Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
:staredog: JFC, with the number of women you've been stabbing in the face you should have named this character Jack the Ripper...

Edit: Update at the bottom of last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 44 - The Flight of Vernon
Everything went exactly as planned. Definitely.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Great LP. First time there, I did exactly that!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 45 - Windwalker
We fight our way further into Archdragon Peak to reach the Great Bell. We also accidentally witness the best riposte animation in the game.

Episode 46 - The True Dragon Rises
We get into an altercation with a familiar character and take another crack at the big boss of the Peak.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 13, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 47 - Up the Castle Steps
We make our triumphant return to Lothric Castle and find that it is well-guarded.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Aw poo poo, three episodes to catch up on

E:1 So far my feelings on this LP are:

"Lucky, or Good: Why not neither?"

AKA quit trying to parry when you can't, either practice for style or R1 spam like the game encourages. You had several times during the Hawkwood fight when all you had to do was dodge his opener and lay into him until bleed set in, but you traded blows instead.

I could quote people from Ep 10-20 about this, but seriously, either parry well or just play the drat game, man. I skipped 8 minutes because you nervously chuckled about being bad at games instead of playing to the strengths you've literally defined this build around.

E:2 the spear-wielding, lightning-using, dragon-rider is definitely Ornstein. Considering you get his set, and a dragon-slayer is explicitly mentioned in the soul description, and a dragon is found outside his boss fight in DS2... That is Ornstein as he is now, because From can't get enough of Ornstein being a comeback boss in several ways. Although he seems to borrow heavily from Gwyn's moveset, which is interesting, but all signs still point to "DRAGONSLAYER NOW DRAGONRIDER" as far as the Lordran Drudge Report goes

bawk fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 14, 2016

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

In video 45 at the 31 minute mark the summon sign is right there. I thought you had spotted it whilst fighting the snake dude and were going to go back and summon Hawkwood!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

thecluckmeme posted:

Aw poo poo, three episodes to catch up on

E:1 So far my feelings on this LP are:

"Lucky, or Good: Why not neither?"

AKA quit trying to parry when you can't, either practice for style or R1 spam like the game encourages. You had several times during the Hawkwood fight when all you had to do was dodge his opener and lay into him until bleed set in, but you traded blows instead.

I could quote people from Ep 10-20 about this, but seriously, either parry well or just play the drat game, man. I skipped 8 minutes because you nervously chuckled about being bad at games instead of playing to the strengths you've literally defined this build around.

E:2 the spear-wielding, lightning-using, dragon-rider is definitely Ornstein. Considering you get his set, and a dragon-slayer is explicitly mentioned in the soul description, and a dragon is found outside his boss fight in DS2... That is Ornstein as he is now, because From can't get enough of Ornstein being a comeback boss in several ways. Although he seems to borrow heavily from Gwyn's moveset, which is interesting, but all signs still point to "DRAGONSLAYER NOW DRAGONRIDER" as far as the Lordran Drudge Report goes

"Why not neither?" is something I've thought about, which is funny to me. I definitely overestimated my skill based on how easy the game generally was with the Estoc. Seriously, that weapon has it all. The interesting thing is that there are a few points in the game that I had a hard time with the first time around, and this time I breezed by them and vice versa. As far as parrying goes, I use it when it feels like what I'm doing isn't working...sort of like a last resort, though sometimes I do it just to mix things up a little. Sorry for the frustration - I do the same thing when I'm watching an LP where someone gets stuck on something for too long, so I definitely understand.

Your observation about Ornstein is interesting. I hadn't considered it because I don't recall him ever being referred to as a god at any point in the other games. Story aside, mechanically what you're saying kind of makes some sense - you tend to get the equipment of a character off of a corpse in a location related to them after they've died in the game, whether by your hand or otherwise. That's been pretty consistent throughout the series. Still, it seems like there might be a little retconning happening - in DS1 it was stated that the first born had already given up everything, but it seemed like Ornstein was in pretty good standing with the gods - he was still referred to as a knight of Gwyn I think. Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy there, though.

Catzilla posted:

In video 45 at the 31 minute mark the summon sign is right there. I thought you had spotted it whilst fighting the snake dude and were going to go back and summon Hawkwood!

Nicely spotted! I was focused on the snake guy and must have mistaken it for lighting glare. Or I'm blind.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 14, 2016

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think the Nameless King is Ornstein. I think it's much more likely that after the fall of Gwyn and all the subsequent shenanigans that happened because of Pontiff Sulyvahn, it's much more likely that Ornstein went looking for Gwyn's firstborn, who was a god of war, but who was forgotten because he lost the annals of history. When Ornstein showed up and actually FOUND the guy, he was excited. Probably right up until the point where he saw the dude riding on a dragon. Because Ornstein, as you're probably aware, is referred to as "Dragonslayer" and Gwyn is best known for using his lightning to kill the everlasting dragons, so to see his son being all chummy with them is probably pretty concerning.
To that end, Ornstein probably tried to convince the Nameless King to come back to Anor Londo and shove his electrified spear up the back side of Sulyvahn, but he said no. Ornstein, being the hot headed proud knight that he is, probably challenged the Nameless King and got his face melted.
That's why you find his set there. In my estimation, at least.
Although why Solaire went up to arch-dragon peak anyway is a mystery. :cheeky:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The common assumption among people I've heard is that the Cathedral of the Deep is what used to be the Way of White, and Aldrich was the head of it.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 48 - Armor Slayer
We progress further through the castle and fight one of the cooler bosses in the game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 49 - Nibble and Bite
We check out some things we skipped in the castle and catch up with Irina.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Holy poo poo has it really been almost 50 updates

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad to see Souls continuing the tradition that no one gets a happy ending, and it has to be a messed up ending indeed. :smith:

Also that crown is amazing.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 50 - The Pointed Lever
We enter the Grand Archives where an invader confuses me with his slick demeanor and points something out that I didn't notice until making the thumbnail for this video. Thanks, my red friend.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

I'm glad to see Souls continuing the tradition that no one gets a happy ending, and it has to be a messed up ending indeed. :smith:

Yeah that mostly seems to be the case, though I will say that there's another way for her story to end. Something people can look up or try in their own playthroughs.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 51 - Archive Rooftops
We uncover more of the Archives' secrets and make our way outside for a breath of fresh air.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 52 - The Three Amigos
We go up against one of the more difficult non boss encounters and lay eyes on a particularly interesting statue.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 53 - Rise, If You Would
We finally come face to face with the prince of Lothric after finishing our exploration of the castle.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
It's been a long road, but we've come to the end of the series. We had some ups and some downs, but overall I had a lot of fun with the build and hopefully you guys enjoyed our playthrough. Thanks to everyone who participated in the thread!

Episode 54 - Power of Cinder
We claim our last Lord and make our final rounds in the shrine, but there's also a small diversion back to the Grand Archives.

Episode 55 - Ashen Birthright
Things get weird. Again. Either way, it's time for us to bring this journey to an end!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey, just now catching up on the videos but I wanted to say thanks for completing the LP and I appreciated it.
:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When I went to the Final Boss I had a player summon who was an amusing Gimmick. He was Smough. Wearing the armour, wielding the hammer, everything :3: Just named his character Smough as well.

• Locked thread