Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Worse. In Japan T3B Aya and FF13 Lightning were voiced by the same actress. Bear that and appearance similarities in mind whenever the game strips her for reasons, like it did just now.

Wasn't there some cross promotional content between this game and Dissidia too? I know Lightning had an Aya costume in Duodecim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
Huh. Never realized Aya has the same birthday as I do.

The Dark Id posted:

Don’t worry about time paradoxes, since nobody on the writing staff looked up what that meant. Great!

Considering Toriyama's track record, this is more a blessing than anything.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

There was one in Shadow The Hedgehog. That's one game with a slightly less coherent story than this one.

Eh. I'd say the time travel shenanigans puts T3B on somewhat lower level of coherency than Shadow.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
I thought the past only changed if you destroyed a Big Orb?

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Well yeah, when this mission is over time's rewritten and rewound, so we end back up before the mission where Hunter hasn't done poo poo. Which means he can pull off this twist EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Unless he's arbitrarily dead again in the new timeline.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Haha. Psyche.

Did time-ghost Eve do that just to screw with Aya?

Cuz that's pretty lovely of her.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If Aya's the only one aware, then why is her boss (wossname with the slick hairdo, not the expunged-from-the-timestream boss) informing her about the changes she's created after every mission? He's also the one that went "we lost Cray" after mission 1, like that wasn't something Aya should have known about for days.

(Answer: because the player needs to be informed, and heaven forbid that the player learn anything through any action taken by Aya. Everything has to be done for her)

I think the FBI getting destroyed in the original and third timelines was a relatively recent event. Likewise, Cray's death is only 3 days before the start of the loop. So it's less Hyde telling her what changed and more Hyde giving her info that he thinks she doesn't have yet.

That said, your answer isn't wrong.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
So Aya did tell everyone about the previous timeline? And nobody cares?

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

So in this version of New York:

--The 6 train and the 7 train no longer exist.
--The 3 train has apparently jumped lines from 7th Avenue to 6th Avenue and possibly merged with the Times Square--Grand Central shuttle line, given the gray color of the number.
--Also, the 6th Avenue line now connects to Grand Central Terminal and is also somehow near the Lexington Avenue line.
--Either that is a garbled B or G alongside the D train, I can't really tell.

They only did a quick search of the nearest subway lines to Grand Central and did not bother to check for accuracy, didn't they?

I was more distracted by the fact that the trains themselves seem to be made for a race of giants.

quote:

Either that or shirnking the protagonist is yet another thing this and Other M have in common.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012
And we won't be getting any real answers since Cray will probably be erased for the next timeline.

AradoBalanga posted:

Or, the "editors" are Toriyama's BFFs and they gave him a passing grade because friendship or something.

He also severely outranks pretty much anyone else who would also have a spot on the writing team. So I doubt any editor would be willing to talk to him about his weird obsession with waifus and obtuse time travel rules.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The random body she's possessing will betray her! :pseudo:

Considering what she did to all of his friends, that would actually be a rather appropriate betrayal.

Woodbeam fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

What I wouldn't give to eat ice cream together with you once again.

Oh, so this was really a Kingdom Hearts game the entire time.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

They had absolutely no loving idea what they were doing with this story, but y'know, at least the time travel bullshit was mildly consistent with itself.

I'm honestly still not even sure what causes the past to change.

The tutorial mission didn't change anything. Then we're shown that destroying the night club boss(who may or may not have been a Big Orb) causes the past to change instantly. The past has an arbitrary boot up time with Gabrielle, but at least both times make it seem like the past changing is an automatic consequence of defeating a boss. Yet the previous mission has Hyde imply it's something that has to be manually activated, even though everyone who could have done it during mission 2 was KO'd and Aya has seemingly no control over it? Also the person who got time fragged that time wasn't even a Twisted or a Bad Orb or whatever.

I'm usually somewhat decent at deciphering convoluted JRPGs, but T3B really does feel like they they cobbled a bunch of random stuff together, threw some fanservice on top, and called it a day.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

berryjon posted:

It's coming, and knowing what it is just makes it worse.

If I have to suffer from knowing this ending, then so should everyone else.

The real pain for me was remembering all the stupid stuff that happened in-between. Like, I remembered that Maeda shows up, but him being this creepy totally slipped my memory. As did all the specific details behind the High One stuff, and Blank just kinda just biting it off-screen.

Strangely I still remembered Boss, despite his 5 minutes of screentime.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

I still love Hyde’s ridiculous proportions. I think it’s the fact he’s still wearing pants, a belt, and tie that makes it funniest. Regardless, the early half of the battle is exactly the same as the end of Episode 5’s brawl with Bohr. Just with a lot more teleporting on his part.

Boss Hyde Concept – I am still intensely disappointed the other bosses weren’t like this goofy son of a bitch.

Wait, his clothes are stretchy too?

Does that mean they're just part of his true form?

thetruegentleman posted:

Why the gently caress is Blank here..? WHY THE gently caress IS BLANK HERE?!? He isn't some High One, he wasn't at the wedding, he has an ACTUAL CORPSE (you know, from NOT DISINTEGRATING? The one thing everyone else actually HAS IN COMMON?) and he hasn't had military training like everyone else, so his body is just some flimsy piece of poo poo that has no hope in an actual fight!

This *seriously* bothers me, because he shouldn't be in EITHER script! Not the one where Aya is sleeping with Hyde and fighting in the actual army, and not the one where Eve has friends at the wedding and is responsible for the Twisted. You did NOT earn a "power of friendship" ending, Third Birthday! YOU. DID. NOT. EARN IT! :bang:

The power of "we don't really believe in or even like you, but you're the only one who does anything, so whatever" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

Waffleman_ posted:

At least, I don't think Emily has spoken in this game, just in datalogs.

She's spoken. You may even recognize her voice actress.

Danaru posted:

I just wanna know who's birthday it is :(

You'll live to regret those words.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

Also why did Aya's 'soul' suddenly start wearing the clothes Eve wore three years in the future

They didn't want to make the player shoot a child, but they also didn't want to model and texture a new costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

----- Emily Jefferson -----

She had a lot going for her: innocence, curiosity, a brilliant and insightful intellect... and a millionaire father.

W-why is "innocence" here?

absolutely anything posted:

why is everything normal except the statue of liberty's head is on a building

why do they have such an obsession with the statue of liberty's head being places it should not

Now I'm just imagining them pulling a 'Where's Waldo?' and hiding the Statue of Liberty's head in every level.

• Locked thread