Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I played through Nioh 1 and the dlcs before starting 2 and felt it was worthwhile. Even if it's less fleshed out than the systems and refinements in 2 it's still a great time and there is a lot of game there.

The Nioh collection is really just an absurd value proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that sounds fantastic.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still need to finish Nioh 2 and Stranger of Paradise but that all sounds great to me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I need to finish it and break into the DLC, but SoP is a really good time and they go all in, transforming it from something dumb to really endearing and brilliant. Worth a look if you like Nioh, doubly so if you like Final Fantasy.

Hell yeah, Wo Long demo

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t work on all bosses, but the funniest combo I did was axe berserker and red mage. Buff self with haste 3, use one of the lifesteal mp abilities from another job (blood weapon iirc), then just hulk out. You move and attack absurdly fast from the haste, you don’t care that berserking prevents potion use due to lifesteal, and axe has a bunch of hard multihit attacks you can combo into and a ton of stagger resistance.

I went in with that against the FF9 stage boss without knowing anything about it and the fight was over (on Hard) in like 75 seconds on the first attempt. Ran it again for the FF8 stage boss immediately after and won that on the second attempt.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I completed Nioh 1 before starting 2; I wouldn’t be unable to go back to the first by any means but the sequel is a very nice step forward.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Theotus posted:

Came back to Nioh 2 after a long break, game rules.

I did the same thing the other day, can confirm, game still owns

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished Nioh 2 last night. I mean technically I only broke into NG2 and did The First Samurai on NG1 difficulty because my 170 gear was gonna turn that DLC into a cruise control victory lap on normal if I didn’t step up, so no Underworld or anything. But I completed every mission, and finished up with Against All Comers, which was just a perfect finale (I laughed when they followed up the double Otekemaru fight with a Special Guest Star). Splitstaff was cool, fists were hilariously monstrous especially when I learned the gospel of Opportunist, Reckless Charge and Izuna Drop stun loops on human enemies (and putting paralysis on Kick Cycle does a ton of work).

Fantastic game and series. 2 just had so many great tweaks and enhancements that even if it was basically Nioh 1.5 it was just a joy to play.

Now to take a short break before I pick my Stranger of Paradise run back up in prep for Wo Long.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

40 Proof Listerine posted:

What should someone just getting into Nioh 2 know

I have not played Nioh 1 and this first mission is jumping into the deep end

At least they're kind enough to tell you not to fight Gozuki

There’s several skills in the samurai tree to give you extra ki if you stance swap while ki pulsing (flux IIRC) and another one to make you auto-pulse when you dodge. You want both of those asap to help manage resources and clear yokai puddles in combat. You also can get your first ninjitsu and onmyo magic points in combat by using consumables (bombs/shuriken for the former, talismans for the latter). It’s easy to get proficiency/skillpoints in those from then on since ninjitsu/onmyo you learn and equip recharges at shrines. You can find items in stages to give you those skillpoints later on but consumables can give you an early leg up.

Beyond that, just experiment and know that both Nioh games have a fairly stonewally early boss or two, then are largely smooth sailing. There are also basically zero permanent decisions, so don’t hesitate to try new things, you can easily and cheaply respec later on.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mainly used magic in 2 for support, where there’s lots of good choices. My stealth MVP talisman lategame was actually Extraction combined with some “heal on Amrita absorb” passives. It enabled ridiculous pressure on bosses, particularly Reckless Charge on fists; I’d rush in, reckless would give me some armor, I’d knock a bunch of amrita loose to heal the damage I was taking, then I could systematically blow through enemy ki and start stagger loops (especially on human bosses combined with Izuna Drop).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it’s still a bastard, but weapon selection can make a big difference in my experience (something that can hit and kill the arms before the dark realm will help make that phase a lot safer). But some folks didn’t have much issue with the bat yokai boss in the first game that was also a potential stonewall.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fists and splitstaff was my weapon loadout and I had so much fun with them both.

For fists, make sure you don’t sleep on Reckless Charge, it’s an armored guard move that advances and lets you keep up hilarious amounts of pressure on even bosses as they attack. Fists also get a parry skill that works on a lot of boss attacks, so between that and yokai skills (I liked feral) you can just bully things.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I never consistently got the fist stack thing working, so I really think it does boil down to how you play and certainly isn’t a dealbreaker if it doesn’t fit your style.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I assume they realized it was a bit of a janky fight because they don’t keep pulling Gyuki in for side missions or boss gauntlet type affairs like a lot of the other targets.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
SoP is great, they lean so hard into the bit that it wraps around into being incredibly endearing and sincere and reverent to the source material. The combat’s certainly not as in depth as Nioh but it’s workable enough, and they make it extremely easy to do the obligatory powergaming gear grind to jump into DLC difficulties so that’s handy too.

Highly recommended. I would suggest remapping the attack buttons to the face buttons on the controller a la Nioh than rely on the bumpers/triggers for swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I always forget to block and just focus on dodging all the time, so light armor is what I usually go for.

I did light armor in my Nioh 2 run for the most part and it worked fine if you’re good with the approach. You’re really not going to hit 200 toughness (which gives you one hit of super armor) using light, I tried to find a way to do it and it just wasn’t happening since toughness is more or less directly correlated with armor class and you probably aren’t getting anywhere enough from the rest of your items.

Fists do get an armored forward charge that helps compensate nicely, though.