Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big black turnout

Gomi Day posted:

just bought some delirium tremens for the first time, this evening!

it's hecka good.

delerium nocturnum is even better, imo, but much harder to find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

big black turnout posted:

delerium nocturnum is even better, imo, but much harder to find

Gomi Day posted:

it's hecka good.

what types of beer are these?

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
have you guys tried Pabst Blue Ribbon?

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Luvcow

One day nearer spring

mister magpie posted:

it reminds me of my friends who went to private school and then the people i knew that went to UVM and UNH

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i was a natty light guy in high school, when we found natty light bottles it was like the holy grail. we found a six pack in a gas station in central mass on a road trip my senior year and everyone took a bottle as like a sacred object, me and the gang

Gomi Day

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.

Luvcow posted:

delirium tremens is a "belgian strong pale ale"

it's a bit spendy, at 4 bucks canadian for a 330ml bottle, but god drat..

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1385/

i'm totally gonna see if i can seek out delerium nocturnum, now!

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 6, 2016

big black turnout

Luvcow posted:

nocturnum is a Belgian strong dark ale and tremens is a Belgian strong pale ale

mister magpie posted:

used to be my go to cheap beer

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

big black turnout posted:

nocturnum is a Belgian strong dark ale and tremens is a Belgian strong pale ale

Gomi Day posted:

delirium tremens is a "belgian strong pale ale"

it's a bit spendy, at 4 bucks canadian for a 330ml bottle, but god drat..

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1385/

i'm totally gonna see if i can seek out delerium nocturnum, now!

i can get into pale ales, for me though i always struggle through the first one and then it becomes delicious like really sharp stinky cheese

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Enjoyng some Grunting Holzen IPA from Putty Likt Brewery. It's made with fermented kale

yoober

delirium tremens is alright but compared to other belgians the only thing that sets it apart is the pink elephants on the promo material.
all of the trappist imports are way better and so is pretty much everything from Ommegang (three philosophers might be my favorite heavy beer in the world). but most importantly if you like the belgian style im happy for you.

also here's a plug for Unibroue from Montreal. they bottle condition everything and i love that tasty sludge.

big black turnout

yoober posted:

delirium tremens is alright but compared to other belgians the only thing that sets it apart is the pink elephants on the promo material.
all of the trappist imports are way better and so is pretty much everything from Ommegang (three philosophers might be my favorite heavy beer in the world). but most importantly if you like the belgian style im happy for you.

also here's a plug for Unibroue from Montreal. they bottle condition everything and i love that tasty sludge.

oh heck ya unibroue rules. i think la fin du monde and ephemere are probably my faves

alnilam

there is an extremely special ciderhouse in pittsburgh called Arsenal Ciderhouse (named after the old civil war arsenal here that blew up one time) that makes the best cider I've ever had, and i always make a point to visit local boozeries when I travel

anyway i drank a bunch of their shiz tonight mmmmm

ty manifisto

Macnult

My friends picked up some Dogfish Head Bitches Brew, I picked up some whiskey, and now we're sitting around listening to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew.

Macnult

Anyone try any gluten-free beer that was actually good? Whiskey is nice and all but I'd really like to sit back and enjoy a beer for once.

alnilam

Macnult posted:

Anyone try any gluten-free beer that was actually good? Whiskey is nice and all but I'd really like to sit back and enjoy a beer for once.

Stone's "delicious ipa" is mostly gluten free, not certified and probably not enough for someone with full blown celiac's, but my friend who is merely "gluten sensitive" says it doesn't give her indigestion and other beers do

Slugnoid

I'm pretty sure coronas are meant to be "low gluten" but I wouldn't go drinking it if i had celica disease

Killa B

yoober posted:

palmetto espresso porter from Charleston and I bet it can be found in Myrtle Beach. it was real good.

Thanks for the head's up. I sent him the text after reading this and he said he'll take a look. Of course he said that he won't tell me if he got it or anything until he gets back just to keep me in suspense. My friend is an rear end in a top hat.

SniperWoreConverse

So I have a mead update if you'd care to hear about it

I racked it and also tasted some.
  • I prob let it sit on the yeast too long
  • it restarted fermenting again
  • it tastes kind of harsh as gently caress,
  • using blood oranges made it very tangy but kind of gross too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

Macnult posted:

My friends picked up some Dogfish Head Bitches Brew, I picked up some whiskey, and now we're sitting around listening to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew.

Theres a dogfish head location in our area where you can get that stuff on tap.

yoober

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So I have a mead update if you'd care to hear about it

I racked it and also tasted some.
  • I prob let it sit on the yeast too long
  • it restarted fermenting again
  • it tastes kind of harsh as gently caress,
  • using blood oranges made it very tangy but kind of gross too

I made mead once and it wasn't my favorite beverage either. I hung out with this one guy at a tiny brewery once who was the owner's dad so he got to play around a bit and he was into mead hardcore and he was of the opinion that mead needs to age for at least a year and flavoring it with fruit is important because otherwise it tastes bad.

SniperWoreConverse

yeah, i'm hoping letting it sit for a while will smooth it out.
next batch is going to be blackberry I think

City of Glompton

Gomi Day posted:

it's hecka good.

I'm having one for the first time tonight, and it is a treat, once I got past my fear of popping corks

alnilam

I love popping corks

It's not that scary just keep you hand over it

Or don't if you want to see how far it'll shoot (outdoors recommended)

big black turnout

my cork popping tip is to use your shirt to cover the bottle while popping it's less scary than your hand

Terminal Entropy

if there is a cage on it, leave it after doing 5 turns of 'knot', and just twist the cork off

SniperWoreConverse

I usually sword it open

maporfic
champagne of beers for me.

Robot Made of Meat

maporfic posted:

champagne of beers for me.

Same here!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Syndic Thrass
I watched the ranch which is a funny Netflix show with Ashton Goocher and Danny Masterson (Hyde and Kelso from that 70s show) and the loving Marlboro man in a funny show. They drink Jim beam. I like Jim beam so I bought some Jim beam and now I'm drinking Jim beam

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah, i'm hoping letting it sit for a while will smooth it out.
next batch is going to be blackberry I think

mead takes forever to mellow out, like a year to be kind of good usually. bottle it up and hide it, make a batch every few months, then after awhile have nonstop mead

i'm a little concerned about the raisin addition :ohdear:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
also wanna say that homebrewing good belgian ales is pretty easy with stovetop extract/grain recipes and good liquid yeast.

belgian yeast strains still make good flavors at warmer temps than english or american strains. I've had success with wits and dubbels in my house with the thermostat at 78. white labs has a good chart that even describes what flavors/aromas come out in their belgian strains at diff temps

strong ones do need a lot of time to mature, but you can knock out a decent wit or table beer in 6-7 weeks. less if you use corny kegs

alnilam

My friends and i made meade once and after 6 months it was bad so we thought it was a failure and left it forgotten in a closet until one day there was no booze left in the house and we wanted some so we sought the meade out of desperation and holy crap it had gotten good over its additional year of solitude

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
so just for shits and giggles how hard would it be to brew a natural light or other type cheap beer?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
they say well stored mead has no peak, like wine does. keeps getting smoothet

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Hugh Malone posted:

they say well stored mead has no peak, like wine does. keeps getting smoothet

does that have something to do with the "honey never spoils" thing?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Luvcow posted:

so just for shits and giggles how hard would it be to brew a natural light or other type cheap beer?

harder but not impossible. all-grain brewing set up, temperature controlled fermentation for ze lagering

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Luvcow posted:

does that have something to do with the "honey never spoils" thing?

i dunno, but i read the oldest bottle opened was in aystralia I think, like 100 yr old stuff, and it was supposedly amazing

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

lol my friends tried to prank me once by brewing a bud light clone in secret, they said it was the grossest looking wort ever and the main ingredient was "rice syrup solids"

They wanted to prank me good because i was always saying that homebrewing is so easy to at least make half decent beer, any home brewed beer was good, i would say, and they wanted to trick me into drinking one that was bad.

The joke ended up being on them because much to their dismay it actually tasted way better than actual bud light

alnilam

Like they handed it to me saying it was an "american ale " and i was like "hmm not bad, a little light but not bad" and they took a sip and were like gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

To this day i am very touched they put so much effort into it, and i feel really bad that i was a little out of it the day they pranked me because i had been dumped the day before

• Locked thread