Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Introduction
Most people are probably familiar with the Dark Souls franchise, but if you aren't I've got a little summary here for you. The primary defining attribute of the Dark Souls series is the hard, but fair combat. It's an action RPG with tight mechanics, and execution is key if you want to survive. However, in my opinion the game is just as much about knowledge and careful planning to make encounters with enemies more favorable to you. On top of that the game is steeped in rich, mysterious lore that often leaves a lot open to player interpretation.

In this game we rise as unkindled ash, a form of undead. The fire of the world is fading, and our purpose is to track down the wayward Lords of Cinder to return them to their thrones so that they can help prevent an age of darkness. As an undead, we can never truly die, rising again and again, though each time this happens we lose our souls - currency for power. We'll want as many souls as we can muster to help us on our journey so dying is less than ideal, as you can imagine.

About the Playthrough
I beat the game once already, so this won't be a blind playthrough. We're going to start as an assassin class, but we're going to be going for a luck build long term, possibly mixing in some faith. I'm hoping to try out a few different weapons to see what works well for us, and I'll do my best to fashion souls here and there to show off armor that we pick up. I'm also going to share my thoughts on the lore of the game, and how it may relate to earlier games in the series. I'll also mix in some mechanics discussion here and there, just so people understand why I'm making certain character choices. Finally, I'm going to do my best not to spoil the story for newcomers as we play through the game.

Update Schedule
This series is complete!

Thread Rules
You don't need to worry about spoiling things for me, but as a courtesy to people who are unfamiliar with the game make sure to tag spoilers for stuff that we haven't gotten to in a video yet.

Episodes
Series Playlist

It's video games. Every day...ish.
http://www.youtube.com/rojovision
http://www.twitch.tv/rojovision

rojovision fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
reserved

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Let's kick things off with 3 episodes!

Episode 1 - From the Ashes
We create our character and introduce the game a bit, after which we go through the tutorial area, tangle with our first boss, and meet some NPC's!

Episode 2 - High Wall
We move on to our first real area of the game and forget to pick up all of the items.

Episode 3 - Prison Pal
We pick up all those items we missed last time and meet an interesting fellow behind bars!

rojovision fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 28, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Sneaky Fast posted:

Calm the gently caress down. You are over the top

Your face is over the top. Oooooooo. But for real, I do a little EQ on my voice which helps kill the echo among other things. That might be part of what makes it distasteful for you...or maybe you actually think I'm trying too hard. Either way, fair enough...might not be the playthrough for you, sorry to disappoint.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 4 - Humanity
We fight our first real boss, meet up with a curious NPC, and discuss what it means to be unkindled ash in this world.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 5 - Hollowed
We consider what it means to be hollowed and start exploring the Undead Settlement!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Sneaky Fast posted:

Hey I was being an Internet jerk. Im sorry good luck on you LP

No worries, and thanks! Since I'm doing a luck build I'll take all I can get.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Coming out of lurk mode to say I'm watching and enjoying the videos.
Also, your dude looks like the ancestral grandpa of Dr. Robotnik.

Haha, if only they had a true Robotnik stache

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 6 - Mad Spirit
We do a little backtracking to follow a different path through the Undead Settlement, and run into a rather tough foe.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 7 - We Be Clubbin
We try out a new weapon and talk to some NPC's....so, so many NPC's.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Okay, Yuria, that's cool that you're Yoel's friend and all, but...
Why is he dead? :iiam:

Yeah, I'm wondering if she'll choose to fill us in at some point. If I had one complaint about DS3 it's that it feels like the NPC's don't have much to say when compared to the people from the previous two games.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 8 - Surprise Encounter
We run into a seemingly familiar face and finish up our exploration of the Undead Settlement.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, as much as I love Andre and SiegmeyerSquidwardSiegward and the rest of the old crew, it kind of feels like From went out of their way to make so many call backs to DS1 that it comes across like they had no real confidence that this game would be able to stand on it's own.
On the other hand, I can definitely see a lot of the influence that the creation and work on Bloodborne had for this game on everything from weapon and armor design, all the way to map layout, with the weird tombstones jutting out of the landscape like snarling teeth.
To me, the game just feels like the bastard love child of DS1 and Bloodborne.
Blood Souls? Dark Borne? :shrug:

I've heard DS3 described as a sort of celebration of the series, and I think that's what they were going for. I don't mind the throwbacks as long as they're tied together through the lore somehow (we'll see how much that happens as we play through the game), but I would have preferred less of them. That said, the level design in this game is top notch as far as the series is concerned, as are the combat mechanics. Because of that, I think DS3 is probably my favorite Dark Souls game.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Arcomage posted:

I got the impression that the callbacks are very much meant to be a statement of sorts for the lore, going back to where you first arrived at Firelink Shrine and learned that you're supposed to be reenacting the Linking of the Flames. All of this has happened before, and all of this will most likely happen again unless somebody breaks the cycle.

We'll see more lore stuff regarding this in the future, I'm sure.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 9 - Old Roads and New Faces
We take a different direction through the tower in the Undead Settlement, though it seems we can't help but meet new people!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Okay, so, we find Yuria, dressed in black(?) armor, standing over the body of our dead friend and she's carrying around a book of stories so horrifying that it just straight freaks out the blind girl.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she's not our friend.
She must be sacrificed to the club gods. :dunkedon:

Well to be fair, we don't know for certain that Yoel was our friend. He was also from Londor, after all. Irina is from Carim, which I suppose is sort of a culture that learns the traditional miracles, though in the past they've bred some unsavory sorts like Lautrec from DS1, and it's hard to read Irina's protector Eygon from what we've seen of him so far. I wish I remembered more about Carim lore, but it does imply that Londor and Carim are at odds, at least as far as faith is concerned. It seems like Londor's miracles are sort of like the hexes from DS2 - they deal with Dark, which in the previous two games was related to Humanity. Yoel gave us the Dark Sigils, which in turn (in my opinion) bring us closer to being a traditional undead (we sort of have humanity now) like in DS1 and 2, but the catch is we also hollow when we die now. In this world is that better or worse than being Unkindled? Either way we're still cursed by the Darksign, so I'm not sure there's a clear answer there. Londor is a land of hollows, and both Yoel and Yuria are calling us Lord, or more specifically, Lord of Hollows, but I don't know what that means yet. I'm sure we'll learn more about Yuria, and hopefully Londor in the future, and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 6, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 10 - Tower of Keepers
We take a look at the bell tower outside of Firelink Shrine, explore a previously inaccessible area in High Wall, and get our feet wet in the Crucifixion Woods.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey guys, just a heads up - I won't be able to get an episode out tonight. Hopefully I can do two tomorrow, though!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 11 - Crucifixion Invasion Situation
We comb through the Crucifixion Woods in search of treasure, but some spirits make things difficult!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You don't need to update every day, s'okay.

Yeah I know, I just want to do my best stick the the schedule I mentioned in the OP. Having a hard time getting 2 episodes up in a day just due to other series / upload / processing times, so we'll probably end up just doing a Saturday episode or something this week. Thanks for the patience!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I have some questions I want to ask you about how you game capture console titles, but would you rather I message you on youtube so as not to derail your thread?

I use an Elgato HD60. It only has an HDMI connection, so I have to run older systems through an analog (RCA, component, etc) -> hdmi converter box, which can have mixed results depending on the system / converter in my experience. It comes with its own recording software which has been fairly easy to use, though I haven't tried its editing features because I use Adobe's stuff that. If you need more info than that you can either send me a message on YouTube or Twitter @rojomojogogo. Hope that helps!

rojovision fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 11, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 12 - Sage and Sorcery
We find a couple of sorcerous types in the Crucifixion Woods ruins - one friend, and one foe.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 13 - Cathedral Path
We continue working our way toward the Cathedral of the Deep. At some point I talk about estocs, but probably mean rapiers.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Your thumbnail made me realize how baseball bat shaped the club is.
You know, now that I think about it, it would have been an interesting little nod if they had included a description with the giant baseball bat shaped weapon wrapped in spiky bits that had included the name "Lucille"...
On a mostly tangential note, it bothers my inner sperg that your name is Lucky Lacerator, but you use a blunt weapon... Yeah, I know it has "bleed", but it's still a big bloody stick.

Ha, yeah that's a fair point. I might end up farming off screen at some point for another raw gem or two so we can try a couple of other weapons.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 14 - Rooftop Roundabout
We fight past the bit roof sticking out of the Cathedral of the Deep and get our first look inside!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 15 - Lurker
We continue battling our way through the Cathedral of the Deep and run some rather nasty foes.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, you seem to be pumping a few particular stats and have mentioned multiple times that we simply *won't* be using certain weapons because we will never have the stats for it.
Can you give us some insight into what build, in particular, including equipment, that you are aiming for?

Ultimately we'll find an item that allows some of our weapons to scale with luck. It'll be at least mid game before we're able to use it, but we'll be looking for at least 30 luck base probably. Because we'll be focusing on luck, our strength and dex stats will likely be fairly low compared to most other builds, and that rules out some gear for us. We'll also be getting at least 20 faith, maybe more so we can cast a couple miracles for fun.

As for gear, I don't have any big plans for armor - pretty much whatever we come across we can try on. We'll likely use our target shield a lot as well as a 100% physical block shield that's better than the one we currently have (once we find one). As for weapons, luck helps us stack up bleed, and that's sort of the theme for the playthrough, so I'm focusing on weapons that naturally inflict bleed. Two weapons I really want to try long term are the warden twinblades (which I've mentioned at least a couple times already, though not by name), and a curved sword that we'll have a chance to find in a future area.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 16 - Shennanigans Afoot
We make our way past the other giant in the cathedral and run into an old friend!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

I'm surprised that you don't double-tap with the bow more often. At least in my playthroughs in DS1, I would shot, pause a half second, and send off a 2nd arrow. Even though it missed more often than not, the chance of getting a bit more damage as they recovered was worth it.

Probly should try that, honestly never even thought of it!

Dooky Dingo posted:

I'm surprised that, despite repeatedly getting his poo poo pushed in, Rojo continues to try and parry things that he obviously doesn't know the timing to.
Seriously, bro, just put on a 100% phys. resist shield and get going. You keep running out of STA because you keep trying to parry over and over.

Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Look, you're not totally wrong - I actually didn't parry much in my last playthrough because the estoc is strong as poo poo and no man needs to parry while wielding that weapon. So I'm just OK at it, but it's fun for me to figure out the timings and hopefully not too frustrating for you guys to watch when I blow it and eat poo poo. It is Souls after all, and if there was no risk of death it might not be quite as exciting to watch! At least my boss game has been on point so far, haha.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

Also Also, I'm surprised you didn't yank the lever to re-raise those bridges. We need to pay Dear Old Patches a "visit" :fuckoff:

SOON

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 17 - Deep Faith
We catch up with our "friend" and find some creepy critters. At no point do I talk about armor puppetry even though we saw Patches wearing it in the last episode.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 18 - Shameful Display
We explore an rear end in a top hat of a swamp. Also there's probably a lesson in here somewhere...something to the tune of don't drink and Dark Souls when recording.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, I've been thinking.
If you insist on keeping a parry shield, why don't you roll with the blessed red and white shield? You can parry and it also has a passive health regen effect. Seems like it would be right up your alley.

That's a thought. I'll have to try it out to confirm, but I think the downside there is that it doesn't have the special parry frames that the target shield does. It's definitely totally possible to parry with regular shields, but I'd really have to be on my game for some of the tougher opponents. In that same line of thinking I believe we're going to get a 100% physical block shield with parry pretty soon, so we might be able to have our cake and eat it too. Either way, I do like the idea of having a blessed shield under the assumption that we get the passive HP regen from it.

rojovision fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 19, 2016

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 19 - Pokes and Plinks
We try to recover from last episode's pitiful performance and briefly revisit and old area.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 20 - Open Sesame
We continue working our way through the swamp and have some fun with a mini boss.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!
Hey guys just a quick announcement - my mic stand broke. Unfortunately that means I probably won't be able to do any videos for the series for the next few days, but hopefully it'll be business as usual starting next week Monday.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Dooky Dingo posted:

No worries, take your time.
In the end, the LP curse comes for us all... :kheldragar:

Haha, very true!

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

RedMagus posted:

Enjoy the time off, play another game as a breather, or practice speed running.
Either way, have fun!

Thanks!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Grind out the warden twinblades. :getin:

That's not a bad idea actually.

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

Episode 21 - Legion
We face off against the Undead Legion and discuss some things that I did off screen during my down time.

I might sound a bit different, not sure if it's better or worse yet. I'm trying out one of my other microphones with the new stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojovision
May 13, 2015

Don't tell anybody!

I won't rule it out, but let's talk about it when we get that far.

• Locked thread