Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I have used a Yahoo email account for 20 years. In the last few years things have got flaky. A handful of emails (in and out) have been deleted by Yahoo, seemingly at random. For example I had some important business emails with time sensitive data go missing from both in my outbox account and the recipients' inbox account within about 2 weeks of sending. Some random dates have been assigned to old emails (some for dates in future...go figure...). A month or two ago I got a general message from Yahoo suggesting that they delete all old emails in my inbox from everyone except my top 10 most used contacts. (I didn't take that offer up, strangely.) I now get crumby "amazing video!!!" imbedded players in my spam and trash pages when I delete everything in the folders. The banner ads are getting larger and more intrusive.

I know from the press that Yahoo is in financial trouble. I guess offering to delete emails is a way of Yahoo freeing up server storage and save them storage/costs. I wonder if Yahoo might go bust. If it does go bust, will another provider buy up the email service? I have 19,000 inbox emails and 21,000 outbox emails and I search them for old documents, facts, transaction information, passwords, phone numbers, etc. If the emails are deleted I will lose about 34% of my brain function. I am not sure I can face opening an account with a new provider unless I have to. It is said that people are more likely to get divorced than change their bank. It must be something close to that for email accounts. I'll do it if I have to.

Will Yahoo go bust?

Should I worry about it?

Should I take precautionary steps (and what might they be)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
import the emails to your something awful Private Messages

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yes and when you open your inbox all you're gonna hear is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

First they came for my email tabs and I said nothing.... :(

Please don't email-serve shame, goons...

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If you run too many searches you might crash the server

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
just lol if you post here and use 'free email' services, christ, what next AOL not giving you enough free hours of dial up?

export that tangled mess of emails to a PST in Outlook, and either keep it attached as an archive or (worse option) import it into a real Office 365 email account with your own custom domain

$4 a month, and you'll never see any ads, get a clean, clutter free webmail (or use your own email client), exchange level controls, and good spam filtering

update any services that use your old email, watch your old yahoo for 6 months for any leftovers, then delete it

i did a migration for a 30+ office a few months ago in the same situation, and they had preprinted marketing material with @yahoo.com email on it (tacky as gently caress) and now they are happy as clams, couldn't imagine doing any business oriented using yahoo services

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
or you could just, you know, let the emails go

seriously what the gently caress do you even need to save

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Infinotize posted:

If you run too many searches you might crash the server

i heard if you type "sex" into yahoo it will crash the computer and they will call your parents

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

My Linux Rig posted:

or you could just, you know, let the emails go

seriously what the gently caress do you even need to save
i really need the amazon receipt for the cybiko i bought in 2000!

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
alternative thread title: will yahoo go butts

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
anyone who uses e-mail for "time sensitive" information and professional work should just set up a mail server or pay for their e-mail service

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I hope they go bust so I can jack off.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

not immediately because they own like $25billion in allibaba shares

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
theyre gonna get sold to verizon so theyll end up like aol (however that is)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
email is not very good all communication should be like posting 😤😤😤

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

switch to Yandex mail, op

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Metrication posted:

email is not very good all communication should be like posting 😤😤😤
bring back google wave

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I hope flickr doesn't get messed up

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Marissa myers lives in a hotel because she knows yahoo is going down any day now

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Marissa myers lives in a hotel because she knows yahoo is going down any day now

An anagram of "yahoo" is "Yo, a ho"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
move your email to iCloud or gmail or outlook.com, what's the big deal op?

also yes, yahoo is dead. rip

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Silver Alicorn posted:

I hope flickr doesn't get messed up
didnt they already gently caress up flickr by (iirc) demanding a paid account if you upload from the desktop?

or are you joking and i didn't get it?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oh yeah

I use it purely as a source of panda pics tho

I guess everyone will move to instagram

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
♪♫♪ bustin' makes me feel good ♪♫♪

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i lust for yahoo death

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nobody seems to have replied to the op's questions so here you go: yes, no, and no respectively

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
good job marissa, heres your $55M

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
Reminder: Marissa spent nearly a million dollars on a vanity book about her to be given to new employees.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reminder: Marissa spent nearly a million dollars on a vanity book about her to be given to new employees.

she's kind of cute tbh

Apr 7, 2003

To celebrate her one-year anniversary, her team sent a companywide memo, which technology reporter Kara Swisher, who runs the Web site All Things D with Walt Mossberg, got hold of. The memo encouraged employees to thank Mayer “for everything she’s done for Yahoo” by clicking on a link that read “yo/thxmarissa.” The messages (which ranged from “Thank you for epitomizing the values of a Yahoo superstar” to “Marissa, you rock” to “Best CEO I ever worked for”) were collected in a book that featured photos of Mayer—wearing a red shirt to address a sea of purple-shirted, mostly male engineers; conducting an interview with Barefoot Contessa food guru Ina Garten; and more. “Yahoo! thanks you, Marissa!” reads the spine of the book. Mayer then had copies of the book sent out.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Thank you, for epitomizing the values of a Yahoo superstar

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

mike12345 posted:

she's kind of cute tbh

yeah, there's certainly one 'bust' at Yahoo that i'd love to see :mrgw:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

came here to poast this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

same

Citizen Tayne posted:

To celebrate her one-year anniversary, her team sent a companywide memo, which technology reporter Kara Swisher, who runs the Web site All Things D with Walt Mossberg, got hold of. The memo encouraged employees to thank Mayer “for everything she’s done for Yahoo” by clicking on a link that read “yo/thxmarissa.” The messages (which ranged from “Thank you for epitomizing the values of a Yahoo superstar” to “Marissa, you rock” to “Best CEO I ever worked for”) were collected in a book that featured photos of Mayer—wearing a red shirt to address a sea of purple-shirted, mostly male engineers; conducting an interview with Barefoot Contessa food guru Ina Garten; and more. “Yahoo! thanks you, Marissa!” reads the spine of the book. Mayer then had copies of the book sent out.

this is amazing. how they managed to retain any employees with this kind of bullshit is mind boggling

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

same

this is amazing. how they managed to retain any employees with this kind of bullshit is mind boggling

If it's the book I'm thinking of and there actually weren't two vanity books, it cost them nearly a million bucks to develop and print. That's some weird cult poo poo right there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh we've had C-levels go to yahoo in the past year

i dont understand it either

Apr 7, 2003

Ahahahaha there was more than one Mayer vanity book

http://recode.net/2016/02/02/marissa-mayers-big-red-book-a-guide-to-what-the-yahoo-ceo-will-do-next/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mike12345 posted:

she's kind of cute tbh

california six, kansas city nine

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

executives at that level operate on a plane of existence completely separate from ours

wonder what company mayer will move on to next. maybe do some minor damage at microsoft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

same

remember the time they threw a Wizard of Oz themed party up in Marin and all the managers had to come in costume as characters from the movie? (she was the only Dorothy in all the pictures I saw)

• Locked thread