Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Profondo Rosso posted:

idk guys seems like theres a pretty convincing argument against evolution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPtjXFfczM

:fry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

The Bible posted:

I know a guy who believes in "Microevolution" but not "Macroevolution".

That is to say, he's an idiot.

this is about as sophisticated as they get, but it takes a decent education in genetics to explain why this is a false distinction

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Applewhite posted:

My sister-in-law's ex husband, OP. He was a Christian, not so much because of the deep and abiding faith he had in Jesus Christ and the Bible, but because he lacked any sort of critical faculties and would believe the first thing he was told unquestioningly.
In addition to not beliving in evolution, he also belived in chemtrails, the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, UFOs, Jackalopes, the illuminati, ghost hunters, chupacabras, mermaids (basically all cryptids and cryptid sightings), the cataclysm theory of geoformation, that dinosaurs and humans coexisted (and still coexist) and is an avid Trump supporter.

In the few times he came over before I stopped allowing him on my property, he tried to convince me that if dinosaurs still existed, it would disprove evolution, and that dinosaurs had been sighted in the jungles of Africa many times. He also tried to explain that 5000 years ago, Earth was surrouned by a much thicker layer of atmosphere that shielded us from the harmful effects of the sun and thus allowed much longer lifespans, and that the Biblical flood was the atmosphere condensing into the oceans (which did not previously exist). He offered me a steak dinner if I would come with him to the Creation museum and I told him that he could shove it.

sounds like quite an interesting character can't believe you turned down a steak dinner and a trip to a creation museum. also jackalopes and chupacabras are real

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Strategic Tea posted:

The idea of someone not believing in evolution, like as an actual person you could meet in the street, is just weird to me

wasn't there a poll that said like 40% of Americans deny evolution?

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

EorayMel posted:

I went to a private Catholic school that taught both science and religion. The science part included some evolution, naturally.

When a student asked about the contradiction of the days of genesis vs fossil dating, the religion teacher said the concept of time and God are different from ours. Also my mind was blown when I asked a teacher if Egyptian gods existed and he said "no" and also made the class research a famous scientist and their works. I ended up with Charles Darwin. That probably played a major role in me having a week-long self-destructive extensional crisis over evolution vs creation several years down the line. I then got better and now I internally throw middle fingers at everybody I meet even more so than I did in the past.

That's all I can remember :shrug:

*stands up to applaud*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
If my grandfather was a monkey how did he fall out of his guard tower??

• Locked thread