Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, you seem to be pumping a few particular stats and have mentioned multiple times that we simply *won't* be using certain weapons because we will never have the stats for it.
Can you give us some insight into what build, in particular, including equipment, that you are aiming for?

Ultimately we'll find an item that allows some of our weapons to scale with luck. It'll be at least mid game before we're able to use it, but we'll be looking for at least 30 luck base probably. Because we'll be focusing on luck, our strength and dex stats will likely be fairly low compared to most other builds, and that rules out some gear for us. We'll also be getting at least 20 faith, maybe more so we can cast a couple miracles for fun.

As for gear, I don't have any big plans for armor - pretty much whatever we come across we can try on. We'll likely use our target shield a lot as well as a 100% physical block shield that's better than the one we currently have (once we find one). As for weapons, luck helps us stack up bleed, and that's sort of the theme for the playthrough, so I'm focusing on weapons that naturally inflict bleed. Two weapons I really want to try long term are the warden twinblades (which I've mentioned at least a couple times already, though not by name), and a curved sword that we'll have a chance to find in a future area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Shennanigans Afoot
We make our way past the other giant in the cathedral and run into an old friend!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised that you don't double-tap with the bow more often. At least in my playthroughs in DS1, I would shot, pause a half second, and send off a 2nd arrow. Even though it missed more often than not, the chance of getting a bit more damage as they recovered was worth it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
I'm surprised that, despite repeatedly getting his poo poo pushed in, Rojo continues to try and parry things that he obviously doesn't know the timing to.
Seriously, bro, just put on a 100% phys. resist shield and get going. You keep running out of STA because you keep trying to parry over and over.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

I'm surprised that you don't double-tap with the bow more often. At least in my playthroughs in DS1, I would shot, pause a half second, and send off a 2nd arrow. Even though it missed more often than not, the chance of getting a bit more damage as they recovered was worth it.

Probly should try that, honestly never even thought of it!

Dooky Dingo posted:

I'm surprised that, despite repeatedly getting his poo poo pushed in, Rojo continues to try and parry things that he obviously doesn't know the timing to.
Seriously, bro, just put on a 100% phys. resist shield and get going. You keep running out of STA because you keep trying to parry over and over.

Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Look, you're not totally wrong - I actually didn't parry much in my last playthrough because the estoc is strong as poo poo and no man needs to parry while wielding that weapon. So I'm just OK at it, but it's fun for me to figure out the timings and hopefully not too frustrating for you guys to watch when I blow it and eat poo poo. It is Souls after all, and if there was no risk of death it might not be quite as exciting to watch! At least my boss game has been on point so far, haha.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm A-ok with failed parries. It goes with this kinda overconfident character, who relies heavily on luck. And I'd say you're welcome to farm a bit for those twin blades if you're really set on doing that playstyle.

Also Also, I'm surprised you didn't yank the lever to re-raise those bridges. We need to pay Dear Old Patches a "visit" :fuckoff:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

Also Also, I'm surprised you didn't yank the lever to re-raise those bridges. We need to pay Dear Old Patches a "visit" :fuckoff:

SOON

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Where did Patches get the armor?
I sure hope Siegward is okay... :ohdear:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - Deep Faith
We catch up with our "friend" and find some creepy critters. At no point do I talk about armor puppetry even though we saw Patches wearing it in the last episode.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Shameful Display
We explore an rear end in a top hat of a swamp. Also there's probably a lesson in here somewhere...something to the tune of don't drink and Dark Souls when recording.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

So, I've been thinking.
If you insist on keeping a parry shield, why don't you roll with the blessed red and white shield? You can parry and it also has a passive health regen effect. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, I've been thinking.
If you insist on keeping a parry shield, why don't you roll with the blessed red and white shield? You can parry and it also has a passive health regen effect. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

That's a thought. I'll have to try it out to confirm, but I think the downside there is that it doesn't have the special parry frames that the target shield does. It's definitely totally possible to parry with regular shields, but I'd really have to be on my game for some of the tougher opponents. In that same line of thinking I believe we're going to get a 100% physical block shield with parry pretty soon, so we might be able to have our cake and eat it too. Either way, I do like the idea of having a blessed shield under the assumption that we get the passive HP regen from it.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 19, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Pokes and Plinks
We try to recover from last episode's pitiful performance and briefly revisit and old area.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Open Sesame
We continue working our way through the swamp and have some fun with a mini boss.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the other thing you were wanting to do was go check what special weapons are available now from Lt. Dan. :v:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey guys just a quick announcement - my mic stand broke. Unfortunately that means I probably won't be able to do any videos for the series for the next few days, but hopefully it'll be business as usual starting next week Monday.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

No worries, take your time.
In the end, the LP curse comes for us all... :kheldragar:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

No worries, take your time.
In the end, the LP curse comes for us all... :kheldragar:

Haha, very true!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Enjoy the time off, play another game as a breather, or practice speed running.
Either way, have fun!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Grind out the warden twinblades. :getin:

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

Enjoy the time off, play another game as a breather, or practice speed running.
Either way, have fun!

Thanks!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Grind out the warden twinblades. :getin:

That's not a bad idea actually.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Legion
We face off against the Undead Legion and discuss some things that I did off screen during my down time.

I might sound a bit different, not sure if it's better or worse yet. I'm trying out one of my other microphones with the new stand.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

If you're going for a luck build, are you eventually going to get Anri's sword and put a hollow enchant on it?
I was looking at DS3 videos earlier today and I saw that build and it was just... :staredog:

Edit: blacked out potential spoilers because I am a dumb. :downs:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 1, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

I won't rule it out, but let's talk about it when we get that far.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Fair enough, I wasn't quite sure if that was spoilers or not so I edited my post to be more in line with your response.
Is there a particular reason you're pumping Faith or is that just for miracles?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Fair enough, I wasn't quite sure if that was spoilers or not so I edited my post to be more in line with your response.
Is there a particular reason you're pumping Faith or is that just for miracles?

Just to try out a couple miracles. We might not go higher than 20-25 for Deep Protection and maybe a weapon buff.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 22 - A Simple Proposal
We begin our exploration of the Catacombs of Carthus, and catch up with Yuria who has something interesting to say about a certain NPC.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 23 - Jaunt into the Abyss
We continue to battle our way through the catacombs and happen upon a strange artifact.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 24 - Frostburn
We look for Irina, check out what's beyond Wolnir's door, and follow an alternate route.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah skull goblets, for all your thirst quenching.

The Abyss fight looked pretty hectic. Though I will say the only game that's done large enemies that I've enjoyed was Shadows of the Colossus. The wild camera swinging required for most other "giant boss" battles just messes with my sight.

Also, bonewheels! :argh:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

So, did Irina get so scared that she wandered off? Did Gruff McBigHammer or whatever carry her out?
Was he mad about her getting scared or getting out of the building? I just don't understand and Irina is ZERO help.
As for Anri's boyfriend/bodyguard, I think what happened was that they were purposefully separated by whoever is leading Anri and they dumped the grunt down in the lake. He's too slow to get past the ballista (is the ballista there to keep us out, keep him in, or both? :iiam:) and when we show up in the room, he automatically assumes that it was YOU that dumped him down there and separated him from Anri.
Can't really blame him, as he probably thinks the only way you could get past the ballista is if you know the secret password or something. It never crossed his mind to "try rolling".
What I'm saying is that DS3 is apparently From software's Medieval Waifu Simulator 2016.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

Ah skull goblets, for all your thirst quenching.

The Abyss fight looked pretty hectic. Though I will say the only game that's done large enemies that I've enjoyed was Shadows of the Colossus. The wild camera swinging required for most other "giant boss" battles just messes with my sight.

Also, bonewheels! :argh:

I hear you about the camera - some kind of ability to zoom out wouldn't go amiss on that fight.

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, did Irina get so scared that she wandered off? Did Gruff McBigHammer or whatever carry her out?
Was he mad about her getting scared or getting out of the building? I just don't understand and Irina is ZERO help.
As for Anri's boyfriend/bodyguard, I think what happened was that they were purposefully separated by whoever is leading Anri and they dumped the grunt down in the lake. He's too slow to get past the ballista (is the ballista there to keep us out, keep him in, or both? :iiam:) and when we show up in the room, he automatically assumes that it was YOU that dumped him down there and separated him from Anri.
Can't really blame him, as he probably thinks the only way you could get past the ballista is if you know the secret password or something. It never crossed his mind to "try rolling".
What I'm saying is that DS3 is apparently From software's Medieval Waifu Simulator 2016.

Those are some interesting thoughts. I assumed that Eygon took her because he went to check up on her while we were out and didn't like the state she was in, but your idea about her wandering off seems just as plausible. As for Horace, there's also the possibility that he went full hollow somehow. That's if he was a hollow like Anri anyway.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 25 - The Sneakiest Skelebro
We tie up some loose ends in the catacombs and then begin to explore the Demon Ruins.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 26 - The Quest for Fire (Resistance)
We continue exploring the Demon Ruins and search for an item we should have acquired long ago.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

So... Is there a reason that Tsorig is just chillin down in the lava room?
There's nothing else down there, so why is he there?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

So... Is there a reason that Tsorig is just chillin down in the lava room?
There's nothing else down there, so why is he there?

Honestly no idea, so I'm going to go with "because level design."

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 27 - The Hottest Potatoes
We take a couple lava baths and finish up or exploration of the ruins and lake.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

rojogames posted:

Episode 27 - The Hottest Potatoes
We take a couple lava baths and finish up or exploration of the ruins and lake.

Is that the intended time/method for going through the lava or do you get a ring that makes it more tenable a la DS1?
Also, no new vids for a few days, hope everything is cool?

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Is that the intended time/method for going through the lava or do you get a ring that makes it more tenable a la DS1?
Also, no new vids for a few days, hope everything is cool?

Sadly no ring as far as I know. Everything's good, just got a little behind. May try to catch up a little over the weekend, we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 28 - Shady Shiftings
Now that we're done with the frying pan, it's time to hop into the fridge that is Irithyll where we meet our friend Anri once again!

• Locked thread