Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
So the villain's motivation to do villainous things is that he can't get it up, and wants to possess a fertile 12 yo body to fix that. Am I reading that right, The 3rd Birthday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He just wants to be inside her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hell, use gameplay mechanics and have future-Hyde link up Aya's cop/CTI friends in the pews and Crossfire her rear end. It's a gameplay mechanic in a cutscene and also a stable time loop that doesn't rely solely on "then the police slaughtered everyone bye".

Seriously why didn't any of Aya's cop friends come to her wedding? If they can retcon half the poo poo they did in this game alone, they can handwave a "actually Madigan got in good graces with the government again because we realized that sequel-bait wasn't coming to fruition"

It would be so easy to have steered this whole game into not complete garbage territory, that's what makes it so frustrating :saddowns:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Miacis posted:

So the villain's motivation to do villainous things is that he can't get it up, and wants to possess a fertile 12 yo body to fix that. Am I reading that right, The 3rd Birthday?

I don't think whoever wrote that email communicated with whoever wrote the cutscene.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why does this game make no goddamn sense? How did anyone think this kind of twist was loving acceptable? I've read some loving awful dreck in my life, and this game's story certainly has made its way towards the top spots of that list.

...wait, so if Eve is actually Aya, then when Maeda was saying all that...oh, I've made myself sad.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yes. Yes. Yeeeeeeeeees.

The day this game was released in Japan, well I guess technically it was later that night, Japanese players had already beaten the game and were furious about the ending. A friend of mine had been looking up spoilerchat on 2chan, and she was complaining about the broad strokes (Aya's dead, you're playing as Eve, Aya is the twisted, embarrassing fetish costumes), and so that was like, the first thing I really knew about the game, but man oh man the details make it so much worse.

The 3rd Birthday: This is why abortion should be legal.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 28, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
loving WHAAAAAT?! :psyduck:

So umm... what the gently caress was the alien acne face Eve ghost? Or the actual ghost Eve that was hanging out with Madigan when he was introduced? Or the "potential for Eve" or whatever the gently caress with Cray that Madigan kidnapped? Did Eve's body just become a zombie ghost after she took over Aya? Whaaaaat?!

So are the Twisted all ravaging the world and trying to travel back in time to this point in order to... stop themselves from being made because Aya's soul isn't cool with causing the apocalypse? Or are they just going to forget that plot thread about the monsters the player had been fighting the entire game?

Holy poo poo. gently caress this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Camel Pimp posted:

This is amazing. Admittedly, I've been spoiled on the Eve plot twist, but there's so much more bullshit to complain about. For one, the whole "and the SWAT team kills everyone for no reason" is still grating on me. if a SWAT comes in and kills everyone at a wedding, any half-decent (no, I'm sorry, any breathing author) would know that the audience (and the characters!) would immediately ask "why." You don't have to give a good reason! Just a reason.
A writer did give a reason and said it's a mystery. They gave it as much thought as you think they did.

Mokinokaro posted:

Edit: and the ending was them running out of budget while the original movie was the director intentionally pissing off Japanese fans
I wish more Japanese-made games were made to intentionally piss of Japanese fans, that means we wouldn't have poo poo like this.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

What. The. Actual. gently caress.
No, gently caress this poo poo. gently caress Square-Enix.
I don't even know what to say.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I haven't even been following this LP because I liked Parasite Eve enough to not want to see how this game ruined it, and that twist STILL makes me want to vomit forever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TurnipFritter posted:

The day this game was released in Japan, well I guess technically it was later that night, Japanese players had already beaten the game and were furious about the ending.

Some things can cross cultural and geographical barriers.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So I guess since the SWAT assassination has no explanation, then we will not be nipping things in the bud by overdiving into them and preventing the murders.
Also, were they seriously just crouched behind the back pews the entire day, hoping no one would notice them?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably because she was already dying or something.

I just probably put more effort into thinking about it than the writers did.

And even that would be another case of weird contradiction with mechanics, since you die if you stay in/jump into a host that's dying, unless you pop Liberation, in which your super soul is the only thing that saves them from death. So unless we've been shattering the souls of soldiers left and right throughout the game, which wouldn't surprise me to learn at this point, we still find that 3rd Birthday writers have written themselves into a maze of corners they don't care enough to get out of.

The Dark Id posted:

sent a SWAT Team in to murder in everyone at a wedding

the incredibly loving stupid plot twist of ending

Overdived Eve is an incredibly aimbot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
way i figure it, they intended for the protagonist to be eve right from the start because aya is in her late 30's so she obviously isn't waifu material

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, there's the other reason I never got round to playing this. The one part of the story I found out before booting it up, and thank goodness for that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PFlats posted:

Man, you guys are awfully dramatic and over-the-top angry about a game that does not deserve this much emotional investment.

I'm sorry, did you miss the part where the beloved heroine of the previous two games in the series was unceremoniously killed off so that she could be replaced by her 12-year-old sister possessing her body which the game has been sexually objectifying since it started?

Because that's actually the kind of thing in a video game that's worth getting pissed off about! :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, wasn't eve supposed to be in college by then? they just decided that she never aged since pe2 because there weren't enough layers of awfulness already.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There is nothing in any video game short of rape scenes or explicitly supported bigotry to be seriously pissed off about, but that doesn't mean it isn't very cathartic to rip this awful game to metaphorical shreds

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Even if the NYPD did have some hosed up reason to have a shoot first policy concerning Aya, why did they shoot the priest? He wasn't even the biggest creeper in the room!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Even if the NYPD did have some hosed up reason to have a shoot first policy concerning Aya, why did they shoot the priest? He wasn't even the biggest creeper in the room!

Look, Aya's basically a black mage. You don't know what other kinds of magicians are out there, but if magic's real, always kill the healer first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually i guess i can kind of see why eve didn't age since if she had she would look the exact same as aya. but then, they didn't exactly shy away from confusing bullshit at every other opportunity so it was still probably the devs being creeps.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

actually, wasn't eve supposed to be in college by then? they just decided that she never aged since pe2 because there weren't enough layers of awfulness already.

Even if she has the same slow aging deal as Aya, you'd think she'd at least look 14 after over a decade.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ryushikaze posted:

Even if she has the same slow aging deal as Aya, you'd think she'd at least look 14 after over a decade.

aya de-aged into her physical peak and then stayed there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, if Hyde did manage to possess Eve, wouldn't that be ridiculous? Imagine someone in that flower girl outfit cackling and steepling their fingers.

EDIT: Wait, poo poo, that would just make her Maya from Drakengard 1.

Double Edit: VVV FUUUCK you beat me to the realization!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 28, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Urgh

I came up with an explanation for the swat team in 5 minutes - those guys are being possessed by the high ones from the future to trigger this event so they can come into being.

Also holy poo poo that twist was stupid, offensive, and makes all the clothing damage and sex noises even worse in retrospect.

Did the perversion designers communicate with the street hobo who wrote that cutscene?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Speedball posted:

So, if Hyde did manage to possess Eve, wouldn't that be ridiculous? Imagine someone in that flower girl outfit cackling and steepling their fingers.

Speak not the High Ones,
Draw not the High Ones,
Write not the High Ones,
Sculpt not the High Ones,
Sing not the High Ones,
Call not the High Ones' name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Urgh

I came up with an explanation for the swat team in 5 minutes - those guys are being possessed by the high ones from the future to trigger this event so they can come into being.

Also holy poo poo that twist was stupid, offensive, and makes all the clothing damage and sex noises even worse in retrospect.

Did the perversion designers communicate with the street hobo who wrote that cutscene?

there is no explanation. the writer openly admitted that the swat attack happened for no reason.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, that's the twist I heard of, but not the context.

Yeah, its dumb, but the sad thing is that (like a lot of Squenix problems) could be fixed with more effort.

Maybe make... ugh... Eve... have some development in between missions. Like having memories of some soldiers get wedged in her mind. Or just existential foreshadowing of "if I overdive into someone, is it still me coming back?"

But nope, we get an incredibly thread bare piece of poo poo held together by Refreshing Vulnerability.

And we're not done yet? Welp, its been awhile since someone posted this...

:allbuttons:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah but Eve was born/grown in 1998. No matter how you slice it she's 12 years old in 2010.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
Okay, but even if you explained why the SWAT guys were there and shooting Aya, how does it even make sense that they took her out? Aya can shoot laser beams, heal herself, turn into a kung-fu anime, light people on fire with her mind, create shields and god know what other stupid mitochondria buffoonery. How is a squad of like 5 goons supposed to deal with that? How are they supposed to deal with two of that since she has a clone? What?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mootiman posted:

Okay, but even if you explained why the SWAT guys were there and shooting Aya, how does it even make sense that they took her out? Aya can shoot laser beams, heal herself, turn into a kung-fu anime, light people on fire with her mind, create shields and god know what other stupid mitochondria buffoonery. How is a squad of like 5 goons supposed to deal with that? How are they supposed to deal with two of that since she has a clone? What?

And probably has a gunblade up her sleeve (don't tell me she didn't bring that to the wedding, she went to the opera armed back in the first game!)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zagglezig posted:

So I guess since the SWAT assassination has no explanation, then we will not be nipping things in the bud by overdiving into them and preventing the murders.
Also, were they seriously just crouched behind the back pews the entire day, hoping no one would notice them?

And even that would be another case of weird contradiction with mechanics, since you die if you stay in/jump into a host that's dying, unless you pop Liberation, in which your super soul is the only thing that saves them from death. So unless we've been shattering the souls of soldiers left and right throughout the game, which wouldn't surprise me to learn at this point, we still find that 3rd Birthday writers have written themselves into a maze of corners they don't care enough to get out of.

Evidently, we were supposed to be so shocked about their rapid-fire retcon "reveals" that we'd just completely ignore the fact that none of it makes any sense.

I'd like to think that there was, at one point, some explanation for that, but it got lost when they shuffled in the script pages from several, equally dumb, drafts. By the end, they'd written out anything logical related to the scene, but they had already made this fancy cutscene with a wedding being shot up by cops and they'd be damned if they didn't keep it in.

On the plus side, I've finally found a game ending more insulting than Mass Effect 3.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Speedball posted:

And probably has a gunblade up her sleeve (don't tell me she didn't bring that to the wedding, she went to the opera armed back in the first game!)

A shotgun that shoots freezing cyanide grenadeshot. Because Aya can make those. It's not a mitochondria superpower, it's just something you pick up in the NYPD in PEs universe.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part XXXIII: Sweet Dreams

Previously on The 3rd Birthday, it turned out Aya Brea has actually been Eve Brea hijacking her sister’s body the entire game. The real Aya Brea had her soul shattered by the first ever Overdive and that sent its fragments careening into the future which produced the Twisted race. Hyde Bohr, who is from a race of High Ones produced by Eve’s original body dying and sending off evolution rays, wants to merge with Eve so the High One race can reproduce and destroy the Twisted in their endless Time War. Or something close to that.

Anyway, let’s see how those Brea gals get out of this one…

Hyde Bohr getting shot would do it. Sure, he’s gotten shot a hundred times and died once already. But, as everyone knows, cutscene bullet potency is exponentially more powerful than standard bullets.

And the shooter of the evil anime man in the white suit?

Why it’s the real Aya Brea, of course. Sure, she’s been bleeding out on the floor for ten minutes while Hyde has been reciting his villain monologue. But the first magic spell Parasite Energy ability she unlocked was the power to self-heal. From laser beam blasts and mutant rat fireballs. Getting shot a few times shouldn’t be that big a deal. Hell, the guy she was marrying shot her once. And she set him partially on fire with her mind. It was a strange relationship.

Leave her alone, will you?
Aya!?

What? Aya's soul should be gone!

Well, it's already been destroyed.
Or… something? I dunno. I was only half listening to that crap and understood even less.

Aya Brea is having none of this anime bullshit and riddles Hyde with bullets. And yes, this time Hyde Bohr is incredibly dead for good.

Just to be certain, one more right in the face. No half-measures when dealing with anime villains.

New Music: Dive Into Myself – Changing to… –

Welp. So much for having a small, quiet ceremony…

Oh… hey, sweetie. Sorry about that. Heh… Umm… crazy day, huh?
I’VE BEEN LIVING IN YOUR BODY FOR THREE YEARS FIGHTING MONSTERS FROM THE FUTURE MADE OUT OF YOUR SOUL!
Yeah… that’s rough. Well, at least my body helped you out with shooting fireballs and healing and such.
The... the what? You could do that?
Oh… Right. I stopped doing that sorta mitochondria powers thing around y—poo poo. Sorry… I guess I didn’t come with a user’s manual.
Also, I-I think I turned everyone you invited into monster people too. Except… for Cray. He didn’t turn into a monster guy. Oh… oh geez. Does that make me racist? Oh no…
Oh. No! Of course not! Don’t be silly. You can’t control these kinda weird science things. Look, listen to me…

Aya flips the pistol around in her hand…

*nods*

Listen. You need to aim here.
*gasps* Oh… Ah…

Right now!
I’m not getting stuck in the future as a million ugly, goofy monsters again. That sucked! We need to stop that before it happens again.
I just can't! I can't do this!

C’mon. You can do this. Just right in the heart. You’ve got to do it in one shot, otherwise I’m gonna heal. Otherwise you run the risk of knocking me out and SOMETIMES that makes everyone near me catch on fire. You don’t want that. It’s a bad scene.
*sniffle* I just want you to stay.

I wish I could've... exchanged my vows with Kyle.
And… you know… all of the rest of this. I knew getting married on Christmas Eve was a bad idea. But he insisted. ‘Oh Aya, you can’t write off Christmas Eve forever just because of that one opera show where everyone burned to death and you fought an electric alligator. We’ll get married then. Make it a good day!’
*sighs and frowns* Yeah… Great idea, Kyle. That went just great.

*smile*

*frown*

I don’t—I just can’t…
…Oh. poo poo. You are… You’re doing the thing. The thing that went real bad for everyone.

(Uggggh… This is the worst wedding ever. Fine. gently caress it!)

Aya hugs her weird, time anomaly producing clone one last time before committing to sorting this out.

You picking up what I’m putting down?
I… No? W-Wha…
Look… Just do your Overdrive.
Overdive.
WHATEVER! Do the thing and follow my lead.
…It doesn’t really work like that.
Not with that attitude!

To sum up what happened here to the best of my understanding: In the original botched Overdive, Eve permanently jumped into Aya’s body and smashed her soul in the process, while leaving Eve’s original body to die. Apparently the whole soul smashing thing isn’t instant. It was caused by Eve’s soul staying in Aya’s body long enough to cause it (presumably the same time as her original flipped out and caused the High Ones while dying.) It’s like say if you sat on a dog’s head. If you did it briefly by accident, but quickly got up, that dog wouldn’t be happy. But it wouldn’t be dead. Pass out drunk on that puppy’s head in the middle of the night and it’s going to be dead by the time you wake up in a stupor the next morning. I guess... Maybe? I'm just trying to rationalize this nonsense and probably putting in more effort than the writers did.

So, by Hyde tossing Eve back in her original body with his weird, poorly defined Overdive abilities, Aya’s soul is kinda damaged enough to cause the Twisted thing if she stayed alive, but still but not completely shatter yet. So that’s how she comes back and ices Hyde. Hyde Bohr was a tremendous idiot. Likewise, Eve’s body is going to flip out and cause the High Ones to be created here shortly. I guess Hyde was wrong about the part where it happened because Eve’s old body was dying. Or something… Look, I’m not entire sure.

The point is, what if this time Eve Brea and Aya Brea just exchanged souls instead of anyone destroying anyone else’s soul and accidentally causing an apocalypse?

And so while Hyde Bohr’s Tentacle Abomination and Aya Eve Brea Gymnastics Session was the final fight of The 3rd Birthday…

There is one last final gameplay bit of this stupid, loving game…

The final bit of gameplay of The 3rd Birthday is passing on the series protagonist torch to Eve Brea by murdering Aya Brea. Or more correctly, just snuffing out the Parasite Eve series once and for all. Let's shoot dead the series protagonist in the body of a 12 year old child. The Assassination of Aya Brea by the Coward Square-Enix.

I bet you didn’t think that the thread title was literal this whole time, now did you?

Tune in next time for the last of the ending to The 3rd Birthday.

Video: The 3rd Birthday Ending Part 2
(Yes. You should watch this.)

Aya Wedding Dress – Nice day for a red wedding.

Aya Wedding Promotional CG – Apparently the original pitch for The 3rd Birthday was solely Aya throwing down at her own wedding. That’s as far as the cellphone game ever made it before they realized it would sell more on the PSP if they expanded it to a full title. And welp…

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 29, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Hahahahaha. I was waiting so long for this moment.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My brain is starting to glaze over from this. Can someone give me a Cliffsnotes of this? I literally don't know what's happening anymore.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

It’s like say if you sat on a dog’s head. If you did it briefly by accident, but quickly got up, that dog wouldn’t be happy. But it wouldn’t be dead. Pass out drunk on that puppy’s head in the middle of the night and it’s going to be dead by the time you wake up in a stupor the next morning.

Your Yoko Taro is hanging out, TDI.

Sweet shooting a 12 year old at point blank gameplay mechanic though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 28, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wow, it's just like after fighting The Boss in MGS3! Except not good, memorable, engaging or emotional in any way. Awesome!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I.. You know what, I give up trying to make sense of this. Let's just murder Aya after she finally did something good in this godawful game and move on with our soul-displaced child-in-adult-body lives.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm laughing in pain at this moment. Here it is people, the bottom of the barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just when you think they're done being aggressively offensive, they make you shoot a wounded woman for no adequately explained reason. Thanks Squeenix, we needed this in our lives.

• Locked thread