Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Solid Snake: This reminds me of when we first met.

Otacon: I was the one inside the locker that time. We're equal now, huh?

Solid Snake: Not unless I wet my pants.

Otacon: That's a low blow, Snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Pablo Gigante posted:

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

im really glad i played these games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

Watching my friend start a new game the other day they make it extremely obvious even if you haven't played it before but it's not something you would even be thinking about the first time playing

I figured it out in half an hour.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

I figured it out in half an hour.

I figured it out weeks before the game came out due to clicking a spoiler tag online.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

rediscover posted:

I figured it out weeks before the game came out due to clicking a spoiler tag online.

Same.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played mgs1 after mgs2 and 3 and it was really cool getting all the references in reverse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's kind of obvious and not really framed as some kind of massive twist tbh but so much of mgsv's pacing is hosed up that it's hard to really tell

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Never be game over.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I found out when some guys were talking about how the GZ medic has the same voice actor and base head and face structure as Big Boss.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

i played mgs1 after mgs2 and 3 and it was really cool getting all the references in reverse

i played mgs1 when it came out and all the refs to the originals and people like big boss were completely lost on me which was cool

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i didnt even know there were other games in the series until years later

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

i didnt even know there were other games in the series until years later

MGS1 was the first major western release for the series, rly so i think a lot of ppl were on the same boat unless you were a dork importing jp games in the 90s

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pablo Gigante posted:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
metal gear solid may be the most powerful thing I've ever experienced

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

elf help book posted:

Agreed

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
4 is the only one I never played to the end, I just couldn't bond with it. 5 has rekindled my love for these games so it could be time to give it another go.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FWIW MGS4 did get pretty good in the last two chapters but the ending cutscene/postcredits are kind of ridiculous.

I think the most damaging thing I can remember about 4 is that I don't really have any like, gameplay memories of it. Even the bosses. MGS1, I'll never forget poo poo like the the sniper fight, or the giant storage room with the nine storage lockers in it, MGS2 I always think of stuff like sneaking past all the soldiers in the tanker hold, defusing the bombs, etc. MGS3 had so much poo poo like that, not just every boss fight, but also starting giant fights in Grozny Grad, and poo poo like that

MGS4 had like, what, tracking footprints with the Solid Eye? the faction fights were kind of cool at first but ended up being basically meaningless and were kind of broken in practice. basically everything i remember about MGS4 happened in a cutscene, which i can't say about any of the other games, unless looking around Shadow Moses again counts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll always remember hammering X for 4 minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think act 2 is some of the best pure metal gear sneaking levels, the design up to meeting Naomi is just perfect. Also I love act 3 even if it's universally disliked it seems. It's almost 3D pac man.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My favorite MGS4 memory was training my gun on a door that a bunch of infinitely respawning guards were rushing out of in the South America level because I thought you could take out all the guards like in previous parts of the mission, and mowing them all down until Snake had a flashback of Liquid accusing him of enjoying all the killing and starting seizing up and vomiting.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 1, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Also I love act 3 even if it's universally disliked it seems. It's almost 3D pac man.
Same.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

julian assflange posted:

4 is the only one I never played to the end, I just couldn't bond with it. 5 has rekindled my love for these games so it could be time to give it another go.

4 has an incredibly powerful final boss fight, ocelot and snake trading punches and kicks atop of outer haven while class MGS music plays + injecting each other with nanomachines :wth: then u fight the various snakes + ocelots throughout the series and the ending is just like wow...., amaze balls

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what was act 3 again? i cant believe its been 8 loving years since mgs4 already

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

what was act 3 again? i cant believe its been 8 loving years since mgs4 already

trailing a resistance member in the city

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

sneaking through a cool eastern european city + wild bike chase with your surrogate mother

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

oh poo poo i loved that part, and the boss fight at the end was epic as hell

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

really made up for the octopus turning out to be a pansy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i only just played that game like a month or 2 ago and when i was finished i immediately replayed it

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

elf help book posted:

i only just played that game like a month or 2 ago and when i was finished i immediately replayed it

the sign of a great game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

if you skip all the cutscenes you could blow through it in like an afternoon and its a lot of fun

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

if you skip all the cutscenes you could blow through it in like an afternoon and its a lot of fun

i had to get the trophy for watching all the flashbacks so i had to watch almost all of them again, but also thats ok

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

i had to get the trophy for watching all the flashbacks so i had to watch almost all of them again, but also thats ok

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

mmy old roommate was going for plat nd i was around when he did most of his gaming, he got to the point where hhe could beat the whole thing in like four hours

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

watching computer-like perfect runs of all the MGS games is a good time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fungah! posted:

mmy old roommate was going for plat nd i was around when he did most of his gaming, he got to the point where hhe could beat the whole thing in like four hours

yea to get plat you need to beat the game like 8 different times, but if you are willing and able to do a big boss run, the rest of them could be done really fast and fun

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

i have beat mgs4 probably around six or seven times and I have zero trophies :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

rediscover posted:

The very first trailer where they formally revealed that The Phantom Pain was MGSV had Ishmael and the "what about him" scene in it, and as soon as it was posted someone in Games was like "the title is probably a reference to the fact that you're not the original Big Boss" and I was like, oh. That was 2 and a half years before the game came out lol

• Locked thread