Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

[pressure plates] they don't really work for that, since, you know. digging, disint, other stairs, etc

They have the strongest effect when you're running away from something with only one space between. You're trying to get to the < .when suddenly it is blocked and now the foe has trapped you (you use a turn to wand a way through, but then it's next to you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Glidergun posted:

This is certainly just an update speed thing; if you don't show up yet on the "All Players" list, there's no way you're going to be counted as part of a clan. If you're still not in the clan by that point, it might be that "glidergun" needs to be in all lowercase.

EDIT: It could be a problem on my end, of course, but as far as I can tell this ought to be right:

code:
# TEAMNAME Flying_Purple_Eater_People
# TEAMMEMBERS Heteroy Pinechild MissPrince FilthyApe uglyjohn

I think you need no space after the #s

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Having an alarm trap by the lungs is great, when you're with fedhas and set up 18 oklobs with 20 Invocations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Yes.

It allows me to keep the combo GnSu as the online high score, too.

You could always play it in nostalgia branch!

code:
rchandra: !hs . nostalgia
Sequell: 8. rchandra the Cruncher (L14 GnTh of Lucy), slain by an eight-headed hydra on Lair:9 on 2014-04-01 20:26:06, with 39580 points after 30355 turns and 2:27:59.
15-speed hydra seemed pretty cool.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah, i noticed when I was testing that it was almost impossible to see the little 'detected creature' indicator, but it didn't really stand out from the rest of console in terms of unreadability/archaic ui.

i figured you guys were used to it!

We just fix it, I remapped all darkblue things. And my detected monsters are music notes.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ewar Woowar posted:

It's at about 78% if I do that

If you go for LRD, use a potion of brilliance and staff of earth as well, and maybe 5 or so earth skill (from zot, extended, or tomb?).

With Evocations skill you can also try a stone of tremors unless it was removed, or wand of random effects even without skill.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

bitcoin bastard posted:

Not sure if the walls in Slime are harder than Dungeon but I evoked a Stone of Tremors at 0 Evocations and it took out walls. (And did poo poo for damage.)

I think it would just increase the chance of affecting all four vaults.

On an unrelated note, when planning to dip into Zot:5 to claim the tournament points, just in case you don't make it there again (had to skip most of the first week), do make sure you're not actually taking an escape hatch. It led into one of the final lungs, with Qazlal, that was a bit of an adventure getting out.

I had to shatter my first useful Fragile artefact for extended - +7 demon trident of pain.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

After finally having time to 15-rune my first character (MfGl that got Qaz from a faded altar), I decided to try the nchoice CeNe for the streak. I was planning on kiku -> chei, though a wand of hasting made the latter part less appealing. All going super well: found d:1 barding and enchanted it, made TLA, acquired usable -3 gloves (regen and Slay+5), have elec whip for now and broad axe for Kiku branding, when Sonja starts harassing me in Lair. I overestimate Pain, and get curared a lot. Still, finish her off with a wand of iceblast and see I am poisoned from 2 to 1. So I press 5, and die...

Because regen expired, making me no longer safe from poison.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

dpeg posted:

Announcing my third victory for Ogrecoming Adversity:

I still have no idea whether I should've picked pain branding over the Necronomicon. Would a demon whip be better with pain rather than electrocution?

Very cool win! OgNe (Ash) is probably my favourite combo. Though if I started playing crawl today I might never have discovered it, as so many of my initial reasons have been removed.

With your 27 necromancy pain would have been way better than elec outside of extended, it's not close. I think it's close around 8-10 skill these days?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

dpeg posted:

What were your reasons for OgNe of Ashenzari, and why is it still your favourite combination despite changes?

You'll get your endgame weapon very early and can curse both hands with it.
Animate Skeleton let you butcher with a cursed GSC.
Lethal Infusion to brand the GSC both for general use and before read-IDing vorpalise weapon scrolls.
Ogre spell skills work very nicely with the skill boost.
Necromancer spells are excellent for supporting melee and don't need a lot of training (IE, Su can work pretty well in similar fashion).

And I just enjoy the hybrid melee style and big weapons.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

People do like to talk about the deadliness of Tomb here, but thing is, it is extremely predictable. Once you understand how to do Tomb, you can do it fairly reliably. Especially considering that you are as fast or faster than anything dangerous in there. Doing it safely on a melee character often involves a crazy amount of stair dancing. Your goal is pull any priests/greaters up the stairs so you can finish them off, heal, and repeat. Charging into groups is what gets people killed.

Now, if Tomb had enemies that could lock the stairs, it would get MUCH more deadly.

Now that death scarabs can slow you through rN, it's gotten a little tougher, but generally you can run backwards once you see them and not get harassed by other stuff at the same time. I also like having Silence for gmummies to prevent the hordes of emperor scorps/death scarabs.

Incidentally, doing Tomb with *rage is super annoying (made a couple of missteps in slime and aiming for Vow of Courage III).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

odiv posted:

Started a Kobold Assassin with the intention of going blowguns/crossbows and Fedhas.

Quaffed my biggest stack of potions (3) when poisoned by a snake and it's XP (yay!).

Now my stealth is at 10.5 and I'm wondering if I should just take the stabbing train? I have two more of these potions to go. My team already has an Ash and a dith win though. Thoughts?

edit: I guess I could just go Trog. We somehow don't have a Trog win yet. Anti-magic quick blade is a lot of fun.

edit2: Well now I feel like I should use these potions before taking another step and it's time for some decision paralysis.

You can compromise with crossbow/Trog. Definitely you should use the potions immediately.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, uh, a gnoll on D:2 just dropped a whip of pain

Is this useful to a Trog character at all or will Trog get mad at me for training necro to use it?

e: welp, ran into Menkaure and a player ghost with blinking at the same time, :rip:

e2: GDA on D:2 and I'm playing a MiBe :stare:

Trog will get mad at you - it would be great on most characters if a useful Necromancy spell existed, and often quite good even if not (as long as _any_ necromancy spell existed).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

All-runed the OgSu and claimed a TrSk for Nemelex choice points on the streak.

The Tr used Ignorance and an amulet of reflection for a while, had perhaps a few too many close calls at 1-2 int. At the end I decided to give up reflection for the amulet "Jaixuji" {RegenMP rF+ rC+ rN+++ Int-3}. Ended up with rF+++++, there was probably a way to not use my ring of Contam rF++ Int+2 Str+4 but it was keeping my brain on and I didn't want to bother figuring out alternates.

2 allrunes and one nem isn't that great, but between missing a week and trying not to be a hermit, I'll take it. Might squeeze in another quick one - but I'm not quick :).

Mystery Prize posted:

Got a pretty solid GrCK going:

Problem is, I've cleared all of Depths and all branches before it and I haven't found an Abyss or Pan entrance; can they show up elsewhere?

while they can, there's at least one of each guaranteed somewhere in Depths - I think depths:3 for Pan and 2 or 4 for Abyss? Do you have all 3 normal staircases up and down on each floor?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Your dump file says you have Abyss portals on depths 1,2,4 and Pandemonium on depths 3 and 4. Use ctrl-f abyss/pande to find them.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Finished with 5 wins and a 4-streak (OgSu ^TSO (15), TrSk^Ely, HuBe, HOAK) for 50th place.

In the last game I kind of forgot that Depths existed so I was being way more leisurely than I should have been. Then I panicked from having so little time, especially after several attempts to get the "free" abyssal rune didn't work out. (Gong + abyss + rushing is not a good combo, even with Lugonu). Then I dove Shoals for it instead (had done Snake/Slime) which worked much better, and used mapping through Zot and a few Depths levels. In Zot:5 I was mashing as fast as I could, and the dozen+orbs of fire did not help - eventually I just had to haste and try to walk past them, then corrupt, then find more. I ended up in the orb chamber and *tele booted me to the other lung next to it, so I couldn't get onto the orb without killing a bunch of guardians - I forgot I had a spare distortion axe which had been very useful in similar situations in Snake. managed to stand on the orb, then desperately quaff hw, pick up the orb, and enter the abyss. Thankfully I had put in a ton of experience to get Regeneration castable in my plate, as I used every single recharge scroll on my haste/hw wands. Finished with 5 minutes to spare, speed is never my strong point!

This was my first tournament in forever not getting the Ash III banner (find 17 runes), due to Swamp not existing. Also missed Yred III (72 uniques) despite getting most of the rare ones - missed Fannar, Grum, Joseph, Khufu, Natasha, Purgy, Tiamat, Vashnia, the Lernaean hydra.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broke the streak on game 5, KoNe killed by death yaks in lair. I had a very late temple, and took Ash since I was using some cursed +0 auxes and a Fragile weapon - +4 flail "Yvyirof" (weapon) {vamp, Fragile +Blink +Inv rF+}. Even found an IDA to use with it, once I got the skill boost and trained Necro a bit more my spells were all fine in it. Sadly I didn't think to use the +inv vs the death yaks, I was just very slowly separating and dueling and draining them, eventually one got me via energy randomisation.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Accidentally posted this in the roguelike thread:

You can do slime easily enough - you can only be mutated by Shining Eyes, and they are very fragile - just Upheaval them while hiding behind other monsters, or axe them if they get next to you. In Abyss/Pan the same is true of neqoxecs, though cacodemons might take multiple Upheavals and you may have no realistic choice but to risk mutations for a few turns while meleeing them.

Personally I would keep Qazlal because I enjoy doing extended with him and wrath just adds messes, Zin is definitely stronger what with not drawing the whole world to you. Normally my advice is to never consider switching gods until after you have won the game, but if you've gotten to that point in a week you should be able to handle it, or do it again if you splat in extended. And you handled Qaz Tomb so you should be able to handle troubles in the rest of extended.

You have plenty of gold for the Zin piety.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Any suggestions for an eventual dragonform draconian? I'm mostly having issues with god choice. I mean, Makhleb or Chei seem the safest as usual, but I'm kinda bored of them and would rather try something different.

Ru, Fedhas, maybe Hepliaqlkana? Start Tm and just hope to find the spell - it's definitely not worth taking Sif Muna.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

a lot of them are kind of a stretch, but the basic concept is neat. Patches Welcome, as always.

('giant leech' is probably my favorite, with 'insubstantial wisp' as a close second)

I think it will miss on Draconians after level 7, if my rcfile erring is any indication (you.race() will no longer be "Draconian").

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

:stare: Uh, thanks, Oka.

If it weren't for that Dex-2, I'd be in love with this thing. As is, can't decide between that, and a regular old +2 greatsling of flaming.

It probably outdamages the greatsling until the latter reaches +6 or so, and will hit a lot more, and MR is good, and you probably use at least one of str or int so it's a net boost to stats. I'd use it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm just playing a VSEE that found a Book of the Sky early on. Was wondering if it would be a waste of xp.

it's still a "waste" in that you don't need high levels of multiple elements (training two skills that do the same thing), but sometimes by the time you want new spells that's what you have and you have to live with it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Darox posted:

It happened to me in the tournament. OoF hit me with multiple -int mutations which made me brainless on the orb run.

Happened to me with a SpEn on the orbrun as well, back in 2014 (0.15). But the real culprit there was Focus cards, if I didn't have 1 str from those I'd have been fine. Never again, now!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

An Ice Cave in Lair 3 had some REALLY good swords for me. And I'm already going LBs! :woop:

Edit And Okawaru just gifted me a +10 plate armor of ponderousness. As a formicid.

I know I shouldn't wear it. But I want to. So badly.

+10 saves me more than the movespeed kills me. (1.1 turns per step gives you plenty of non-degenerate motion)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

World Famous W posted:

On berserk, if I ain't worshiping Trog I don't even consider it a option after the lair branches. Just way to much can go wrong.

The other great time for berserk is with the amulet of BLOODLUST. Quite usable through 15 runes, leads to the occasional adventure.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dee Ehm posted:

How does removing floors affect trunk games in process? I have a character who hasn't reached Lair yet, is it gonna be 6 floors or 8? Would it crash if I was on Lair 8 when I updated?

It will be 8, the dungeon structure is determined at game start and won't change. Sometimes you get the entrances placing without their vaults ( I remember that with crypt/Tomb) but it should all stay functional.

e: you might get the new difficulty monsters, though - and not sure what will happen on lairs 7/8 if so.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 9, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Zaodai posted:

If I want to be fightin' Fomracid, is there a standout god for them? Trog is out, because of the permanent stasis. I figure Oka would be decent. You get his first ability but not his second, but he'd be a sugar daddy to give you fancy armor/shields/weapons. Maybe Mahlkeb (sp?) for the healing and a bit of blasty?

I know you can wield a 2h melee weapon + shield, does it also let you wield a 2h range weapon (bow/crossbow) + shield? Do you take a penalty for trying to use ranged weapons while wielding a shield, assuming you've got enough shield skill to use the shield normally?

Lugonu is unquestionably best - Trog and Okawaru should both work (I think you actually do get Finesse?), Ru/Makhleb/Fedhas always good.

Range + shield works, almost exactly the same as melee. No extra penalty.

e:
Aw, orb of fire removed my Wild Magic. Granted, trying to cast Torando with that and CPA is a bit rough, even with Chei and the Ring of the Mage.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 10, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I remember there was a big discussion of that about a year ago, and the conclusion was that it was a bad idea. Don't recall the details, but I remember I was persuaded, even though I went into the discussion as a supporter of the idea. Someone would have to hunt through the logs to find the details...

Yeah Grunt even coded it (%git hell-effect-end), somebody said it was uncool to give you the items in hells:$ for "free". I still disagree with this - killing the lord is nontrivial, and the hell items are more for fun than winning.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I've been liking Knight a lot on my current character, a crossbows KoHu. I have to step to the side sometimes to get her out of my line of fire, but this is compensated for by using f rather than t to get her to start attacking. Gave her an axe rather than trident, as she ends up surrounded a lot.

Battlemage probably complements a melee character well (not yet tried it), Hexer seems to be good for everybody.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dee Ehm posted:

Playing a Kobold Hunter of Trog, got a Labyrinth in Lair and picked up the +3 Cloak of Masochism {*corrode rPois rF+ Regen+}

Would you wear this over a +2 Cloak if you had no source of rPois or rF? Would you enchant the ice dragon hide you found to get Ice Dragon Armour and use this cloak to neutralize the fire vulnerability?

Edit: oh hey, a fire dragon showed up in Lair and dropped a hide too, and I also have the amulet of bloodlust. This game is going interestingly.

Definitely use the cloak, would probably use the IDA - depending on scrolls and alternative choices. Always use BLOODLUST (but do make sure not to accidentally physically hit somebody with the crossbow and berserk).

With both the *corr and BLOODLUST you will want a little preemptive caution, mostly don't melee if you can't risk berserk.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I really miss the weaker stab options that long blades and 1h polearms had. But even with the current system, if I'm going to get some incidental stabbing with my melee (Ru and Hep, among others), Long Blades will provide sbl skill for free to do that with so that can be a reason to choose it.

The maces that really define the class for me for non-Og are whip, dire flail, and demon whip. Whip and dwhip are so fast, the former is great with elec/pain/disto and even drain/venom can be good. Demon whip is even decent with stuff like vorpal, if frustrating at times. Dire flail is a 2-handed demon sword that you actually find early. Works great as a low-skill option when you have other things you want to do, then later you can get a bigger weapon or a shield if you want.

IronicDongz posted:

Maces are better for both 2H and 1H. Great maces are a straight upgrade to great swords for the same amount of skill

Great mace takes 2 more skill for min delay, but gives one more damage (and has less accuracy).

e: I enjoy the hydra gimmick but I don't think they need to heal so much. It should be dangerous to melee them with a blade when first encountered, not just make them near-invincible.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 17, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'm surprised most of those bardiche enemies can't get executioner's axes. 178 recentish games killed by exec axe, and 167 of those were Rupert. 546 for bardiche, with quite a variety of killers. Unless of course bardiche gets all the kills from reaching, where players get away from the exec user. Even plain orc and wizard have some bardiche kills.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A few very nice changes I noticed:

Monk fixed Either everybody else needed to lose UC as a weapon choice (again), or monk needed to gain weapon choice - it was silly having it as the "UC + god" background.

Ctrl-F unruined. Now, you can once again press ctrl-f scroll.*ench a to get the nearest enchant scroll, etc.

next up, shopping lists?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Araganzar posted:

Uka is even easier than Oka. Play a mino or orc, slap on an axe, and watch the fun. It's stupid.

Speaking of overpowered new dieties, anyone want to drop some knowledge bombs about Hepliaklqana's powers? Are the slow (Transference) and super saiyan (Idealise) powers worth using? How often can you use them?

I mean I've been doing just fine letting my ancestor confuse and paralyze everything but I'm curious about uses of Transference like sending your pet away then swapping with it.

The swap power is really really strong: for getting away, for getting your ancestor to better killing places, and for getting an annoying enemy next to you. I'd use Swap for those even without the slow. Idealize I use when ey's getting injured and I don't want to continue the fight alone. You can't use that all the time, but I don't think it's like say Qaz/Oka where you're super concerned about getting below 5*. Just use the powers when you want them.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

I've got starts set up for each of those (OpIE^Chei, Te[Cj/VM/FE]^Veh, MuFi^Ru) to pull to their strengths or cover weaknesses, it's a matter of executing them. And not executing them. :v:

You might like MuFE^Ru instead, added bonus of getting rF from enhancer ring/staff. As usual, Ru let me greatly enjoy a race I otherwise hate (see also, DD) - after splatting in a zig to Dispel Undead ghost I immediately thought "again! again!".

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Short blades players help me out; I've never used them in extended and always found their damage underwhelming. Is there any brand other than holy that will let me kill greater mummies with a quick blade and not have it take an eternity? My assumption is that it would be miserable to try, but I'd like to be wrong about that.

EDIT: Though I suppose I do have the option of the singing sword. I mean its a stupid weapon for this stealth build but I probably can't stealth through the end of Tomb anyways.

I can assure you that a holy sblade will also make it awful, unless you have BLOODLUST. Dispel Undead and teleport are both easier ways through tomb for most stealthy types, or you can pick up a demon blade - crosstraining and tomb:1 will get you a lot of the experience you need.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

TSO's halo helps a lot with the maul, if you're using 2+ turns to hit something you want to hit it each time.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Space Cob posted:

It isn't :(

I have never fiddled with summons. I never thought of using those for distraction stabs. I'll experiment with Animate Dead and see how that works.

edit: Okawaru keeps it coming

code:
the +2 chain mail "Zismustre" {MR+ Int+5 Dex-2 Slay+2}
that would be +4 AC from the ring mail, only lose one slaying point and the regen. I'm not sure how much that Dex-2 matters. Ugggh I'm bad with these decisions.

I'm sure the CPA is a lot better than any of this junk, but it would make spellcasting quite a nuisance at your low str.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Well that's way easier than I thought it'd be.

Often it'll be usable before that, especially when not spellcasting - just look at the effect on your EV. Usually maximizing AC+EV is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A +2-+4 rF body armour can often be pretty useful, and occasionally the flaming weapon is (especially for ogres who haven't found a brand scroll, or axe users being annoyed by hydrae). Often the types won't be useful for you though, if you find a flaming glaive when you have 14 lbl skill that's not really good enough to switch for.

Would racing volcanoes be better if they were easier and earlier, so you have less HP and the main danger would become the clouds?

• Locked thread