Like, I'll get aggressive in the beginning but I've played enough Souls games to know that it's the last three hits that'll make me impatient and get killed getting greedy. I've got no problems lobbing explosives at problems, and the hand cannon's great for it. My stats don't really align with hand cannon usage, but it feels real good to get a bit of space, hunker down with the cannon, then blow a hole in a boss coming straight at me. The Centipede seems practically designed to eat ranged damage since you can pretty easily force it to take a long and winding route around the arena to get to you, so feed it some explosive rounds.

As long as William doesn't find some book detailing the Bushido code I will resort to pirate tactics to become the best samurai in Zipangu.