Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey so I played through about half of the base game earlier this year, really enjoyed it but got distracted and stopped playing, been meaning to get back in and finish it off and I just saw the season pass is on sale. Is it worth grabbing right now and saving the £10? I know it's extra areas that go on after the main game and then extra difficulty modes and stuff that I assume can be applied to every mission? Are the extra areas pretty different from the main game, that's always a big thing I like in extra dlc, adding a bit more variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Cool, purchased then. Probably won't see much of that stuff for a bit, suspect the game will take some time to chew through but figured I'd definitely want it when I get there so may as well grab it now. Do the new weapons have a chance of dropping in all the content just like other weapons once you have the DLC installed?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nope, I haven't beaten the game and there were foxes on that level, just did it on Sunday. Maybe they got added in one of the last DLC patches or something if they weren't always there?

Been steadily playing through the game after buying the season pass in the sale, it's pretty drat good apart from some of the loot issues. Can be a bit of a pain when you finish a mission and realise you have like 200 items to sell/disassemble.

When I actually beat it, should I just play the DLC levels straight away? Take it they're balanced for around the level you finish the main game in the first playthrough right? I know the game has a new game plus but you can just switch between that and regular game so I assume I'll be good.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

I'm having a hard time with the proficiency system in that it doesn't seem to work at all for Onmyo magic. I can use all the talismans I want, but the proficiency stays at 0 points. I must be missing something obvious here.

I might be wrong and you might already be doing this and still not getting the points but you had to level up the stat that governed Onmyo magic to get points for it in Nioh 1 I think, would assume the same applies here.

This last chance demo was interesting, I was fully intending to buy the game the day it came out but the demo level was pretty uninspiring, kind of flat, brown and dull. The yokai zones were quite irritating and the boss took me a few tries and was pretty fun, satisfying as hell when I got him.There was a lot of stuff to take in from the very start as well, I think in the full game it'll be easier as it'll be introduced gradually. Or at least I hope. Dunno now though, think I'll wait and see what the consensus is before buying it.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 1, 2020

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

It's been ages since I played the original Nioh, so refresh my memory? My Magic skill is 11 right now.

Hmm, sorry. I can't remember exactly, it's been ages for me as well. I feel like you got points when you levelled the stat and there were items that gave you points as well, same with Ninjitsu.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

My big complaints were that the level design is sometimes a bit rote

Is it similar to Nioh 1 in that respect? Mostly villages, fortresses, caves and temples? I think I can live with that if so.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Yes, pretty much. There's a bunch of cool soulsborne-esque exploration and finding of secrets and hidden paths, unlocking shortcuts and new routes, all the stuff you'd expect.

But honestly I'd be hard pressed to describe that many of the levels to you, just like with the original Nioh. It's not bad, but it's not like Yharnam levels of amazing.

The most notable levels I can remember from the original Nioh are the ones in the forest with the lightning tiger thing as the boss, the ninja trick house level and the one in the flooded lakeside temple/town which were genuinely pretty cool but yeah none of those are comparable to the best levels from the From Souls games. As I said though, can live with that if Nioh 2 is similar. Would be more problematic if the design had regressed from that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That snake boss if loving me up. Managed to get him down to very close to dead a few times but always gently caress it up and get caught by his grab coming out of me blocking the sweep or something. Took a break cause I was getting frustrated in a way I haven't at a game in a very long time, usually when that happens I beat it first time when I next play. Does he have any weaknesses really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

The biggest tip I can give is to cut off the snake's arms ASAP with attacks that hit high. Generally get a weapon that can reach high, then loving go ham on those snake arms until they're dead. They regrow after the yokai realm phase, but if you get rid of them then the snake loses some of his most hosed up attacks.

Yeah I was doing that, cheers for the tip though. I did just need to take a break and get some lunch, as soon as I came back to the game I beat it in one go.