Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
How do you level evocations? It seems very slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Are you using automatic or manual training?

Manual.

I should be clear - the problem is, I basically save evocables for situations where they are needed. Because Crawl as a game seems to consist of 99% situations that are completely non-threatening (e.g. where you are simply bumping monsters to death or blasting them with spells), the 1% situations where I actually need to use an evocable are insufficient for me to actually level the skill up.

Should I just be blasting ordinary poo poo with wands and drawing cards on kobolds and stuff like that?

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 12, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Smirr posted:

You don't need to use skills in order to level them. Just enable only Evocation in the m screen and then kill things using whatever works best. This will level only Evocation.

Why when I have 3-4 skills active, is Evocation always gaining at like 2%, but something like Spellcasting is at 30%?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

geke rowsperg posted:

Sounds like you aren't in manual mode. Have you pressed [/] to enable it?

I'm definitely in manual mode (the word "manual" is literally in white, auto is dark and grey), I know that I can turn off all skills but one. The issue is, if I do have four skills turned on (say Fighting, Spellcasting, Ice Magic, and Evocations), why does Evocations gain at like 2%? I want to train Evocations evenly with other skills, not train only Evocations.

I know I can turn skills on and off in manual, but other than setting one to an asterisk to emphasize it, I can't seem to actually set the percentage that a skill gains if I have more than one active.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

If you have four skills selected in manual mode, each of them would be set to 25%. If one was emphasized with an asterisk, it would be at 40% while the rest would be at 20%.

As Carl says, if one is training at 2% you're not in manual mode.

I'm more than willing to admit I may be loving something up, I'm just not sure what it is.

If I get a chance, I'll try to take a screenshot of it and post it; it will make it easier than posting text descriptions of it where I may be leaving something out.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I've been playing random "viable" species/class combos. I think I've solved the Evocations skill thing, but won't know until I play something that uses Evocations.

I have found that I am so, so much better at playing tanky fighter stuff than any kind of spellcasting, ranged, or assassin stuff.

Though part of that may be because I'm figuring out the skill system. I still want to spread out my skills, but it really does seem like it is better to really jack one or two at a time. So hard to leaving fighting or things like that turned off as a spellcaster though. I want those HP.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

All I want is for them to avoid doing jokey poo poo. So many of these games are ruined for me because the devs need to add "funny" things that are funny for all of .5 seconds but break my mood and immersion the entire rest of the time I'm playing the game.

No more stupid loving corn cob monsters or whatever. It's just dumb.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Crawl has been goofy basically since the beginning. If anything the goofiness level has been slowly decreasing over the years.

Not to my memory. Of course, I'm 42 and was playing things like Slash'Em around 20 years ago, so my time frame and memories may be different.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Counterpoint: hahah you're worried about immersion in crawl

I'm not worried about it. And as far as immersion goes, Crawl is not the most immersive game, it's true.

But the humor adds nothing for me. It's not funny. It's not the context in which I want humor. And I reiterate, it's really not funny, it's just kind of stupid. Hey, I'm fighting a lich, hey, I'm fighting a demon, OH MY GOD, THAT'S A DEATH COB, OH MY GOD, THEY MADE A MONSTER OUT OF CORN, THAT'S SO QUIRKY FUNNY HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

People who find that kind of poo poo funny likely also laugh at Garfield and Cathy comics.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I...really don't understand why Death Cobs are offensive to you. I can't wrap my head around that mindset. They're just another mook in a dungeon full of them, from a gameplay perspective. From a story perspective, I'm not sure Crawl has ever taken itself THAT seriously.

It's not really insulting. I mean, I'm not making the game, they can do whatever they want. And some people seem to enjoy it, so more power to them, they can fly their freak flag however they like.

I just personally find it stupid, and don't like it. That's all. Like in the same way I think Cathy comics are stupid, but I'm fine if other people want to read them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Trying to figure out what a more 'serious' Crawl would look like is an interesting thought exercise, I must admit.

To be clear, I do not need something to be the grim dark world of the 40th millenium in order to enjoy it. It does not have to be hyper-serious.

I just do not like things that are incongruous with theme of the game, that are purely in there for some stupid schlock reason. For the same reason, I'm glad Tolkien decided not to include a tribe of orcs shaped like dildos in his book. Because, you know, things needed to be lightened up, and dildos, man, that's funny.

As I said, I used to play Slash'Em, many, many years ago, and I had the same problem there with poo poo like lightsabers and toilets appearing in the middle of what was otherwise a pretty stock fantasy game. It just looks like a five year old said, "Oh hey, you know what's really cool/funny? Pirates/ninjas/lightsabers/farts!" and threw it into the game.

As it stands, I can deal with the Death Cobs and toenail monsters, even though I don't like them. I, however, definitely don't need more of that crap in the game.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 20, 2016

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Prism posted:

The reverse of an adder, obviously.

This was underappreciated, and I hereby witness it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Krunge posted:

Is there a trick to surviving as a low-AC melee character? I really want to Octopede stabber and/or warrior it up, but I feel like it's overly punishing compared to my normal melee builds of 40+ AC.

Funny, I'm trying the exact same thing, but with a Vampire Enchanter.

My understanding with these types of characters is you have a couple of choices. Ranged, or Hexes to control/confuse/sleep and stab (or some combination thereof). Of course, stealth helps tremendously, but the problem is you cannot rely on that alone, as things will wake up when you're a space away and then beat your rear end down. You have to be able to reliably kill from a distance or have a backup plan to put them back to sleep if they wake up.

I've been doing sort of okay (getting to level 10-12, usually a level or two of Lair/Orc, but then getting killed. Honestly, the deaths are typically my fault - I fail to kill something, and figure I can probably take it in melee. I need to be more willing to run.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Araganzar posted:

What kind of item would you like to acquire? (\ to view known items)
_Something appears before you!
You now have enough gold to buy a +5 ring of protection on D:12, buy a book of Battle on D:11, buy a book of Frost on D:9, buy a wand of heal wounds (3/9) on D:9, buy a book of Enchantments on D:11, buy a book of Party Tricks on D:9, or buy a +7 rod of inaccuracy (11/11) on D:9.
_You now have 3776 gold pieces (gained 3260).

Wait, how do you get the thing that tells you what you can acquire with the gold you have?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

taqueso posted:

Use the capital version of the shop item's letter (that is, hit 'A' instead of 'a', etc) to add it to the shopping list. Then you can hit $ to see the list, plus it alerts you.

Oooooh, never knew you could do that, I guess I did not look closely enough at the interface description in the shop. Thanks!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I wanna be on a team, if someone has a very casual team going.

I've only won the game once, and that was only a three rune run as a filthy easy Minotaur Fighter.

So if you have serious pretensions about winning the tournament, don't pick me, but if someone has a spot somewhere for some dead weight, add me please.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Come join us, we can scrape three runes across the team, I'm sure.

Sweet! I'm in!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

OK, the team for the casuals named after one of the first enemies we see and one of the last, Natasha's Psyche

code:
Natasha's Psyche

1. Unimpressed (unimpressed)

# TEAMCAPTAIN unimpressed

Add SlyFrog, please.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Okay fellas, here's where we're up to:

code:

Natasha's Psyche

1. Unimpressed (unimpressed)
2. tylertfb (tylertfb)
3. SlyFrog (SlyFrog - is this correct?)
4. The ideology eater (Lorrdernie)
5. baby delivery truck (puppykicker)

# TEAMCAPTAIN unimpressed

Yep, that's correct, it's SlyFrog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Oh god, the berotato server is down or something - I need to finish my current character before the tourny starts. Why you do this crawl gods?

• Locked thread