Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

1460- The Year of Wrath and Movement

The year is 1460 as the Theyalans measure it, all around you much has changed, where once there were scattered tribes gathered together for protection and war there is now a sacred Kingdom. The Kingdom of Sartar is but a recent invention, but you all know the power that it could one day hold. Across all of Dragon Pass new roads have been built or conjured, new cities and towns bursting out like flowers in Sea Season and the whole world seems like it could be so much more. For now though you find yourselves inside the vast hall of the Satarite Kings. On each bench are gathered the lesser kings of each tribe, at least one member of each city ring and their thanes. You are all here to celebrate the recent ascension of Sartar, King of Dragon Pass and founder.

His son, Saronil, sits at the head of the table, conversing with his loyal friends and family and making preparations for the grand sacrifice to Orlanth that will occur tomorrow. He has gathered many of Boldhomes movers and Shakers, and indeed representatives of the Shaker temple as well, to witness his ascension and to celebrate his fathers life. You are all present in various ways and your patrons are here to discuss the coming announcement by the King. There is a shout from the dishthane and all of the hall goes quiet.

Saronil stands and looks out over the hall, his eyes seeming to linger on the flame that now burns in it's centre.

"Our Lord is dead, Our Larnsting, Our Founder, King of Dragon Pass, husband of the Earth, favored of Orlanth and my father is dead. his voice cracks when he says father "But be of good cheer! For he has not simply passed into Orlanths hall, he has been Welcomed into it!" there are cheers from some of the benches and a toast goes up from many of them. He was more than just a father to me though, he was one to all of the peoples of Dragon Pass, a friend to hundreds and a sterling foe to only the most wretched and cruel.

The Prince now waits for the noise to subside I have decided to continue my Fathers work in this world, as he no doubt continues his from Orlanths hall. To do this I am announcing a grand caravan to the far North, the Shaker temple of Tarsh and to Bagnot, to cement between our nations a new era of peace and trade, blessed by Issaries and Orlanth themselves! The Baggage is already prepared and will be accompanied by all those who wish to speak with the Tashites there is some murmuring at this, some who remember good raids that could be lead against the Tarshites, and some who wish to see their bonds strengthened there.

But that is for the future, for now we drink, to Sartar, to Dragon Pass and To Peace and Glory

The cheers are deafening and songs break out across all of the hall. You can't help but notice the smile on the faces of the Queen and Eonistorian.

Irrilo and Kanvath

You are both here as part of the convoy from Esrolia, in your case Kanvath it is mainly because there are very few who wish to associate with a bullman who is not already breaking something and there are those to whom you provide a bodyguard. Those who do not understand when to run from Dragon newt patrols for instance. You are currently batting away the affections of some half drunk Ulerian cultist when you are approached by one of Boldhomes ring. It is Soretta the Runner, Vingan Holy woman and close confidante of Saronil. Her lip curls at the Ulerian who gives her a lascivious wink before wandering off. "Hello Bullman, I'm surprised that I did not find you rutting, but then the rumors of your sanity are apparently true." She gestures you to sit and you do so. "You are going along with the caravan, more than likely protecting the queens traders as they move through the wilderness. But I have a request of you. I've heard rumors of Shepelkirt spawn making their way into Alda Chur and Bagnot, even as far as the sacred shaker temple itself. I want you to try and find out anything you can about the taint of chaos that may be around those areas. I can promise a favour and the joy of crushing skulls if you'd like." Her grin is a grim slash upon her face, but you get the feeling she is telling the truth.

What questions do you ask of her Knvath? What do you do?

Irrilo, your journey here may have been dull and this city is nowhere near as urbane and as populated as Nochet, but it is passable and seems to be quite well decorated for something that sprang from the earth only a few short years ago. But you have little time to appraise the furnishings as you are approached by an important figure, the queen herself Sorona Goodstone. She wears more clothes than you are used to seeing on an Ernaldan queen but you bow deeply. She favours you with a smile before asking to have a polite word.

"Greetings traveler, it is so good to see a countryman of mine in this time, especially so soon after the passing of my lord father. It is a good idea of my husbands to begin to trade with the furthest north is it not? We can but hope to have a Nochet of the hills here eventually. Still I did have a request for you for when you arrive at Bagnot" she pulls you to one side and lowers her voice to a whisper "The Naralos trade group has recently found itself in some difficulties with regards to troll attacks on its way through to Sartar, as a favour to them and to me I would love you to find out something more about it."

Does this play into getting trade for yourself and your house, what do you wish to ask the queen? What do you do Irrilo?

Zzurekern and Kalan

Zzurekern you find yourself applauding politely even whilst those around you are whooping in delight. You turn back to the table with a small clanking sound as you try and continue a "debate" with a young sage who insists that Orlanth is the invisible God. You are about to tell the young man where the Law rune can be stuffed most unpleasantly when you feel a neighborly hand slap you on the back. You look up to see Eonistorian the Sage, your friend and fellow learned man smiling back at you. You budge along the bench and try and ask him to sit down, but he simply shakes his head and asks you outside for a moment. Under the cool night air you catch Eonistorian smiling ruefully at the huge fire where his father appeared to vanish a mere 2 days ago ( You didn't even know Barbarians could achieve Solace! It is truly remarkable what you are learning here). "To think, three days ago he was more busy playing with his grandchildren than planning an ascension" he says, almost to himself "But to business my friend, I would love you to go as a representative of mine alongside the coming trade mission to the North. No doubt there will be many things of interest to one such as yourself. But there is something I would like you to find. The library at Bagnot has a huge number of books and I recently arranged a purchase of one in particular. It is called "The Book of Larnste" and the seller will only give it over to a representative of mine in person with payment" he reaches into the manifold bags of his clothing and bring out a sack that seems almost too heavy to carry. "So here we go, that is a full 100 Solar Coins, with one from the time of the Golden Dragon Emperor. Will you make this purchase for me, friend?"

You have been given a Kings Ransom in coinage here Zzurekern! What will you do?

Kalan you can barely believe you are here. Eonistorian had done you and all members of the Lhankor Mhy a huge favour to invite you into the hall for this. Even if one of the people at the table appears to be a somewhat slow metal man who is trying to argue with Hastrex that there is an invisible God above Orlanth. It has given you unfettered access to Sartars actual compatriots! You are tempted to try talking to all of them at once, but finally you manage to get Geo the best beloved of Sartars companions to talk to you. He seems pleased but a little sad about the passing of his great friend and he turns to you with a smile when you start to ask question of what Sartar was really like. He tells you the stories you already know about the transformations and the Woodpeckers. But you also start to notice some bits that contradict the official line and start to note down as much as you can. He does say one truly interesting thing though "You know Sartar actually visited the Shaker temple before he even became known as Larnstring? Its true! He went up there by himself and spoke to several of the Ty Kora Tek worshippers they have there. Strangest thing too, he always seemed to have gained that smile of his after that". Could this be a hint as to where the Larnstring power comes from?

What Questions do you ask Kalan? Do you wish to go on the Tarsh Expedition? Whom do you wish to accompany?

Balisleron and Aldsen

Balisleron you wait outside, doing what should be the duty of others in this backwater and guarding against threats. You can hear the shouts from inside and the raucous barbarian yelling, you see some of them wander outside, singing songs to the night sky and curl your lip in disgust. Suddenly you find yourself being approached by your Lord, Andrin Sunbinder his face ruddy but not too drunk as you draw yourself up to talk with him. He gives you a companionable wave and hands you a mug of ale, which you dutifully drink down. It tastes like the sheep is still inside of it as you listen to your lords plan "The King has announced a Grand Expedition that is heading North. To trade with the people of Tarsh and to try and set up a permanent series of roads. I think we can make use of this in a big way and I'd like you to accompany the traders I am sending. I am also sending my son with you, he wishes to see where his mothers people and he will probably want to find out a bit more about the Shakers" he smiles at you somewhat sadly at the next part "I know there is going to be some friction between the sun domers and you that you meet, but try to convince them that you are simply following your gods path."

What Questions do you Ask Balisleron? What do you do?

Aldsen You cheer right along with the kings thanes when he raises a toast to Sartar. The other Grazers you have been sat with look at you angrily as you seat yourself back down. The Bearer of the Head, known to the Orlanthi as the Feathered Horse Queen, is here to mourn the passing of her husband and to celebrate the succession of her son as a King here. Her daughter is also with her, the same age as her brother who now sits at the head of the table and talks with some members of his Telemori bodyguard. The Bearer of the head sees you and approaches, all others on the table bow their heads in reverence at her manifestation of Earth.

Her voice is stern and brooks no opposition "I have a task for you to complete, oh follower of change and the sun", she gestures to her daughter "Yoristina here seeks to know more of the Darker aspects of our power, so I am sending her with her brothers expedition to the Shaker Temple. You shall accompany her and ensure that no man touches her and that should she find her skill there that she return to us first." Her daughter smiles and bows to you, you know she is strong in the earth rune, but also know it is unlikely she will follow her mother, why would she want to go to the dark earth temple?

Aldsen, this is a huge responsibility, do you ask any questions to your queen before you go? What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Dramitas Personae

House of Sartar
Saronil

Eldest Son of Sartar and the Feathered Horse Queen already renowned as a great warrior and, whilst not as mystically powerful as his father, clearly in touch with Orlanth and the other side.

Sorana Goodstone

Primary wife of Saronil, she is powerful in the earth rune and also known for her connections to the great trade families of Nochet and the Holy Country.

Soretta The Runner

A fierce initiate of Vinga, well known for her ties to several Humakti temples and eager for a push North to aid the Kingdom of Tarsh in its raids on the Lunar Empire for profit and glory.

Eonistorian The Sage

The formidable Lhankor Mhy Scholar of the House of Sartar. The Son of Sartars second, and none Horse Spawn wife, Eonistorian is an incredibly learned man, well used to using his noble lineage to acquire funds and favours for his temple, and to get his temple to back the House of Sartar.

Geo The Brewmaster
Widely considered an Uncle to half of Sartar, this avuncular man helped Sartar to establish peace through his cooking, brewing a fabulous inns. Their spread has been meteoric and there is one in every city that Sartar helped to found.

Indros Goodsell

The foremost Issaries trader of Sartar, patron of the city rings and possibly the fattest man to ever sit atop a mule.

City Ring of Boldhome

1- Saronil The Builder
2- Eonistorian the Sage
3-Soretta The Runner
4- Esligath The Unswerving
5- Korol Ironsmith
6-Arendla The Grower
7- Garstal The Eye Roller

Tribal Rulers
Tribes of the Jonstown Confederation
Argash Wolffoe- Leader of the Cinsina Tribe: This tribal king is renowned for his successes against the Telemori during their initial invasion. He famously disagreed with Sartars forgiveness of the Telemori but has proven his acceptance through oaths sworn on his Iron sword Dogbiter.

Tolkar Headbutter- King of the Culbrea Tribe: This tribes habit of violence is well known and their leader is no exception. Some even think he might be a Uroxi berserk considering how powerful and constant his rage is.

Esligath the Unswerving- King of the Malani Tribe and Swordthane to Saronil Esligath is also known as the Grim. His ability to fight without sleep is infamous and his utter loathing for weakness is much known and feared throughout Sartar. As he is often absent his daughter Ysria, a far more level headed and less outlaw happy tribal queen, rules in his stead.

Brinslada Lightdrinker- Queen of the Torkani Tribe This tribes friendship with the trolls has served them well as they grow rich on the profits of the Argan Argar trade caravans. Brinslada is a terrifying older woman, who got her name for eating a sacred horse of the Grazers in two bites.

Tribes of the Swenstown Confederation
Felenca Horsebreaker- Queen of the Aranwyth Tribe This tribes horses are the best in Sartar and Felencas horses are the best trained in the tribes. She has promised a kings weregild to anyone who manages to slay the dread Skinner creature that takes her finest foal every year.

Yalnoth Skydrainer- King/Queen of the Dundealos tribe This tribe is known for Slaying Jaldon Goldtooth and being the source for the Pol Joni founder Derick Furman, but is now known for their leader. Yalnoth is a initiate of Heler and so their gender is frequently in flux. Their style of command has recieved a great deal of respect though and their frequent raids against the Impala people have made them well respected.

Andrin Sunbinder- King of the Kheldon Tribe This tribe is known as the most Noble in all of Sartar, famed for the magical aid they so often recieve in war. Their king has recently returned from a heroquest with a Yelmalio worshiper bound to his service and is known as a canny politician and suspected initiate to the Lightbringer aspect of Orlanth.

Foreigners

The Red Emperor

This demigod is the human representative of the dread Red moon called Shelpkrit that even now squats in Orlanths Middle Air. He is currently called "Magnificus" and has just killed a great sorcerer by the name of Sheng Seleris and is currently rebuilding his shattered country.

King Pyjeemsab of Tarsh

This rather Dissolute young man has just ascended to the throne of Tarsh, which is no longer elected as Orlanthi Kings should be. It is worrying to see ancient rules flouted in such a manner, but they are still the best of our allies to the North against the Red Empire.

(will be expanded as we play, will also be adding pictures!)

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Kanvath the Bullock

"There is a time for everything, and while the Ulerians may be beautiful, they are also distracting." Kanvath takes a deep drink of his mead and grins.
"Now, you speak of truly interesting matters. For too long has that red orb been an eyesore. To hear someone wanting to do something about it. That speaks to your wisdom, you are truly like the Red Woman." Taking another gulp of mead, he wipes the foam from his mouth and continues. "So, let me ask, when I find the Chaos tainted. Do you want it to be plain who caused it, or should it be the work of bandits?" Kanvath taps his nose. "The Laws don't apply to Chaos, and I hear the roads of Tarsh are dangerous, and Gagarthi may be anywhere. Of course, any information which survives shall be brought back. It is easiest to hunt down Chaos when you know where their nest is."

pre:
Kanvath the Bullock
Exiled Uroxi Warrior

Player Name: Tindalos
Campaign: Sartar Starts Early
Runes:
Air		- 13
Death		- 19
 Relentless +1
Eternal Battle	- 5W
 Initiate of Urox
 Terrifying Battlecry +1

Gregarious 13
Pipe Playing 15

Defining Characteristic: Exiled 17
Occupational Keyword: Warrior (Heavy Infantry) 1W
 Shieldwall Fighting +1
 Aurochs-Hide Shield +1
Cultural Keyword: Esrolian 13
Community: Kosh Urox Temple 13

Flaws: 
Suspected Illuminate 6W

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 1, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zzurekern

What fascinating sights! What engrossing culture! And, well, what annoying pedants, but there's only one place that's perfect. Eonistorian's arrival may well have saved that young man from a very embarrassing party story, but Zzurekern is always happy to greet a friend. Besides, the Second book of Hrestolclearly states that

He let his eyes track over the mystical flame. He knew a bit more than most about the Invisible God's Dream -- after all, it's how he got here. He could sense... Air, of course. Magic. Infinity?

"Eonistorian, you know I'm always happy to help. I suppose I could keep the gold with Sleipneir, he's more trustworthy than any caravan. But... I'm not a merchant. I can protect the book, but I'm afraid of being cheated. A lot can happen on the road between two kingdoms, and when I get there, how will I know it's the real thing?"

Not that Zzur is afraid of anything, but he's never seen this book before in his life, and even he's not rash enough to think that traveling the long road to Tarsh with that much gold will be easy. Also, he's a nosy wizard. What does he see in the flame?

pre:
Culture: Loskalm 13

Community: The Knowing Society of Sartar 13 - Zzurekern has fallen in with a loose collection of sorcerers, sages, 
storytellers and scholars who travel all over Dragon Pass. Eonistorian is one of their prominent members.

Endure Punishing Temperatures+1
	Piercing Mystical Perceptions +1
	Relationship: Sleipneir, Zzur's Clever Magical Warhorse +1
	Possession: Snowfall, a Beautiful Iron Runesword +1 

Runes:
Air 13

Harmony 20
	Make Peace with Strangers +1

Law 6W	
	Meriatan's Monograph on Matters Mystical and Martial, 4th Edition +1 (magic, death)
	 Wreath Sword in Flames (fire, death) 
	 Slice Apart Heathen Magic (magic, truth)
	 Charge With a Spear Like a Thunderbolt (air, death)
	 ?
	 ?

Distinguishing Characteristic: Earnest 17
	Spirited Theological Debate +1

Possession: Snowfall, a Beautiful Iron Runesword 2W
	Strike Immaterial Foe +1

Follower: Sleipneir, Clever Magical Warhorse 2W
	Jesus Boss, not Again +1 

Flaws:
	Charges Headlong into Danger 7W
	Sir, Do You Have a Moment to Hear About the Invisible God? 3W
3 Magic left to spend

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 10, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan is starstruck. Growing up in the Quivini lands, he heard countless stories about how Geo's inns fostered peace among the Quivini tribes and taught them to appreciate Sartar's rule (mainly by giving them a place to all get drunk together). He is able to summon enough of the ol' Lhankhoring forbearance to keep himself from humming "Geo's Song" at the man, but he still finds it hard to keep up his end of the conversation when he's so busy grinning like an idiot. Still, he finds himself wondering about Geo's willingness to be interviewed. Is he just enjoying telling stories about his fallen friend, or is there a deeper message he is trying to convey? Who should he trust on matters historical -- the man's friend or outside observers? Everyone is biased in some way and the truth can be twisted to take many forms.

The comment about the Earthshaker temple is fascinating, and clearly intended to be, but Kalan can't help but take the bait. "I have traveled to Tarsh before, but I found the audiences there to be... less than receptive to my poetry. Perhaps it was my accent," Kalan gives a weak smile, "I know the road to Bagnot, but have never stopped at the Shaker temple. It is said to be a dangerous place for a man to visit alone. It is also said that some priestess of the goddesses below live to be very old indeed. Perhaps someone there will know what secrets Sartar learned in the place of the Earth Women." Kalan is conflicted. This mystery has the makings of a great quest (at least it does if Geo isn't just blowing smoke), but he is no hero and is unused to traveling to dangerous places without a good reason. Still, a twisting in his gut tells him that The Sartariad --and therefor his life's work -- will never be complete until he knows the full story of Sartar Larnsting. Geo can surely see the conflict on Kalan's face plain as day and may even be amused by it, but the younger man doesn't take long to make his decision.

"Will the prince..." Kalan stops short as Geo winces, "Excuse me, will His Majesty the king be leading the expedition himself? No doubt he has guides more knowledgeable than myself, but I know many stories of Kero Fin, the Earth Goddesses, and the Tarshite ancestors. Perhaps I could help make the caravan's journey into the unknown seem a little less frightening."

pre:
Kalan Four-Winds

Concept: Wandering Wordsmith

Cultural Keyword: Heortling 13

Community: Prodigal Lhankhoring of Dragon Pass 13

Profession: Poet for all seasons 2W
	-Victualing Verbiage +1 (who says you can't eat words?)

Runes:
Air 13

Truth 1W
	-Speaking truth to power +1

Movement 4W
	-Seasoned Wayfarer +1
	-Let's get out of here! +1

Distinguishing Characteristic: Writing The Sartariad 17

Flaws:
Wanderlust 5W
Hates Horse-Spawn 5W

Companion:

Lucky 
Alynx 2W
Kalan's only friend 15
He really is lucky 1W

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 1, 2016

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Belisleron the Bound

For all that he knows it is shameful to display such to his lord, Balisleron allows his face fall into stoic resignation as he receives his new instructions. And yet at Andrin's final command, he cannot maintain even that. Eyes wide in dismay, he surprises himself with the weakness of his own voice

"My lord, if you command, I will obey, but... but I am no skilled liar to weave a story a sundomer would accept, and I fear the truth of my oath would raise even greater ire than simply saying nothing, allowing them to believe I am merely impious and overly mercenary. I..." Balisleron finds himself staring at the distant horizon, unable to maintain eye contact at the shame of questioning orders, even from the storm. "Are you sure you will not reconsider?"

pre:
Cultural Keyword: Sairdite 13

Community: In the service of the Kheldon Tribe 13

Occupational Keyword: Warrior (Heavy Infantry): 17
	Knows how to fight in Phalanx +1

Runes:
Fire 3W - Yelmalio Initiate.
	Fight against Darkness Creatures +1
	Lightning Spear +1

Truth - 1W
	Force Obedience +1

Stasis - 13 

Distinguishing Characteristic: Failed the Hill of Gold: 1w
	Bound by Oath to Kheldon Tribal King +1
	Favor of Inora +1

Contacts: Grudge Bearing Sun Domers 13

Flaws:
Ungratefully Bound 4W
Utter snob 4W

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

quote:

It is a good idea of my husbands to begin to trade with the furthest north is it not? We can but hope to have a Nochet of the hills here eventually.

Irillo removes his sunglasses and starts cleaning them with a small piece of spider silk cloth. "Your Majesty, it would be my pleasure to investigate the caravan attacks and learn what I can. Further, I'll see if there's some way to end the attacks. The Grandmother of my House -- whom of course you know well -- sent me north to secure the House's interests here -- the expedition to Tarsh was unforeseen but fortuitous -- but also to play what part I may in helping to stabilize and strengthen Sartar. Helping to stop these attacks serves all our interests.

"But to return to the subject of the trade mission to Tarsh, your royal husband's idea is excellent. A Tarsh-Sartar-Kethaela trade corridor can only serve to strengthen, stabilize and secure all three." His glasses clean, he lets them hang from the silver chain around his neck. "Your Majesty, I brought a shamefully small sampling of goods north with me, mainly to whet the appetite for what the Holy Country can provide in hopes of securing trade agreements. Being Esrolian, you're already familiar with most everything I have, but, ah ... there is one thing, the crown jewel if you'll pardon the expression. It's something I've had to persuade various parties to cooperate in the creation of, including a bold and relatively new vineyard south of Rhigos. The resulting wine, well it has to be tasted to be believed. It would honour me beyond words if you would permit me to fetch an amphora as a gift for you and your royal husband."

pre:
Irillo, ambitious trader

Appearance Notes: This image of Lionfish by Jenx is pretty close, but Irillo's beard is closely trimmed, and
his hair is usually tied back, with a silver hoop when he needs to impress someone, otherwise with a leather thong.

Esrolian Culture: 13
Community - House Delainaeo: 13
Occupation - Trader: 1W
Standard of Living: Prosperous
Distinguishing Characteristic - Ambitious: 17

[Communication] - Initiate of Argan Argar, Nightcult subcult 1W 
     Bless a Transaction +1
     Be Understood By Any Listener +1
     Make a Friendly Greeting +1
[Darkness]: 1W
     Take Darkness Form
     [Darkness]The Lead Grimoire: +1
          [Darkness] Summon Dehori
          [Darkness][Stasis] Solidify Darkness
          TBD
          TBD
          TBD
[Law]: 13

Companion - Ebon Spear
     Ebon Spear 1W
     Destroy Chaotic Thing 1W
     Absorb Light 16

Flaws
     Greedy 1W

Hero Points: 2

------------------------------------------------------------

Unspent Additional Abilities: 1, Ability Points: 4

Additional Abilities
     Bless a Transaction
     Be Understood By Any Listener
     Make a Friendly Greeting
     Ebon Spear
     Take Darkness Form

Abilitiy Points Spent
     4: [Darkness]
     4: Trader

Dumnbunny fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 7, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tindalos posted:

Kanvath the Bullock[/url]

Soretta smiles back and seems impressed by your question. "Well its up to you of course, but I've always been a fan of a message being sent," and here her voice drops on octave "loudly". "Just be aware that there may be some in Tarsh who support their own infestation to strike at their foes."

Anything else you wish to ask, to either her or the rest of the hall? If not then tell us how many Uroxi you count among the caravans guards, and why the Uleria worshipper seems to be following you tomorrow.

wiegieman posted:

Zzurekern

Not that Zzur is afraid of anything, but he's never seen this book before in his life, and even he's not rash enough to think that traveling the long road to Tarsh with that much gold will be easy. Also, he's a nosy wizard. What does he see in the flame?

Eonistorian laughs, "You will know it because it moves my friend. The book is temporarily bound in iron to keep it from filing itself away in different areas of the library", his mirth is evident but subsides slightly when he sees your worried look "And you will not be cheated, the man who is sending it to me has given a bond on the sword god that it will be mine and, should he or any under his subjection attempt to cheat you, his left eye will burst in his skull the second he is given the gold", his smile turns grim at this "I've made very sure of that."

Eonistorian's talk has lead you over to the Flame. It shifts in the cold night air as the wind moves across the city. You look into the flame itself and see: Zzabur stares at the sea and sinks the land. A man clad in wolfskins butchers a snake atop a mountain side. A king watches and gazes at you, his eyes blue and gold as he whispers Ride well Westlander, for all should kow your form of peace". You pull away for a moment and breathe again, Eonistorian is at your side and says "Best not look at my father for too long, he tends to do stuff like that".

Do you ask any further questions? If not then tell us how Sleipneir responds to your new task, and where you find yourself in the caravan's train tomorrow

"Ah the King will... probably not be going. In truth I think that this particular excursion is more to keep his wife and brother happy. He's always been more happy with a sword in his hand." Geo smiles again and takes a long daft of truly excellent ale "I on the other hand will be going, there needs to be at least one of the old guard to make sure that the caravan knows how to use the kings roads, and if you wish to learn anything of truth the only was is to run with it." A large Telemori approaches Geo and leans down to talk the wolf at his side growls softly at you. Geo turns politely and says "Sorry lad, I am called elsewhere. Apparently someone is trying to out drink a Heler initiate and they need me to talk them down".

Do you ask further questions to anyone else it the room? If not then give a description of the evening and how hungover you are on the cart the morning after

reignonyourparade posted:

Belisleron the Bound

You fear that Andrin is going to tell you to simply obey, as your Polymarch would sometimes do, but instead he smiles "You know your own heart best my friend. I will let you choose how to deal with your countrymen and fellows should you wish". He looks at you oddly, his orange eyes look more confused than anything about the way in which you tried to speak to him. "Do not be afraid to speak to me of what you see though, and look out for my son, you are both expected to be coming back to us in one piece.

Do you wish to ask your lord any further questions? If not then give a description of the people in Andrin's company that you march with on the Caravan trail

Dumnbunny posted:

Irillo, ambitious trader

The queen smiles indulgently at this, she more than likely knows of your purchases already and was seeking some method of inducing a gift. "But of course, bring it to the table at once, I am sure that all of us from the mother country have long waited to taste something of this sort."

You rush out and rifle through the bag you have brought, the guards that surround it seem amazed that you can see anything in that area, ut you find it. It is truly as fine as you said and the Trader you had received it from had asked for so little in return.

You head back into the hall, the lights still blaring and the people all fallen to talking or singing. At the head table the ring appears to have reconvened, without further ado you move forward, elbowing some of the other claimants gently out of the way as you present the wine to the gathered nobility.

Roll a chosen Keyword against a high difficulty test (20, no masteries), they are barbarians and may not appreciate it as well as you would like. (The prize is the good impression you will make on the gathered Royalty). Once this is done do you wish to question anyone else? If not tell us what you purchased to take into Tarsh and who you find yourself traveling with.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 1, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

He bows his head with the others when the Queen walks forward, but his head snaps up when he's addressed. He stands and returns the princess' bow, slightly unsteady from the wine he's been drinking.

"If that is your will, I will not fail you."

Aldsen knows better than to question the Queen, especially in front of other Grazers. However he is more than a bit confused by the choice. As he bows he takes the opportunity to look at how the other Grazers assembled reacts to this decision. Aldsen knows better than to question the Queen openly, but there are many questions in his mind. There must be some reason for her to select him over one of the more... traditional horseman, to take such a responsibility. He decides to question the princess about it more discretely.

"I will go make sure the horses are prepared for the journey. Might your daughter show her preferred companions to me?"

Basically going to try and get the princess to come with me so I can ask her what's going on/if there is a hidden agenda here that requires a more unorthodox agent. I'm also going to prepare/check the horses that the princess and whoever her other retainers are will be riding.

pre:
Cultural Keyword: Grazelander - 13

Community: Queen's Retinue  - 13

Occupational Keyword: Warrior (Light Cavalry): 17
Breakout Ability: Scout +1

Relationship: Follower Yacul, Steadfast Horse-Brother +1

Runes:
Spirit  - 11W
Golden Bow Tradition (Spirit, Fire)
-Charm 1: Firebrand (Fire) +1
The spirit aids in inciting and inspiring others by stirring up the fire in them. 
Taboo: Must never lie. 

-Charm 2: Splint of Broken Leg Healing (Harmony/Healing Spirit) +1
The spirit will set and heal broken legs in horses that would usually leave them lame. 
Taboo: Must not harm horses 

-Charm 3: Purifying Cup (Water Spirit) +1
Any drink poured into the cup will be purged of poisons and sickness. 
Taboo: Never be the last one drunk

Charm 4: Bronze-Hard Bones (Earth) +1
Unnatural resistance to broken bones and other such blunt-force injuries. 
Taboo: May not wear metal armor (including things like studded leather)

Charm 5: Ghostflame Arrows +1
A spirit of heat living in the bow imbues arrows fired from it with magical, lightless fire. 
Taboo: Must light a fire every day. 

Movement - 19

Fire - 13 

Distinguishing Characteristic: Social Reformer - 17
-Projecting Voice +1

Abilities
1 Left in Reserve 

Companion Yacul, Steadfast Horse-Brother
Goldeneye Grazeland Pony - 3W

Steadfast - 1W

Spirit World Travel - 13

Flaws: 
Spiteful  of the Old Ways - 11W
Unforgiving - 19

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Queen nods at you "Follow him daughter. I must pay my respects to your father." She heads out towards the fire that even now looms over Boldhome. You know it will not be long until she heads back to the Grazelands, perhaps this is a gift to you as well, to get you out of the city and away from the angry glares of the others.

But you have little time to think on this, the princess approaches and takes you outside to the Stables. She smiles coyly at you "Thank you for agreeing to take me to the Temple. In truth you were my first choice since I have heard so much of you and your ideas. Change was my fathers watchword, and it seems as if our mother thinks it should be stopped now." Her smile is growing now, and you fear you know what she wants. "In truth the only others who would be accompanying us will be body servants and some of my brothers warrior women. Mother wanted my journey to be personal" you realise how close she is to you at this point "and I think you can help with that". She smiles again before heading out of the stable.

You are left alone with the horses, if you wish to check on them you find them to be in good health and in general look much stronger than the ponies the grounders ride really should. Must be something of a new bloodline to them.

Do you wish to ask any further questions to anyone else in Boldhome? If not then describe the wagon that the Princess is riding in, and what the warrior woman she is travelling with looks like.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
[quote="professor_curly" post="459373335"]

Aldsen

He stands in the stable for a while, weighing what just happened. He hears an amused whinny from behind him, which just grates his nerves even more.

"Shut up Yacul. This is more than likely to end up with both of us being geldings."

The horse snorts and goes back to the water trough, flicking his tail dismissively. That just served to irritate Aldsen further, "I hate it when you're right."

The grazer attended to the other horses, making sure they were hale and healthy enough for a long journey. They weren't goldeneyes, but they were superior to the ground-people horses that were assembled in the stable. He decides to brush and groom them as well, since it was always uncertain when there would be opportunities on such a trip. It gave him time to sober up a bit more, to think about this situation clearly. He had traveled with the Queen as part of her retinue for some years, and everywhere he and the other bodyguards, holy men and other advisers went it would always be the same story. Wine, ale and mead would be poured. Aldsen would get drunk enough to loosen his tongue, and he would start telling the others what he really thought about the way the Grazers were going. These arguments could go on for hours at a time and would continue off and on for days. He could even claim to have convinced a few onlookers to his way of thinking, but he had not expected the arguments to have carried quite so far.

and I think you can help with that

"Spirits of death take me now, this is going to be a long trip. Do you suppose the Queen knew about this?" he asks Yacul, who turns to stare at him, "Of course she did, a mother knows more than any the thoughts of the daughter. I suppose that means she either trusts me, or she knows that she terrifies me. Probably both."

Aldsen puts fresh straw in Yacul's pen, and gives his horse-brother a fresh blanket for the night once his other chores were done, "Regardless of anything else, at least we will get to see Tarsh, where our ancestors lived. And get a measure of those who live there now."

------------------
No further questions
-------------------

The next morning Aldsen awakes early to prepare the horses for the journey. The travelling wagon is not grand and goes unmarked, so as not to draw unwanted attention compared to the rest of the expedition. It has solid-wood wheels and frame, with a tall wooden frame that is covered by tightly-pulled leathers. Enough to keep the rain out, if certainly less comfortable than a royal household. Aldsen helps pack the essential supplies they will be carrying, but leaves soon afterward. The warrior-woman who will be travelling with them is older, perhaps one of the queen's personal companions. Her face and body bear many tattoos and many charms dangle off her scale-armor. She carries a bow, with a full quiver next to her as well as a cavalry spear. She helps the princess move personal effects and offerings for the Earthshaker temple.

Aldsen himself is wearing a fur-lined linothorax, with his own bow and cavalry spear. Yacul wears some similar linothorax armor as well. Everything was ready, but he foresaw many problems on the road...

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Kanvath the Bullock

He drops his voice to a hushed tone, not a whisper, but still not easily heard over the hall's raucous crowds. "Hah, if any are so foolish when the Bull approaches, I shall take the twenty cows and drag them back down to Boldhome myself. That and outlawry is the price for succouring Chaos-lovers is it not?" Kanvath downs the rest of his drink and returns to a normal volume. "If any Chaos-lovers try to approach the caravan... well, I will do my duty." He gives Soretta a grin. "Now I must go. I must find other worthies to accompany us north, for the glory of the Bull." With that, Kanvath leaves the table, and goes to find the worst centres of violence, singing, drunkenness, and nakedness.
He may not fit the stereotype himself, but he will need those who do.

By the end of the festivities, Kanvath finds three other Bullmen to accompany the caravan, with all four Uroxi likely to be nursing hangovers in the mourning. The half-drunk Ulerian seems to be following him around as well. Kanvath guesses she views him as a challenge, or wants to find out the truth to his nickname; in either case it is hard to tell if she is besotted with him, or just besotted in general.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Do you ask further questions to anyone else it the room? If not then give a description of the evening and how hungover you are on the cart the morning after

Kalan

Kalan says goodbye to his new friend and stands there sipping his ale for a while. He has long since learned the secret of drinking without getting drunk as it is the only way to respect a patron's generosity while remaining light-tongued enough to repay it. Tonight though, he is uncertain. He travels light, so preparing for the trip is not a concern, but the man who invited him to this court is dead and now he has supped at the king's table and pestered his friends with questions, but still doesn't know why he was originally summoned. Kalan sighs and downs the rest of his tankard in a single gulp. Then he grabs a shank of lamb off a table and steps outside to enjoy the cool breeze on his face. He finds a quiet spot to lean against a wall and look at the night sky. He counts the stars and planets and softly murmurs their names to himself as he goes. He's only on his third constellation when he hears a yowl and a big gray cat materializes out of the shadows. He throws the lamb shank to Lucky and the alynx devours it in just a few bites. Then the cat comes and rubs up against him (getting grease and marrow all over his cloak) and purrs extravagantly when Kalan scratches behind his ears.

After a while, Kalan looks up. The red moon is rising and some of the feast guests (the lightweights and people with work in the morning) have begun to shuffle out in search of a warm place to lie down. Kalan should join them, or, failing that, at least return to the hall and get properly soused, but the poet is restless. Perhaps there was still a way he could honor the fallen king. He walks over to the king's great fire. There is a small crowd there, but he pays them no mind. He gazes deep into the fire and begins to chant. He does not read from his Sartariad as he had originally intended, but instead starts into an ancient story that every Heortling has known form childhood: Orlanth's descent into the underworld.

"Chaos stalk'd the land and darkness loom'd eternal
and Kero Fin's proud son was held accountable.
Yet the Wind Lord's heart was righteous
and his eyes were filled with fury
For the sake of all creation
he embarked upon his journey..."

The poem goes on like this for a good while and those that appreciate Kalan's reedy voice and rather loose rhyme scheme find that Orlanth's journey parallels King Sartar's life in intriguing and unexpected ways. Kalan thinks he sees a few tears when he reaches the ending and Orlanth returns to the daylight world, but that might just be their grief or smoke in their eyes. With his poem over and his heart drained, Kalan stares into the fire a while longer, humbly but distractedly accepting whatever praise or scorn comes his way. Then he quietly wanders off in search of more beer and some nice straw to lie in.

[Using Poet for All Seasons at 2W to honor Orlanth and the fallen king and maybe impress someone in the crowd.]

e: reposting the actual roll from OOC. Poetry time! 2W 1d20=3

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 2, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zzurekern

"An interesting man, Eonistorian, with interesting things to say. I'll remember."

-----------
In the stables
-----------

If people weren't used to it by now, they'd be quite surprised by the rather one-sided conversation.

"Oh, don't be such a drama queen. What is it, fifty pounds? I split the weight. You used to carry me, a suit of armor, and a set of lances every day when we were in the patrols."

Clip clop whinny. If it's so light, you carry it.

"You remember that time with the refugees, when we carried the six children and the pregnant woman? That was three days, and you weren't even winded. You ask me, one of us is getting out of shape."

Harrumph. That's not the point. You ran off without even knowing where you're going.

"Well, of course I'm exited! It's one of the biggest libraries outside the West! And, don't tell anyone,"

Clack neigh. No danger there.

"Let me finish, alright? I try to meet new people, and there are bad stories coming out of north. We have an obligation to help. Besides, I had a vision."

Clomp Clomp Clomp. From a false god.

"Well, technically, a man who sublimated himself into a greater Runic construct. Regardless, the point stands that --"

Stare. Fine, but if you put me next to that stuck up Grazer I'm going to complain the whole time.

-----------
The next morning
-----------

Men and horses moved along at a steady pace. Zzur and Sleipneir stayed close enough to the wagons to appear as guards, but far enough to not appear guarded. This was Dragon Pass, after all. It's best to keep an eye out.

The world's smartest horse isn't thrilled about keeping that much gold in his saddlebags, but someone has to do it.

Piercing Mystical Perceptions 2W to see trouble coming.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Next Day

The Carnyx is blowing as you all make your ways, more or less steadily, towards the centre of Boldhomes market. It proves to be an impressive sight, 7 vast caravans, all bedecked with runes of trade and travel, at least 25 mules all laden with goods and gifts. The Carnyx, the pipes and the drum beat mark out the starting point of the largest trade caravan to ever set off from Sartar, you know that there will be bandits and more attracted by this, but you also witness at least 10 pure white cattle sacrificed to Issaries and Orlanth to ensure the safety of the caravan.

Saronil himself sacrifices the largest bullock, calling out to the Gods themselves as he does so By Orlanth and Issaries do I bless this caravan, may it bring us back good tidings and glory to all those who travel within it! There is cheering from some of the less hung over warriors as it begins to make its way towards the far Eastern wall of the city.

You are glad that the Princess will not be flirting with you at all times whilst you are making this trek, but for now you find yourself riding alongside the strange Westerner who is speaks to the sage of Boldhome. You are both riding at the head of the caravan whilst it makes its wending way through the cities streets. You can feel the oppresiveness of stone begin to leave you as you look out of the city into the wide blue yonder.

Tindalos posted:

Kanvath the Bullock

By the end of the festivities, Kanvath finds three other Bullmen to accompany the caravan, with all four Uroxi likely to be nursing hangovers in the mourning. The half-drunk Ulerian seems to be following him around as well. Kanvath guesses she views him as a challenge, or wants to find out the truth to his nickname; in either case it is hard to tell if she is besotted with him, or just besotted in general.

You decide that the best way to motivate your fellows is through yelling and kicking things it proves to be a wise, if somewhat unanticipated, choice of motivation. They gather together towards the front of the Caravan yelling their defiance to the Chaos of the cosmos to come and take this caravan if it can. The Ulerian, whose name you learn is Mastralla, is still following you, but appears to be laying out garlands across the backs of the mules and up and down the sides of the caravan in the shape of the Life rune.

Duckbag posted:

Kalan

[Using Poet for All Seasons at 2W to honor Orlanth and the fallen king and maybe impress someone in the crowd.]

Your poem is, gernerally well recieved and many among the listeners cheer and whoop approvingly as you talk of the deeds of Orlanth and of Sartar, weaving a tale of glory and might. Unfortunately for you there is a listener who is not best pleased at the lack of mention his clan recieves in the tale.

The scaring across his eye marks him out as a member of the Jonstown confederation, and he shouts that you will regret the lack of mention you made of his tribes glorious conquest of the wolfmen.

You fall asleep surrounded by alynx fur and contented purring. Unfortunately you awake to find a carnyx blowing far too close to your sleeping point. You hurredly get dressed and stumble almost directly into the wagon train. It is already on the move, even as you put on your boots and hop into the mass of people associate with the caravan. You find yourself in the centre, alongside a large cohort of bull warriors, all nursing similar hangovers. But one, a tall Esrolian unless you miss your guess, is bellowing orders at far too high a volume at them to get in line. You focus on the floor and feel the magic warp and shift around you as you exit Boldhomes main gate.

Your roll of 3 is a failure, boosted to a success by your Mastery of poetry, versus my result of 9 (which is a success at a higher level) thus meaning a slight loss of face. Take a -1 ongoing in the future when dealing with the thanes of the Jonstown confederation.

Much to Sleipneir disgust it looks as if you are riding next to the Grazer pony leader, who seems to be the only one among that particular group to actually be riding a horse. How very odd. Still you find yourself at the forefront of the caravan as you make your way out of Boldhome. Garlands and flowers coat the streets, men and women cheer from the dwarf made windows of housing, even some of the Dragon Newts are there, dancing to see you off.

You try to look into the skein of magic that stretches before you, your eyesight dimming as you see the runes spreading out around you. You exhale your breathe and try to see if anything blocks the path ahead. The road beneath your feet glows with power of the law rune, with the air rune inside of it. You try and turn your sight outward to look futher, beyond the mountains and find that everything becomes blurrier and blurrier, you see earth and death runes intersecting at some point in the future and the dread shape of the chaos rune, but little beyond that.

Your 19 is a failure that is then bumped up to a success due to your mastery of magic. That is then higher than my roll of 10 (also a success) giving you a Marginal Victory this grants you some insights into what is coming, but nothing that you can really use too much use at the moment.

Dumnbunny posted:

Irillo, ambitious trader

Your mastery of the fine arts of wine selling is well rewarded with a small amount of the sort of nodding you get when people don't know why they like something, but feel like they should. Several members of the party, in particular the queen, seem quite taken with the brew and you hear a great deal of pleased talk coming from Geo which will do a huge amount of good for your sales in the future if you can set up a trade relationship with Sartars favorite barkeep.

Your trade goods are packed and stowed as the night draws on and you find a warm spot close to your own caravan before you drift into sleep. You awaken to the sound of thundering horns and you scrabble to grab at your Ebon spear before you realise it is not a training deal at the house of Arkat, merely a trade caravan.

You rush out and head among the throng of people, storing the goods you brought on the caravan you had arranged and tipping the boy who placed it in their a single clack for his trouble. You find yourself walking alongside a man who you are concerned to see is dressed as a sun domer. His very presence makes your eyes itch and you find that even the glasses you wear are proving somewhat unable of keeping the glow from his armour out.

Making an impression: 1d20 8 - Failure bumped to a success.
Making an impression - resistance: 1d20 10 - Success.
With this Minor Victory you may take a +2 augment on a roll to persuade anyone in Sartar to trade with you on favourable terms.

To everyone, the current route has you going between Boldhome and The Shaker Temple is something like this, will be marking down where you encounter certain things, so I advise you all to get prepped. Your first stop is going to be on the road to Jonstown (probably)

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 2, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

It always good to be on the move and Kalan's feet fall into a steady loping rhythm that easily keeps pace with the laden wagons while seeming to require no effort at all. Lucky doesn't like crowds, so Kalan isn't surprised when he scrambles up the side of a tumbledown wall and disappears to hunt rats and doves among the rooftops. He'll come back sooner or later, he always does.

It feels good to be stretching his legs, but Kalan is in no mood to relax. His head is pounding, the whole road smells like dung (several dozen pack animals will do that), and those drat Uroxi will not shut up. "Watch where you're bellowing, friend!" Kalan calls out to the big one, "You're liable to wake the dead and they need all the beauty sleep they can get!"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

The head of the column suits him fine. He takes a deep breath and stretches as they exit Boldhome, spreading his arms and looking up as though greeting the sky. The city had been home for quite some time, but it always felt good to be back in the expanse. He looks beside him at the strange outlander who has also been positioned at the head of the column. He remembered seeing the other horse in the stables but had more pressing matters on his mind at the time. He presses his hands together, one fist into the palm of his other hand and bows his head toward the creature.

"Greetings horse-friend. You are not of the grazelands, but I can tell you are certainly smarter than the other ground-person horses in this caravan. My name is Aldsen, and this is my horse-brother Yacul."

Yacul gives a short whinny, a greeting. Aldsen then looks up to Zzur, "And greetings to you outlander. I am called Aldsen Bur, the change-lover."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zzurekern

Zzur scowls at Slepneir and taps him on his head until he tosses it in a perfunctory greeting. "Don't mind him, he hates being around anyone as pampered as he is."

His horse gives an annoyed snort.

"Besides, we've been away from home for a while, he misses it. I'm surprised to see so few true horses here. I thought the Sartarites valued them more, but I guess they need them less with these roads."

The sorcerer gestures at the road. "Have you seen how it's made? Whatever else he was, Sartar was quite talented. I've hardly ever seen power of the moving Burtae solidifed into Earth like this, and never by the ways of the Law."

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Irillo busies himself with his horse's bridle and other accoutrements; everything is fine with them, of course, he just doesn't want to look at ... that! A sun domer! Well, isn't that just a boot to the bolgs.

When the caravan starts moving, that thrice damned carnyx adding to the headache the domer's armour is causing, Irillo mounts up. "I hadn't thought to see a Yelmalion in Boldhome," Irillo says, trying to keep his tone even, but aware of how tense and brittle it must sound. "Elmali, sure, of course. Maybe even grazers. Yelmalion, though ... that's ... that's something special. You simply must tell me how you came to be here."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Belisleron the Bound

From his own spot in the caravan, a few places back, Belisleron watched Andrist Andrinson, and considered what little he knew about the boy. Well, first thing he shouldn't call the boy a boy, Andrist was recently initiated as an adult as the storm barbarians did things. Hadn't yet joined a cult, and some degree of argument over where he was predicted to end up had only avoided coming to blows when people start BETTING on the matter (again, barbarians.) After all, the more people were betting on something else, the better one's own payout. Somewhat surprisingly... Lhankoring was a big contender... which put coming along with the caravan in an unexpected light. Desire for knowledge instead of a thirst for adventure?

At the moment Andrist was engrossed in conversation which the Redsmith on a mule beside him that Andrin had sent along with his portion of the caravan. That was certainly a risky move, with what Belisleron understood of their rarity. Did he not trust the quality of tarshite metal?

Dumnbunny posted:

When the caravan starts moving, that thrice damned carnyx adding to the headache the domer's armour is causing, Irillo mounts up. "I hadn't thought to see a Yelmalion in Boldhome," Irillo says, trying to keep his tone even, but aware of how tense and brittle it must sound. "Elmali, sure, of course. Maybe even grazers. Yelmalion, though ... that's ... that's something special. You simply must tell me how you came to be here."

Belisleron was pulled out of these thoughts when addressed by the man he had been trying VERY HARD to pretend he was not walking alongside. Who was asking about the ONE subject that made smalltalk with a trollfriend seem like a good time. Well, at the very least it could be good practice for seeming like he was a poor Yelmalion, not a... For seeming like he was a poor Yelmalion in a different way than he actually was. And as luck would have it, he actually had a true story that might drive an impious Yelmalion to run off to the storm barbarians.
"When I was just a boy, my older sister, herself not a proper adult, in a fit out youthful foolishness got it in her had that she wanted to join the lunar way. Now, you wouldn't agree I'm sure, scurrying around at your grandmother's command, but my father knew she couldn't be trusted to such a decision. But when he and my uncles and older cousins went to fetch her back, the lunars fought! No respect for a man's responsibility for his women."
"They're storm barbarians but at least they hate the red moon."

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Kanvath the Bullock

Kanvath drops back a bit. Secure in the knowledge that if Chaos was waiting outside the gates of Boldhome, that these fine Bullmen could deal with it. He offers an apologetic smile to Kalan. "Trust me, they won't be silent until something else gets their attention. But once it does, you'll be glad to have put up with their noise. Of course, what they expect to find so close to a city is beyond me. I am Kanvath, called the Bullock by others."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

Kalan laughs, "You might be surprised. I once saw a Walktapus devouring sheep not an hour's walk outside of the walls of of Wilmskirk. The other travelers ran off to fetch the Bull men, so I was the only one who saw the furious Nevala priestess come stomping out of her hut and whack the beast right in the maw until it let out a piteous cry and ran off into the forest. Afterward, the Sheep woman denied everything and no one else believed my version of the story, but I swear I couldn't make something like that up. There are probably still people in Wilmskirk who call me 'Kalan Tall Tale,' but I prefer Kalan Four Winds, personally. It's more poetical." He sticks out his hand in greeting, "Well met, Kanvath."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

On the Road to Bagnot

The Royal road stretches in front of you all, twisting over mountain passes that a few short years ago would have been entirely impassable. The days fall into a regular rhythm of walking, talking and occasional boasts among the thanes guarding it.

It also gives you time to appreciate how many people are here, all of them are people on some sort of mission be it the Scald and traders, or the warriors guarding things for the sake of their Kings. There are 4 large caravan pulled by oxen, surrounding them are several teams of mules carrying trade goods, and one particularly irritated High Llama is even carrying some stuff from Prax for the king. The flame is bright on top of the first caravan, kept contained in a special lantern to allow the light of Sartar to travel anywhere.

Your descent is pleasant as the kings road wends its way through Jonstown and on towards Dangerford.

If you need to make any purchases of anything in particular whilst in Jonstown, stuff you want to augment yourselves, please roll your wealth level vs an average check.

It has taken you almost a week to reach here and, other than some tribal raiding groups that suddenly became very interested in the woods at the side of the road, you have had little to trouble you. As you approach the ford though you become somewhat nervous, the royal watchtowers here are yet to be manned and the road itself begins to turn back into a trade road, worse than that Zzurekern you begin to notice broken branches and twigs that make you feel less and less comfortable.

The burning ruin of one of the towers is all the warning you get before a shout comes up from a hunter fleeing the forest "Tuskers! Get the wagons in!" There is screaming up ahead and a gang of almost 30 tusk riders bolt from the undergrowth, whooping and screaming as they charge at the wagons.

What do you all do?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

(Gonna use this portrait since he's having a bad day.)

Tusk riders and in broad daylight no less! It's times like these that true heroes get to test their mettle... but Kalan is not a true hero. He doesn't know war magic or have anything more than the most rudimentary understanding of the fighting arts. His walking stick is just a walking stick. He can't outrun the beasts, so instead he starts looking for the best cover he can find. By the time the warriors have readied their weapons, he's already rabbiting for the nearest hiding place, gathering up any flatfooted noncombatants in his way and dragging them to safety.

[I'm gonna leave it up to you exactly where he winds up hiding. Maybe with one of the caravans or behind a fallen tree or something. Whatever fits the scene and my die roll.

5M Let's get out of here!: 1d20 2

Oh dear...

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Irillo is aghast at the swarm of vile tusk riders and their great, foul beasts. He spares a glance for any nearby solars, sees none but realizes he has little choice in the matter in any event. He calls to mind the lessons of the Lead Grimoire, his hands making the sacred gestures, his mouth forming the sacred words, all the while nearby shadows -- from under a wagon, next to a horse, even from Irillo's feet -- run together like dark rivulets, coalescing. The resulting dehori moves forward to meet the attackers approaching this section of the caravan, leaving heavy frost in it's wake.

Summon Dehori 2W - Repelling tusker attack: 1d20 10 - Failure bumped to a success by the mastery

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Kanvath the Bullock

Kanvath curses, not enough time to form a shield wall; and the other Bullmen aren't planning for one either, already whooping and charging. Resigned to this fight, he unslings his shield from his back, takes hold of his spear in one hand and charges the Tuskers. As he charges he bellows a war cry "Alala!" hoping to inspire his companions, and terrify the tuskers, before either side can draw blood.

Using Terrifying Battlecry 6W to augment my warrior keyword. 7 a failure, bumped to a success, depending on resistance.
He will then use his warrior keyword to fight at 1W (Plus any modifiers from the augment.) 4.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zzurekern

Zzurekern draws his blade the second the Tusk Riders burst from the forest. This is nothing compared to a raid by the Kingdom of War. With only a quick, muttered word, he spurs his mount forward, and his weapon bursts into violet flame. "Come on Grazer, they've got no discipline! Countercharge!"

Countercharging with Man-of-All 1W, augmented by wreath sword in flames 7W:
wreath sword in flames 7W: 1d20 13
Man-of-All 1W: 1d20 2
Bonuses up to you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Kalan

Oh dear...

Don't worry that is actually a really good roll, remember that the lower you roll the better it can be!
http://orokos.com/roll/399246
You get a Success, bumped up to Critical because of mastery, against a success. Giving you a minor victory and 1 points towards the successful defence

Current Standing
Caravan: II

Tusk Riders: 0

Tindalos posted:

Kanvath the Bullock

Using Terrifying Battlecry 6W to augment my warrior keyword. 7 a failure, bumped to a success, depending on resistance.
He will then use his warrior keyword to fight at 1W (Plus any modifiers from the augment.) 4.

We are going to be using the (divide keyword by 4 to use as an augment), so your result is a success, bumped to a crit
http://orokos.com/roll/399249
Success, but not a critical

Current Standing

Caravan: IIII

Tusk Riders: 0

Dumnbunny posted:

Irillo, ambitious trader

Summon Dehori 2W - Repelling tusker attack: 1d20 10 - Failure bumped to a success by the mastery

Let us see what the raiders do
http://orokos.com/roll/399252
Success, but your roll is higher!

Current Standing

Caravan IIIII

Tusk Riders : I

wiegieman posted:

Zzurekern

Countercharging with Man-of-All 1W, augmented by wreath sword in flames 7W:
wreath sword in flames 7W: 1d20 13
Man-of-All 1W: 1d20 2
Bonuses up to you.

[i]Going to be doing simple additions, so you are at a success for Man-of-All boosted to a Crit because of Mastery. Dang, you guys are crushing it against these guys!
http://orokos.com/roll/399255
Another Success, which still doesn't do enough damage to you guys!

Current Standing

Caravan: IIIIIII

TuskRiders: I

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 4, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

A peculiarity that Zzur would have noticed about Aldsen is that every morning before they broke camp the grazer would build a small fire and appear to pray at it for a few minutes. The reason for this becomes obvious as Aldsen charges after the Man-of-All and draws his bow from a saddle-bag. The bow is appears charred, as though it had been pulled from a large fire. It seems like it should snap at the slightest pressure, but when Aldsen notches and arrow and draws it back the arrow also begin to char and burn, as invisible flames wrap around it.

"Follow my arrows, I'll try to scatter their charge!" He yells to Zzur, then whispers to his bow, "Time for battle, Hoback, quite a feast for you."

The first arrow loosed shimmers with heat, enough to panic and enrage something as common as a boar...

Aldsen will use his final charm, Ghostflame Arrows, to shoot at the boars in the middle of the charge to catch them on fire/hurt them/panic them so the whole charge is disordered and easier to fight.

I already sent Josef this charm, and I think I'll use it now since the taboo thing makes it a bit different from holding onto a spare ability.

Charm 5: Ghostflame Arrows +1
A spirit of heat living in the bow imbues arrows fired from it with magical, lightless fire.
Taboo: Must light a fire every day.

Roll vs: 12W
Ghostflame Arrows: 1d20 6
If I understand it right, this is a Success (6 < 12), bumped to a Critical (Mastery), then you roll and decrease these effects as appropriate?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Aldsen

Roll vs: 12W
Ghostflame Arrows: 1d20 6
If I understand it right, this is a Success (6 < 12), bumped to a Critical (Mastery), then you roll and decrease these effects as appropriate?

That is indeed how it works!
http://orokos.com/roll/399260
Jesus that was close there, success to the Tusker, but not enough

Current Standing:

Caravan Score: VIIII

Tusker Score: I

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Belisleron the Bound

With some degree of guilt, at a betrayal-in-the-heart of his lord, and then shame, at feeling guilt towards an Orlanthi, Belisleron actually cheers up a little at the prospect of a simple fight against a proper enemy. Trolls were not particularly common outside of Zoraki attempt to perform the Hill of Gold at the Hill of Gold itself, but tusk riders were a much more foolish bunch and ranging that far was not unheard of. When feeling lost, there was nothing like a familiar enemy. Careful to stay near young Andrist, he joins the fight.

This is textbook fighting against darkness creatures: 8 vs 4W, Failure bumped up to Success by Mastery.
(Considered augmenting with Phalanx but felt like it wasn't even a stretch, wouldn't have made a different but a ruling on that would be nice for future reference)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Belisleron the Bound

This is textbook fighting against darkness creatures: 8 vs 4W, Failure bumped up to Success by Mastery.
(Considered augmenting with Phalanx but felt like it wasn't even a stretch, wouldn't have made a different but a ruling on that would be nice for future reference)

Once again your Victory is larger against the success of the Tuskers!
http://orokos.com/roll/399590

Final Score

Caravan: X

Tusk Riders: II

The battle is not a fight so much as a massacre. Kalans quick shouts raise any of the paralyzed traders into immediate action, they run for cover and turn the caravans into a temporary circle, providing a brilliant fighting point for the rest of the group. Who do their job with considerable aplomb. Irillio's darkness allies pour forth from the caravans shadows, utter fear gripping the hearts of the tuskers as their blood freezes in their veins and their sanity shatters under the freezing assault.

Kanvath and his bullmen live up to their name, charging directly into the fray, in one particular contests Kanvath punches a tusk riders mount so hard that its skull shatters, his blade catching the skull of the screaming half troll that comes barrelling into the charge. Zzurekern's violence is perhaps less visceral but no less effective, as he strikes down mount after mount before stabbing upwards at their riders. Aldsens arrows have already made light work of much of the centre, the disorganization among the tusk riders making them easy prey for the rest of the party and, in one particular case, catching one particularly angry looking shaman right in the eye.

Belisleron's charge and attack is all that is needed to finish the Tusk charge, as he gleams like a new dawn and striking out at the riders left and right, leaving spitted boars and crippled riders in his wake.

All at once the fight is over. The rider charge has been utterly broken and of the 30 apparent tusker charges almost 25 have fallen to the furious defense of the wagons. One or two are crippled and cowering in the dirt and perhaps 3 are fleeing for the hills. This victory is greated with cheers from within the caravan and you can expect to gain a great deal of renown from this overwhelming victory.

However a question arises among many of the trade group, the tusk riders usually would never attack a heavily armed band like this unless they were either desperate or stupid.

Do you wish to interrogate any of the crippled tusk riders? Do you want to loot any of their bodies (this will be seen as distasteful in the extreme)? If anyone has any ideas do write in! Will be adding more pictures to this post later. Once you reach Dangerford (maybe another 4 hours of travel if you run ahead) you can be sure of safety.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

Kalan crawls out from under one of the carts and brushes the dirt off his robes. The battle was a bit quicker than he'd expected and now he feels faintly embarrassed. A familiar hissing catches his attention and he looks over to see a gray alynx snarling and spitting at a dying boar, clawing at its exposed viscera as it tries futilely to rise. He doesn't know if Lucky brought the beast down himself or is merely moving in on someone else's kill, but he's always hated seeing cats play with their food, so he calls the cat back and steps around the pooled blood to get behind the boar. The boar isn't able to move its head enough to raise its tusks at him, so it is a simple matter for Kalan to draw his knife (normally used only for cutting meat) and slit the beast's throat. As he does so, he murmurs a prayer he heard once that should translate to "Gouger's mercy little one," but he has no idea if he said it right.

A wet cough leads him to the boar's rider, who is splayed behind a tree, gravely injured. He prods the half-man with his walking stick to see if he's conscious and asks, "Why are you here?"

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Satisfied the fight is over, Irillo releases the dehori to return home before it causes problems. He starts wandering the length of the caravan to see if there is any damage or any injuries, his spear at the ready in case there's a living tusk rider not as injured as he let on, but the caravan's victory seems rather absolute. In his wanderings, he happens upon Kalan questioning a rider. He stops a short distance behind him; Kalan seems to have this in hand.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zzurekern

With the enemy fleeing or dead, Zzur turns to more important work, moving up and down the caravan and applying his skill at healing.

healing the wounded (harmony 20): 1d20 18

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Kanvath the Bullock

After battle, while the others celebrate, help each other, or question survivors. Kanvath is busy looking at the slain Tusk Boars. He pokes one with his spear, as if unsure over its death. He remembers when he was but a boy, when some boars would strike even when others swore they were gone. He also ponders how well one would taste. He decides against it before asking any others. After all, they'd have to carry the boar to Dangerford, and who knows what the riders fed them. Or even how they'd view such an act. He knew the boar-men who'd shown up back home had viewed the boars as kin, would it be desecration?

As he wanders around the field, he comes across Belisleron the Bold. "Ho! You held your spear and shield well in that battle, a hoplite? It'd been a while since I saw a man who could form a proper phalanx. Tell me of your deeds, so that I might know who I would fight alongside"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

Aldsen surveys the battlefield, brow furrowed. Tusker raiders weren't particularly intelligent, but they weren't suicidal either. He looks at the trail the boars had carved through woods and decides to see what might have driven the tuskers to attacking such a difficult target. Gives a wave to Zzur as the westerner rides back to the caravans, "I'm going to go look for a source of this attack. Don't wait for me, I'll catch up."

He raises his bow in salute to the other horseman before directing Yacul into the underbrush, old talents as a mounted scout coming back easily. If there was some larger force that was driving the Tuskers forward, Aldsen wanted to know what it was. He had faith that Yacul could get them back in time to warn the caravan, if necessary...

Assigning one of my remaining abilities to "Scout +1," a Breakout ability from Warrior (Light Cavalry) +17. Makes sense that a light cavalry loner type like Aldsen would get thrown in front of/away from everyone else.

I want to follow the Tusker's path back to where it starts and look to see if there is a bigger gribbly/force that kind of pushed the Tuskers into the raid and then ride back to report it. So I have Light Cavalry: Scout +18, and I'm going to augment that with Yacul's Goldeneye Grazeland Pony +3W. The Goldeneyes are renowned as some of the fastest horses in Glorantha, and Yacul is a particularly fine specimen. So he'll be able to get us out of trouble and back to the caravan to warn them in time if it is necessary.

So that's 18 + 23/5 = 18 + 4.6
The 4.6 rounds up to 5.
So I'm rolling at a total of 23 = 3W for this scouting mission.
Scout (Augmented with Yacul) 3W: 1d20 5 Close. So that's a failure, bumped to a success by the mastery, assuming I did all of that right.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Kalan

A wet cough leads him to the boar's rider, who is splayed behind a tree, gravely injured. He prods the half-man with his walking stick to see if he's conscious and asks, "Why are you here?"

The tusker looks up at you, eyes bleary with pain and hatred. "Wakboth take you, weakling runners." he tries to spit at you and succeeds merely in spraying himself with blood. His face is a contorted mask of pain as he looks around and sees the dead and dying forms of his warband, already being picked over by some enterprising caravan members, who are maneuvering the large amount of boar bodies out of the way.

"We fight for the life of the tooth. Anti-life will come and eat your guts. You and all your kind"
his last words, as it happens, as you hear the death rattle escape from his throat.

wiegieman posted:

Zzurekern

With the enemy fleeing or dead, Zzur turns to more important work, moving up and down the caravan and applying his skill at healing.

healing the wounded (harmony 20): 1d20 18

It's only light injuries at most, as you have made utter mincemeat of the Tuskers, so we should have it at a slightly easier difficulty resistance.
http://orokos.com/roll/399889
And thats a fail from me, so everyone's wounds are healed on the wagon train
Just as a quick thing though Harmony can only be used for healing magics if you have really learned how to do it properly, and I would doubt that Men-of-All would get that much training, would probably apply a stretch penalty on getting it to do any healing stuff. Saying that though, you still would have won.

You spend some time seeing to any among the carvaneers who were injured, but in truth there is very little you need to do most of the caravan was barely even scratched in the fray, and those that were are the unfortunate victims of friendly fire. The worst wound in the whole caravan is removing and healing a wound caused by a young man firing an Esrolian crossbow and hitting his friend in the foot with it.

professor_curly posted:

Aldsen
So that's 18 + 23/5 = 18 + 4.6
The 4.6 rounds up to 5.
So I'm rolling at a total of 23 = 3W for this scouting mission.
Scout (Augmented with Yacul) 3W: 1d20 5 Close. So that's a failure, bumped to a success by the mastery, assuming I did all of that right.[/i]

That is the right way of doing it, thanks for showing it! I am just sorry about the outcome mate!
http://orokos.com/roll/399892
So thats a critical with your mastery cancelled out by my one. So yours is a failure I am afraid. That is a Major Defeat

You begin scouting to see where it was the Tuskers came from. But the worst has happened, as you move along the track prints to try and find their source you notice that the ground is becoming unmarked, as if the boars just appeared out of thin air, indeed it starts to look as if they were literally vomited out of the earth herself. You also notice a terrible stink upon the wind, but trying to follow it leaves you turned around and lost inside the forest. It's also becoming obvious that the bird song is getting quieter, and can you hear a rumbling on the edge of hearing?

It is made worse by suddenly how lost you find yourself, even as you begin to retrace your steps you know that you will not be able to tell the others much that was useful about even what direction the tuskers were coming from.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

Kalan winces a little.. Dying words have strange power, everyone knows that. Besides, he never much cared for blood.

He looks up to see the strange foreign trader standing behind him. He has not spoken to Irillo yet, but the man seems friendly enough. Still, there is something about him that Kalan finds troubling. It is said that all life is a story and each man has a role to play, but something tells him that the gods didn't cast this man in the role he's currently playing. Also, he seems to have frost on his boots. Still, there's no harm in a little conversation, right?

"Well, that was ominous," Kalan tries to play it off as a joke, but his eyes aren't smiling, "Anti-life could mean the undead... we're not that far from the Marsh as the crow flies, but I think he probably meant Chaos. As for whether he was warning us, cursing us, or just taking one last piss into the wind before he croaked, your guess is as good as mine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Josef bugman posted:

That is the right way of doing it, thanks for showing it! I am just sorry about the outcome mate!
http://orokos.com/roll/399892
So thats a critical with your mastery cancelled out by my one. So yours is a failure I am afraid. That is a Major Defeat

You begin scouting to see where it was the Tuskers came from. But the worst has happened, as you move along the track prints to try and find their source you notice that the ground is becoming unmarked, as if the boars just appeared out of thin air, indeed it starts to look as if they were literally vomited out of the earth herself. You also notice a terrible stink upon the wind, but trying to follow it leaves you turned around and lost inside the forest. It's also becoming obvious that the bird song is getting quieter, and can you hear a rumbling on the edge of hearing?

It is made worse by suddenly how lost you find yourself, even as you begin to retrace your steps you know that you will not be able to tell the others much that was useful about even what direction the tuskers were coming from.

Aldsen

Aldsen covers his face with his sleeve, his head spinning from the strange foul vapors. There is something very wrong about this place, about everything here. He listens to the rumbling, just on the edge of perception and grits his teeth. His body was failing, and his orientation was lost. He could be stuck here a very long time, but he doesn't have time for that. He made a promise to the Queen, and Aldsen does not make idle promises. The grazer calms his spirit and reaches for [b]hidden power[b/] deep within to lead him through this miasma and find his quarry.

He opens his eyes, and sees the Spirit World. Yacul was steady, he could handle the forest. Aldsen will instead look to other shores, other worlds. If he can't trace them in the physical world, he will trace this foe through the realm of spirits.

Completing the tutorial round, as I understand the rules I can now spend a Hero Point to bump my results after I've seen the outcome. This will leave me at 2 hero points / 3, and the book recommends describing some other skill or happenstance that leads to this new result. Aldsen is going to take a different tack and see if he can't track this rumbling and stench through the Spirit World and still get back in time for some kind of useful warning. So he might find something, but take too much time to for there to be a big prepared defense, or what have you.

So that bumps my Success to a Critical Success vs your Critical Success. These two cancel, but I rolled a 5 versus the 1, resulting in a marginal victory for me, which gives no mechanical bonus as a Consequence of Victory, but might have narrative impact later?

• Locked thread