Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

tfw a racist billionaire is trying to co-opt your message

for real though I hope people are smart enough to see through this bullshit

They just need to adopt enough sanity to undercut Clinton, then forget about it come December. Probably won't work. I hope.

Edit: Snipe sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Cephalocidal posted:

I think he looks pretty Handsome, Jack.

perfidious eyes

:chloe:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I don't give a poo poo what Julian Castro looks like!!!!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't give a poo poo what Julian Castro looks like!!!!

once you see it

its there forever

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
His hair is very well styled in that photo imo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Goetta posted:

His hair is very well styled in that photo imo

Probably paid $300 for that haircut.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Visible Changes

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Nonsense posted:

Visible Changes

that's a deep cut. i got a haircut at the galleria visible changes when i was a wee shaver

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Is voting reform progressive? (There doesn't seem to be any applicable threads for it or alternative systems atm)

http://www.rcvmaine.com/

While I focused on Q#1 for Maine I forgot to look at the other five, and Q#5 is more important than Q#1.
It'd certainly assist in making sure progressive candidates get a proper amout of support at the very least.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Aug 1, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Voting reform should be at the absolute forefront of progressive politics.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

punk rebel ecks posted:

Voting reform should be at the absolute forefront of progressive politics.

Yes. But tempered with a sound historical understanding of the pitfalls of entryism.
Basically, take five minutes to fill out a ballot, but don't let it stop you from burning it all down.

It's the classic carrot and stick, count our votes fairly and stop loving us or we end the current electoral system and make a new one.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://www.reddit.com/r/Maine/comments/4vn7lp/i_am_kyle_bailey_campaign_manager_for_the/

Apparently the campaign manager for the initiative did an AMA today answer questions

quote:

While Question 5 keeps party primaries, it adopts ranked choice ballots for these elections, too, so primary voters will have more voice and more choice in selecting Democratic, Republican, Green, and Libertarian nominees in our state.

Good news for both parties :D

quote:

Question:
Hey Kyle,
I'm curious if you or anyone else could touch on the potential downsides to ranked choice voting.

Answer:
RCV-Maine
Thanks for this question. As you can see from this thread, there are people who prefer other systems. There are also those who speculate about the constitutionality of different voting methods like Ranked Choice Voting, also addressed here.
Concerns raised, but not addressed elsewhere in this thread:

"It's confusing." Fact: Ranked Choice Voting is simple for voters. Over 90% of voters in American cities that use ranked choice voting report that the ballot is easy to understand, including in Portland, Maine, which has used ranked choice voting since 2011. Voters in American cities with Ranked Choice Voting approve of it overwhelmingly because it gives more voice to the people.

“It’s too expensive.” Fact: Ranked Choice Voting is the most cost-effective solution to restore majority rule and put more power in the hands of voters. Implementation costs include $75,000 to upgrade existing tabulators, $75,000 to upgrade technology at Secretary of State’s Office, $225,000 for printing additional ballot pages, and the balance is public safety costs to ensure election integrity. The total cost is $550,000, significantly less than the millions in taxpayer dollars required to conduct actual runoff elections, the leading alternative to this reform.

"This is a solution in search of a problem." Fact: In 9 of the last 11 elections for governor, candidates were elected by less than 50% of voters. In 5 of those races, candidates were elected by less than 40% of voters. These campaigns were defined by vote splitting, the need for strategic voting, and increase negativity.
We need a system that works. We'll be better off as a state when our leaders are once again elected by a majority of voters.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Aug 1, 2016

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUifliF0rBU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really really wanna see ranked/preferential voting become a thing in the United States in my lifetime. It just sounds way more sensible than typical FPTP approaches.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I really really wanna see ranked/preferential voting become a thing in the United States in my lifetime. It just sounds way more sensible than typical FPTP approaches.

Because it is.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Don't fall for it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
BRB digging some truth.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Coloradoans have this guy they can vote for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8OrLpAUTA
Arn Menconi

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm in the "don't vote third party camp" until referendum's are enacted. But I agree that the "Nader cost Gore the election" argument is unbelievably stupid.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm in the "don't vote third party camp" until referendum's are enacted. But I agree that the "Nader cost Gore the election" argument is unbelievably stupid.

Same.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

If Nader cost the Democrats the 2000 election, then why don't people say Perot cost H.W. Bush the 1992 election?

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Aug 3, 2016

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Nader cost the Democrats the 2000 election, then why don't people Perot cost H.W. Bush the 1992 election?

My dad says he did, lol.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Third parties can literally get crushed just by saying "you'll lose the election for [Major Party] if you vote for [Third Party]." It's not like people are dumb for saying it, it just shithouses them and it's completely effective in a soulcrushing way and therefore politically the strongest line of attack.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Still voting for Mickey Mouse.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Still voting for Mickey Mouse.

God bless

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

If Nader cost the Democrats the 2000 election, then why don't people say Perot cost H.W. Bush the 1992 election?

My understanding was that a bunch of Democrats in Florida ended up voting for Bush(quite a lot more than voted for Nader), and a whole lot more just didn't vote at all.

How come that never comes up?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

khwarezm posted:

My understanding was that a bunch of Democrats in Florida ended up voting for Bush(quite a lot more than voted for Nader), and a whole lot more just didn't vote at all.

Why would you want to think about possible failures in your campaign strategy when you can blame the electorate for not voting right instead?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zoran posted:

Why would you want to think about possible failures in your campaign strategy when you can blame the electorate for not voting right instead?

The establishment Democrats are truly a group stuck in a bubble. Constantly blaming voters instead of reaching out to them.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Crazy how they were only able to reach out to 51 million voters. How embarrassing, loving establishment!!! *smokes a blunt*

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

The only people it doesn't come up with are democrats who make the argument who will then straight ignore it if you do bring it up

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Crazy how they were only able to reach out to 51 million voters. How embarrassing, loving establishment!!! *smokes a blunt*

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

khwarezm posted:

More than a million registered Florida Democrats did not vote at all lol

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how similar to 2000 this election will be? A populist nationalist tough guy candidate on one side and a pretty unimpressive unexciting democrat on the other, I can see third parties drawing two or three percent of the vote nationally this time around. Could be significant depending on which states pull hard for third parties.

Democrats in the media are hitting the ground running with nasty media campaigns against Jill Stein, so they must be seeing some internal numbers that are a little bit scary for themselves. I'd love to see a DNC email leak for the next few months and look at how often Stein is mentioned.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

No one is nervous about Jill Stein, no one.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

I wonder how similar to 2000 this election will be? A populist nationalist tough guy candidate on one side and a pretty unimpressive unexciting democrat on the other, I can see third parties drawing two or three percent of the vote nationally this time around. Could be significant depending on which states pull hard for third parties.

Democrats in the media are hitting the ground running with nasty media campaigns against Jill Stein, so they must be seeing some internal numbers that are a little bit scary for themselves. I'd love to see a DNC email leak for the next few months and look at how often Stein is mentioned.

I just needed to quote this guy, saying the Dems are scared of Jill Stein.
Okay bye.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

nightmare stein

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I read that Gary is doing okay in Utah but haven't actually sought out the polls that indicate that. Congrats Gary.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

I read that Gary is doing okay in Utah but haven't actually sought out the polls that indicate that. Congrats Gary.

Gary Gilmore for prez.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm willing to bet a lot of republicans will go for The Johnson because they hate both Trump and Hillary, so he might be this years Nader/Perot/w/e

Also Nader/Perot did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Perot was cool for wrecking HW Bush despite being a chode of a man.

• Locked thread