Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

i think steins gate handled the final plot twists better than life is strange did

It's like one of three things in existence that actually does time travel well. Or at least well enough for me not to roll my eyes at the whole concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know what did time travel well?

Frequency

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chrono Trigger did time travel well because it didn't give a poo poo about it other than doing what's the most fun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7Onhm3tto

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going back to Ratchet & Clank because everything I've been playing lately has been grim and miserable

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not gonna click a _____s react video

instead, I'm gonna post this gif I found while looking for that sundowner gif

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

You know what did time travel well?

Frequency

Yeah, I'm a fan.

It still does that thing with parallel frame of reference causality. Where changes in past story the don't alter the chain of events leading up the present story, but instead effects the present story at the time it is intercut with it by editing. The same thing that Looper does. It's a cool effect, but it makes literally no sence. What happens in Frequency is really cool though.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I hope they at least hooked the kids up with ZDoom or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Chrono Trigger did time travel well because it didn't give a poo poo about it other than doing what's the most fun.
This is why Chrono Cross never worked. Chrono Trigger is a game almost entirely devoid of worldbuilding - everything you know about the world is suggested, rather than stated. Stuff happens because it would be cool. Chrono Cross asks you take the world seriously, but the foundation just wasn't there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That isn't a criticism of Chrono Trigger. It does a ton of work creating a memorable world just through some cool visual design and great music.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm pinching pennies and was really interested in Uncharted 4, while I was out grocery shopping I noticed this mysterious red box that was apparently full of games and dvds.
Does anyone have any experience renting games out of Redbox? I live in a relatively small town and I saw Uncharted was under Coming Soon. Do you think I could just walk up on May 10th and check it out? Like how many copies of a game does a Red Box have?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's like one of three things in existence that actually does time travel well. Or at least well enough for me not to roll my eyes at the whole concept.
i can appreciate a game giving you a sophie's choice and then going, wait, why would there only be two choices in a theoretical infinite universe. and then they went and also tied up all the loose ends that were left undone throughout the game (except for one thing, the threatening texts Rintaro gets with the doll head which apparently were from FB but I only learned that from googling around)

its also like. uh. way better than bioshock infinite's grandfather paradox bullshit

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maybe not literal time travel but I did like Second Sight's twist ending where you experience a series of flashbacks throughout the game and then at the end you find out that you're actually precognizant and the flashbacks are what's actually happening while everything else was a flashforward, and you use that knowledge to stop the whole mess from happening in the first place.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm pinching pennies and was really interested in Uncharted 4, while I was out grocery shopping I noticed this mysterious red box that was apparently full of games and dvds.
Does anyone have any experience renting games out of Redbox? I live in a relatively small town and I saw Uncharted was under Coming Soon. Do you think I could just walk up on May 10th and check it out? Like how many copies of a game does a Red Box have?

you can reserve a copy online. make an account its 3 dollars per night plus some change so i got and beat until dawn for 9 dollars and 30 cents or whatever at launch. if you know a game is outside your usual genre or that you will beat it fast redbox is a good deal. having a game more than a weekend makes it not cost effective though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

you can reserve a copy online. make an account its 3 dollars per night plus some change so i got and beat until dawn for 9 dollars and 30 cents or whatever at launch. if you know a game is outside your usual genre or that you will beat it fast redbox is a good deal. having a game more than a weekend makes it not cost effective though.

Okay this sounds like something I'm gonna do. Uncharted 4 isn't listed on their website while it was listed on my local Redbox so I'll keep an eye on that.

Also while googling I checked out a just wonderful gamefaqs topic about this subject
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/73555918

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want MatthewMatosis to do more reviews of time-travel based games because he always gets really anal retentive about the "rules of time travel" when he has to cover it in a review. He takes five minutes to complain about how OOT's time travel mechanics don't make sense and it's such a tiny nitpick that gets so much exposition that I love it to pieces and want him to review Chrono Trigger.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I want MatthewMatosis to do more reviews of time-travel based games because he always gets really anal retentive about the "rules of time travel" when he has to cover it in a review. He takes five minutes to complain about how OOT's time travel mechanics don't make sense and it's such a tiny nitpick that gets so much exposition that I love it to pieces and want him to review Chrono Trigger.
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Principles_of_Time_and_Dimensional_Travel.html

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I tried to copy all the text from that but it's three times the maximum size of a post.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why Chrono Cross never worked. Chrono Trigger is a game almost entirely devoid of worldbuilding - everything you know about the world is suggested, rather than stated. Stuff happens because it would be cool. Chrono Cross asks you take the world seriously, but the foundation just wasn't there.

I kind of like the concept of Chrono Cross - like the party's heroic vaulting through time in Chrono Trigger had unforeseen consequences because one does not lightly mess around with time - but there had to be a better way to do it than spending a bunch of time telling us about the politics of Porre and poo poo like that

Rad music tho

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I kind of like the concept of Chrono Cross - like the party's heroic vaulting through time in Chrono Trigger had unforeseen consequences because one does not lightly mess around with time - but there had to be a better way to do it than spending a bunch of time telling us about the politics of Porre and poo poo like that

Rad music tho
I think it was inevitable. Chrono Trigger is the RPG that best embodies its era. All of its mechanics are borrowed from other SNES RPGs - the game even assumes you're familiar with how RPGs work going in. It was the last hurrah for the SNES RPG, released at the system's end.

Chrono Cross is the exact same thing for PS1 RPGs. It's crazy ambitious, completely over-the-top, a massive-budget, cinematic experience with orchestral music and absolutely no restraint whatsoever. For better and for worse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got to miguel and gave up

then i tried playing it later and it was like, heyyyyy this game runs at 5 frames a second, nevermind

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked collecting characters in Chrono Cross

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYO0miVa40

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it was inevitable. Chrono Trigger is the RPG that best embodies its era. All of its mechanics are borrowed from other SNES RPGs - the game even assumes you're familiar with how RPGs work going in. It was the last hurrah for the SNES RPG, released at the system's end.

Chrono Cross is the exact same thing for PS1 RPGs. It's crazy ambitious, completely over-the-top, a massive-budget, cinematic experience with orchestral music and absolutely no restraint whatsoever. For better and for worse.
I guess Lightning Returns is this for PS3 RPGs?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

somebody should make a series that's just a guy smashing boxes with the "greatest hits" label with hammers, bats, etc

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

I liked collecting characters in Chrono Cross

One good thing to come from Chronic Cross was that having to make a system to give each extra character a unique modifier to their speech meant Square actually had to get their poo poo together and give their translators good tools instead of crowbarring the translation in with ASCII characters that couldn't be spellchecked or easily formatted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

I guess Lightning Returns is this for PS3 RPGs?
I don't really know what the big trends were for PS2 and PS3 RPGs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Voice acting and being bad respectively

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

No matter what else and how bad it was, Chrono Cross gave me this song and I'm always going to like the game for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7fr4CYer8&t=40s

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I felt the PS3 era was more the age of waiting. Waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3, waiting for Final Fantasy 7, waiting for Persona 5.

Nier was good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the era of playing a ton of jrpgs on my gba and DS

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 1, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Level Slide posted:

I felt the PS3 era was more the age of waiting. Waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3, waiting for Final Fantasy 7, waiting for Persona 5.

Nier was good

The PS3 era was the era of being completely eclipsed by WRPGs.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Level Slide posted:

Nier was good

Persona 3 and 4 blew the doors off the JRPG complex at the end of the PS2 and set our expectations really high and it sucked for PS3

Nier is good, Nier 2 looks kool too

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I can name some great must play JRPGs in the PS3 generation but for every one, there are two Bioware/Bethsda rpgs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I can name some great must play JRPGs in the PS3 generation but for every one, there are two Bioware/Bethsda rpgs

yeah i wouldnt want to play a jrpg when i could play dragon age 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A harsh assessment but when I think about it I haven't played a single JRPG since like FFXII and yet have at least watched youtubes of the worst parts of Dragon Age 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guy Mann posted:

The PS3 era was the era of being completely eclipsed by WRPGs.

Ah yeah those great console wrpg's such as, uh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

No seriously did Rumiko Takahashi die or something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

No seriously did Rumiko Takahashi die or something

You'll have to ask whoever keeps buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

her current comic has an animated adaptation airing right now

• Locked thread