Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
What a great movie, I rate it 4.5/5.

But it does not deserved to be called a horror film by any means.

The only problem, although slight as it is compared to the larger whole, is the abrupt ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

ObamaPhone posted:

What a great movie, I rate it 4.5/5.

But it does not deserved to be called a horror film by any means.

The only problem, although slight as it is compared to the larger whole, is the abrupt ending.

I agree with 1/3 of this post (the first third).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Depends what you take from a horror. I felt dreadful in the theater while watching it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's probably the scariest movie I've seen since the Descent

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Slandible posted:

Depends what you take from a horror. I felt dreadful in the theater while watching it.

I like your avatar a lot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like this movie kind of sits right on the line between horror and action, the same way Assault on Precinct 13, Aliens, Safe Haven and Bonestorm from the VHS movies, and They Live do. It's kind of a Doom-esque vibe, actually: the stakes are high and the odds are grim, but you're gonna go down fuckin' some poo poo up, dammit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ObamaPhone posted:

I'd argue that the abrupt ending is meant to be exactly as abrupt as it seems. The whole movie takes a very realistic tone to violence and death. Someone dying just happens, without dramatic speeches or conveniently ironic timing. When Darcy is finally confronted by the last survivors, the final confrontation lasts a few seconds. As Darcy's last dying bullet demonstrates when it hits the jeep, Pat and Amber were within inches of death even at their best and only random chance often kept them alive despite their balls and skill. The battle-scarred survivors are simply left sitting by the side of the road, unsure of what to do and where to go.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rewatched this last night. Still fantastic. Was weird to watch knowing Anton Yelchin is no longer alive (but he was when I saw it in theaters only a couple months ago). I just learned today that he had been in a band (The Hammerheads) with Tom Petty's son.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really cool film. Tense as gently caress.

Two things that kind of shocked me googling it afterwards, was I kept thinking "a bunch of people ask for stuff like Blue Ruin and I would totally recommend this" Lo and behold...now I know why I thought that.

Second, googling the lead was pretty sad I didn't realize it was it was the Star Trek guy. he was good too. :(

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's probably the scariest movie I've seen since the Descent

Yeah. Arguing whether or not it qualifies as horror is a waste of time. It's a scary movie.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 13, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

Hell, situations more crazy than "Punk band fights back against Neo-Nazis trying to silence them for witnessing a murder" happen pretty much all the time. We're a weird world with 7 billion people. It would be strange for a situation like this movie to never happen.

I'm pretty sure basically this exact sequence of events happened at some point in the rural South in the 80s.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
This movie was great but I spent most of it cringing too much to actually appreciate how tense it was

Wrist/throat violence is just too much for me, goddamn

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That whole arm scene is straight up one of the most hideous things I've ever seen happen in a movie, and I've seen a lot of violent movies

Parachute
May 18, 2003
It really sets the tone for how visceral the violence will be throughout the movie. It's never really topped in terms of gore, but it's so intense and terrifying that even thinking about it/the aftermath makes me wince.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SlipkPIe posted:

This movie was great but I spent most of it cringing too much to actually appreciate how tense it was

Wrist/throat violence is just too much for me, goddamn

The wrist wound got me more than just about any movie wound I can think of. Almost set off my gag reflex.

One thing I'm not clear on. Why did Picard have Justin give them the gun in the first place? I'm also not entirely clear on what their framing plan was. It didn't make a whole lot of sense.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

NESguerilla posted:

One thing I'm not clear on. Why did Picard have Justin give them the gun in the first place? I'm also not entirely clear on what their framing plan was. It didn't make a whole lot of sense.

It seemed like the initial plan was to have them armed with a weapon to justify "standing their ground" against them or something. It also seemed like Darcy wanted them to come out of the green room armed with the pistol, but the kids quickly catch on to that. I'll have to rewatch it when my blu ray gets here, but I think I recall some line about how the gun is actually registered to Darcy so their standing-their-ground plan would've backfired. But it'd explain why all of a sudden Darcy said that the gun wasn't registered and that he just wanted it out of the picture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

It seemed like the initial plan was to have them armed with a weapon to justify "standing their ground" against them or something. It also seemed like Darcy wanted them to come out of the green room armed with the pistol, but the kids quickly catch on to that. I'll have to rewatch it when my blu ray gets here, but I think I recall some line about how the gun is actually registered to Darcy so their standing-their-ground plan would've backfired. But it'd explain why all of a sudden Darcy said that the gun wasn't registered and that he just wanted it out of the picture.

The gun was unregistered. By attacking and killing them after they had the gun, they have the perfect justification: a group of young punks with an unregistered gun (which has their fingerprints on it) tried to siphon gasoline and were killed by guard dogs at the farm nearby.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

tried to siphon gasoline and were killed by guard dogs at the farm nearby.

Ahh. Ok I didn't fully process what they were doing there. Although it doesn't seem like that plan would hold up in any sort of forensics investigation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

Ahh. Ok I didn't fully process what they were doing there. Although it doesn't seem like that plan would hold up in any sort of forensics investigation.

I think the plan was that there would be no investigation, or that the investigation wouldn't go far. The band had a van with gasoline siphoning equipment (full of traces of recent use if they went so far as to test the tube) and "had" an unregistered revolver, both of which are covered in their fingerprints. The autopsy initially would have only found blunt trauma and dog bites, before they decided to just shoot everyone. Darcy would have had plenty of people on his side to corroborate his story as well, since the whole gang was in on it. It would be incredibly risky if the police got suspicious enough to bring out the whole kit and investigate every hair follicle like it was a CSI episode, but I think Darcy was expecting the whole gang of witnesses to be taken at face value and to hold up under minor investigation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that would make sense.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the first one to say this but goddamn Darcy reminded me of a super brutal Walter White.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The whole film, I have to admit that I was secretly hoping that somehow Darcy wasn't the immensely evil person he seemed to be.

It was a great touch that the guy who set the show up (and they let go later) genuinely was sorry and was just in over his head.

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016
I can definitely say this is an accurate portrayal of being in a punk band on tour. Brings back vivid memories of pulling up to a creepy building in the middle of nowhere, Arizona, and seeing no one but a 40 year old man and his dog. Definitely thought about just driving past.

The show sucked and we slept in a Wal-Mart parking lot, I jerked off in their bathroom.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I just finished this movie about 30 minutes ago and it was great.

It's definitely a horror movie to me. Horror/suspense. The reason why is for me 90% of traditional horror movies old and new don't scare me at all or really have much of the intended affect on me. I can't suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy horror movies, I watch them wrong.

This movie is insanely scary to me and I felt physically frightened during a lot of scenes, the movie successfully elicited a major response from me and that is what makes art succeed or fail. If horror is a movie that makes you feel real fear then this is a horror movie.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
As far as stuffing movies in boxes go, this movie is definitely horror. I mean what else are you going to call it, a thriller?

Also, I have avoided Blue Ruin, but didn't know that this was the same guy who did Murder Party, which I watched drunkenly back when it came out. He really has come a long way, man. As a member of a lovely band, I was really engaged throughout this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Preacher just finished up on AMC and I feel they really dropped the ball with Arseface/Eugene not being a grunge/punk kid. Not enough punks in media. Imogen Poots currently in Roadies non-withstanding.

Also, anyone ever see Dudes? I hate Ducky, so it already rubs me the wrong way, but the trailer looks goofy enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HdRz2sK0bA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

f#a# posted:

As far as stuffing movies in boxes go, this movie is definitely horror. I mean what else are you going to call it, a thriller?

I mean I would call it a thriller, but I don't go about worrying what box to put movies in either.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I don't know, somebody in another thread compared it to Eden Lake, and they do have similar "situations" (a crime happens, one side escalates it to keep themselves out of trouble and worse poo poo happens) but I'd call Eden Lake a horror movie and Green Room a thriller. I think the big difference is characterization and how extreme the blood/gore is. In Eden Lake the killing is heightened and exaggerated, both of the opposing sides don't really behave like normal people would in the situation, and the people are kind of caricatures more than real people. In Green Room you have real believable people doing believable things in a tense situation, and the gore is kind of muted and de-emphasized and more blunt than dramatic.

So I guess what makes a movie a "thriller" is just being framed like a horror movie but with strong attention paid to believability.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

another big difference is Eden Lake fuckin sucks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

another big difference is Eden Lake fuckin sucks

Yeah, Eden Lake is awful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoyed this, but the setup seemed a bit odd unless I missed something. They, as a left wing punk band, decided that playing at a nazi clubhouse in full knowledge was a good idea? I know they're supposed to be shown as being out of their depths, but nobody would take that deal ever, even in their situation. It would be the end of them the second word got out.

Although, did they get $300 to be opening band at a matinee show? drat, my band were always lucky to get gas money, and I didn't even pay that much for bands touring the continent. Seems a good deal, except for the whole... You know, murder thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EL BROMANCE posted:

I enjoyed this, but the setup seemed a bit odd unless I missed something. They, as a left wing punk band, decided that playing at a nazi clubhouse in full knowledge was a good idea? I know they're supposed to be shown as being out of their depths, but nobody would take that deal ever, even in their situation. It would be the end of them the second word got out.

Although, did they get $300 to be opening band at a matinee show? drat, my band were always lucky to get gas money, and I didn't even pay that much for bands touring the continent. Seems a good deal, except for the whole... You know, murder thing.

They weren't really aware how nazi it was until they already agreed, and even by the time they were gonna drive there it was just like "boots & braces.. just play your older stuff"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You can basically blame everything in the movie on well-meaning-but-incompetent-mohawked-show-promoter.

But at least he can draw.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah he's a pretty dece artist

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also, they're punk kids traveling the country on a tour where they don't even make enough money for gas to the next venue. Their whole identity is based on giving the finger to society's bad guys, Nazis included. They had enough balls to play a song that's literally called "Nazi Punks gently caress Off" to a room full of Nazis. They're not that bright.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

But I mean, they would've made it out fine had Big Justin just stopped them at the door or handed them Sam's cell instead of just letting walk right in on a murder scene. There wasn't any real hostility except for that first song but that was pretty much as expected.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

But I mean, they would've made it out fine had Big Justin just stopped them at the door or handed them Sam's cell instead of just letting walk right in on a murder scene. There wasn't any real hostility except for that first song but that was pretty much as expected.

And as Darcy said, they'd have made it out fine if Big Justin and Gabe didn't respond to being caught by holding the band in the room with the corpse at gunpoint and stopping them from calling the police. He says that had they just let Werm take the fall for the murder and played it cool, the band would have gone on their way scared but none the wiser about the deeper plot in the background.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Setting the film in the 80s would have helped a little bit, because yes in 2016 it's a little weird to think of the punk scene as being a place where actual racist assholes and extreme bleeding-heart liberals meet in the mosh pit, but that's exactly how things were even well into the early 90s. There's even a brief mention of SHARPs early on (Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice, most of whom are genuinely nice people and include people of color and homosexuals).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Setting the film in the 80s would have helped a little bit, because yes in 2016 it's a little weird to think of the punk scene as being a place where actual racist assholes and extreme bleeding-heart liberals meet in the mosh pit, but that's exactly how things were even well into the early 90s. There's even a brief mention of SHARPs early on (Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice, most of whom are genuinely nice people and include people of color and homosexuals).

That skinhead conversation where they bring up SHARP does make it feel like a movie that was written in the early '90s and then updated to include cell phones and mentions of social media

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The idea basically WAS conceived a decade or more ago, as said by the director in that podcast episode linked earlier in the thread (btw, thanks to whoever posted it. I've really been enjoying it)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

From my admittedly cursory neonazi experience it seemed pretty realistic.

this seems like a similar situation kinda: some years ago, I was just looking for a party and lived in a lovely small town so the only parties were nazi parties for some reason. you get kinda numb to the casual nazism if you live in a place with a lot of hitlers

i did piss on their nazi newspapers tho

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snapchat A Titty posted:

From my admittedly cursory neonazi experience it seemed pretty realistic.

this seems like a similar situation kinda: some years ago, I was just looking for a party and lived in a lovely small town so the only parties were nazi parties for some reason. you get kinda numb to the casual nazism if you live in a place with a lot of hitlers

i did piss on their nazi newspapers tho

Ain't no party like the Nazi Party, apparently

• Locked thread