Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Earwicker posted:

are you referring to camouflage
Yeah but when I typed out 'a camo jacket' in my mind all I could see what a military-style pattern so I figured I'd be more specific then that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Earwicker posted:

are you referring to camouflage

I was thinking more bob marley

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
also im not entirely convinced a mossy oak jacket can rightly be described as 'camouflage'

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

arent they generally worn as camo when hunting? i thought thats why they were so popular among rednecks

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

ahiwattamplifier posted:

I live in a country where two thirds of the population is Roman Catholic and ive witnessed the subject of intelligent design being brought up only once. In a biology class the teacher suddenly raised his voice to say something to the effect of it's not the work of us scientists to disprove what God hath created.
His class suddenly became loiter an smoke cheap cigarettes time after that

Ireland?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Earwicker posted:

arent they generally worn as camo when hunting? i thought thats why they were so popular among rednecks
They are worn for that purpose but I question the effectiveness of it.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

No, but that's because it hasn't come up in my co-workers' conversations. However they do believe that Climate Change is caused entirely by the sun,

Well, technically they're not wrong

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
i live in oklahoma, op. everyone here is christian

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jim Barris posted:

They are worn for that purpose but I question the effectiveness of it.

a jacket depicting leaves and branches could in no way help one blend in with trees, agreed

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
In early 1997 I had just started working at a car dealer in the parts department. To strike up a conversation with a co-worker, I mentioned the previous night's episode of Nova about the K/T extinction event, and how they had found the impact crater under the Gulf of Mexico. He replied "You believe that poo poo?" I quickly realized that he had a dangerously low IQ, and the best thing to do was to avoid talking to him as much as possible.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Blue Train posted:

a jacket depicting leaves and branches could in no way help one blend in with trees, agreed

evolution disproved

Cooties
Oct 31, 2012
At the county fair where I live, there's a booth of Christians that flag people down and ask if they believe in evolution. I decided to give it a shot one year and said yes. One of the guys smirked and said "take a look at this..." while handing me a DVD and cross shaped America pin, presumably to save my soul. I watched the DVD with some friends later. The whole film is a man going around harassing first year English majors at one university, asking if they believe in evolution and then to describe one case of an observed change in kind. When they're flustered, he turns the camera around to make the "checkmate, atheists" face. They also show interviews with some real scientists that start to explain things well, and then cut away from them mid-sentence. It was pretty entertaining.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I worked with a nurse that made the following two statements during a discussion:

1: I don't believe in evolution.
2: I think things change over time.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Dreddout posted:

I brang up micro-evolution to a creationist friend once, he pulled the old "why can't we observe evolution?"

The past tense of "bring" is "brought," not "brang."

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Bobbie Wickham posted:

He brangeth the noise.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Berk Berkly posted:

He brangeth the noise.

But didst he brangeth the funk?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Uncle Salty posted:

I did indeed. The best place.

Nice, that was my favorite museum growing up in Chicago. What was your job there?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jim Barris posted:

I used to work with this pakistani guy who didn't believe in evolution. It was weird he was like a naturalized redneck muslim, spent his free time doing karate and muddin. Wore those jackets with pictures of leaves and poo poo on them. I've met other people who didn't believe in evolution but those people were boring so I'm not gonna say any more about them.

that's strange. most muslims do believe in evolution, and are really generally pro-science compared to christianity since its in their belief that allah wanted them to seek out and understand the universe or something, but sort of hand-waved to say 'allah/god created the big bang and his hand guided evolution' which i guess is a lot better than earth is "4000 years old and god created all people q.e.d."

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My adjunct geology 1010 professor. She started the first class saying that some people belive in the biblical creation of the earth and the earth is not as old as some think. She said she was one of those people to get that cleared out of the way, and she taught the class without mentioning it again.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

how the gently caress are you going to be a young earth creationist geologist :psyduck:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blue Train posted:

how the gently caress are you going to be a young earth creationist geologist :psyduck:

you dont have to actually believe in evolution in order to figure out where oil or coal or natural gas is. the processes of finding natural resources are still the same whether you believe in the science of where everything came from or not. just like you can still repair a car even if you believe gasoline is made from unicorn blood or whatever.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I went to a private Catholic school that taught both science and religion. The science part included some evolution, naturally.

When a student asked about the contradiction of the days of genesis vs fossil dating, the religion teacher said the concept of time and God are different from ours. Also my mind was blown when I asked a teacher if Egyptian gods existed and he said "no" and also made the class research a famous scientist and their works. I ended up with Charles Darwin. That probably played a major role in me having a week-long self-destructive extensional crisis over evolution vs creation several years down the line. I then got better and now I internally throw middle fingers at everybody I meet even more so than I did in the past.

That's all I can remember :shrug:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Does it really matter whether people believe in evolution? I mean, intelligent design is stupid as gently caress, but it has no real world implications if people believe it. It's not like Climate Change where people's opinions can actually impact the world in some way through policy and societal habits.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RedMage129 posted:

Does it really matter whether people believe in evolution?

No, not exactly. If you're random cashier at a grocery store does, who cares really. The problem is when educators and states like Texas which control a lot of textbook power do so and intentionally gimp education then yes, that's a problem.

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

Earwicker posted:

you dont have to actually believe in evolution in order to figure out where oil or coal or natural gas is. the processes of finding natural resources are still the same whether you believe in the science of where everything came from or not. just like you can still repair a car even if you believe gasoline is made from unicorn blood or whatever.

Young earth creationism is about more than evolution, it's about the formation of the earth and the whole universe from a biblical literalist perspective. Trying to prove that the world is only 6000 years old and that there was once a global flood that covered the entire earth's surface is a tricky proposition for a geologist.The problem with YEC is that it attempts to justify the whole 6000 year old earth thing with actual sciencey-sounding stuff that requires circular logic and biblical reasoning to reject actual science, like carbon dating and the stratification soil and fossil placement. Believing in YEC poo poo is definitely a red flag when you're talking about geologists.

RedMage129 posted:

Does it really matter whether people believe in evolution? I mean, intelligent design is stupid as gently caress, but it has no real world implications if people believe it. It's not like Climate Change where people's opinions can actually impact the world in some way through policy and societal habits.

Evolution is basically the foundation of modern biology, and the fact that there are a lot of people and a lot of money going around with the purpose of subverting the education of American children is definitely not a good thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
you shouldn't be allowed to make kids believe in gods until they are like, 15. Then they get to choose if they want religion

just like it should be with circumcision

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

best friend massage posted:

Young earth creationism is about more than evolution, it's about the formation of the earth and the whole universe from a biblical literalist perspective. Trying to prove that the world is only 6000 years old and that there was once a global flood that covered the entire earth's surface is a tricky proposition for a geologist.The problem with YEC is that it attempts to justify the whole 6000 year old earth thing with actual sciencey-sounding stuff that requires circular logic and biblical reasoning to reject actual science, like carbon dating and the stratification soil and fossil placement. Believing in YEC poo poo is definitely a red flag when you're talking about geologists.

Welcome to the modern world. Scientists don't need to know science, as long as they can be good workers and keep the black gold flowing. I mean what's a degree even for, college-tards?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Trying to prove that the world is only 6000 years old and that there was once a global flood that covered the entire earth's surface is a tricky proposition for a geologist.

I think you severely underestimate the amount of cognitive dissonance people can live with. you also assume that believing in something means trying to prove it constantly when in many cases people just accept something as true as a matter of faith, without trying to prove anything.

so it is in fact pretty possible for someone to be enough of a geologist to do site inspections for an environmental consulting company or analyze shale beds for an energy company and, at the same time, to believe that god created adam and eve 6000 years ago and everything in the bible is literally true. it would certainly be a "tricky proposition" for them to prove any of the latter but, since they don't have to, it doesn't matter.

maybe by "geologist" you are thinking of some academic who studies rocks and writes theses about their origin and formation but for a lot of people "geologist" is just a job they do for the oil company and not necessarily an indication of being part of any sort of scientific consensus re: the origin of earth

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 30, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Cowman posted:

I live in the south so I just assume that everyone i meet doesn't believe in evolution and is a goddamn moron

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Truly, my Southwestern heritage is holding me back from a proper grasp of the Queen's English!

Also, wtf is wrong with you Englishmen putting a woman in charge?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its incredible to me how religious you americans still are

you are so much like a third world country in so many ways

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010

Earwicker posted:

maybe by "geologist" you are thinking of some academic who studies rocks and writes theses about their origin and formation but for a lot of people "geologist" is just a job they do for the oil company and not necessarily an indication of being part of any sort of scientific consensus re: the origin of earth

Actually I was mostly thinking about it in the context of the previous poster whose geology teacher believed in young earth poo poo. From an academic perspective, that's pretty mind-boggling. There are tons of biologists/scientists in general who don't believe in evolution in America who just fake their way through their classes about it until they get their degree, but for the person who is supposed to be imparting facts and making sure everyone knows what is actually true to be into YEC, that's more cognitive dissonance than average in my experience.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Actually I was mostly thinking about it in the context of the previous poster whose geology teacher believed in young earth poo poo. From an academic perspective, that's pretty mind-boggling. There are tons of biologists/scientists in general who don't believe in evolution in America who just fake their way through their classes about it until they get their degree, but for the person who is supposed to be imparting facts and making sure everyone knows what is actually true to be into YEC, that's more cognitive dissonance than average in my experience.

from my experience in academia, that is precisely the expected amount of cognitive dissonance

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Actually I was mostly thinking about it in the context of the previous poster whose geology teacher believed in young earth poo poo. From an academic perspective, that's pretty mind-boggling. There are tons of biologists/scientists in general who don't believe in evolution in America who just fake their way through their classes about it until they get their degree, but for the person who is supposed to be imparting facts and making sure everyone knows what is actually true, that's more cognitive dissonance than average in my experience.

eh that was an adjunct and thus most likely one of the " tons of biologists/scientists in general who don't believe in evolution in America who just fake their way through their classes about it until they get their degree" but who then failed to get a job in the private sector afterwards

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Zzulu posted:

its incredible to me how religious you americans still are

you are so much like a third world country in so many ways

Our capitalist paradigm allows you people to be first world, so I would be thankful if I were you! :colbert:

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Skeleton Ape posted:

Nice, that was my favorite museum growing up in Chicago. What was your job there?

I was (and remain) in fundraising. We were responsible for about $30m per year.

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

EorayMel posted:

I went to a private Catholic school that taught both science and religion. The science part included some evolution, naturally.

When a student asked about the contradiction of the days of genesis vs fossil dating, the religion teacher said the concept of time and God are different from ours. Also my mind was blown when I asked a teacher if Egyptian gods existed and he said "no" and also made the class research a famous scientist and their works. I ended up with Charles Darwin. That probably played a major role in me having a week-long self-destructive extensional crisis over evolution vs creation several years down the line. I then got better and now I internally throw middle fingers at everybody I meet even more so than I did in the past.

That's all I can remember :shrug:

*stands up to applaud*

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I had a foreign relations professor who was a creationist, but I don't think the Earth's age came up. Also, I can't remember if he brought it up the topic or a student did, but he said, point blank, that he didn't believe abortion should be legal in any circumstance. I said something like "there are cases where doctors know that the mother and child won't survive the birth, you wouldn't be okay with it to save your wife?" He said he would just have to hope for a miracle.

He wasn't a very good educator, but he was fun to talk to and he had crazy stories. He was a very conservative Cuban American. Augusto Pinochet was a close acquaintance of his, and in his opinion, unjustly maligned.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I think you severely underestimate the amount of cognitive dissonance people can live with. you also assume that believing in something means trying to prove it constantly when in many cases people just accept something as true as a matter of faith, without trying to prove anything.

And likewise, I think a lot of the 'half of the US doesn't believe in evolution' probably falls along these line. Even if they did do the survey with a large sample size across the whole country, a lot of the people they asked had probably barely thought about the question in their lives.

Never underestimate how totally disinterested people can be in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

I had a doctor who was a creationist, he gave me the whole spiel when I had to get my appendix removed.

For someone reason he thought it was professional to waste my time, so he could tell me about how the appendix isn't a vestigial organ at all.

In retrospect, it is fairly terrifying to realize there are doctors like that out there.

• Locked thread