Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On the other hand, I've also realised that seniority succession law loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I grew up in a small town in the south and a mom who teaches bible study to the elderly. My middle and high school science teachers were actually really knowledgeable and didn't interject creationism into the curriculum, just mentioned it as an option. Even though I'm sure all of them were christians. Almost everyone else either believed in both or just young-earth creationism. "If humans come from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?" ect.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The question should be have you met someone who doesn't believe in evolution and is not religious.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Every story I ever hear on this site about slapping hams makes me all like, "yeah, gently caress that slut" but then I realize it's GBS and that the chicks probably pretty fat and/or ugly.

Which bums me out.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

loquacius posted:

Super catholic girl in high school, her argument was basically "wouldn't it just make sense for an omnipotent creator to make humans in his own image? doesn't it just feel right?" and I was like "uh not really???" and she was frustrated because she couldn't express herself any more clearly than she already had and it was fairly awkward (no one clapped)

Honestly, if I'm made in God's image, then we have a pretty lovely God imo.

Also it's weird because my family is Catholic af and almost all of them believe in scientific consensus, (I blame Catholic school) but almost every protestant in my hometown was a creationist.

All I'm saying is we should have "civilized" the pagans a bit harder.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
I go to a southern Baptist college for commuting purposes, so yes. Lots. I had a biochemistry professor who was a creationist, and a microbiology professor who believed that people in the old testament actually lived for 500 years because Jesus hadn't invented diseases yet or something????

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

genesplicer posted:

No selection pressure to become so.

I'm sure that's not true. I have been pressuring them to become unicorns all my life

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Zorodius posted:

I'm sure that's not true. I have been pressuring them to become unicorns all my life

You need to start murdering horses. Horse tastes pretty good too. No death, no selection.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If my great grandfather was a monkey, then why was he killed by a monkey?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

It's funny how a lot of these people think that evolution is some monolithic event that happens to a species and not a collection of many different processes occurring over long periods of time

Like if you believe that a monkey just gave birth to a human baby one day, I can see how you would think evolution is dumb

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
if evolution was real maybe youd evolve a brain and realize that evolution is NOT real :smuggo:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

if evolution was real maybe youd evolve a brain and realize that evolution is NOT real :smuggo:

Intelligence has a low heritability co-efficient.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i dare u to convince me, LIEbrals :smugyellowman:

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

As a teenager I babysat a family friend's kids and noticed they had a children's equivalent of these magazines:

I found out the other babysitter, a married evangelical neighborhood do-gooder, would bring them to whoever needed their kids being looked after. He also organized neighborhood sports leagues using a local's school gym and would somehow fit creationism quizzes into halftime, and took kids on fossil-hunting expeditions so they could find themselves further evidence of evolutionist idiocy.
He was married and unemployed having lost his job as a french teacher at a local elementary for making all the assignments about translating the Bible. I remember his wife was a hairdresser and heard through the grapevine that her close friends and co-workers were mostly gay dudes that would have upset him possibly to the point that he insisted she should immediately get new job/friend-group. When I met him he was a "nice guy". Also the kids I babysat never bought his creationism propaganda.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

genesplicer posted:

Pretty much all of my extended family most of them work for churches in the Bible Belt and such.

However, being a science teacher who emphsizes biological evolution whenever I get the chance, I have run into quite a few parents who believe in creationism. I have butted heads with many parents over the years and have developed quite a reputation for my dogged support of science. I do have two favorite examples:

1. One year, at Back To School, I had a mom who was very belligerent. She demanded to know why I would teach evolution to children. I answered her, that it was not only state law, but also verified science. She kept hammering me, bringing up all this creationist nonsense, all of which I countered with science. After several relentless minutes she finally stopped, smiled and said " I guess my daughter's in the right class." It turns out she was a biology professor at the local university and taught evolution, and wanted to make sure her daughter was getting a decent science education.

2. Quite a long time ago, we got word that a bunch of creationists were going to address the school board. Since anybody can address the board, I signed up to offer my views. During the board meeting, I endured a group of people trying to explain why evolution was bad, and how, at the least we needed to have "equal time", in the name of "fairness". When I got up for my turn, I explained that I taught science, and that creationism was, in no way, based on science, that it was a thinly-veiled attempt to bring one particular religious view into the science class. Then I said "I will now provide you with every single example of scientifically verifiable evidence that supports creationism over evolution:" I spent the rest of my time in absolute silence as the board and audience became increasingly unconfortable.

Eventually the board concluded that evolution is part of the science curriculum, and creationism wasn't, and trying to shoehorn it into the curriculum would just take up valuable time in out already-crowded schedule.

What kind of refreshments do they offer at the school board meetings?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I know a loving high school teacher who's hard core Christian. Every science lesson begins with. "Well, the scientists say xxxxx, so I have to teach you, but there are other opinions on this."

Also this fucker goes on and on about how global warming is BS every time we have a day cool enough to wear long sleeves.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

I go to a southern Baptist college for commuting purposes, so yes. Lots. I had a biochemistry professor who was a creationist, and a microbiology professor who believed that people in the old testament actually lived for 500 years because Jesus hadn't invented diseases yet or something????

The people that lived a really long time in the Old Testament (and we know that they did, because the Bible says they did) had superior genetics. Adam and Eve were created with perfect human DNA, but when they sinned (The Fall), their DNA was corrupted and each successive generation inherited progressively worse DNA.

These people put a lot of thought into a really dumb idea.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I worked for a long time in the one of the biggest natural science museums in the world. Giant loving dinosaur skeletons everywhere and those sharks with the spiral of teeth on their lower jaw. Amazing place. But I met a surprising number of people who worked there who just didn't "believe" in evolution, almost always because of religion. I guess I found it startling at first but then stopped giving a poo poo. I mean, I guess maybe it's enough that people look at SUE the T-Rex and be awed.

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 30, 2016

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

loquacius posted:

Super catholic girl in high school, her argument was basically "wouldn't it just make sense for an omnipotent creator to make humans in his own image? doesn't it just feel right?" and I was like "uh not really???" and she was frustrated because she couldn't express herself any more clearly than she already had and it was fairly awkward (no one clapped)

She sounds like she's actually dumb, not just some kid who's been misled by adults. The Vatican basically, though unofficially, endorses the view that evolution is real and was initiated and guided by God.

I've lived in the US all my life, and I've never met someone irl who doesn't believe in evolution. Well I probably have, but it's never come up. There was a boy at my high school (younger than me, never met him) who got up in science class and said evolution isn't real. The teacher cut off his "intelligent design" spiel and sent him to the principal's office for disrupting class.

Sometimes, anti-evolution bullshit in conservative US Protestant sects can be traced to people who do accept evolution. They think the other faithful wouldn't be able to reconcile evolution with faith in God.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Uncle Salty posted:

I worked for a long time in the one of the biggest natural science museums in the world. Giant loving dinosaur skeletons everywhere and those sharks with the spiral of teeth on their lower jaw. Amazing place. But I met a surprising number of people who worked there who just didn't "believe" in evolution, al,oust always because of religion. I guess I found it startling at first but then stopped giving a poo poo. I mean, I guess maybe it's enough that people look at SUE the T-Rex and be awed.

Did you work at the Field?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

In the majority of America outside of bigger cities most people don't believe in evolution. Dealing with them is pretty much the same as dealing with any other normal person, I do not have any "pro tips" to offer you OP. I don't usually find myself talking about evolution in everyday conversation, and anyway, trying to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into is dumb and gay.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
One of my old high-school friends went of the deep end and started railing about those drat evolutionists, all talkin bout where are the transitional fossils, huh!?

He also is a truther, and a believer in the NWO.

Pity too, he had the capacity to be a really smart dude, it's sad to see him take the bus to crazytown.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The people that lived a really long time in the Old Testament (and we know that they did, because the Bible says they did) had superior genetics. Adam and Eve were created with perfect human DNA, but when they sinned (The Fall), their DNA was corrupted and each successive generation inherited progressively worse DNA.

These people put a lot of thought into a really dumb idea.

This also let's Boomers feel superior to Millenials.

Pretty convenient imho.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
adolf hitler!!! ;)

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
At least now I know what micro-evolution means. I wish I had when my dad used to say it all the time because I could have argued something that stupid.

He was one of the smartest people I've known, but after a brain aneurysm when I was in high school, he went on the gradual descent into evangelical Christianity over 20 years until he died. It began with Rush Limbaugh and reading a bible during his lunch break at work to bring really into that guy who has the creationism theme park and thinks dinosaurs walked with man. He kept trying to get me to listen to that guys podcasts.

After he died my mom gave me his laptop and the bag was full of notebooks with conspiracy website links and those crazy person diagrams where random words have arrows pointed to other words and some are circled over and over. At least he was crazy on all counts.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There are people who don't "believe" in evolution, and then there are the people who understand what it is.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Orkin Mang posted:

adolf hitler!!! ;)

Albert Einsten!!! ;)

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

GORDON posted:

There are people who don't "believe" in evolution, and then there are the people who understand what it is.

uhh I'm not a monkey you retard i am a Free Citizen of the Land and I am Traveling

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

criscodisco posted:

At least now I know what micro-evolution means. I wish I had when my dad used to say it all the time because I could have argued something that stupid.

He was one of the smartest people I've known, but after a brain aneurysm when I was in high school, he went on the gradual descent into evangelical Christianity over 20 years until he died. It began with Rush Limbaugh and reading a bible during his lunch break at work to bring really into that guy who has the creationism theme park and thinks dinosaurs walked with man. He kept trying to get me to listen to that guys podcasts.

After he died my mom gave me his laptop and the bag was full of notebooks with conspiracy website links and those crazy person diagrams where random words have arrows pointed to other words and some are circled over and over. At least he was crazy on all counts.

I brang up micro-evolution to a creationist friend once, he pulled the old "why can't we observe evolution?"

I asked him about dog breeds and hereditary traits, and he stonewalled me with a "That doesn't count." Line.

You can't say they are moving goalposts, because it's more like the goalposts exist in a state of quantum flux to begin with!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

genesplicer posted:

Pretty much all of my extended family most of them work for churches in the Bible Belt and such.

However, being a science teacher who emphsizes biological evolution whenever I get the chance, I have run into quite a few parents who believe in creationism. I have butted heads with many parents over the years and have developed quite a reputation for my dogged support of science. I do have two favorite examples:

1. One year, at Back To School, I had a mom who was very belligerent. She demanded to know why I would teach evolution to children. I answered her, that it was not only state law, but also verified science. She kept hammering me, bringing up all this creationist nonsense, all of which I countered with science. After several relentless minutes she finally stopped, smiled and said " I guess my daughter's in the right class." It turns out she was a biology professor at the local university and taught evolution, and wanted to make sure her daughter was getting a decent science education.

2. Quite a long time ago, we got word that a bunch of creationists were going to address the school board. Since anybody can address the board, I signed up to offer my views. During the board meeting, I endured a group of people trying to explain why evolution was bad, and how, at the least we needed to have "equal time", in the name of "fairness". When I got up for my turn, I explained that I taught science, and that creationism was, in no way, based on science, that it was a thinly-veiled attempt to bring one particular religious view into the science class. Then I said "I will now provide you with every single example of scientifically verifiable evidence that supports creationism over evolution:" I spent the rest of my time in absolute silence as the board and audience became increasingly unconfortable.

Eventually the board concluded that evolution is part of the science curriculum, and creationism wasn't, and trying to shoehorn it into the curriculum would just take up valuable time in out already-crowded schedule.

and that gbs mod was albert einstien

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Had a guest speaker in Sunday school who talked about why young-earth creationism was the only valid valid theory if you believe in the bible. I'm a quasi-fundamentalist, but I'm pretty indifferent on Evolution; I don't think it's a hill the church really has any need to die on.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The only time I remember evolution being brought up in school was in the 6th grade when my science teacher just skipped over that chapter, saying that since he didn't believe in it he's not going to teach it. Never came up in any other year until I learned about it in college. I imagine a large majority of people around me don't believe in evolution, but it's not like the topic would have come up for discussion.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Zorodius posted:

if evolution is real why arent horses unicorns

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/living/real-unicorn-remains/

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dreddout posted:

Honestly, if I'm made in God's image, then we have a pretty lovely God imo.

Also it's weird because my family is Catholic af and almost all of them believe in scientific consensus, (I blame Catholic school) but almost every protestant in my hometown was a creationist.

All I'm saying is we should have "civilized" the pagans a bit harder.

"If you care so much about what's in the Bible then why are you a protestant? " was how my dad would shut down my Baptist mother's family. It was always a hoot

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ive read the whole bible

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I went to a catholic school when I was little. In 2nd, or 3rd grade maybe, I did a science project one year on evolution, and the priests, teachers and older students that were grading the projects were super encouraging. I didn't get a very good grade in the end, but that's because I bit off more than I could chew at the time and my project sucked.

Several years later when I was in a public school I found a copy of On the Origin of Species in the library, and decided to take another crack it. Random people would come up to me and get real mad that I was reading it. Like face red screaming "I ain't no fuckin monkey" at me mad.

Weird stuff.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 30, 2016

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I live in a country where two thirds of the population is Roman Catholic and ive witnessed the subject of intelligent design being brought up only once. In a biology class the teacher suddenly raised his voice to say something to the effect of it's not the work of us scientists to disprove what God hath created.
His class suddenly became loiter an smoke cheap cigarettes time after that

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I'm no kin to the monkey
The monkey's no kin to me
I don't know much about his ancestors
But mine don't swing from a tree

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yup, the entire thing, and boy was i rolling my eyes the whole time. it wasnt very scientfic, and im kindof a nerd like that haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My high school biology teacher was a disaster and twice a week would show us whatever she had rented from blockbuster. A few times she broke down in tears and told us about the time in college she got raped.

All tests were open book because she wasn't teaching us poo poo.

• Locked thread