Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Using almond/cashew milk from the carton in place of coconut milk is like using low fat milk in a recipe that calls for heavy cream. If you can't taste the difference, that's on you, but it's not going to be as rich, and the amounts are going to be screwy. Get the guar gum stabilised poo poo for now, because the Chaokoh is so pricey. Spring for the good stuff when you have the money for it, and you'll notice a marked difference. For now, however, using the cheaper stuff will help you during your experimental phase. Once you've satisfied yourself with your recipe, go full sperg, and get the Chaokoh.

If you want a VAGUE ersatz coconut milk substitute, you can grind a handful of peeled almonds along with unsweetened almond milk, until it makes a thick, creamy puree, and then use that in its place. Cashews work for the same situation. However, at that point, the cost of the nuts will outdo the cost of the coconut milk, and you might as well just buy the coconut milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Crosspostin

MrSlam posted:

Screw plating! Screw presentation! Here's a big ol dutch oven (half) full of Curry Stand Tikka Masala

I don't feel right using store-bought curry powder so I made my own with Chow Hound's "Traditional" British Curry Powder

Turned out pretty good. Could've used a bit more salt. Plus I used actual ginger instead of ground ginger which I think would've given it more kick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I made the curry with the guar-stabilized milk. It had still separated, so I got to use all of that cream to fry up the paste nicely. I had it for dinner last night, brunch, late lunch, and dinner today. Tomorrow I'm having it again at work, my wife is having it for lunch, we're probably having it for dinner, and then we'll still probably have enough for another day. All this out of a $15 recipe, plus however much all of the rice we're making is. I'd probably make some potato soup tomorrow night just to shake things up if I actually liked cooking.

The curry paste really is amazing. It makes everything taste way better than powder, while being a little cheaper. I was kind of surprised that the recipe called for sugar, but it actually works.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Y-Hat posted:

I'm moving to a neighborhood with a large Bangladeshi population, and there are a couple of South Asian grocers as a result, so I might as well get started on some recipes to make. Are there any good YouTube channels focused on Indian food? I'm already subscribed to Nisha Madhulika but it always helps to have more.

the undisputed master of Indian food is Sanjeev Kapoor, who has a brand called Khana Khazana. Think of him as India's Emmerill (the guy who goes BAM! on American cooking shows, I forget his name), except he has tons of skill and cooking credibility (I've heard the Emerill guy is actually an average chef as far as famous chefs go)

I think he has youtubes, he has his own shows on Indian televisions. His butter chicken recipe is the best you can find. My mom (I'm Indian) uses his recipe instead of my grandmas lol

edit: I just checked and he has tons of videos on Youtube, just search for his name or Khana Khazana (his name is pretty common)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqP43npDnQ

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yep, although I did forget the show is in Hindi...I bet there are subtitles out there

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The ingredients are displayed in English, and it's surprisingly easy to understand given the English words thrown in. I'm curious about the counter-top oven thing he is putting the chicken in though.

Also, I love how much butter and cream goes into the gravy.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It's some sort of modern stovetop Tandoor oven

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey, I'm poor and was looking to try something new that's also fairly cheap. What are some good curry recipes for someone who's experienced with cooking western dishes, but has never tried making indian food?

Also, this is embarrassing to admit, but certain hot things (e.g. tobasco sauce, cayenne pepper, sriracha) cause me to get the hiccups. With that in mind, would I be fine with a hot curry?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 1, 2016

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mikedawson posted:

Also, this is embarrassing to admit, but certain hot things (e.g. tobasco sauce, cayenne pepper, sriracha) cause me to get the hiccups. With that in mind, would I be fine with a hot curry?

You're going to be hard pressed to find a hot curry that doesn't rely on hot chiles similar to the ones that make up those sauces and powders

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mikedawson posted:

Hey, I'm poor and was looking to try something new that's also fairly cheap. What are some good curry recipes for someone who's experienced with cooking western dishes, but has never tried making indian food?

I wish I had something to share with ya but it's just a chicken Tikka Masala recipe. It's one of two ways that I know how to make it and that is all the Indian food I know how to cook so far. But I'm learning!

But food's food so the only major differences I've osmosis'd between western and Indian cooking is that there's a lot more spices (grind your own spices when you can and toast them as you're making it if you can) involved in Indian cooking and a lot more yogurt and clarified butter (ghee). The biggest problem I think you'd run into is getting spices cheap. A lot of the recipes I see call for Garam Masala which is a spice blend and is usually $5-6 where I shop. As far as hotness is concerned, I always substitute cayenne for non-hot paprika since everyone in my household hates spicy things. You can replace tobasco sauce with vinegar (mixed with paprika?) and sriracha with any sweet chili sauce that you can find in the Asian section of the grocery store.

As far as recipes to look up, I'd recommend Naan bread, tandoori (cooked with your oven broiler or a grill), Murg Mahkni (butter chicken), vindaloo, pakora (stuff fried in chickpea flour), and tikka masala.

Also an easy way to get clarified butter is to microwave the butter and skim out the solids. But I haven't been clarifying my butter lately cause I'm a lazy fat rear end in a top hat.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 2, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
This is probably blasphemy, but here goes. Made a chicken tikka masala tonight using a simmer sauce in from a bottle I bought a while back at Aldi. It was really good... and as an easy meal I'd do it again.

That being said, I'm going back through this thread and looking at how to make a proper one so I can make larger batches for the week.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I don't think there's a better thread for this right now, so here goes:

What's the secret to great chicken satay? (Like the kind you might order in a Thai restaurant)

I tried this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/90294/thai-chicken-satay/ as it was the highest-rated I could find. I added some lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil (very little), and chile oil as a commenter had suggested. I noticed the curry powder (Spice Islands brand) had a difficult time integrating into the coconut milk. Even when I blended it, there was still a good deal of sediment at the bottom when I poured it over the chicken.

I marinated the chicken for a good three hours (even though the recipe suggested 2 hours max). Does something funky happen with coconut milk-based marinades if you leave it too long?

I skipped the skewers and cooked the strips on a hot (skipping water droplets) griddle for about 3-5 minutes per side. There was some color and grill marks, but nothing beautiful. The color was very disappointing - not the vibrant yellow you expect in satay. Just a mildly yellow beige. Is it possible that without the high heat of a true grill, the color and flavor just don't develop properly?

I didn't tell my family what it was and just served it to them with a peanut sauce and steamed vegetables. They thought it was great, but I know it was a far cry from chicken satay.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the procedure?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The best thing you can do is ditch the curry powder, and mix your own curry spices. Turmeric is the spice that will give satay a good color, and it's the primary ingredient in most curries.

I haven't tried this particular recipe, but this looks like a fair one.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's another San Mateo Indian cooking class meetup in late September, this time it sounds like regular Indian basics not breakfast.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I made this recipe as chicken makhani, and I gotta say that it came out a tad bland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVjAMTh8hOE

I do have a lot of dried Thai red chili peppers, that should add some kick to it.

greats
Sep 29, 2016
hey all, i've been cooking indian styled curries for around a year and i just thought i'd drop off some links that have been helpful to me

good explanation of tempering:
http://www.rasam.ie/how-to-temper-spices/
just note that they don't mention specifics like the difference in tempering time between a cardamom and a cumin seed for example. Or on a larger extreme, a cinnamon stick and a powdered spice. Just in general a more delicate spice must be tempered in less time. you can research this beforehand, or experiment based on common sense and toss out mistakes.

excellent source of recipes (only vegetarian, but they've also got very basic things like how to properly make roti/chapati/pulkha, or basmati rice)
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/

another recipe source which looks just as good, but i haven't really gotten started on yet (i'm gonna make the black whole urad dal soon)
http://www.northindiancooking.com/

bahvna's kitchen seems to have endless practical and easy recipes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCM4vLyVm4MPhS3o5o729Udg

vah chef is a great source of recipes, his recipes are often either on the extravagant side or take their own creative route
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?vahchef

i like hissing cooker for quickly showing how a dish is made in video format, they also do many dishes from around the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCSHrn5HWEL71EJyr46HPmJg

outdoor indian cooking, this is less interesting unless you're the type to go grilling and you've got a clay pot lying around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCKEPJo5eTHbKDgHxvUSR9Jw

greats fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 5, 2016

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

I made curry tonight. Nice and spicy the way I love it. I can post my general recipe if anyone's interested.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zeratanis posted:

I made curry tonight. Nice and spicy the way I love it. I can post my general recipe if anyone's interested.

:justpost:

I'm going to start getting my curry on again soon now that I'm settled into my new place and my BBQ season is more or less over.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to start getting my curry on again soon now that I'm settled into my new place and my BBQ season is more or less over.

Made a Lamb sagwalla with the probably screligious but entirely delicius addition of aubergines last night.

Going to be eating this for a week.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Actually, here's one for the thread:

Curry is often complex and involved, but does anyone have any kind of curry recipe that's relatively simple for those "oh gently caress it's 9pm and I need to eat and I'm tired and I just want to make something that takes a few minutes and will give me leftovers for lunch tomorrow" moments? Perhaps we can qualify it as any curry which has approximately the same cooking time as a pot of rice.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 7, 2016

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CommonShore posted:

Curry is often complex and involved, but does anyone have any kind of curry recipe that's relatively simple for those "oh gently caress it's 9pm and I need to eat and I'm tired and I just want to make something that takes a few minutes and will give me leftovers for lunch tomorrow" moments? Perhaps we can qualify it as any curry which has approximately the same cooking time as a pot of rice.
If you have a pressure cooker you can do any curry super fast. Just pressure cool the lentils/beans until they are done, and meanwhile heat up oil, fry your spices, and then add them to the lentils/beans. ~15-20 minutes from start to finish.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

For curry like in the picture I posted above prepare:

1 medium onion, chopped finely.
1 decent sized tin of tomato puree(you could use fresh or more chunky tins, but they're a pain to work with in my experience and I don't like hunks of tomato)
1 knob of ginger about the size of a man's 2 large fingers pushed together, pounded into a paste.
4 cloves of garlic, or enough to match the knob of ginger, also pounded into a paste with the ginger together.
1 tin coconut milk
1 container of whatever chicken stock you can find. I had homemade but store stuff works.
6 nice looking Habanero peppers, minced up.
Few chicken breast. Thighs work wonderfully too. Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes, give or take a tiny bit.
Optional: Peel 3 potatoes. cut into same size as chicken.

Spices:
1 stick cinnamon
3 green cardamom seeds.
4-5 whole cloves.
Pinch of mustard seeds.
1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
2 Tbsp ground coriander powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
2 Tbsp hot chili powder. I only had cayenne on hand but anything works long as it has heat. I prefer ground ghost chili personally.
1 Tbsp hot pepper flakes.
Salt to taste

Get oil nice and hot in the pan and add the whole spices, stir for a few moments, then add the onions till they start to look a bit chocolately on the edges. Add the ginger garlic paste and peppers and fry off the raw flavor. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes since I just go off smell/feel, but maybe 4 minutes if you're cooking on a medium flame? Add all the ground spices at once and constant mix to prevent burning, also adding splashes of chicken stock to keep it a little wet. After the spices are fried, add the tin of tomatoes and mix it thoroughly and let them cook, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. After tomatoes are ready(if you use diced, you want them to have basically broken down into a sauce), toss in the chicken(and potato if using), mix very thoroughly, cover, and let simmer until chicken(and potato if using) are almost cooked. Might be odd to some to toss chicken in raw, but I've had no issues with it. Anyways, when just about done, add some chicken stock to give some liquid, get it back up to a simmer, add the can of coconut milk, stir in, and let it simmer for another few minutes, adjust for seasoning(or more spice), add coriander leaves if you desire, and serve with basmati rice, or if you're a schmuck like me, Penne pasta.

This is meant to be a spicy curry if you couldn't tell. :) A good way to warm up on a fall night.

greats
Sep 29, 2016

Zeratanis posted:

Add all the ground spices at once and constant mix to prevent burning, also adding splashes of chicken stock to keep it a little wet. After the spices are fried, add the tin of tomatoes and mix it thoroughly and let them cook, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

my recommendation is to wait until after you've completed the onion / tomato masala to your liking before adding powdered spices. this way you don't need to worry about burning them, and you have nothing to gain from adding powdered spices to a curry so early on anyway. There's still plenty of decisions to be made about adding powdered spices after the onion / tomato masala is cooked though. the 2 most usual ways to add powdered spices are as follows

1) once your meat is "fully cooked", you'll reach the point you want to reduce heat and begin simmering, so the meat can absorb the flavors. Most powdered spices you will add at this point. Reduced heat means they won't burn, and you'll get maximum contact with your main ingredient (outside of a marinade). Your typical spices such as tumeric, red chili powder, and cumin will go in here.
2) after simmering has completed, you can also add spices at the very end. this is common for more "delicate" spices that lose flavor as they cook. I'm not an expert on this subject, but usually things such as garam masala and mango powder go in here

also that curry looks more like soup to me... if i'm having curry with meat i can't have it in such an overwhelming amount of sauce, plus too much tomatoes will ruin the flavor

greats
Sep 29, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you have a pressure cooker you can do any curry super fast. Just pressure cool the lentils/beans until they are done, and meanwhile heat up oil, fry your spices, and then add them to the lentils/beans. ~15-20 minutes from start to finish.

i believe you just described a dal which is not referred to as curry (though they do share many of the same techniques)

but just for this reason, there is indeed pressure cooker curry recipes. i recommend starting from a recipe, since pressure cooking is not very easy to freestyle unless you're very comfortable with it already

i've yet to delve into pressure cooking curry, but it is def a thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAq4KRIVs4

this is a lamb based curry so it will take longer, but if you look for a chicken based curry recipe using a pressure cooker, you should be able to do it fast

I personally find that in order to properly cook a chicken based curry, i need 30 minutes of cook time. For me i don't think this is very inconvenient since i've got many points at which i can walk away for a bit. BUT if you want something genuinely fast, it's either pressure cooking, or you look at a different type of dish.

greats fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 9, 2016

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

greats posted:

also that curry looks more like soup to me... if i'm having curry with meat i can't have it in such an overwhelming amount of sauce, plus too much tomatoes will ruin the flavor

That batch was decently thicker than the picture lets on, bout the same consistency you'd get at any restaurant, though sometimes it's thinner(and a lot of videos I see tend to look really thin). Liquid there was like, equal parts chicken stock, tomatoes and coconut milk.

I'll definitely try doing the powdered stuff towards in the middle/end though. Most of what I learned was from either people like VahChef or just touch n going between batches. :v:

greats
Sep 29, 2016

Zeratanis posted:

That batch was decently thicker than the picture lets on, bout the same consistency you'd get at any restaurant, though sometimes it's thinner(and a lot of videos I see tend to look really thin). Liquid there was like, equal parts chicken stock, tomatoes and coconut milk.

I'll definitely try doing the powdered stuff towards in the middle/end though. Most of what I learned was from either people like VahChef or just touch n going between batches. :v:

actually I don't really mind if a curry is thin or thick, it depends on what you're making (my mushroom peas curry usually is not a thick consistency and I love it that way)

I just mean the quantity of sauce, could be the picture but it looks like there's a lot of sauce... I made it this way once to feed more people and I felt the flavor was too diluted (they were happy with it though lol)

could just be the picture though. personally I like to shoot for roughly even quantities of sauce and meat / veggies, unless I'm in the mood for a thicker sauce, then I can cook uncovered the whole time and end up with something more like this http://www.recipesfab.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/chicken-jalfrezi-recipe-by-shireen-anwar.jpg

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

For that timeframe (sub 30 minutes) you're looking at premade curry sauce packets or jars (or just frozen entrees, really); the ones from either Sharwood's or Kitchens of India are the most common I've seen. Having had both KoI's are better.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 9, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

edit: nevermind

greats
Sep 29, 2016
i wish to help people make good curry, so here is some step-by-step pictures of me making some extra basic chicken jalfrezi, with descriptions about why i'm doing things, rather than exact measurements.

In this curry I decided not to use any whole spices. If you have whole spices and you want to use them, i recommend 5-8 cloves, 2 black cardamoms, and a star anise. Then you can reduce the amount of garam masala at the end. I would usually do something along these lines for this curry.

The first thing to do is to get your meat marinated. Marinating with this many spices is not that common in most traditional Indian curry making. However, chicken jalfrezi is a dish from Pakistan, and it has Chinese influence. So for whatever reason, it's done this way. Personally i find this to be incredibly practical, and I implement it to some degree in most of my curries.

I used 4 chicken thighs, cut into small cubes. Larger and harder pieces of fat i have trimmed. Smaller and softer pieces are fine.

Pictured:
~1 tsp salt
~1 tsp red chili powder
~1 tsp tumeric
~1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 heaping spoonful of ghee (sold in the Mediterranean section in supermarkets, and of course in Indian markets)
just enough water to get all the spices dissolved and sticking to the meat. do NOT add so much that it creates liquid at the bottom of the bowl

Not pictured:
I added the minced habenaros once I got to that.

Ok the habenaros are in this one :) the marinade should look thick like this

I chose to serve this with rice this time. If you're going to cook rice, you should start soaking it now, before you prep all the veggies. I like to add some star anise or cardamoms, chili oil, and salt. All optional of course :) It is basmati rice, which is of course recommended for curry. It's light and airy, and absorbs sauce easily.

Also if you are cooking rice i hope you know to wash it! You should always wash rice, at least twice. I've met so many people that don't do this, blows my mind.

K, now that your meat is marinating, and your rice is soaking, you can take your time and properly prepare your veggies.
Basic curry ingredients:
4 cloves of garlic, minced
~1.5" of ginger, finely minced
1 onion, minced
1 tomato, diced

ingredients for chicken jalfrezi:
2 serranos, cut into thin wheels.
1 non-green bell pepper. I cut them into wide strips, then into thirds.
1 more onion (not pictured), to be added along with the other veg. I cut them into petals.

for the marinade:
2 habenaros (I minced these first and mixed them into the chicken, i don't want large pieces of habenaro to be not fully cooked in my curry)

That wasn't too hard, now everything is ready for cooking. I'll be adding the ingredients from left to right.

To start, heat the pan (for my stovetop and pan, i heat it up on a perfect medium, and leave it that way until way later, on my older one i needed to go hotter).

Once it's hot, add the oil. (if you're using a carbon steel wok, or cast iron pan, wait for the smoke. same as always)
Make sure you coat the bottom of the pan with enough oil to make a layer.

For any type of curry you need oil with a high smoke point. For this type, I'm going to recommend something flavor neutral. Canola oil or sunflower oil is best. Regular vegetable (soybean) oil is fine, but is less neutral. This is a wok so it's already seasoned with vegetable oil anyway. If you were to use whole spices for tempering, you would do that now, I'm not getting into that in this post.

I used to make curry without a wok, using a flat bottom pan. It's still possible if you don't want to temper too many spices, and completely possible with this recipe. Just use your spatula or wooden spoon to manually keep everything in the middle for these early steps. For more complex recipes requiring many spices to be tempered, i used to temper them in a sauce pan, then transfer to a sautee pan. It worked beautifully, it just took more time and effort.

Add the ginger and garlic. You will know when it's done because it will become very fragrant (i hope you used fresh ingredients!). It's fine if the garlic becomes a little browned like this, but do not burn it. Stir a bit if you need to, to avoid burning.

Once that's done, immediately add the minced onion, and stir it in. With the onions reducing the heat of the pan, and also adding a buffer between your aromatics and the pan, they should not burn.

Cook the onions until they are all translucent, and have begun to brown nicely. Just like with the above, stir occasionally to help them cook evenly and not burn.

Now that onions are done, add the diced tomato. It will easily turn to sauce, and i like to speed up this process by mashing it with the back of my turner. Same as the above, stir occasionally.

In this picture i cooked the tomato until i was happy with the sauce. You can actually continue to cook it until it turns brown just like with the onions, it will give you great flavor, and a beautiful thick sauce. I was just being impatient.

Once you're happy with the tomatoes, it's time to add the chicken along with all the marinade. Mix it together fully, then try to avoid playing with it too much. You will need to turn and stir occasionally to avoid burning and get even cooking, but if you used a heap of ghee as i recommended, this will be an easy task.

At this time, you should also start to boil your rice if you're making it. Cooking the meat, and the simmering that comes after makes up the majority of the cook time.

Ok meat is done. You want it to be kind of on the border of just fully cooked, and not quite fully cooked. Err on the side of fully cooked. You only need to be super careful about overcooking if you're using chicken breasts, as they will quickly reach the amount of stewed-ness you want, without giving you time to cook your sauce, if you're not careful.

Now we need to prepare for simmering. Simmering is a key step in making any meat based curry, as it will give the meat time to absorb all the goodness. In this case the meat is already marinated, but we want to absorb even more :)

At the same time, we need to finish up the sauce, this is a 2-in-1 step.

Actually at the same time, we're also going to cook the vegetables, so it's a 3-in-1. Onions and peppers are pretty easy cooking, so i think this is the easiest way to make jalfrezi. Traditionally they would be stir-fried separately and added in a little later. I am just trying to make life easier.

At this time what actually needs to be done is the following:
1) stir in the veggies
2) taste test for salt and garam masala. At this point i decided to add some more salt, and ~1-2 tsp of GM (not measured, i just poured it from a shaker, see picture). I just taste tested by grabbing some of the sauce from my wok turner, for the final taste test you can grab a piece of meat. It's up to you, and how comfortable you are with it.
3) give it a stir

Simmering is easy. Reduce the heat to a low to medium temperature, and cover it up. I don't have a perscribed amount of simmering time but in total it will probably take at least 10 minutes, I usually check up every 5 minutes or so, since i'm doing other things and not watching the time.

Around this time my rice finished. I strained it into the sink, then put it back into the pot covered up like this. This way it will stay moist, but it also won't become soggy while you finish cooking. (i am pretty picky about over / under cooked rice)

Checked up around 5 minutes later. Onions look too raw still, gave it a stir and put the lid back on.

Around another 5 minutes later... This looks much better :)
I gave it a final taste test, and decided it needed a bit more salt, and some heavy cream.

Done :) You don't need to continue cooking after adding the cream.

Even though I didn't use any whole spices in making this, I'm still perfectly happy with the flavor. This is a very spicy and savory dish the way it came out this time. The floral notes are in the back. Using either whole spices, or more quantity of garam masala, would up the floral aspect of this curry. I do not recommend cumin for jalfrezi personally, though.

I don't know if you guys have cooked with habenaros before but they pack a real punch. This is actually quite spicy, around the level or maybe slightly more than whatever the hottest level is at most Thai restaurants. Only use one if you want a more normal level of spiciness, and fill the gaps with more red chili powder for something in-between.

I made this partially because i loving love curry, and chicken jalfrezi. But also because I want to show you guys curry isn't all about sauce. I also want to show off one of my own recipes that i think is fairly easy and practical, considering how delicious it is :)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:yum:

I loves me some effortposts. I have literally everything needed to make that, so i might try slamming that together this week.

I made a low-effort tiki masala-style chicken thigh curry yesterday. It didn't end up that great, so I'm not going to post too much about it - but I'm back on the curry train. I see a baked chicken and vegetable biryiani in my near future as well.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I went to an Indian cooking class last week and we made some delicious veggie dishes. We also made up our own garam masala, which was fun - we did it after tasting the whole spices and using that knowledge to build a flavour profile, which I thought was a really good way to demonstrate exactly what the individual spices bring to a dish. We also made paneer, which I had heard was easy but my god I didn't realise it was that easy!

I have recipes for muttar paneer, okra in kadhi (a sauce based on chickpea flour), potatoes and methi and stuffed aubergines. Would anyone be interested in me posting these? I'd never had fresh methi before and it's an interesting thing, a bit like lamb's lettuce but more peppery. The aubergines were stuffed with a ground peanut and coconut thing that was really tasty and that I'd never come across before either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bollock Monkey posted:

I went to an Indian cooking class last week and we made some delicious veggie dishes. We also made up our own garam masala, which was fun - we did it after tasting the whole spices and using that knowledge to build a flavour profile, which I thought was a really good way to demonstrate exactly what the individual spices bring to a dish. We also made paneer, which I had heard was easy but my god I didn't realise it was that easy!

I have recipes for muttar paneer, okra in kadhi (a sauce based on chickpea flour), potatoes and methi and stuffed aubergines. Would anyone be interested in me posting these? I'd never had fresh methi before and it's an interesting thing, a bit like lamb's lettuce but more peppery. The aubergines were stuffed with a ground peanut and coconut thing that was really tasty and that I'd never come across before either.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Homemade butter paneer is the most amazing thing ever and is one of the very few things that is worth the effort to deep fry instead of pan fry.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Something else I found interesting is that these all involve a lot of fresh coriander, and usually I am very sensitive to that. It didn't bother me in any of these dishes, however, making me think that something much change when it's cooked.

Spice Monkey Chili Paste - this is good because chillies can vary wildly in their heat, and this way you control the heat using the amount of paste rather than relying on x number of chillies.

Purée some green chillies.

Heat a few tablespooons of oil until mustard seeds pop and crackle in it.

Drop in some cumin seeds and turn the heat down. Let them crackle for a little bit.

Pour the oil over the puréed chillis and add salt to taste.

Muttar Paneer

Paneer
Paneer is a very simple form of cheese made by acidifying milk. It’s a simple way of preserving milk and forms the basis of savoury and sweet dishes.

To make about 500g, bring 3 litres of full fat milk to the boil. Reduce the heat to very low and cool for 2-3 minutes. Pour in freshly squeezed lemon juice a tablespoon at a time. Stir continuously. After just a few seconds curds and whey will form. Strain through a cloth and hang for an hour. The cheese will be firm and ready to cook with, and you can use the whey to boil rice or make kadhi with.

Muttar Paneer

This Indian restaurant favourite is a classic Northern Indian dish

Serves 4-6

Olive or sunflower oil for shallow frying

500g paneer, cut into 2cm chunks

3 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 teaspoon grated or crushed garlic

1 teaspoon grated fresh, peeled ginger

1-2 teaspoons Spice Monkey Chili Paste

1 ¼ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon tomato puree

1 teaspoon garam masala

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaf

250g frozen peas

Garnish - 2 tablespoons coriander leaves

Place a large pan for shallow frying on a medium heat. When hot, add the paneer in batches. Move them around with a slotted spoon to make sure the chunks do not stick together. Fry until a reddish gold all over. Remove and drain on kitchen towel.

Take a medium sized pot and heat the 3 tablespoons of oil. When hot add the onions.

Stir and fry for about 5 minutes until they start to turn translucent. Add the cumin seeds and continue to cook for 2 minutes until golden and soft.

Add the garlic, ginger and chilies. Stir and reduce the heat. Mix well for 5 minutes. Add a splash of boiling water if the ingredients stick.

Spoon in the tomato puree, stir and then add the salt. Stir and then remove from the heat. When cool blend to a fine paste.

Return the paste to the pot and add the garam masala, fenugreek leaves and turmeric powder. Stir for 2 minutes combining them into the paste. Pour in 300ml cool water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 4 minutes.

Tip in the paneer chunks and mix well into the sauce. Add the peas and cook for a further 2 minutes and then garnish before serving.

Okra in Tangy Curd Sauce (Kadhi).

Gram flour (chick pea flour) is a stock item in the Indian kitchen and very versatile too. Kadhi is a dish made of yoghurt and chickpea flour very popular in Maharashtra. Lightly spiced, it can be drunk like a soup or savoury drink or, as in this case, made into a sauce for a vegetable dish.

Kadhi
Mix gram flour and yoghurt until it reaches your desired consistency. For this recipe it should be a little thicker than double cream/like thin yoghurt.

Serves 4

5 tablespoons vegetable oil

Pinch asafoetida

½ teaspoon mustard seeds

2-4 green chillies, sliced and deseeded

6 curry leaves – ripped

1 tablespoon garlic and ginger paste

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon coriander powder

½ teaspoon cumin powder

400g fresh whole okra – tops cut off and slit lengthways

400g of plain yogurt with 2 tablespoon of gram flour whipped into it.

Salt/sugar to taste

½ teaspoon garam masala

40g fresh coriander, leaves and stems roughly chopped

Heat the oil in a saucepan/wok on a medium heat. When hot add the asafoetida, then pop the mustard seeds in the oil.

Drop in the chillies and blister their skins in the hot oil. Add the curry leaves and mix well.

Spoon in the garlic/ginger and stir and fry until the pungent smell of garlic has disappeared. Add the powdered spices and mix together.

Tip in the okra slices and mix well. Cooked covered until they have wilted, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and pour in the kadhi mix. Mix well. Rinse out the yoghurt pot/mixture bowl with 200ml water and add that.

Bring the pan to a simmer, mix in the garam masala then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Taste. Add a little sugar if the sauce is very tangy. Check for salt and chilli heat then mix in the coriander and serve.

Potato and Methi

Methi or fenugreek is a very popular loved herb and spice in Indian cooking. It is believed to be a flavour enhancer as well as having numerous health benefits. The leaves of this plant are used fresh and dry (Kasoori Methi) as are its seeds.

Serves 4

80 ml oil

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 tablespoon coriander powder

1 tablespoon green chilli paste - more if needed!

½ -1 teaspoon salt

600g potatoes, skin on, washed and chopped into bite size pieces

1 bunch fenugreek (~150g) - wash and use leaves only (or use pea shoots.)

2 tablespoons kasoori methi

Garnish - small handful of leaves and stem, roughly chopped

Heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and pop. Spoon in the cumin seeds and brown for a few seconds.

Add the garlic/ginger paste and cook until the sting of garlic has gone.

Add the chilli paste, turmeric and coriander powders, and salt and mix well.

Pour in the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Cover and cook on a low heat for up to 15 minutes until potatoes are ¾ cooked, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook for a few minutes until potatoes are practically done.

Fold in the fresh fenugreek leaves and sprinkle over with the dried. Mix well and check for seasoning before serving.

Garnish with the fresh coriander.

Stuffed Aubergines

Stuffed vegetables are a typical characteristic of Indian cooking and aubergines are a particular favourite. There are many varieties – purple, striped, white and even green. Buy aubergines that are about 3 inches long by 2 inches in diameter (8cm x 5cm).

Serves 4

4 tablespoons sunflower oil

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

8 aubergines, cross-cut lengthways from bulbous top to 2cm short of the stem

100ml warm water

For the stuffing

120g fresh, grated coconut (or use desiccated)

60g coriander, finely chopped

2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste

1 teaspoons garam masala

1-2 teaspoons hot chili powder

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

3 tablespoons peanut - roasted and ground to a coarse powder

3 tablespoons coriander powder - roasted in a wok until a few shades darker

½ teaspoon sugar

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon/2 medium tomatoes chopped and puréed

Mix all the ingredients for the stuffing together well. It should feel sticky. Taste and adjust for seasoning, heat and spice, remembering the mixture has to permeate the inside of the aubergine. Pack this mixture into the slits in the aubergines, squeezing them tight to lock the mixture in.

Set a wok or large non-stick pan on a medium heat. Spoon in the mustard seeds and allow to sizzle and pop.

Arrange the aubergines in the pan and sprinkle over any remaining stuffing.

Cover and reduce the heat to a low medium. Cook for 10 minutes carefully turning to ensure each side is cooked and then pour in the water. Swirl the pan gently to the mix the water into any stuffing sticking to the base of the pan to crate a gravy.

Continue to rotate and cook covered until soft.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: nm

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 12, 2016

greats
Sep 29, 2016
tonight i made pressure cooker lamb curry based on vahchef's video recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAq4KRIVs4

i own this pressure cooker, here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Z6JIW

today i learned that western pressure cookers have a different timing method than indian pressure cookers.

Indian pressure cookers have a whistle that goes off to indicate the pressure is at the desired level. Indian recipes will usually prescribe a number of whistles to let you know how long you should cook for.

Western pressure cookers do not have a whistle. Instead of whistling, there's a spring loaded stopper that will pop up once you reach pressure. You can also see that you've reached a higher level of pressure once the steam release gauge begins to release a constant stream of steam. If i want to cook under a lower pressure i reduce heat immediately after the stopper comes up, for high heat i wait for the stream of steam first.

The general consensus i found online is that there is no consistent conversion you can use to go from whistles -> time under pressure. Reason being is that indian pressure cookers will whistle different amounts, so depending on who you ask, you would get a different answer anyway. The best advice seems to be lowball the estimated time, and re-apply pressure as needed (the first time).

I wound up needing to cook for 10 minutes, then 5, then 5 more. All under high pressure. A total of 20 minutes under high pressure.

This is my first time using my pressure cooker for an indian recipe and my estimation was for 8 minutes and it was way too low. Anyone else familiar with this stuff? taking like 20 extra minutes to constantly re-apply pressure every time you make a new pressure cooker recipe is worth it in the long run, but still a hassle.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

greats posted:

tonight i made pressure cooker lamb curry based on vahchef's video recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAq4KRIVs4

i own this pressure cooker, here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000Z6JIW

today i learned that western pressure cookers have a different timing method than indian pressure cookers.

Indian pressure cookers have a whistle that goes off to indicate the pressure is at the desired level. Indian recipes will usually prescribe a number of whistles to let you know how long you should cook for.

Western pressure cookers do not have a whistle. Instead of whistling, there's a spring loaded stopper that will pop up once you reach pressure. You can also see that you've reached a higher level of pressure once the steam release gauge begins to release a constant stream of steam. If i want to cook under a lower pressure i reduce heat immediately after the stopper comes up, for high heat i wait for the stream of steam first.

The general consensus i found online is that there is no consistent conversion you can use to go from whistles -> time under pressure. Reason being is that indian pressure cookers will whistle different amounts, so depending on who you ask, you would get a different answer anyway. The best advice seems to be lowball the estimated time, and re-apply pressure as needed (the first time).

I wound up needing to cook for 10 minutes, then 5, then 5 more. All under high pressure. A total of 20 minutes under high pressure.

This is my first time using my pressure cooker for an indian recipe and my estimation was for 8 minutes and it was way too low. Anyone else familiar with this stuff? taking like 20 extra minutes to constantly re-apply pressure every time you make a new pressure cooker recipe is worth it in the long run, but still a hassle.

Over time and with experience you'll gain an idea of what sort of result you get from what time, and what ingredients need to cook for how long. There's no straight conversion, but as long as you enjoy the results, don't worry too much about it.

greats
Sep 29, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Over time and with experience you'll gain an idea of what sort of result you get from what time, and what ingredients need to cook for how long. There's no straight conversion, but as long as you enjoy the results, don't worry too much about it.

well it doesn't solve the problem but it's good encouragement nonetheless, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This page and others like it are good references for cooking most things - use it to help you eyeball some cooking times and that'll cut down on the guesswork a bit when trying to go from "X whistles" to some measurement of time that actually works (I just ignore the whistle time measurements in recipes).