Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

died as a strong HaAr in V5. thought to myself "well, that sucked."

10 minutes later, in the shower: "I FORGOT I HAD A FULLY CHARGED WAND OF HEAL WOUNDS :supaburn:"

this is pretty much the entirety of the crawl experience, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

When does version 1.0 come out?

Dungeon Crawl's twentieth anniversary is Feb. 10th, 2017.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

Other Stuff:

you should probably :nws: tag this, just to make sure everyone stays safe while reading the greatest piece of crawl writing ever made.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Yeah, this is about how the tournament is gonna go:

1170 LogicNinja the Destroyer (level 8, -9/41 HPs)
Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on Apr 29, 2016.
Was an Initiate of Vehumet.
Hit by a large rock thrown by a cyclops (50 damage)
... on level 7 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 00:08:45 (4827 turns).

Seems legit.

if you'd moved down and left, you'd have been out of the cyclops's LOS. from there, you could have almost certainly made it to the stairs & away scot free, especially since cyclopes are slow.

i have to say, though: excellent lang choice

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

Actually, wait, what, cyclopes are slow? How slow? Since when? I always thought they moved normal speed.

they're speed 7 and afaik always have been. certainly for the last 15 years or so.

looks like their damage caps out at 55, so you definitely got the high end there. it 'only' had a 1/4 chance of one-shotting you... (closer to 1/5 counting ac)

Roctavian posted:

The old Dispater and Asmodeus tiles were just color swaps, and I made smaller versions of the hell lords that were only in the game for a hot second (before someone told me to make the big ones):

There was no thought process besides "let's get some red in here"

it's DEFINITELY an anime power aura.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
my recommendation is
  • d to lair
  • lair
  • orc
  • i guess you can do the rest of d at some point if you want
  • the lair rune branches (not slime!), start with the poison branch (snake/spider) if you have rpois and the other one otherwise
  • vaults to 4
  • depths
  • elf goes around here somewhere, maybe. could do it before depths or maybe even before vaults
  • third rune: vaults:5 if you're a 'tank' or 'blaster', abyss if you're 'sneaky', slime if you 'really want to'
  • zot
http://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#hyperelliptic is the classic order, it's a little more cautious than i am.

Shinino Kage posted:

At this point, if you're just doing a 3-rune and can handle it, go for Zot 1-5.

entering zot with two runes would be pretty impressive.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 1, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Pinechild posted:

fake edit: oh wow that dropped my stealth by a bunch. Is that an artifact of switching to plate, or does ponderous also make you noisy?

It's the plate. Armour EVP reduces stealth, spellcasting chance, accuracy (slightly), and, of course, EV.

Wearing plate at 14 str is kind of iffy; rule of thumb is that you want about as much str as EV, and you're 4 short. It's also kind of a waste of that 18 dex. The AC is nothing to sneeze at, though, and you weren't casting spells anyway. What were your defenses in your previous armour?

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 2, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

resistentialism posted:

Or just coast with it for a bit while training to cast spells. It's an amazing low investment stat stick.

pity about the mp -9

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are ecumenical altars like that even guaranteed?

No. There's a 10% chance of one appearing in any given game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Enchantment from +5 to +2, regen from +10 to +7. It's still extremely strong.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

I Love You! posted:

No longer shall a game be over the moment you find it, now you will at least have to press buttons

tab is a button.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

Huh, so there's traps to prevent stairdancing? Interesting, didn't know that was a thing.

they don't really work for that, since, you know. digging, disint, other stairs, etc

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also, pressure plates are always visible (I think?), so you won't accidentally trigger them.

nope

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Hey PF, is there a devs team in the tournament? Would be interesting to see how you guys stack up.

There usually is, though I don't think we've settled on a name yet for this one. The really good devs (e.g. elliptic) always play in their own clans, anyway...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If they're not visible that seems kind of dumb and spoilery, since they're fixed-location traps in predefined vaults. I guess it works for the "pressure plate that puts a grate between you and the stairs" thing just because that vault is so small and you'll never know when you run into it.

Feel free to report any problematic vaults!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The unlocked vault that can spawn a very ugly thing and yaktaur captain on D:9 :regd09:

vault, singular? :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Unless you're a mummy and you get 'unravelling bandages' damage in place of engulf

if you aren't careful, someone is going to believe you.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Asked on IRC if it'd be up tomorrow and got
so maybe register somewhere else first in case

haha, that's more than she's told anyone on the dev team...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I think corrosion changed into a really scary thing these past few versions, sure it doesn't permanently cripple you anymore but instead it will kill you much faster, especially if you've encountered a caustic shrike for the first time and your immediate response isn't full steam ahead extermination mode.

i think the raw damage of a 3d10 wand on d:2 is a little more relevant than the corrosion, tbh.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
breaking: dd is op

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

I better try one quickly before PF nerfs all the fun out of it. :argh:

i long for the death of all dwarves, but sadly other devs still like them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

resistentialism posted:

new server has nonstandard default lang

you should probably check out the homepage to get a feel for what the server is really about.

(and take a peek at the 404 page while you're there)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

3 scrolls, 0 rods.

0 magic skills of any kind. Almost 20 evo now, but I've been trying for one since about 15.

Looks like 0 magic skill and non-zero evo skill gives about an 80% chance per-acq of a rod. Bad luck to roll the 1/5 chance three times in a row, but not unheard of!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

PleasingFungus, got a bug for you. I drew the Illusion card and summoned my clone. He used fulminant prism, damaged himself in the blast and turned hostile.

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9790 . Good bug, imo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

gently caress Cocytus vaults that require crossing deep water with flying, gently caress cancellation being a Hell effect, gently caress moving over deep water/lava not prompting a hard Yes if your current flight status is fading, gently caress drowning as a thing in general :negative:

At least I got Pan so I don't have to go back there and play around mutations forever on my next character.

drowning probably shouldn't exist; all the alternatives are bad, but drowning is worse. probably.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

68k posted:

Goddamn can we please get rid of the boggarts, holy poo poo

PleasingFungus * 0.18-a0-2582-g718106b: add more boggarts (in the future, 14 files, 556+ 747-) http://s-z.org/neil/git/commit.png?p=crawl.git;a=commitdiff;h=718106b

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
you get tournament points for zigging, but they cap out at "beat a single zig in one of your games", as best i can tell.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

gammafunk posted:

Tournament progress update: The first game I played in the tourney was a Nemelex Choice, which I won. Of the chars that PleasingFungus played that made it to XL10, he splatted 4 in a row before eking out a win. After killing a Halfling that made it to XL17 (his second death in a row of an XL16+ character), he came to the dev channel to try to start a discussion about removing Halflings. These are all facts.

user BANNED for IMPORTING OFFSITE DRAMA.

also for shameless slander, which - even worse - happens, in this case, to be factual

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Don't worry, I put you to rest in the ice cave where ye perished PF

devs shouldn't be allowed to die, imo. it's very unfair.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Akett posted:

So I've been complaining about a problem for months and nobody's paid any attention to me, so I'm going to use a visual aid to help explain what I'm talking about so hopefully it can get fixed.

So in the past when I would use X > to autotravel to a lower staircase it would choose the closest staircase by how many steps it takes to walk to it. In the case of the image I posted, it would choose the stairs to my right, being the closest stairs on foot. Lately it's been choosing the closest stairs regardless of whether or not there are walls in the way. In the example it would be the stairs southwest of me.

Now this isn't all that big of a deal to me as I just need to hit the > again to select the better stairs, and I'm not losing much satiation if I forget to do that, and it's honestly not that common for a level to be laid out in a way that makes this come up, but if I were a speedrunner I'd be annoyed if I were to lose points because a system stopped paying attention to walls. I mostly just want it fixed because it worked better in the past and it'd be a shame for it to get worse and remain that way.

That's this bug. It's known, and was apparently caused by this specific commit; the dev who made that commit is trying to look for a way to fix it without just reverting the commit.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

this is an awesome vault (heh) and whoever made it is cool and good

it is a classic but it was better when you had to take the second set of stairs up if you wanted to know what down-stairs they corresponded to

casual devs ruining challenge imo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

To add to this, what does Crawl need more people to work on, if anything? I'm not the best player, but I love this game and have some coding/graphics abilities and spare time.

We're always short on tiles contributors. Think of some tiles you don't particularly like, or go through the tiles directories and find some that you'd like to redraw, and then stick up your versions in a mantis issue; here's roctavian's old tile dump, for example. There's tons of low-hanging fruit, plenty of tiles that haven't been redrawn since the first tiles release, even!

For code, I've gotten different answers from every dev I polled on this. You could go looking for bugs (again, on mantis), submit a pull request for some change that you yourself want to see, create a custom race just for the heck of it... (they tend to be pretty fun to set up.) Follow your heart, imo.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The solution is to teleport when you see the dangerous thing instead of trying to fight it and then teleporting when you're at 1/4 hp. :colbert:

I am bad at doing this

agreed on all counts. also, never forget about the most powerful technique of all: the infamous mikee teleport

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Roctavian posted:

In like a couple years or so when I have free time, I'm gonna start working on crawl again, but could you like put those zombies in or something, because I think those serve a gameplay purpose

i'm like 90% sure you still have commit rights, but ok, i'll take care of it once tournament is over. (don't want players distracted by shiny new zombies..)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FnF posted:

Does anyone know how potions of experience interact with penance (from abandoning your god)? Because penance now seems to tick down as you gain XP, the learndb makes it sound pretty much like you could clear penance almost immediately by quaffing 2-3 potions of experience (maybe you'd need more once you hit level 27?).

I experimented & added a few print statements, and it looks like they don't interact with penance at all.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

PleasingFungus, I've been struggling to get the downloaded version of tiles running on my machine which has a high DPI display - when I load the game it appears to be normal through character creation, except once the game loads the interface is shifted down and to the right. My inventory is cut off, I can't see the bottom of the text log, etc. I think setting it to load in windowed mode might work, but I'm not sure how to do that either. I've edited .ini and other Crawl files before, I am just not sure which file to create/edit to fix the display issue. I might be missing a "center interface" option or something.

I love Crawl, I just wish my machine wasn't giving me such a hard time running it. :saddowns:

Maybe I should just try online tiles instead.

try adjusting tile_window_height/tile_window_width? also, file a bug, imo...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I thought the eruption doesn't reach into small nooks and crannies? Anyway, how much HP and did you have any resistance bonus or malus?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20160513-012606.txt . Technically not an instant death, and yurtcradled might have survived by immediately going to and entering the exit one tile away... but probably not.

Probably could use some tweaking.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

i've been losing a lot and am currently drunk so here's another photoshop thing.

5 5 5 5 5

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Shakill OReal posted:

And now I'm dead because somehow a Naga Sharpshooter got behind me while a Greater Naga was constricting me. Oh well, that was a fun run and I learned a lot, such as I can't blink while I'm constricted.

there's a chance to escape, based on your strength, the number of times you've tried to escape so far, and how nasty the constrictor is (greater nagas are pretty nasty).

code:
    if (roll_dice(4 + escape_attempts, 8 + div_rand_round(strength(), 4))
        >= roll_dice(5, 8 + div_rand_round(themonst->get_hit_dice(), 4)))
each blink attempt counts as two escape attempts, so a 12-str character trying to escape from a greater naga has about a 2/3rds chance of escaping on the first blink, ~95% chance on the second, 99.8% chance on the third. trick is to start trying to escape when you have more than one turn before death!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Man, I'm just thinking back to my best character - a Minotaur warrior of Okawaru - and his experience. I got really lucky and conceited after rocking the whole game through Crypt and decided to give Tomb a try despite the warnings otherwise.

I died almost instantly. Be wary of the Tomb: it will cut down the proud and haughty.

please tell me you died to the sphinx pack at the entrance

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

So I've got boots of the assassin now and invisible monsters and I can tell where an invisible monster is when it's out of LOS, but not when it's in it. Is that intended or should I look into reporting it?

I'm on console.

works for me in testing. can you give me a dump? (hit #)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

It could be they're showing up as very dark blue? I remember seeing them around other invisible monsters indicating where they could be, but it's possible in this case it's showing the exact location instead?

edit: Yeah, that's it, I think. It'd be a lot better if it was red. I seriously mistook it for those "hints" or whatever that you used to get (still do?) around invisible stuff. Sorry for the mix-up. Thanks for looking into it.

yeah, i noticed when I was testing that it was almost impossible to see the little 'detected creature' indicator, but it didn't really stand out from the rest of console in terms of unreadability/archaic ui.

i figured you guys were used to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
what's 'tedious' about summoning?

• Locked thread