Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

died as a strong HaAr in V5. thought to myself "well, that sucked."

10 minutes later, in the shower: "I FORGOT I HAD A FULLY CHARGED WAND OF HEAL WOUNDS :supaburn:"

this is pretty much the entirety of the crawl experience, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

When does version 1.0 come out?

Dungeon Crawl's twentieth anniversary is Feb. 10th, 2017.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

IronicDongz posted:

died as a strong HaAr in V5. thought to myself "well, that sucked."

10 minutes later, in the shower: "I FORGOT I HAD A FULLY CHARGED WAND OF HEAL WOUNDS :supaburn:"

I've been playing Pakellas so much that I had a dream last night of wands that I could've used.

rj54x posted:

I can join a team, if anybody needs players. I've ascended a few times but am generally awful and will likely contribute nothing other than endless Ds splats.
code:
Lean Mean Purple-Eating Machine

1: Shinino
2: FulsomFrank
3: Static
4: MagicLamp
5: Heteroy
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino
code:
Finally Turned 18 Boys

1: FireSight
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN FireSight
and I guess Tollymain has a team, but you've gotta stick to the format of creating a list of your teammates for them to add themselves. Otherwise it gets confusing which teams have vacancies.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Um...What? What's the rationale behind this and what exactly are you supposed to do in Pan or worse, Zot 5? Did OoF get nerfed?

I believe neqoxec generation was reduced? Other than that there's increased cMut drop rate.

My gripe with no rMut is that the solution is to hoard cMut to deal with malmutate slipping through, which means your mutation list will generally be pretty boring if you get zapped with something bad (this easily happens in Zot), while rMut can give you a good chance of keeping good mutations, and planning around keeping them can be pretty interesting.

I'd at least like to see rMut come back without involving equipment, that way the whole jewelry swapping thing is not an issue.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
2 spots left.

Shinino Kage posted:

Hell with it. I'll make a team.

5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino

Anyone can join, just like Floodkiller says. Play and have fun. Go for banners if you want, win if you can. I probably won't win!

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

2 spots left.

Still have an opening? If so, please add chukamok to the list. Thanks.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

chukamok posted:

Still have an opening? If so, please add chukamok to the list. Thanks.

Added, one left.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Shinino Kage posted:

Added, one left.

I'll hop in, and resolve to eat the purple as much as possible.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

rj54x posted:

I'll hop in, and resolve to eat the purple as much as possible.

What's your Crawl name?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

what a gift to the forums

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Shinino Kage posted:

What's your Crawl name?

Same as my SA name.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Full, thanks guys!

5: chukamok
6: rj54x

# TEAMCAPTAIN Shinino

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

Other Stuff:

you should probably :nws: tag this, just to make sure everyone stays safe while reading the greatest piece of crawl writing ever made.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Yeah, this is about how the tournament is gonna go:

1170 LogicNinja the Destroyer (level 8, -9/41 HPs)
Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on Apr 29, 2016.
Was an Initiate of Vehumet.
Hit by a large rock thrown by a cyclops (50 damage)
... on level 7 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 00:08:45 (4827 turns).

Seems legit.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Double barrel baby. :dukedog:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

apple posted:

I believe neqoxec generation was reduced? Other than that there's increased cMut drop rate.

My gripe with no rMut is that the solution is to hoard cMut to deal with malmutate slipping through, which means your mutation list will generally be pretty boring if you get zapped with something bad (this easily happens in Zot), while rMut can give you a good chance of keeping good mutations, and planning around keeping them can be pretty interesting.

I'd at least like to see rMut come back without involving equipment, that way the whole jewelry swapping thing is not an issue.

Honestly, I think the idea of playing through the game as a mutated mess is kinda interesting, as long as those mutations aren't Teleportitis or Berserkitis. I think that's a totally neat way of changing the way the game treats mutations and I think it could be really interesting. Since I've been playing, since like 0.4.5, The 'correct' way of playing was to avoid random mutations even if it comes at a great cost, because random mutations can include the kinds of mutations that have a really high chance of killing a character if poo poo goes badly. I think if the game would shift to a spot where random mutations weren't ideal, but also not game-breaking at times, then the importance of rMut (rip) and cMut becomes less about total mitigation and more selective mitigation.

Edit: That's a really dumb thing I said. I guess right now cMut is probably entirely about selective mitigation, but I guess I wish there were less extremes in the 'badness' of the mutations, such that you aren't saving a dozen cMuts for nothing but the worst of the worst.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 29, 2016

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

quote:

Removed amulets of resist mutation, stasis, warding, and corrosion.
starts sweating

Anyone starting a tryhard tourney group? I'm thinking of throwing myself into it pretty hard this time around (last time I streaked 3 15 rune wins, then died and pouted the rest of the tournament.)

staplegun fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 29, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Yeah, this is about how the tournament is gonna go:

1170 LogicNinja the Destroyer (level 8, -9/41 HPs)
Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on Apr 29, 2016.
Was an Initiate of Vehumet.
Hit by a large rock thrown by a cyclops (50 damage)
... on level 7 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 00:08:45 (4827 turns).

Seems legit.

if you'd moved down and left, you'd have been out of the cyclops's LOS. from there, you could have almost certainly made it to the stairs & away scot free, especially since cyclopes are slow.

i have to say, though: excellent lang choice

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

the greatest piece of crawl writing ever made.

Frykte posted:

gently caress off! Go to hell Dispater!!!
Some say hes a golem and others say hes a statue. I think hes wearing tough armour that just looks like rocks but one things for sure is that you need to bring out the big guns against the Dispater. Nobody knows what the red lines near the top of him are.

I laughed because I put those red lines there, and then I laughed again because I also don't know what they are.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Dispater's staff is actually a standard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FR: unrand Red Lines of Dispater

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They go in the cloak slot, and put red lines above your sprite

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I just assumed it was his glorious flowing red hair.

But then I also thought the tormentor sprite was a top-down perspective until they changed his dumb face to make the eyes more obvious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its his anime power aura guys gosh

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please join my awful, terribly named team

code:
Vashnias Violet Vorarephiliacs

1: Tollymain
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Tollymain

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

I just assumed it was his glorious flowing red hair.

But then I also thought the tormentor sprite was a top-down perspective until they changed his dumb face to make the eyes more obvious.
tormentors still look like, idk what, a sorta big mouth or something to me. the design is real messy I can't see it as a person shape at all

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

PleasingFungus posted:

if you'd moved down and left, you'd have been out of the cyclops's LOS. from there, you could have almost certainly made it to the stairs & away scot free, especially since cyclopes are slow.

Okay, then, what's your solution to being dumped from D:11 to D:14, tough guy? "Don't go for the labyrinth guarded by Agnes and a centaur warrior, just try to find some stairs"?

Actually, wait, what, cyclopes are slow? How slow? Since when? I always thought they moved normal speed.
(I just wasn't expecting *50* damage from a thrown rock...)

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 30, 2016

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Tollymain posted:

code:

2: Thalamas
3:
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Tollymain

You asked for it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I had a dream there was a drug that made people suicidally brave, someone gave it to the POTUS (not Barack Obama) and while it was kicking in, he, the president of the United States, read a crawl morgue, but the drug made it seem like a brightly colored obituary praising the character's heroic martyrdom.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Roctavian posted:

I laughed because I put those red lines there, and then I laughed again because I also don't know what they are.
I always figured they were the top of a cape or something. A very short one that you can't see anywhere else in the tile. Or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaschei posted:

I had a dream there was a drug that made people suicidally brave, someone gave it to the POTUS (not Barack Obama) and while it was kicking in, he, the president of the United States, read a crawl morgue, but the drug made it seem like a brightly colored obituary praising the character's heroic martyrdom.

We need to make crawl the roguelike solo play part of Dwarf Fortress.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

code:

3: LORDOFBUTT
4:
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Tollymain

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I always figured they were the top of a cape or something. A very short one that you can't see anywhere else in the tile. Or something.

The old Dispater and Asmodeus tiles were just color swaps, and I made smaller versions of the hell lords that were only in the game for a hot second (before someone told me to make the big ones):

There was no thought process besides "let's get some red in here"

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LogicNinja posted:

Okay, then, what's your solution to being dumped from D:11 to D:14, tough guy? "Don't go for the labyrinth guarded by Agnes and a centaur warrior, just try to find some stairs"?

Actually, wait, what, cyclopes are slow? How slow? Since when? I always thought they moved normal speed.
(I just wasn't expecting *50* damage from a thrown rock...)

Cyclopes both move and act at 70% of normal speed. Also their rocks do up to 55 damage IIRC. They really hurt!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

they're speed 7 and afaik always have been. certainly for the last 15 years or so.

looks like their damage caps out at 55, so you definitely got the high end there. it 'only' had a 1/4 chance of one-shotting you... (closer to 1/5 counting ac)

Roctavian posted:

The old Dispater and Asmodeus tiles were just color swaps, and I made smaller versions of the hell lords that were only in the game for a hot second (before someone told me to make the big ones):

it's DEFINITELY an anime power aura.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Buttlang is unironically the best addition to Crawl since I've started playing. The game just feels wrong without it now.

Edit: The butt just feels butt without butt now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kaschei posted:

I'm the guy who gave it to the POTUS(not Barack Obama)

Roctavian posted:

I love this. He's so small... someone protect this precious child.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He's so Freakin small. I wish I could make that my player tile.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tollymain posted:

code:

3: LORDOFBUTT
4: unimpressed
5:
6:

# TEAMCAPTAIN Tollymain

And me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
So, I haven't ascended since like 0.14 and I'm thinking of weighing down some unfortunate tourney team.

In earlier versions, it was enough to plan my build around specific end-game nasties: orbs of fire, #1s, greater mummies, Mennas. Now it seems like the end game threats are mechanically different. Anyone care to share a list of worst endgame hazards in 0.18?

• Locked thread