Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game seems pretty cool and has some real potential but man I hope the final version runs better. Maybe I'm just way too used to playing games on my PC but I feel like it's running sub 30. The camera is a real problem too.

And it's definitely tough starting out but once the combat clicked it felt pretty good. It's weird to not auto-face your enemy when locked on though.

Things I'm digging:
- the loot
- bows and arrows being badass as all hell
- good potential for Fashion Souls
- kind of the sequel to Kengo: Master of Bushido I never knew I wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

8-Bit Scholar posted:

gently caress my rear end the stamina system in this game just doesn't let up.

Is there a trick here? Somebody mentioned hitting R1 and I seem to be able to like...briefly restore stamina before losing it again? What the heck?

I think there's something about dashing away where you can regain stamina quick.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lakbay posted:

I'd say this is a bad point because of the static loot placement being souls style. If they're going for Diablo style loot, why would I risk trying to get loot in dangerous territory when it's going to be garbage 90% of the time like Diablo? It's easier just to farm enemies near the shrine. It punishes exploring when that should be a draw of the game.

Yeah the more I play the more obnoxious it gets. It's strange for every enemy to just loving explode into two pieces of armor and a weapon and after every run my inventory is clogged with garbage.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah the game feels much more stat heavy than a Souls game. The jump in requirements to do damage to things (and the damage they do to you) between the first and second stages is obnoxious. The big red rear end in a top hat on the island in the cemetery can kill me easily in two hits. gently caress those guys suck, not being ably to stagger or interrupt them blows.

Zaphod42 posted:

At the very least they need to let you pick up all the items in an area or from a single "drop" with a single button press.

Finding an item, opening it only to have it spill out 3 more items, and then having to pick those up individually as well is tedious.

You can sell items by "make offering" at shrines if you need to ditch stuff, get some spare Amarita for it, but I feel you.

It helps that you can bulk sell things through various searching options at the shrines.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo this game plays and runs so much better once you switch from Movie to Action mode. Shame about how it looks though, it gets aliased all to hell.

Consoles amirite.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Snak posted:

Also the bloodstain revenants essentially let you fight extra and varied enemies if you want. It's important to remember that while there are a lot of design choices in common with soulsgames, Nioh is also very loot-driven and will almost certainly have a farming aspect.

The help bubble for the familiarity number of items says "The higher your familiarity, the better a chance at finding the Smith Amrita when you disassemble it." which I think means that there's going to be a whole "disenchant weapons to unlock weapon crafting components" aspect of the game.

Oh I was wondering about that. Interesting.

And yeah once I got to level 2 and started getting wrecked I just fought a bunch of bloodsword ghosts and increased all my gear and found myself on much even footing. Yeah it kinda sucks that I had to grind in order to to that but it wasn't all that long and I kinda like fighting other players' corpses.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I kinda hope there's more than just three different weapon types in the final version, that might get kinda old.

And I wonder how the Ninja Gaiden games hold up now, especially in light of the Souls series being so popular. I never beat any of them but I remember 1 being great and 2 having some series issues and after that it was pure trash. Shame I don't have any way to play them now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy crap I had no idea you could completely stunlock bosses with your spirit animal powers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhXWYZxTVg&t=279s

Zaphod42 posted:

realistic feudal Japanese fighting

Haha uhhhh

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
More that even with normal attacks you're still doing crazy flips with a giant anime axe and teleporting all over the place. Bushido Blade and Kengo are definitely way more on the realistic side than this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I'm legit curious as to what the actual story is in this game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just loving love monsters out of Japanese folklore and I finally have another game with some weird thing going "yyyyoooooooo" and "aaaawwll aaaaawwll" in the background.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Nue can suck my balls.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The crawling enemies are the loving worst, their grab attack feels very off, like it has a really really good hit box and they can launch into it with very little in the way of tells.

You can be grabbed while in midair doing jumping/spinning heavy attacks. It's kinda complete bullshit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
EAT poo poo NUE.

Summoned a swordbro in and he helped me take him down but even with another person + me stunlocking him with Fish Power for a decent chunk it still wasn't an easy fight.

This game has a lot of potential but isn't perfect and I gotta say my least favorite part about it is how loot level locked it is. I went back and played the first stage (and it seems like only the little green spirits get saved) and I was pretty much invincible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Something I noticed that's kinda odd/bad is that in a given level if you attack an enemy and, say, knock it off its perch or into a place it otherwise is trapped in it'll eventually teleport back to its spawn point. Thankfully it retains any damage you've done but man, why do that?

Also what carries over between replaying levels? I think the little spirits you've found do but do shortcuts stay unlocked?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ugh that kinda sucks. Yeah I wonder what the replayability of the full game is going to be and if there's even a reason to go back to previous missions.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

IthilionTheBrave posted:

What's everyone else's thoughts on how they think it should be handled?

I'm no weeb but yeah they should at least be consistent and I'm cool with them using the Japanese names. Yeah I had to look up what certain things are in their item descriptions but that was one time and I learned something new. Neat!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do not mind your character being a glass cannon if the enemies are too. It feels weird that every enemy is objectively stronger than you are.

There needs to be some concept of interrupting attacks for the oni/yokai enemies. It's bad enough how the cyclops and the red dudes don't react to your hits at all, even the small dudes don't even flinch when smashed with a power attack from a giant axe. It feels lovely to constantly be attacked through your own strong attacks that are landing squarely.

This was my #1 biggest problem with Lords of the Fallen too. The Souls games have very specific rules about staggering and interrupting and while those concepts exists in Nioh and Lords they're not really consistent.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

There is a rule for this, you can only interrupt them if you drain their ki. Same goes for the bosses. But if you do they are completely hosed.

That's not entirely true though. I'm not talking about ki drains which are the equivalent to Dark Souls's poise crushes. I'm just talking about enemies reacting in any way to being hit. The human enemies do this even if their ki isn't completely drained. The demon enemies mostly do not.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Real hurthling! posted:

In reflection on the demo lvl2 felt really weak and i hope it doesn't make it into the game unchanged.

Yeah the majority of it is just dudes out in the open without a whole lot of interesting level design. The first level was way better.

lets hang out posted:

you just need to kill the statue guys right next to it

You can get to the shrine without aggroing or needing to fight the statues.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I dunno, I felt the hitboxes and i-frames in this game seemed pretty fair and accurate. Getting hit is brutally punishing but at least he telegraphs all of his attacks like crazy.

Unlike Nue, that fucker. I never figured out the timing to half of his poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

Degradation sucks and I am glad it's gone.

It's weird when games have mechanics that do almost nothing. Obviously it was just a demo/beta but degradation in Nioh was just kinda...there. It was something that could have an impact I guess but never actually did.

It was a thing in Dark Souls 2 for sure and an annoyance in previous entries. It sure as hell didn't need to be there in Bloodborne (save for the Tonitrus) and I've literally never repaired a single thing in Dark Souls 3.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah here's hoping the drop rate is way less than in the alpha. Inventory management isn't fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My favorite part of Lords of the Fallen was how my dashing heavy attack was by far my fastest so I ended up sprinting and lunging all over the goddamn place. It wasn't the worst game ever but boy was the combat dire. Everything was so sluggish and there was no weight behind anything.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait which part can't you do? I'm not sure what I'm looking at there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just realized that my buddy still has my PS4 :saddowns:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Monolith. posted:

Nioh is also great as enemies (so far at least) don't impossibly pivot and track your rolling. Let that stay with Dark Souls please.

gently caress those salamanders in DkS2.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lakbay posted:

If you quit mid mission (going all the way back to the world map/mission selection) EVERYTHING gets reset including loot

Do the shortcuts stay unlocked if you BEAT a mission at least?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah yup this game is still pretty good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Man is it just me or are the boss fights just kinda...not very fun still? I feel like I have a hard time figuring out how to actually do decent damage other than waiting for my magic to recharge. Is there a trick to actually doing damage? I feel like I don't understand:

1) what causes bosses to reel back and take extra damage
2) what causes bosses to get into stunlock mode, how to keep them there, or any visual indication of how long it'll last
3) how to keep my spirit animal magic going. it's just don't get hit right?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I will redouble my efforts to hit bosses until they fall over.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did I just watch a man tell time with a cat?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

RatHat posted:

Yeah, this game has a weird tone.

I legit miss weird Japanese games like this. Bring on da chucklefucks.

e: I feel like the Oni in the cave level should have been what you fight in the first town map. They're so much easier and simpler than those hit like a truck screen filling flailing red dudes

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I haven't beaten the cave yet but the only Oni I've fought there was some skinny, tall zombie with a big axe in the boss's office. All he really did was walk forward and do an overhead swing that was mad easy to dodge and he went down like a bitch. Those guys definitely aren't in the first level.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wow this cave really is a "the real enemy is the camera" level isn't it.

e: also grab attacks in Souls games are still complete bullshit

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The bats are so cheap, goofy, and bad looking I really can't be mad at them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's stupid how much I want to keep playing this game.

It's bullshit how the vampire can just chain projectile stun you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Vampire pro tip: just loving let her do her thing and attack during her cooldowns. Her stun moves are crap but just give her room and learn timing and you can let her flail around as much as she wants.

But yo it's hot loving poo poo that when you go to fight that Unmatched Warrior there's no shrine so WHOOPS if you can't beat him there goes all your souls.

e: lol those wallpaper image resolutions for completing the survey what loving year is this

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 1, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Agnostalgia posted:

Himorogi branches are super common drops and you can carry like 10 of them, just get your grave and leave if you cant win.

Yeah that's what I was told but after playing all of the non-twilight content I still don't have one. :saddowns:

RIP those souls.

Phantasium posted:

I think you can hit her during a specific part of her grab to drain it all instantly.

Is that what that was? Yeah one time for seemingly no reason I hit her and she went loving flying through the air and crumpled to the ground.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I wonder if the full game lets you earn skill points as quickly as the beta. I kinda hope so because learning how to use them is way more valuable and fun than just unlocking the abilities.

Also for the passives that you can unlock for each branch, do they always apply even if you're not using whatever weapon they're under?

And I'm a little shocked at how easy those fire wheel dudes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not sure I like the twilight bosses that are just the same with adds thrown in. Feels kind of cheap and lovely honestly!

Also I think they need to up the damage on ground attacks. If you go through the effort of getting someone on the ground your reward should be an attack that does more damage than a normal goddamn sword swing. As it stands now an enemy being grounded is almost good for them because they can't take a lot of damage and they pop back up ready to attack with all their Ki. Whoops!