Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

IIRC only Kasich was beating her in the polls and that probably has more to do with him being a generic republican candidate since no one knew who the gently caress Kasich was.
Kasich did a good job of seeming like a reasonable, compassionate Conservative with common sense values. And that is complete and utter bullshit, but it's not like even mediocre actors haven't gotten to the White House on the Republican ticket.

What's going to fuel a lot of Clinton votes is Trump hatred. Kasich wouldn't galvanize people to vote out of fear in the same way and would require Hilary to win on her own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Completely ignorant question here: Is it in the realm of possibility that Texas could go blue in this election?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I think Paul Ryan is a lock for 2020 unless there is another Trump-esque mutiny. And I think he'd have good chances of winning even if Hilary is doing favorably as President.

But it doesn't matter because this isn't about the Presidency. It's about the Supreme Court.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ryan is clearly aiming for a 2020 run, but I wouldn't count Kaisch entirely out. I suspect that part of his distancing from Trump and refusal to bend knee all the way is to better position himself as the dissenting voice of wisdom among the failed candidates* this time around, who can point at the smoldering crater Trump leaves of the party and say "warned you, didn't I?"

*Ignoring as always Jeb! because Jeb's a mess.
The problem is how well Kasich does when the primary isn't a sideshow where he can play adult.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

It's both. The pair of them completely flipped the poo poo of conservatives. They hated Hillary first because she was a liberal, ambitious, opinionated woman who clearly had the chops for national politics. Then Bill had the audacity to unseat an incumbent Republican after they had won 5 of six elections mostly by blowouts.

In 1992, the Republicans seriously believed they had a lock on the presidency forever and Clinton winning completely blew their minds. Rush Limbaugh began his shows with "America Held Hostage, Day X" after the election, and went from sarcastic and reasonably funny to completely nasty and mean. Erasing Bill Clinton from history and ensuring Hillary never became president became their sole obsession. The 90s were quite unpleasant, even worse than the Obama years.

Hillary becoming president will do more to destroy the Republican party than Obama did. She is the embodiment of everything they hate and fear. Why they've gone so far off the deep end with her I don't really understand, but they sure did.
And this is what makes me afraid. We've already seen the start of it. No President is ever legitimate with them.

You can say that this existed with Bush. But the 2000 election was more or less against the spirit of the electoral college (Gore didn't lose out of any sense that he wasn't fit to be President but because of a fluke with the math) and David Siegel claiming he did illegal things to secure the Florida election for Bush. And while tons of people didn't recognize Bush as a legitimate President, you didn't see much of that rhetoric come much from Kerry and Obama shied away from any calls to explore wrongdoing of the Bush administration.

In the end, Bush's legitimacy as President isn't really in question and Dems have more or less decided to settle for the argument the disgusting lie that Reagan is on the level of Lincoln.

Meanwhile, there are probably already meetings to try to figure out how to impeach Hilary.

EDIT: Despite everything we've seen, Hilary's argument is that Donald Trump should not become President. Christie's argument is that Hilary should be in prison.

Timeless Appeal has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread