Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Gorbash posted:

I don't have it, but in a similar vein back in the Abbott/Hockey years there was of course the Medicare co-payment, and I remember that the numbers around the average number of visits per year were based on some very dodgy assumptions. I think maybe Freudian Slip had done them? Does anyone remember that story, and maybe have a link to the post?

I didn't do the dodgy numbers. That was the head of the commission of audit, Tony Shepherd. He said that Australians visit the GP 11 times on average, when the real and easily found published number was 5.5 times per year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-13/tony-shepherd-incorrect-doctor-visits/5436706

The thing is, they didn't stop repeating that line. I remember Hockey being on Q&A weeks later, still spouting the 11 times bullshit.

If people are curious about where we are at on the whole co-payment thing, I have written a paper on the effect of the current freeze on Medicare rebates. Long story short, they have stopped increasing how much GPs get from Medicare. Over time this is a paycut, especially as costs associated with providing care increase. This will force some GPs to introduce a co-payment to make up cost. Its a co-payment by stealth.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2015/202/6/cost-freezing-general-practice

Fun fact though: The two places you could find the real 5.5 visit rate published were the BEACH project (my project) and the NHPA. Both these research groups have had their federal funding pulled. It would be nice to think it was retribution, but the sad part is that its just part of the full defunding of general practice research by the Government. BEACH, FMRC, APHCRI, PHCRIS and 5 other general practice centres of research excellence are closing their doors due to funding cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Has anyone got masseffect.txt?

i have a few but not the one you're looking for

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

meteor9 posted:

People are literally killing themselves rather than go back to whatever they escaped from, and you keep trotting this out like they're just on loving vacation or something.

They didn't step across the border from some wartorn shithole and into Australia. They crossed through a heap of other countries first. If we're such bastards why not pick somewhere closer.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Pru Goward's sister Pen was a lecturer of mine who was awesome. One time she walked in, talked for five minutes, then said gently caress it see you next week. She also helped me get my honours thesis back under control. That's the only thing Pru has going for her IMO.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

They didn't step across the border from some wartorn shithole and into Australia. They crossed through a heap of other countries first. If we're such bastards why not pick somewhere closer.

This has been answered time and again. I even explicitly answered it at the end of the last thread - these other countries are not signatories to the UN Migration act and therefore lack any rights. Between there and Australia, we're the first stop.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
and as I keep saying, we're being taken for fools and should just back out of the Refugee convention. This isn't WW2.

edit: As a hypothetical, suppose we did just this. Realistically are asylum seekers lives any worse off? According to this thread we're already torturing people until they kill themselves, and I doubt even Australia will create Holocaust 2.0, so I doubt it.

Without the convention in place we have much more freedom to come up with a cheaper, arguably more humane solution on the mainland. We are also free to take the worst of the troublemakers (rapists who use the "cultural differences" defense, murderers etc) and just put them on a cannon and shoot them into the sea without worrying about refoulement bs.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 2, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

and as I keep saying, we're being taken for fools and should just back out of the Refugee convention. This isn't WW2.

So these other countries should be made to take them while not being party to the convention, and we should pull out of the convention...so that we don't have to take them?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I like that Bill Shorten had someone ghostwrite a book for him and talk about his dad in an attempt to make him seem like a human person and not a soulless party hack who ruthlessly reduces everything to numbers until they are on his side

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Was it you, did you ghostwrite the Bill Shorten

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So these other countries should be made to take them while not being party to the convention, and we should pull out of the convention...so that we don't have to take them?

Other countries should not be able to put their fingers in their ears and go "you signed that bit of paper, you take em, we're just gonna let them travel through our borders and there's nothing you can do nyah nyah nyah"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LibertyCat posted:

and as I keep saying,

then why the gently caress are you asking questions you already know the answer to

oh, it's so you can trot out this piece of poo poo "common sense" wisdom that has been addressed, repeatedly.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Other countries should not be able to put their fingers in their ears and go "you signed that bit of paper, you take em, we're just gonna let them travel through our borders and there's nothing you can do nyah nyah nyah"

Why? We signed the bit of paper because we thought that refugees should be protected.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why? We signed the bit of paper because we thought that refugees should be protected.

Circumstances change. I'd like to see it an election issue.

UN conventions I'd like Australia to scrap:

Refugee Convention
Nuclear Non-Proliferation
Ottawa Treaty
Rights of the Child
Anything involving Agenda 21

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I asked you once how you were raised so I could ensure my children were raised in the complete opposite way. I am now asking for that information with urgency.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Agenda 21? What else are you worried about, HAARP? Chemtrails?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

LibertyCat posted:

Over-reached.

e:I can't imagine why someone would pretend to be dumb in the hopes that someone else thinks they're stupid when they're only pretending, but I'll console myself with the hope that's what's happened and you're not actually this hosed in the head.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 2, 2016

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Refugee Convention
Nuclear Non-Proliferation
Ottawa Treaty
Rights of the Child
:siren:Anything involving Agenda 21:siren:

I think I know what's really upsetting LibertyCat.

Edit: :argh: double efb

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LibertyCat posted:

Ottawa Treaty

what the serious gently caress is wrong with you

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

, but I'll console myself with the hope that's what's happened and you're not actually this hosed in the head.

This is auspol. Your hope is sorely misplaced.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

I have a feeling he just google searched "un conventions" and wrote them down.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

GoldStandardConure posted:

We have a lot of land with a small population and a tiny army. Force multipliers like landmines might be needed one day. It's not like we're gonna leave them everywhere like Angola etc.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Captain Cook's Endeavour 'found' at bottom of US harbour

The ship used by Captain James Cook during his voyage to New Zealand may have been found on the bottom of the ocean floor in a US harbour.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project (RIMAP) believes it may have discovered the HMS Endeavour in Newport Harbour, Rhode Island.

The ship, one of the most famous in naval history, was used by Captain Cook on his first voyage of discovery to Australia and New Zealand from 1769 to 1771.

The last sighting of the Endeavour was about 1778 when it was thought to have been sold and its name changed to Lord Sandwich, the Daily Mail reported.

The ship was then used to transport British soldiers during the American revolution.

Now, more than 230 years after it was sold, the ship may have been discovered along with 13 others during a massive archaeological investigation.

In a statement obtained by the Daily Mail, RIMAP, said they were 80 to 100 per cent sure the remains they had found belonged to the Endeavour.

"RIMAP has mapped nine archaeological sites of the 13 ships that were scuttled in Newport Harbour in 1778 during the American Revolution.

"One group of five ships included the Lord Sandwich transport, formerly Captain James Cook's Endeavour."

In 1998, historical documents hinting at the location of the ship were found by a scientist in a shipping archive.

The documents revealed the ship had been renames and scuttled in the US, the Daily Mail reported.

Then in 2014, RIMAP received backing from the Australian National Maritime Museum to investigate the theory further.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11632387

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LibertyCat posted:

We have a lot of land with a small population and a tiny army. Force multipliers like landmines might be needed one day. It's not like we're gonna leave them everywhere like Angola etc.

You're not a good person.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

My brother said when he was in Bosnia you could tell which abandoned houses you'd be safe from landmines to squat in, because there would be graffiti on the inside.

What are some suggestions for how we could tell which abandoned houses in Australia would be free from landmines? I think a really nice glass bong that's been dropped and smashed.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 2, 2016

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

LibertyCat posted:

You know that would basically make them useless right?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
These are magic landmines that don't need to be laid in the ground, obviously.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Skellybones posted:

These are magic landmines that don't need to be laid in the ground, obviously.

We need to develop drones that can travel underground and track their targets via heartbeat, but rather than explode and make them single use (as they would be pretty expensive), put buzz saws on them.

If we didn't gut the CSIRO we could have these in a few years I reckon.

Would probably bypass the Ottawa Treaty too.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I doubt we'd ever need them but why limit ourselves for no good reason?

Australians are probably just a little more disciplined than troops involved in a decades-long civil war. With suitable R&D you could have minefields that could be remotely turned on and off via an encrypted radio link, minimizing the chance of civilian causalities after the conflict is over, but instantly denying enemy use of chokepoints.

Minefields are also good because they are defensive-only. Suppose we mined the poo poo out of parts of Australia. It would increase our defense capability without presenting any threat to other countries. If we used the same money to buy fancy new long-range bombers nearby countries would get nervous and upgrade their own bombing fleet.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 2, 2016

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

What is your opinion on the Chemical Weapons Convention?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
australia needs landmines to protect critical areas like

:shrug:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

Queanbeyan

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Do landmines stop boats though? Crucial question

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I thought that was to stop people from getting out

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birdstrike posted:

Beaches.

From sharks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LibertyCat posted:

You realize that, if we did get invaded (un-loving-likely), they would be arriving on the coastlines, right? What with there being literally no other way to hit us?

Given that, I'm sure you also realize that almost every single one of our cities is a coastal city? Because there's poo poo loving all to found a city on in landlocked regions?

Landmines are one of the least valuable defenses we could ever have, because these hypothetical invaders aren't going to want to take land routes anyway because we're loving huge and have massive stretches of nothing. Which, as luck would have it, would also make landmines loving useless as a defense because of a lack of strategically advantageous places to put them. What, are you going to litter a country road between Melbourne and Sydney with them, when there's honking great stretches of flat land to go around them?

Landmines would be useless at doing anything but maiming innocents in locations so remote that they're very unlikely to get any medical attention.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

LibertyCat posted:

dude, nice

LibertyCat posted:

With suitable R&D you could have minefields that could be remotely turned on and off via an encrypted radio link, minimizing the chance of civilian causalities after the conflict is over, but instantly denying enemy use of chokepoints.

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Tokamak posted:

What is your opinion on the Chemical Weapons Convention?

If we're at the point where we'd seriously use chemicals weapons, we're already screwed.

• Locked thread