Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Drop attacks own.

Also it still shocks me that I'm playing a melee action game with ranged combat worth a drat. I love headshotting dudes in Nioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Real hurthling! posted:

please ask for 2 handed aim/fire to return in the survey so that it is even better.
the new controls are a huge step back imo

Wait what was it before?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did you try getting good?? :xd:

For real when I get stuck I spend some time dueling phantoms and I usually end up a little smarter about gameplay systems and with better loot. Not saying it's for everyone but I've been right there with frustration and got over it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Trick Question posted:

I'm not sure how good you would have to be to prevent the game from crashing, but I'm definitely not getting there in three days.

I'm not sure how much dueling phantoms would help, since like 75% of the enemies seem to be demons which, as far as I can tell, ignore a lot of gameplay mechanics or use them differently.

Yeah I have to apologize, I was a little drunk when I typed that. Sorry it's crashing for you, I'm honesty surprised how good and solid the alpha and beta have been.

Just in general everything about how this game has been rolled out is unusual for a Japanese company.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hrmm I really don't think I like fighting a whole lot of guys at once in Nioh. The twilight field level is just kind of a mess of visual noise, uneven terrain, and clumps of enemies. They don't really fight together but instead just sort of flail around together in a big ball of hurt.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah in games like Batman and other brawlers it's set up where enemies don't all just attack at once and group fights are manageable because of it. I mean hell even Ninja Gaiden did it because those were set encounters.

In Nioh there are tooltips about fighting multiple things being foolish but there's not a lot you can do about that if they just all spawn in! I can't recall any areas in the Souls games that treat encounters like that. You always can control over who you pull and where in the environments.

Also boy do the amrita memories do nothing for me. They're almost all "nooo don't kill me!"

e: also it's kind of hilarious that you can get unique drops from revenants. I now have the Warrior of the East's helmet!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlm24kBFtU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm very sad that this doesn't have a concrete release date. Here's hoping they hit this year!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm a bit worried that with the loot system none of the weapons or armor are ever going to feel special or unique. Maybe crafting will help that, I didn't touch it in the beta.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wait why is the action mode the same for each.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hopefully it'll be the same resolution and also 60 but with more graphical features enabled.

e: not that I'm going to get a PS4 Pro or play this game on a 4K TV

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hasn't every Yakuza game after he first one not had any English voice acting? Those definitely had disks pressed for NA.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I didn't know this game was a Shrek crossover.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The randomized loot was Darksiders 2's saving grace. It was the poo poo quests and complete lack of puzzles that killed that game. Yes I'm still salty.

The loot in Nioh is way less egregious now that they removed durability. Now it's sort of like playing a Dark Souls game but imagine that when a Balder Side Sword drops there's a chance the stats will be different and it'll have passive effects.

e: it's also extremely easy in Nioh to dispose of loot you don't want and you actually get worthwhile poo poo for it

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh that sucks, getting a stack of talismans every time you died or rested was loving great in the last beta.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm kinda really into the dual blades. That combo ending roundhouse kick that drains Ki is stupid effective.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That just reminded me how rad the final kill for Onimusha's boss was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDldi2iG6g&t=470s

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah stuff like how you wish you had Nioh to play right now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Also blocking works really well in Nioh and way better than without a shield in Dark Souls. It's something you kinda have to get used to.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pretend I posted Polygon's DOOM video here.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Someone's a huge fan http://www.thejimquisition.com/nioh-review/

e: goddamn these are all coming in mega positive https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5rlpmc/nioh_review_thread_xpost_rps4/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Tech analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFGpzu8Mss

Action Mode or go home.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Ninja Gaiden 2 is one of the games that made me the most angry. For a game that hard to have a camera that bad is inexcusable.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

WaltherFeng posted:

Lol Nioh > Dark Souls erriday

That's what happens when you work on a game for 13 years. :madmax:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Monolith. posted:

Tell that to Too Human. If only it was more than four levels long.

Please trigger warning any mention of that game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh weird I think Amazon sent me two preorder goodie vouchers. If that's the case I'll offer one up here later.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

i-frames in this game either barely exist or exist in a different part of the animation than seems logical. Or this boss boss on the boat attack hitboxes are just insanely active and huge. Fought him about 20 times now.

It's a combination of all of the above. Don't be afraid to block way more than you would in a Souls game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This game loving owns and the only part I haven't liked is getting lost in that goddamn catacomb maze after a certain boss fight. gently caress that sucked.

First person to quote me who has PMs gets an Amazon preorder code which actually has Good poo poo in it especially for Fashion Souls.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Snak posted:

Did they nerf salt? I couldn't get it to do anything. I remember it being super powerful against yokai in the beta. Last night I tried to use it against one of the big cyclops yokai three times and it had no effect. Am I using it wrong? Walk up to them, throw it at them point blank, right?

I've been trying that too and nothing is happening. It's really goddamn weird as that's how I took down powerful bosses in the beta.

Ataxerxes posted:

Ha! So waiting for workday to end to play this.

Sent! Enjoy ur codes. The armor you get is pretty goddamn solid for the first 3 levels or so.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I can't tell if this game is easier than the betas or just way better balanced. Regardless it's a loving blast.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pro Tip: fight lots Revenants when you have an AI companion because holy lol they're easy. Thanks for the free set equipment!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Davincie posted:

can you summon them like in souls somehow, or are they mission specific?

They're just wherever people have died so you see a bunch around tough encounters usually.

NOTE: finishing a mission's quest objective will lock you out from doing anything other than picking up stuff on the ground until you leave.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Umi-bozu can eat my loving rear end.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Emalde posted:

Use fire :supaburn:

Yeah I did but I kept getting caught in his one-hit kill attack, mostly after a boat spit. He can also do it instantly as soon as you walk through the door and he has ANOTHER one-hit kill attack when he's in the middle and spreads out. It suuuuucks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zaphod42 posted:

Just run around back and forth in the middle. He can't track you well if you're moving fast. Easier to run back and forth than to time a dodge. Once you get that, he's easy.

Oh he's well dead. I just wanted everyone to know he can eat my rear end.

Question: am I blind or is the spear ability where you leap over an enemy and attack from above gone?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Last dumb question but probably not really: has anyone successfully landed a sneak attack back stab? Every time I walk up behind someone unawares and press triangle I just do a regular hard attack instead of the canned animation.

And yeah I have the skill purchased.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Argh I didn't think to try and lock on first. Okay I'll look out for that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Magic CAN be extremely powerful but it's not like you're going to be using it all the time. However for what it is if you spec in that direction when you do decide to whip it out you can wreck face.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So is there a clan y'all have joined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm in the second act now and killed the centipede boss and I'm noticing that none of the bosses are really wrecking my poo poo like Hino-Emma did. She must have pushed my poo poo in at least 2 or 3 dozen times before I had her down pat enough to actually put her down. With Nue or whatever the lightning dog is called it took me like 3 deaths to work out his attack pattern then I cold cocked him the next time. The Doppelganger that you fight in the bottom of the crypt I punked on the first go though I had to eat all my elixirs by the end of it. On the centepede boss I killed him the first time with basically no effort, it felt like a lukewarm mid-stage roadblock enemy with slightly more health than a proper boss.

Those tongue guys in that Act 2 substory gave me more grief than the last two bosses.

Yeah not all of the bosses are all that hard. The Centipede is more of a cool gimmick and in Act 3 the Spider Queen is easier than most yokai you fight. It's kinda weird.

And I don't remember the name of the clan I joined but it's the one where you get a luck boost. Hellyeah drops.