Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Duckbag posted:

"Well, that was ominous," Kalan tries to play it off as a joke, but his eyes aren't smiling, "Anti-life could mean the undead... we're not that far from the Marsh as the crow flies, but I think he probably meant Chaos. As for whether he was warning us, cursing us, or just taking one last piss into the wind before he croaked, your guess is as good as mine."

Irillo moves the dead tusk rider's head with the butt of his spear, peering at the creature's features. "This is my first time seeing one. Before today, they were just stories carried south by caravanners and the like, odds and ends from the uz." He taps lightly on a tusk. "Of course I've heard the stories, the ones claiming they're half-human, half-troll; I don't know the truth of it, but this fellow certainly looks the part."

He pulls his spear back, letting the body's head loll to one side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A caravan Trail on the way to Dangerford- Windsday, Illusion Week, Fire season -1460

You gather up the caravan and begin making your way forward. Alden has returned looking somewhat nervous, apparently it appears like the Tuskers were not coming from their normal route out of the stinking forest, and that something terrifying beyond all reason may have been following them.

The caravan is nervous about this, and decide to make for the relative safety of Dangerford with an almost unseemly haste. You do find some odd things on the Tuskers though, one appears to have been carrying a bone dagger that has not stopped dripping and one has a small copper statuette that looks like a terrifying demoness of some kind. (Kalan would probably be the best of you to analyse them, if you want to ask questions about what they look like then go right ahead). Zzurken you and Alden move ahead of the caravan and clear anything out of the way, but at the moment there appears to be nothing approaching, only the lack of bird song and the feeling of eyes make this anything less than a normal trip.

On the road you make reasonably good time and find yourselves approaching the walls of Dangerford with an hour or so of daylight still with you. There are runners coming out of the town towards you, one of them is clearly wounded, but looks distinctly happy to see you all. "Hold a moment friends!" he calls out as he gives the traditional greeting of the lightbringers. Geo is on hand to talk to the town elders, when it becomes clear that all is not well in the town. "We are very grateful to see you all, but should there not be a few less caravans and a few more warriors?" Geo looks understandably confused "What are you talking about, we only set off from Boldhome about two weeks ago?" a sudden dread sits upon the face of the thane. "You did not receive the message! The kingdom must be warned, a vast horde has just been vomited out of Snake Pipe Hollow, Chaos is on its way!"

There is a moment of silence and then a terrified wail from the high llama, as if even it can smell what is coming upon the wind. There is immediate dissension among the caravan, what should be done, flight back to Boldhome and risk being hit of the road, or holding up in Dangerford? As they argue Alden you see that Yarista is looking at you an expression that you recognize as controlled fear on her face. Geo raises his arms for quiet and eventually receives it. The thane, whose name you find out later is Ormlanth, says that it is a large aberration, but not unsurprising as it has been about a decade since the last rising of chaos. "We have heard it thanks to a message from Larnste himself, even now as many warriors as possible are gathering at Herongreen for battle" Geo then turns to the rest of the caravan and raises his voice so that all might hear "This thane has told us that there is Chaos ahead to the North. I would advise that we send our warriors north with him and hole up here until the blight has passed." You can tell he may be no expert military man but he knows how to keep people calm. "I myself will help to provide peace and protection to Dangerford should the worst arise".

What do you do? You could make preparations to defend Dangerford, or try to convince the caravan to keep on the move north towards Herongreen, perhaps even do so on purpose to distract part of the Chaos army.

As part of your victory if you want to persuade the caravan that you can protect them I am adding a +9 augment to it, if you want to recruit as many warriors as possible from the tribes around dangerford I can also give you a +6 augment to that when they hear of your skills as warriors.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

Aldsen sees Yarista's look and gently nudges Yacul, who ambles over to the travelling wagon. While the others gather to yell and discuss their choices, Aldsen appraises the young woman before him. The princess of Boldhome, far beyond the watchful eyes of her divine father and the unyielding strength of her conquering mother. Now faced with the horrors of a wide, uncaring cosmos. What would she choose, here, now, that the path was not nearly so safe and direct as Sartar's roads had made it seem?

"I have two questions for you, princess. One you will answer me now, and the other you will answer me later." he states, with an authoritative tone that he had picked up from the Queen, "First, I want to know what it is you're really out here for. Why you wanted me to accompany you. What change do you wish to realize?"

He holds up a hand to prevent her response, "That you will tell me later. But right now, I need to know what you are willing to risk for it. How high a price will you accept? Because this road you've embarked on will not get easier, it will only become more difficult and the dangers more dire. Say the word and I will take you back to Boldhome, to the safety of your father and family. But if you think your life and soul are worth risking for whatever it is you seek, then I will do everything I can to see your task done. The choice is yours."

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

"We may be acting as merchant adventurers, but drat it all we're still adventurers and the kingdom needs us to help these people. Still, if there's a way to help them without getting slaughtered by Broo, I'd be open to it." Kalan has traveled this road before, but it was many years ago and the prospect of a looming Chaos invasion isn't helping his recollection. Still, he wracks his mind to remember the names of the local clans and their chieftains and especially the ones with plenty of warriors. His first goal is to get help for Dangerford, but if that fails, then having a place to lay low for a while might not be the worst idea. Once he's made a map of the local clans and points of interest in his head, he pulls out an old scroll and makes a quick sketch on the back. He murmurs to himself as he does this and for a moment he seems very far away. Then he goes and shows it to some of the locals and other travelers for verification and added detail. Finally, they have a map and so Kalan gathers up all the adventurous types he can find, shows them the towns and tulas that must have messengers sent to them, and waits for volunteers. Once they've set out, he'll pick one of the remaining spots (possibly a place where he knows someone) and hit the road himself.

Using Seasoned Wayfarer at 5W to get the lay of the land and potential allies and help people travel there without getting lost. I'll probably have to roll a different ability to actually get people to help us. Drawing a map 5W: 1d20 5

e: Kalan also looked at the loot we got.

[Using Truth: Identifying some junk 1W: 1d20 20

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 13, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zzurekern

There are times when Sleipneir reacts by some incredible sixth sense: that his master is about to get way, way in over his head. Then, there are the times when he doesn't even bother. Usually those are the times when he involuntarily stands up straight in the stirrups. And -- yes, these look like the standard issue defenseless townsfolk. It looks like Tarsh will have to wait.

Zurrekern balks at the reticence of the reticence of the caravan. "Well, what are we waiting for?! These are your countrymen and they need our help!" He dismounts and walks up to the clearly distressed elders. "Sirs, I know I am a stranger to this land, and I haven't been here long. But from what I've seen, the people of Sartar are fighters!"

Turning to the caravan, he says "Are you going to run from this fight, when there are people in need? Are you going to cower in the walls of a town not your own? Or will you come with us to rally the free people of Sartar to lance this festering boil before it consumes us?"

All in all, not too different from home.

Time to call up the militia! Using my Man-of-All keyword, since Zzur often whipped up a posse back home.
That's 1W +6, so:
rallying the townsfolk 7W: 1d20 20

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Irillo has no gift for rallying the troops, but he can support another's effort. He walks from the caravan to join Zurrekern, saying "I will join you. This is not my land, but Chaos must always be opposed, where ever it is found." He stands beside Zurrekern, planting his spear butt on the ground.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Belisleron the Bound

Chaos... for a moment, Belisleron is torn. Leaving the barbarians to their fates never factors into it: Everyone fights chaos, and with the mix you get in Saird he's no stranger to fighting chaos alongside hated foes. No, the problem is these aren't his orders, Accompany the caravan, look after the boy... not go fight off a chaos invasion. In the end, he has to content himself with focusing on the words of the man organizing the defenders, infusing them with Truth to make them incredibly difficult to disober.

More specific than just a general rally, Belisleron is magically making sure those whose job it is is to protect the town actually do so, dissuading any attempts at cowardice. Using Force Obedience 1W+1
Force obedience 2W: 1d20 1 loving LOL

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yarista looks back at you with something that might be respect, or possibly simple incredulity that you are questioning her. "I did not expect the Journey to be easy, defender sun. I am expecting it to be useful and to learn what it is to be without safety. The Earth teaches us that we cannot always rely on thick walls when the pre dark comes. She looks to the warrior woman who sits alongside her, the long handled axe now unslung. "I will be joining you in the defense of this town. We who ride and command cannot simply flee to safety."

The warrior woman alongside her reaches into the caravan and brings out her paint. Whilst you turn to listen to your companions rallying the people, you see her applying the red and black of Chaos killing to herself and the princesses.

Success Bumped to a Critical versus
http://orokos.com/roll/402446
Which is a success. So you gain a minor victory

As you scan the maps you find that there are several places that could be best served to lay ambushes and to scout out the incoming horde. The largest tribal grouping up here could actually be anyone as this area has proved somewhat poorer for farming than many of the lands to the south. One area that you do find that you help will be useful is to the North of the town of Herongreen. It is a small hillock covered with trees called "old elves hiding place". You mark it and remember to give it a once over when your companions have rallied the townspeople. You begun organising some of the local bravos into talking to local leaders to gather as many men to scout and keep ahead of the army that is coming forth.

You get a +3 advantage to give to any player if they attempt a scouting mission or an ambush of the Chaotic.

Fumble, bumped to a failure by the mastery versus
http://orokos.com/roll/402447
Which is a success. You suffer a Minor defeat

The objects you are handling prove to be a source of great puzzlement for you. You are unsure but you seem to think that the Bronze Statuette is of a chaos goddess, but surely the tuskers do not worship the pre dark? As for the knife, you think that it must be a troll artifact as it is made of bone, but why would it still be dripping blood? Could it be used for finding something?

I have given you hints as to the correct answers here and some false leads with regards to the objects. You do not know their purpose yet.

wiegieman posted:

Zzurekern

Time to call up the militia! Using my Man-of-All keyword, since Zzur often whipped up a posse back home.
That's 1W +6, so:
rallying the townsfolk 7W: 1d20 20

Oh dear, that's a fumble, but boosted to a failure by the mastery, versus
http://orokos.com/roll/402445
Which means we are now up against a success. Meaning we are on a Minor Failure

The attempt to win the hearts and minds of the populace is somewhat deaden by the fact that very few of the peasantry that surround you look too kindly on being addressed from horse back. Especially by a none Elmali. Especially by a none Elmali with no Tattoos and Especially, especially by someone telling them to defend people who were not of their clan!

We don't have to! Shouted a thane from the rear of the crowd. No one can make you do anything, shouted another. Their response was not what you would have hoped for, but it also wasn't thrown fruit or angry calls for your expulsion. These people were but newly part of a nation, and in no mood to irritate their rulers, but they were much less willing to risk their lives and very souls for anything as far off and strange as a royal family.

Dumnbunny posted:

Irillo, ambitious trader

The dark man speaks the truth says Geo, We must all bring about the defence against the Pre Dark, all of our lives and Souls rest upon it, to leave those to the North in danger is a grave threat to us all! There are some murmerings in favor of this as the crowd ponders the truth that might be present in the guest foreigners words.

reignonyourparade posted:

Belisleron the Bound

Force obedience 2W: 1d20 1 loving LOL

Holy poo poo our first Natural Critical Versus
http://orokos.com/roll/402445
Which is a success bumped down to a failure due to your Mastery giving you a Major Victory

Whilst the crowd is busy pondering how far they are willing to go to support their fellows across the river Belisleron forces the issue. He begins to glow and talk amongst the people, standing from the very steps of the caravan as he gives fresh impetus to the defence of their fellows. His glow moves throughout the people, forcing them to realise that they have to defend themselves and to not simply obey their chosen leaders. They all recognise Geo, they all realise that he can command them, and they all know that whoever he selects will be useful.

Seeing also the strong bullman contingent among the caravan many of the local thanes take up a chant of "Fight the Pre-Dark with Borne Light", though no know whose throat it came from.

All in all, not a bad turn out, you've gotten the people on side thanks to some amazing rolls by Belisleron.
Very well done guys, you've managed to get most of the crowd on side and the more adventurous among them are probably going to be able to help you out and defend not just their homesteads, but their fellows to the North!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 16, 2016

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Kanvath the Bullock

Kanvath laughs grimly. "I came north to fight Chaos. I did not realise it would come south to fight me." He looks at the other Uroxi. "I know our god calls to us, that soon the stench of Predark will fill our noses. But before we go off, we must prepare everyone here. We have no Bull Priest, so we must each perform the blessing rites. I will aid the shield wall, I leave you to your own devices."

He goes to track down where the fyrd are mustering. And shouts out a greeting. "Free men of Orlanth, the Bull has sent me here to aid you. Chaos-fear shall soon be upon us, and only the gift of the Bull is proof against their monstrosity. Urox sends his blessings." He pulls out his pair of pipes, and begins to play. As he plays, the winds seem to change, as if called by the music playing, they become hot and dry. The signs of the bull.

Kanvath will try and use his Eternal Battle Affinity 5W to help the fyrd Face Chaos without fear. 4.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

He smirks at the reaction. At least she didn't seem afraid anymore, which would be good for later. She was still the daughter of Sartar, and their fellow travelers might look to her for leadership during this. He looks back to the others and hears the speeches and inspirational words and the decision seems made. He looks back to Yarista, "I will spread word of the oncoming storm to the surrounding tribes and clans, and rally a great force here to march North. May I borrow one of your father's banners?"

Assuming the princess gives one of the banners of her family, Aldsen will set off. He'll ask a few people in town where the nearest clans and tribes are, and will ride off in that direction, into the coming night. He and Yacul will travel through the darkness, seeking out the lights of homes and settlements nearby. As he enters the villages and clans he will hold aloft the banner of Sartar and give his warning,

"Chaos comes! A great monstrosity rises from the Snake Pipe, and all must stand against it! Send riders to your families and kin and gather for battle against the great enemy of all! Warriors, ride for Dangerford, where an army prepares to face the monsters on open field. Warriors from Boldhome are already there and Princess Yarista, daughter of Sartar, helps prepare the defenses. Messengers to the four winds! Assemble your kin and countrymen! Chaos comes, and all with the bravery to face the ancient enemy ride for Dangerford! Let nothing stand in your way!"

He would raise the standard again before riding off, asking directions and following paths where possible. Sometimes just riding toward lights, trying to warn and rally everyone around where lesser horses than Yacul might have failed to reach. He would keep running through the night and morning, trying to time it so that he will arrive back to Dangerford when the warriors there will be setting off...

The Redcoats Chaos are coming! The sky is falling! Aldsen will use his Firebrand charm to help inflame the spirits of those he meets in the night, getting everyone he meets pumped and ready to assemble their warriors to Dangerford and send riders to their friends and family to warn them as well. Gonna name-drop Yarista since hearing that Sartar's blood is involved should still hold some sway/power to get people motivated.

Firebrand w/ Yacul 17W (3W2 if I can get bonus +6): 1d20 4
So 4 < 17 = Success, bumped to a Crit by the mastery. If I get the +6 bonus as well, then I get another bump up/bump the opposing result down? Anyway a good roll so far.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So that's a Success Bumped to a critical because of the mastery I think you can just have the victory for the defence at this point!

Kanvath's pipes makes the wind blow in unassuming patterns, but each man and woman on the field feels to change in their bones. They know that their gods will not abandon them, they know that they can stand strong in the face of danger and against the awful pressure of the Chaotic. They will defend their homes to the death and beyond against the coming flood.

professor_curly posted:

Aldsen
The Redcoats Chaos are coming! The sky is falling! Aldsen will use his Firebrand charm to help inflame the spirits of those he meets in the night, getting everyone he meets pumped and ready to assemble their warriors to Dangerford and send riders to their friends and family to warn them as well. Gonna name-drop Yarista since hearing that Sartar's blood is involved should still hold some sway/power to get people motivated.

Firebrand w/ Yacul 17W (3W2 if I can get bonus +6): 1d20 4
So 4 < 17 = Success, bumped to a Crit by the mastery. If I get the +6 bonus as well, then I get another bump up/bump the opposing result down? Anyway a good roll so far.

Okay, so we are rallying the shires and yes the 3W2 applies with the bonus. So with the 4 that is a success bumped to a critical with one of them, followed by a
http://orokos.com/roll/402913
Success on my behalf bumped down to a failure. Thus giving you a Major Victory

Yacul's hooves streak like fire around the villages, running until the hooves are a constant blur of motion. And motion is the watchword, as everyone Aldsen goes there is support. Isolated farmsteads to the south, hearing of the invasion of tuskers have already handed out the spears find themselves marching in rag tag order to Dangerford. To the West spirits of the people find a sudden spark rising within them and travel to Dangerford unknowing of the reason until they approach. To the North men man baricades and swear that they will ride with you should you pass by. And all around people look admiringly at Yacul and Aldsen, seeing potentials for victory there.

Two days Later- Wildsday, Illusion Week, Fire Season

You are all gathered in the long house at the centre of dangerford, calculating the resources you have at your disposal. You have at least 30 professional weaponthanes with you hopefully going up to about 100 before you reach Herongreen. It is indeed fortunate that Chaos has awoken during the Fire season as even now you are getting the help of frydmen and women from across the region. You hope that with your combined might you may have about 1500 people ready to repel any chaos that is coming.

At the moment though you have a choice to make. The town ring has convened and, in concert with Kalan, has worked out several places to assault the boiling mass. One of their number, a Kolatling, has said that he has seen the horde that has come forth and has seen their screaming prey driven before them in spirit form. He and several others wish you to try and summon the foe using a summons of evil ritual on the Old Elfs Hill to North of Dangerford and to the South East of Herongreen. Near the Skull ruins. Someone suggests that there might be better places for it, or that their may be terrors if there are more powerful demons among the usual Broo and Scorpion men.

What do you all vote for?
a) Move North and Ambush using a Ritual at the hill
b) Stay where you are and risk arriving at herongreen too late. But with more troops
c) Choose your own option!

Also as a addition for drat fine roleplaying, everyone can take a rating of 13 with the people you have recruited for a heropoint.

However there may be further consequences for becoming tied to these people in the upcoming conflict if you are forced to send them into danger!

The next contest, whatever you all decide to do, will be a contested roll series in order to strengthen the stakes. Be prepared that even with preperation it may well be harder from here on out.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

Kalan winces when the Kolatling suggests the ritual and says, "Bad King Urgrain wanted glory in battle, so he used the Summons of Evil, and ice demons took his cattle." He sighs and rubs his temples, "Still, it's the best plan we've got. Old Elfs Hill is quite steep with large boulders and big trees as natural defenses. It should hold, However, this ritual concerns me. The Summons is a compact we make with our ancestors and the local spirits and is not infallible. Should the ritual fail, or the Chaos spirits prove too powerful to control, then the horde will simply swarm around the hill and attack the undefended villages. What's more, we will lose the favor of our ancestors and our battle magics will be weakened. Even if we do succeed in summoning them, it may be a long siege and other enemies might attack these lands in the meantime. I suggest we have two forces. One to hold the hill,. and a smaller, more mobile force to defend the villages or attack the Chaos armies from their flanks."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

At the meeting, Aldsen will speak up. Unsurprisingly, he is in favor of action. However there is an insurance plan he would suggest.

"I say we move immediately for the elf-hill and conduct this ritual. We can set up the ambush properly once we get the lay of the land ourselves. Even if the ritual fails, I believe we will be able to taunt and harass the horde into our trap with arrows and javelins. However, I also say that we send messengers north to Herongreen and any villages we know of that I could not warn, telling them to muster their soldiers, to also march to the battle. As warriors continue to arrive in Dangerford, we will give them similar orders. Wait until there is a sizable body of soldiers, then march north. We will light signal fires at the ambush site, to guide in the relief armies. We will entice the horde into a singular body and pull them into our trap. If we shatter chaos forces, then the fresh troops will be invaluable in pursuing the surviving filth-creatures and scouring the lands for any hiding or stray creatures. If we are hard pressed, then they will strike from the north and the south and hopefully tip the battle back in our favor."

Agree with Kalan. Suggest sending word to Herongreen. Help from Herongreen combined with the stragglers marching from Dangerford might be necessary to tip this battle in our favor. Even if we win outright, fresh troops to look in every bush, overturn every stone, etc looking for Chaos. We don't want stragglers either.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Irillo feels a chill not entirely explained by the Darkness dripping from his Ebon Spear when the shaman mentions the possibility of demons. Broo and scorpion men can kill a person is various horrible ways, but death is not the end. Demons of chaos, though ... Irillo silently mouths the words he first heard from his old nan, "Chaos is oblivion."

Out loud he says "I agree, performing the ritual on Old Elfs Hill is best. This isn't the time for half-measures. And I agree that a reserve force -- whether we split it off initially, or rely on relief forces -- is wise. We cannot count on this army being a disorganized rabble mindlessly flinging their entire strength against our forces on the hill. They may have someone leading them, someone who would see the opportunity to split of a force of their own once we are occupied, sending them to sow destruction in the nearby farms and steads."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zzurekern

The hesitance of the locals was disheartening, but not unreasonable. As long as men were in thrall to false gods, they would never be able to come together on the road to Solace. Still, best not to bring it up. Besides, they knuckled under when the pikeman shouted at them anyway.

"If we have a way to force our enemy to give battle, we should use it. If we know where the fight is, we can prepare the ground and our forces to ambush the monsters as they come."

sorry it took me a while to respond, had work etc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

You all decide that attempting to summon the foes to you would be best. The caravaneers find their own parts to play, Geo is making additional preperations to contact Saronil, Yarista and her axe maiden are already getting out some of the more potent war paint and giving out blood beer containers to some of the local villagers. Thane Ormlanth is already being given some of the tribal rings Wyter to carry into the oncoming battle. All around is the smell of preperation and conflict, as you set off you are aware of people playing mourneful dirges as well as martial songs. It is perhaps a comment on your own ability to motivate the villagers that there is anyone willing to be martial and not simply to flee into the centre of Sartar.

Taking stock of your forces after a few days march North, to pick up as many men and materials as you can to face the foe, you find them as follows:

6 local Uroxi cultists, fine warriors who will be stablising your front lines and Berserking
2 Gorite Warrior Women, equipped with blood beer and long axes in the style of Tarsh.
25 Helamkt slingers, all preparing the thunderstone feat.
4 Humakti Thanes, the highest ranking one assisted by a trollkin who translates his gestures into trade talk as he is forbidden to speak.
150 Orlanthi frydmen and women, lead by Ormlanth who is chanting songs of valour and seems to be doing a good job of keeping morale up.
30 Clan followers, mainly Ernaldan but led by a Helering who represents the cleansing aspect of the God.
1 Yarista Sartarsdaughter, who has come bedecked in runic magnificence and with a fine horse. You do not know why just yet.
and finally: 1 Kolatling Shaman "Old Man Waters" who is tattooed a brilliant purple and has chosen to help open the way into the other side.

You make your way to the hill and find that there are about 6 trees still clustered atop it. "A good sign" says the shaman who begins to erect a 7th "tree" covered in Runes of anger and weakness in the centre of them. "Anti-life that creeps and crawls, know not what it is you fear? Fear and Doubt have made you yours, but will not take us far from here" The chant is taken up by the Shaman as he moves between the stones, banging his drum.

Kanvath and his bullocks speak quickly to the people that have gathered around, telling htem of the plan and how their presence may well distrupt the precarious summoning, they intend to lie in wait for the Chaos creatures as they approach, and attempt to siphon off some of the Chaotic power of the oncoming horde. Basileron has remained behind with Geo, knowing full well that he cannot leave the son of a Chieftan alone, and also knowing that the best of his magic is used for defence.

The Shaman chants and you begin to feel the middle world tearing and pulling, and the sounds of the darkness roll round you. You can taste something horrible upon the air, but you know that this ritual weakens what comes as well.

Would any of you like to step in and assist the Kolatling directly? If so quote now, otherwise I will be updating this later and you guys can choose to assist and, possibly, start seeing poo poo go down.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

Spirits are not all that different than humans, really. They are different from land to land, from time to time. They can be trustworthy, or exceptionally fickle. He wasn't going to put all his faith in the unfamiliar spirits of this spot.

As they pass villages riding North, he once more holds the standard of Sartar. When they pass villages Aldsen will ride up to them and give a great shout, calling on the warriors that had promised to ride to battle with them. Aldsen would choose two of the younger horsemen that arrive, eager but untested, and send them onward to Herongreen at all speed. Let their youth and eagerness drive them forward and call for aid, better that than to risk them panicking at a critical moment against an enemy not of this world.

When they reach the ritual site, Aldsen will make his own preparations. He will take a hatchet and call to the others to start collecting firewood and lots of leaves and branches. He will build the fire-mound on the far side of the hill from where they expect the Chaos creatures to come and orders those that will be staying to light the fire when the battle starts, then throw on the leaves and grass to produce a thick column of smoke. That will be a signal to everyone around - "We are here, and we are fighting."

Then Aldsen will gather some volunteers from the horsemen to go and find the oncoming horde and taunt them the old fashioned way - with arrows and javelins. If the ritual works, then this will only help draw the enemy in. If it doesn't... better to have a backup plan. He whispers to Yacul to be calm, and lead the other horses. Right now, if the riders were panicked and throwing javelins ineffectually, that didn't matter. It was the horses that needed to be calm in the face of the oncoming horde, and Yacul would have to be herd-leader for the other horses.

Going to get some light horse with me and go do some Hannibal/Numidian cavalry poo poo. So spending a Hero Point to solidify these guys as a +13, but more on that later. Aldsen is going to depend on Yacul's steadfastness to lead the other horses by example - if Yacul doesn't panic at the sight of these horde then the other horses will hopefully fall in line and not go crazy. If their riders aren't very effective, that's fine - we're not here to kill the enemy, we're here to piss them off and run them into a trap. If the horses don't panic, that'll be much easier. Aldsen will augment this with Light Cavalry to pick a good path. So that is 1W + 4 = 5W

Steadfast (Supplement w/ Light Warrior): 1d20 3 Success, bumped to a Critical with my mastery!

So the idea is we ride out, find the Chaos horde/creatures and then attack them from range, before retreating. We're going to tease the enemy into chasing us into the trap, either enhancing the ritual's effects directly or picking up where it failed if it doesn't work.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

The last time Kalan was in a battle this size, it left him an orphan. A man of a different temperament would see this as an opportunity to regain his honor, defend the innocent, and prove to himself and the gods that he wasn't a frightened child anymore, but Kalan is just scared. He knows he should be chanting and singing to keep the men's spirits up, but for most of their march, he can't seem to find his voice. Those around him sometimes notice him muttering to himself and looking furtively over his shoulder. He doesn't have to be here. He's not a warrior, no one is depending on him in this battle. He could always just turn around and go home. But he has no home anymore -- no cellar to hide in, no sacks of onions and radishes to press against the door, no blanket to shield him from cold and damp, no little candle to light the darkness, no earthen walls to muffle the screams.

A shrill cry pierces the air, and Kalan's reverie, and a raven falls from a tree above to land crumpled at Kalan's feet. Moments later, there is the softened sound of padded paws hitting pine needles and Lucky the alynx arrives to claim his kill and lay it at Kalan's feet. "Thanks,' he says flatly, "but I'm not hungry." He really should be though. He's hardly eaten all day and will need all the strength he can get for the coming battle, but it's hard to muster an appetite when the bad wind is blowing and there's a knot in your stomach the size of a rutabaga. Looking around, he sees that many of the other men and women arriving at the hill have sunken eyes, cold sweat, or skin tinted an anemic green. He's not the only one who didn't sleep well last night, nor the only one who could use a good meal. He may be too queasy to eat, but these warriors are surely made of sterner stuff. Many of them will soon be going to meet the gods and they deserve a better last meal than a few meager trail rations eaten in silence.

Kalan has been to many feasts in many halls. He has eaten stuffed pheasant and suckling pig with great thanes and slurped scanty cabbage soup with lowly stick-pickers. He's quaffed the six known drinks with the wind lords and supped on bread and water with the Lhankorings. From these experiences, and his own insight into the hearts of men, Kalan has learned a secret. It's not the quality of the food, not even the quantity that makes a meal satisfying, it's the company. Right now, these warriors are in good company, yet each is alone. The fear in their hearts and confusion in their eyes has cut them off from the world around them. Some have grown boisterous and boastful, others are withdrawn, anxious, or lost in dreams, but they are united in their self-involvement even as they are divided by it. It would take a minor miracle to get this disparate group, mostly scared half out of their minds, to feast and feel and fight as one. It's a lucky thing then, that they brought a poet.

Well the warriors are kitting up for battle, Kalan and a few of the other noncombatants root through the provisions finding the best food and drink available and distributing it among the gathering. As he does so, Kalan begins to recite a classic poem letting his words ring out in a way that complements rather than clashes with the Kolatling at the other end of the camp.

"In Orlanth's Age there came a day when the truth of life did bend.
Though gods and men be proud and strong and heavens do forfend,
all feared the eaters in the dark and the night that would not end.

Yet Storm King's hall did not go quiet and his tribe did not despair.
Though demons scurried o'er the earth and corruption filled the air,
Storm King cried 'Tonight we feast! For war I do declare!'"

The poem goes on like that for a while (though not as long as some of Kalan's other poems), telling the story of how the Lightbringers feasted and celebrated to get their spirits up before they went on their quest. Should Kalan's words have their intended effects, they will free the gathered warriors of the cage of their fears and allow them to eat, drink, and be merry one last time before they go to face chaos. Afterward they should feel well-fed, refreshed, and closer to their gods..

[Using Victualing Verbiage 3W inspire and strengthen the warriors and boost their morale. Victualing Verbiage 3W: 1d20 20. Hmm.]

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Irillo approaches the shaman. More than once he winces as he feels the tearing the world around him, pausing once or twice in his approach, but he does not falter, even when the wrongness he tastes and smells and feels threatens to overwhelm. He stands near the shaman, but out of his way. "Darkness is called the Waker from the Void, for it was the first element to pull itself from Chaos, from Oblivion, to take the right to exist. Since that time before Time, Darkness has been a most potent foe against Chaos. I am a son of Darkness; come and claim me if you can!" Irillo draws deep on his mastery of Darkness, feeling it's cold strength filling him, until his very form replaced by Darkness, "radiating" Darkness.

I was kind of stuck as to what to do, when this hit me. I'm going for kind of a "nyah nyah nyah" to Chaos. Using Take Darkness Form (2W) augmented by Darkness itself (1W):
Taking Darkness Form (7W) to Taunt Chaos: 1d20 9
So, failure bumped to a success, unless this is a stretch; I trust the GM will made any adjustments as he sees fit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Evening of Windsday, Truth Week, Fire Season

The hill you are stood on is flint, the trees are yeq, oak and ash in 2 lots of two. The hill itself is little more than a slight raise just outside the boundaries of the forest. It stands proud and aloof, apart from all around it and a prime place for power to gather. In the deepening twilight, as the priest begins to dance and bang the drum you feel the air move around and through you. The summons of Evil is one of the oldest stories known, it is where the foe is told to come to a specific point and weakened by its presence and the taunts of the Gods to render them destroyable in one place at one time. The kolatling shaman begins to move and Dance throughout the ceremony, striking out that things that are not there to your sight and intoning into the continuing darkness.

Here and now you feel the magic stirring, the world is split along its edge and each of you feel the Godsworld is present in this moment.

Aldsen

http://orokos.com/roll/408596

The Ride is hard for you Aldsen, you are sure that the Chaos is nearby and you and perhaps 7 of the weaponthanes are scouting around when you feel the change in the air from back at the camp. The sun seems to dim for just a moment and then, with a sound like shattering wood the first broo is already running towards your group. It would perhaps not be especially fearsome to a harden Praxian but some of the weaponthanes look stunned at its mutated body. The horns grow from both where its eyes should be and from the edge of its hands as it screeches in a voice made all the worst by wasps nest that spins out of its throat. You put a lance directly through it in the time it takes to round the corner. More appear from the bushes, mutated and screeching, but your troops keep good order, firing and circling as best you can as more Broo continue to fall around you. Perhaps 4 have fallen directly before you shout to make for the camp. You repeat the same procedure at least twice more before you have, hopefully, led some part of the horde towards your position.

Masteries Cancel (I did warn you it is going to get tough against Chaos) but you score a Minor Victory thanks to the Broos failure to do you any harm. So you now have a +6 augment to use against them whenever you need to order people to target an enemy.

Duckbag posted:

Kalan

[Using Victualing Verbiage 3W inspire and strengthen the warriors and boost their morale. Victualing Verbiage 3W: 1d20 20. Hmm.]

Kalan stands amongst the trees in the afternoon sunlight and sings a song that, on any other day, would most likely have warriors clamouring for a battle, and for the defeat of the foe. However one amongst the group takes up the second half of the song. A lament sometimes sung by Ernaldans as their men go off to war

Brave Storm, we see you
Travelling Onwards
Brave Storm we hear you
Travelling Northwards

Brave Storm we fear you
Trailing Southwards
Brave Storm we will mourn you
Travelling Inwards

The song is good, but cannot raise the spirits of men and women who know they are to fight the predark. There are still some raised glasses to Kalan, and some talk to him of their pride in seeing a scholar here to fight alongside them. But the words are just words, and have not stirred the souls of the fighters.

http://orokos.com/roll/408599
Praise all the Gods for good rolls earlier. If the men had been in worse morale this could have ended poorly, but as it is your roll of 20 is boosted to a failure and whilst my roll of 9 is a success, it doesn't get boosted to a critical. There are no mechanical losses to the fighting forces

Dumnbunny posted:

Irillo, ambitious trader

So, failure bumped to a success, unless this is a stretch; I trust the GM will made any adjustments as he sees fit.[/i]

The Darkness coats you like an old friend, you move the spear almost in tandem with the shamans own movements, you position yourself towards teh centre of the ring of trees, and call out to the Pre-Dark with the words that they taught you in the Lead Grimoire. You find that the shamn beats with fresh vigour as you shout Oaths that could make a Uroxi blush into the gathering darkness, to remind the Pre-Dark that it is old an breakable when put against the powers of the Underworld and True Dark.

Not a Stretch, but just making it through. That is a minor success and means you have given a fresh boost to the power of the Shaman! This may well be a heck of a thing

The Shaman Whirls and Dances, passing through the trees and singing songs of valour and comfort. The men and women set up stockades and wait, Aldsen returns with tales of victory, Kalan waits and readies his crossbow and Irillo begins to change and warp as the sun sets.

Then it happens, a sudden keening from out of the far side of the woods, and the broos come bursting forth. There are so many of them, and yet all of them seem to be heading towards the hill, the plan has worked, the Gods have drawn them here! Now we just need to fight them. Arrows fill the sky and the chattering of the Broos is heard from all around, everyone stands in a circle, facing outwards as the traps that have already been set up begin to spring, cracking skulls and puncturing the lungs of the approaching monstrosities. One of them, a large creatures with tentacles instead of a mouth seems to be ordering them into battle.

Or it seems like that, even as you steal yourselves for their arrival to confront you in combat the sky is darkened and Shepelkrit burst into renewed life above you, from above you hear a dreadful whispering and you feel a terrible pressure build around you. It falls from the sky, a misshapen and lumpen monstrosity in the form of a bat that charges your front line and bellows to you all a sound of gibberish and insanity. its fanged more dripping venom and pre dark and its lidless eyes weeping blood. The Broo "general" screams in Triumph "all will fall before the might of Gibaji! CHARGE!"

Okay, battle time. Currently your foes are as follows

Everyone:
Gigantic Bat-Chaos Demon

Irillo:
2 Broo warriors, one with tentacle arm, one with head that is just a skull

Kalan:
1 Broo soldier who is presently attacking the barricade

Aldsen:
2 Broo Soldiers, one has wounds that seem to ooze tiny dragon snails, the other is covered in sores that move like mouths.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Aldsen

Aldsen closes his eyes as the pressure builds in the air around him, the image of the chaos thing imprinted on his mind. The very sight of it sickens him, fills him with a deep terror that threatens to overwhelm everything that he is. His breath betrays him, leaving only the foul, bitter taste of corruption on his tongue. He could flee right now - Yacul could outrun any horse here. The demons would be too busy with the others, he could escape. He thinks back to the faces of the other caravan members, of the horsemen who had ridden with him, Yarista -

His mind stops, and the panic in his heart stops as well. He had made an oath. He had promised to protect Yarista. He imagined a new dawn - the great wheel turning, as it must and a time when this threat was a distant memory. The Pure Horse People proud, strong and prosperous again. Yarista as the new feathered horse queen, ruling a new society. A new dawn, the brighter days that could be. But the only way to reach this future was to fight. To be victorious. He had so boldly asked Yarista what she was willing to risk for her dream of change, so arrogantly. Now he turned the question on himself.

What am I willing to risk for the future I struggle for?

When he opens his eyes again, they are devoid of fear. He prods Yacul to start to trot forward slowly, drawing an arrow from his quiver.

Everything <- link

As he passes the group of horsemen that he had gathered together, he starts to chant. It is in the language of the Grazelands, a chant of deep importance to him that they almost certainly couldn't understand. There was no mistaking the defiant tone piercing the foul whispers though, as he attempted to drown out the maddening words that nibbled at the edge of sanity. He raises his bow above his head and motions forward as he continues to chant. He doesn't even look behind him as he spurs Yacul into an all out charge. He has no eyes for the foul Broo that stand in his path - he notches the arrow and draws it back, charging straight for the foul beast that descended from the sky.

The air around him began to shimmer and dance, as heat enveloped not just the arrow but seemed to wrap itself completely around both horse and rider. A second, ghostly choir seemed to join Aldsen's chant, louder and louder as his spirit-companions joined the song as a battle cry -

Silence came suddenly, punctuated by the snap of a bowstring being released. An arrow flew through the air, heat-mirages warping its image as it carried straight toward the winged creature...

Alright. Go big or go home. Forget these Broo. They seem to love this flying elder-thing from beyond the stars, so Aldsen is going to try and rip out their heart and smash their dreams in front of their eyes.

Ghostflame Arrow +12. Unleashing the Ghostflame Arrow spirit for a +3 bonus, and I won't be able to use the charm again until the next "session"/encounter. Augmenting with the 13 I got earlier from the inspirational ride to get these men to follow me headfirst into battle for another +3. Going to use the +6 I got just now as extra encouragement to make these guys charge with me straight at the big gribbly. Note even though I'm using the Bow, I'm riding up to the thing full tilt. If I could I would be augmenting this with Firebrand for the singing, but that doesn't work, but that's the idea. I'm singing a song of defiance that, even though the words don't make sense, the tone is clear and I'm charging instead of just holding my ground waiting to receive the charge. 12 + 3 + 3 + 6 = 4W2

I'm going to make this a Risky Gambit. If I win, I get an extra "resolution point" against my opponent. If I lose, I get two extra resolution points against me. Basically I'm doing the one thing that the Broo/Chaos won't expect, singing a defiant war song/chant and going straight for the biggest, baddest gribbly that I can see. However this can easily, easily go wrong. If I fail, then the other riders maybe aren't charging with me or what have you. I'm essentially ignoring the Broo - if I fail then I won't be defending myself as well against them and may end up surrounded by Chaos and need to fight my way free. I'll probably be using my last Hero Point of the "session" on this too, depending on how the rolls go.

Ghostflame (Unleashed, Local Hero augment, +6 victory, Risky Gambit) 4W2: 1d20 7 Failure -> Success -> Critical

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Zzurekern

The Man-of-All stood placidly through the ritual, as if he weren't even there. In a way, he wasn't; one of Hrestol's people had no place calling out to false gods. Still, someone had to clean up the mess. And there the mess was, howling its blasphemies. Time to work.

"Just like the Lists! Forward, Sleipneir!" With a cry, the horseman's lifted spear crackles with tamed lightning as he and his mount charge the biggest beast head on.

Knights should joust! Yeah, I know that's not Loskalm anymore, but what else do you do when there's a giant monster?

Since this guy's a little bigger, I'll reveal Zzurekern's third spell in his first book: Charge With a Spear Like a Thunderbolt. Hopefully the locals will be a little more impressed by some Air magic.

augment charge against chaos monster, 7w: 1d20 18

let me know if that gets any specificity or whatever, then my trusty steed will carry the charge home

charging on Sleipneir 2w: 1d20 10

if this ends up being anything lower than a success, I'll use one of my 3 HP

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Irillo, ambitious trader

Irillo, still coated in Darkness, hefts his Ebon Spear and runs in Alden's wake at the Chaos bat-thing, ignoring the approaching broo. "Take the head off the snake," he mutters to himself.

Using Destroy Chaotic Thing, augmented by Darkness, for a total of 6W. Does this qualify for a specific ability bonus? I haven't included that myself, leaving it for the GM to add if he sees fit.

Attack Chaos Bat-Thing: 1d20 18, for a Failure bumped to a Success. Heh, specific ability bonus wouldn't have helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kalan

There are times Kalan wishes he was as good at fighting as he was at running away, and given that there's nowhere left to run to, this is definitely one of those times. Someone tries to hand him a crossbow, but he has no idea how to fire such a thing so he just loads it and hands it off to the warrior next to him, trusting that that man at least knows where to point that drat thing. The readied crossbow is quickly replaced by a fired one from down the line and then another and another and soon Kalan is slotting in bolts at a quick and steady rhythm. He's so caught up in reloading that he doesn't notice the enemy in front of his face until the broo is practically on top of him. The crossbowmen have already retreated a few paces and the broo has already used its black chitinous claws to skitter to the top of the barricade. It's a big one with most of its features hidden by a shaggy mass of indigo fur except for its gaping maw which belches fetid black smoke like a desert nomad's dung fire.Kalan freezes in pure horror for a moment and the broo leaps at him, but at the last instant the broo is blindsided by a furious streak of tawny fur.

Lucky the alynx had been lurking in the top of a tree and desultorily picking at the carcass of the bird he killed earlier when he was rudely interrupted by a bunch of very strange creatures making far too much noise. He saw the humans crouching by the barricade and decided they were hunting, but like the rank amateurs they were, they had provoked the prey and then allowed themselves to get cornered. It was Kalan going stag hunting all over again and Lucky would solve it the same way, with death from above. Fortunately someone with a little sense (or maybe just Kalan) had had the foresight to build the barricade in the shadow of a very tall tree, and unfortunately (for it) the blue smoke beast did not think to look up.

[Using Alynx 2W and would like to add the +3 you gave me earlier for ambushes against chaos, if you'll let me. Alynx 2W: 1d20 19. Hmm, I'll probably spend a hero point this time as well. Because drat it, Lucky needs to be lucky.]

• Locked thread