Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Trog just gifted me an artifact that's basically "broad axe of screaming at magic until it stops" (chop, noise, MR++), and I kind of can't force myself to stop using it.

Also, I found pearl dragon armor and immediately enchanted it up to +7 because I am impulsive and really desperate to get my first win before this tournament ends. :confuoot:

Edit Did I mention I have boots of running, too? :psyduck:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I might actually be in a position to 15 rune, but I haven't even gotten a 3 rune win... ever.

So I'll just sit on my amazing luck. (Which now includes a Cloak of the Thief, and an ER -4 mutation from some very lucky BeMu pots.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As a fairly new player, I'm still not sure how I feel about mutations. They've got prominence and resources like they're a major, primary game mechanic, but the design space isn't really fleshed out for that. It's a lot of pomp and circumstance over what basically boils down to "roll 1d100 and check table 3A for results".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sometimes, this game is just magical. :allears:

pre:
 The boggart mumbles some strange words.
 The stone giant throws a large rock.
 The large rock hits you but does no damage.
 The large rock dissolves into shadows!
 The stone giant throws a large rock. The large rock hits the boggart!!!
 The boggart dies!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This statement transcribed basically unmodified.

"Okay, press shift-A. ...you got cold resistance and passive mapping from malmutators.

gently caress you."

Edit And won without seeing a single pan lord on ascent. :psyboom:

Edit2 It was my 29th game. Ever.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 21, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My HuFE found a book of Necromancy and was doing really well... until he turned a corner, ran into a hill giant, and suddenly stopped being so lucky.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a really promising DrCj that I was trying to sneak a win in on, but my roommate/team captain shooed me to bed. There were three hours left, I had just cleared the mines, and I'd been up playing all night.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

Ghost moths are in Spider, Vaults, Depths, and Zot. They're permanently invisible, you "see" them when they start draining your MP.

What version are you playing? I thought brain worms were removed in 0.18.
Look at this nerd who plays things that aren't nagas. :rolleyes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Also just made a zombie monkey tile and threw it on mantis since there's a bunch of new zombie tiles now but howler monkeys were stuck with the old humanoid zombie tile.

Are there any other enemies that still could do with prettier zombie tiles? These are nice and quick to make.
That is really loving cool looking.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

god choice

quote:

bored
Xom.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

J - the +10 hunting sling "Killer Bee's Foe" (weapon) {flame, MR+ Str+4 Int+3 Dex-2}
:stare: Uh, thanks, Oka.

If it weren't for that Dex-2, I'd be in love with this thing. As is, can't decide between that, and a regular old +2 greatsling of flaming.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MiBe was my first win, too.

Now I'm trying with a Gargoyle Fighter. (I wanna get goodplayer with ten unique races/classes if at all possible.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Man, I've been lucky enough to get the swamp every time on all my characters that make it pretty far. Until now. And boy, let me tell you, the shoals loving SUCK.
IMO, the Shoals are the best argument in the game that Shields aren't a lost cause. Especially with an amulet of reflection.

Edit Followed closely behind by the glorious moment when you reflect an Orb of Destruction back at the sender. :getin:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 3, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

I have a +6 amulet of reflection but so far Elf 3 has been easier than the shoals (which I left early), despite being banished 3 time in a row nothing has taken me as low as the time I got mesmerized, slowed, and confused, in water, while surrounded by enemies, with two aquamancers out of range.
Oh, yeah, clarity helps, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really glad you can set Manual skill training as default because automatic was cool at first, but I got tired of it pretty quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

*Corrode and *Confuse are resisted if you have resist Corrode/Clarity, right?

Seems like, most of the time, how I feel about using randarts with those effects is pretty strongly linked with how secure I am in my Clarity/Corrode resist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I always go throwing when I'm using shields for basically exactly that reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is my official request to not remove Pakellas.

Tolly, you should tell the thread about that Evoc troll you made.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StoryTime posted:

What a time to be an octopode.
Counterpoint: You're still an octopode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you splat this character, you're going to be kicking yourself for a long time .

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

I've probably said this before, but Formicid Fighter can be a real slaughterhouse once you get one online. Yes, no teleport, and that is a big big con. But, two-handers and shields at one go, with reduced shield requirements? Surprisingly useful SInv/Monster sensing? Dig at will? These all combine for a very survivable class, especially with their not bad apts. The big question mark is getting one to where you've skilled up enough you can actually take advantage of two hands + shield; at that point if you're thinking ahead with dig and murderholes you can probably 3 rune at a pretty high rate. That said the one I'm running has been lucky as gently caress (+1 CPA from a bastion, boots of flight, wand of fireball, amulet of regen, all before lair entrance), but they can be surprisingly beefy dudes. Regen is especially handy, in that it hopefully obviates the need for tele that you're never going to get.

EDIT-Speaking of lucky, a non-timed Bazaar entrance? I can go all over until I get some money and this entrance will never disappear until I go in right?
What's a recommended replacement for scrolls of Tele for Formicids, aside from playing carefully? Scroll of Fear?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

- Is this a list or a discussion anymore? I kinda of lost track here

LearnDB posted:

formicid unreasons
_You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby!
see haste
see scroll of teleportation
see scroll of blinking
http://imgur.com/4ThdDED

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just saw my own ghost...

Playing the class that I just played.

On the floor where I just died.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)?
Hand Weapons
a - a +7 demon blade of venom (weapon)
b - a +2 hunting sling of evasion
F - a +2 triple sword of freezing

An Ice Cave in Lair 3 had some REALLY good swords for me. And I'm already going LBs! :woop:

Edit And Okawaru just gifted me a +10 plate armor of ponderousness. As a formicid.

I know I shouldn't wear it. But I want to. So badly.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 6, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

'You killed the one-headed hydra.'

'I think that's just, like, a lovely dragon.'

'It's a snake with feet."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just lost a really promising FoFi because I bumrushed a couple bogarts instead of shooting them with my arbalest.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FR: Literal floorgod.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god, why did no one tell me Slouch is a crowd annihilator?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A god to cater to the playstyle, Cheibeeados. He prefers it when you bumble about instead of buzzing all over the place.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What, no mention of Mephitic Cloud?

Cause the cloud is good. The list of things with both See Invisible and Poison Immunity is fairly short.

Couldn't you go Okawaru and hope for a quickblade gift?

Edit Well, until extended, then you're just hosed.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 8, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think another short, optional branch might be cool.

Half the time I don't even do Elf for the vault, so much as just hoping I get a decent weapon from the HoB. (And then when I do, I almost invariably get overconfident and splat in Elf3. :j:)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Yessssss thread bitching worked :getin:
I'm pretty sure that's an actual machine gun at that point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

It cuts the branches by only making them show up in some games, which I don't want. The reason I do extended is because I want to do more with the character. I don't want it to be shorter, I just want it to focus on the fun parts. Its all optional anyways, so what's the point of making a bunch of the runes not show up?

What I want is for Pan and Hell to be made more compact with less pointless chaff to wade through. With Pan the solution is easy; make the rune floors more likely to show up the more pan lords you slay. That way you aren't just randomly wandering around and have a goal to hunt down the lords rather than just diving past them. Which is what that proposal actually suggests, which is good, but it ruins it by making it alternate with Hell. I'd be really annoyed if I wanted to do extended with a character and welp, I got the lovely Hell runes instead of the Pan runes which can actually be enjoyable.
Isn't DCSS open source? No one's stopping you from making a fork, even if it's just a minor one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just found my second FDA for this game.

I'm on D4.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dee Ehm posted:

I thought that a nondemonic themed extended area would be best off if it went with more of a mythological direction than a purely holy / divine one. Like a Valhalla or Olympus. Fighting Demigods, Valkyries, and some new top tier giants. Some holy enemies perhaps, but not entirely focused on it.
I like this idea. You could even have Titans as like the ultimate extension of the Ogres/Giants tree.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BigFactory posted:

The computer programmer's version of love it or leave it.
I don't know why I said that. I was kind of being a dick, I'm sorry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FoFi^O is now arguably better than FoFi^C. ^C hybridizes better, ^O works better as a primarily-a-beater without really good armor drops fairly early on, or significant spellcasting investment.

Like, if you're playing a melee Fo, and you can't decide, the best point of comparison (at least for me) is "do you want Finesse, or do you want Iron Shot/Fireball?". And for that, I usually go by weapon choice. Axes, I go for Chei. Anything else, usually long blades, and I go ^O, and go into crossbows instead of spellcasting.

I just really like Formicids recently okay?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Your Longswords/Crossbows/Sugar Daddy Oka build is basically what I had in mind. I'll splat a few more of those tonight undoubtedly.
Cool! A couple quick tips I learned from it:

1. If you find a really good sling, don't be afraid to drop a few points into Slings to carry you until you find a good Crossbow. It's not totally optimal, but at +1 Apt, you can afford a few points to shore you up until you get a proper ranged weapon. Just try to keep it low enough that you can get Crossbows over it easily. Sucks having 150+ sling bullets from ammo gifts when you stopped using slings several floors ago.

2. Get shields and armor up to 9 basically as soon as your LB skill is somewhere you're happy with it. Shields up to 9 removes all penalties for your regular shield (and heavy shields are not common enough to be built towards), and Armor up to 9 is piss-easy with a +2 aptitude.

3. Scrolls of Fear replace Scrolls of Teleport for you. Evokable Invisibility is incredibly powerful for not getting pincushioned by ranged enemies. Evokable fog, even more so.

4. Drop a few points in stealth. You're not a stabber, but at +3 aptitude, even in heavy armor, you can pretty easily get up to "I am no longer shouting every time I move" levels, which helps a lot with not getting suddenly overwhelmed when you autoexplore into a pack of enemies.

5. O-Tab, O-Tab, O-Tab, splat, repeat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Regarding early game skilling, roughly what should I be doing? Do I do fighting, Long Blades (focused), shields? Focus both weapon and shield? Leave shield off until LB skill gets to a certain point?

I have a hard time knowing what I should be prioritizing when in most cases. I know more HP is always useful, and on my fighters and berserkers I tend to just leave whatever my weapon skill of choice is focused until it hits minimum delay, but beyond that I get the feeling I leave too much stuff enabled (and thus it all gets too little xp), or I ignore stuff early that I should be using, or leave it on too long.
What I tend to do is get my weapon up to 1.0 delay (that's 8 LB for a longsword), and then dip into defenses (I go A+S, then F, but do whatever). Berserkers are all about 'the best defense is a good offense' killing, but I've found the most effective Formicid is one that builds like a brick shithouse, with the confidence that being able to one-hand a Triple Sword or an Executioner's Axe means you'll never be too worried about your damage lagging behind.

Edit Also, I almost forgot another generic Formicid tip: Don't be afraid to shaft early. It takes a little longer than you might anticipate, and you never know what you'll be dropping into, so it's better to do it early than to wait until you're at 15%, then find out you just dropped into a pack of gnolls with 4 HP left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

World Famous W posted:

code:
  4749 | D:5      | Identified the +12 long sword "Omas" {venom, rN+ MR+ Str+3 Dex+2}
~
  4894 | D:5      | Identified the +8 scale mail "Yquow" {*Confuse rC++ MR+} 
Why thank you, dungeon level 5.
I'd say go Ashenzari for clarity if you haven't picked a god yet, that armor could seriously keep you the whole game.

• Locked thread