Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8XSARX3DQg

Director: Jeremy Saulnier
Writer: Jeremy Saulnier
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Imogen Poots, Anton Yelchin, Alia Shawkat, Callum Turner
Released: April 15, 2016

IMDb posted:

A band straying into a secluded part of Virginia stumbles onto a horrific act of violence. Because they are the only witnesses, they become the targets of a terrifying gang of white power skinheads who want to make sure all the evidence is eliminated.

Haven't gotten a chance to see this yet, but I really enjoyed Blue Ruin, and it's been getting good reviews from goon and human alike! I'm a big fan of siege-type movies, so I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Virginia? I thought it was set in the Pacific Northwest. The radio guy interviewing the band at the start of the movie mentions the venue is outside of Portland.

The desert island band running joke got some pretty good reactions out of the crowd I was with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This movie really feels tailor made for a guy like me who feels there's not enough punk film. Watching Blue Ruin made me even more excited for it.

How's Murder Party?

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Green Room is a fantastic film, I've had my eye on it for months and it exceeded my expectations. It's a bit claustrophobic, there's cringe-worthy violence, but I can't find it many faults. The set up is especially amazing, the characters feel genuine from the get-go and that closeness you feel for them really pays off. Best movie I've seen this year so far, A Perfect Day comes close but this one feels like a cult classic right away.

I would suggest avoiding spoilers and trailers, if you love very intense thrillers. Just go see it punk.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
This movie loving owns. I love how almost everything attempted has something go wrong.

Wyllt
May 6, 2009
Really loved this one And as a fan of Blue Ruin I found this one even better. The violence is fast and heavy just like the music they play and area they find themselves in. Great performances by all the cast especially the neo nazi fucks, they really feel dangerous. Some really great scenes where the tension just keeps rising to points where I forgot I was holding my breath. Definitely see it if you are even remotely interested. Top notch in all areas

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This movie really feels tailor made for a guy like me who feels there's not enough punk film.

I feel like the movie pulls its punches a bit here. For a movie about a punk band, it sure didn't want to show much punk music, including switching to something more atmospheric during the dance montage. Don't know if I'd call it a "punk film" so much as a film that happens to include a punk band as being the sort of band most likely to end up playing for a bunch of neo-nazis.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like the movie pulls its punches a bit here. For a movie about a punk band, it sure didn't want to show much punk music, including switching to something more atmospheric during the dance montage. Don't know if I'd call it a "punk film" so much as a film that happens to include a punk band as being the sort of band most likely to end up playing for a bunch of neo-nazis.

Eh, I'd prefer that to an attempt at writing original stuff that was super cliche/embarrassing/lovely

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

UnknownMercenary posted:

Virginia? I thought it was set in the Pacific Northwest. The radio guy interviewing the band at the start of the movie mentions the venue is outside of Portland.

The desert island band running joke got some pretty good reactions out of the crowd I was with.

IMDb has the wrong info. The band is from Arlington, VA though, so I see where they got it.

Overall, I really dug this movie. I don't watch a lot of horror but I've been liking this recent emergence of good, thoughtful indie horror, along with stuff like It Follows and You're Next. I thought it was an interesting choice to mostly gloss over the inner workings of the Nazi gang, and even their motivations for killing the original girl, resigning it to little bits of dialogue that only hint at it. That kind of frustrated me while I was watching it, but thinking back, the mystery really heightened the suspense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UnknownMercenary posted:

He was definitely gonna say The Ain't Rights.

staguar
Aug 29, 2004
Enjoyed this, but I never want to watch it again because it made me feel terrible. But that's not a bad thing.

Can someone explain why they let Gabe go at the end to call the police? Did I miss something?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I fuckin loved this movie. I've seen gorier films, but the the way violence is depicted here is more intense than anything I've seen. Really sells the danger everyone is in.

EDIT: ^^^Amber wanted revenge for her friend. As for Pat maybe he thought it was best to neutralize the threat instead of possibly getting hunted down in the woods?

Good point keep talkin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 1, 2016

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

What kind of band name is Cowcatcher, anyway.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

UnknownMercenary posted:

The timing on that running joke got a pretty funny reaction out of my crowd, as I am sure it did elsewhere--cue a series of of soft "awwww"s when someone answers "Prince."

Great great film--Blue Ruin is a better character study, whereas this one has wonderful tension, set pieces, and violence. Anyone know if Murder Party is easily available anywhere?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He was definitely gonna say The Ain't Rights.

You can interpret that his desert island band is Credence Clearwater Revival as it goes straight into a CCR song over the credits. Your interpretation is equally valid though.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

AKMoose posted:

The timing on that running joke got a pretty funny reaction out of my crowd, as I am sure it did elsewhere--cue a series of of soft "awwww"s when someone answers "Prince."
Same. Though after all the gasps, shrieking and "OH poo poo''s, the best reaction from my crowd was the simultaneous :allears: AWWWW PUPPEH!!! when the murderous attack dog softly laid down with his dead skinhead owner.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The synopsis to this film just makes me think "why is this about Virginian anti-nazis and not french communist anti-nazis"

Obviously the answer is "because its easier to get a film about american kids fighting nazis funded than a film about communists [who aren't Hollywood writers]" but still. Kind of continues the question from GITS drama of "why does this even need to happen?"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Eh, I'd prefer that to an attempt at writing original stuff that was super cliche/embarrassing/lovely

... it's punk. If you can't hire someone to write an even halfway decent song of that type and then sell it mostly on attitude, which film excels at, how are you even capable of making a movie?

Fun movie, but funny to make the band's whole deal that live connection that comes from performing for a crowd, then represent that moment of transcendence with a radically different style of music.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Back up and write that out a little.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Me or Neuroliminal?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

The director stated that he wanted to depict different shades of punk culture. The reason he used nazis wasn't because he wanted an easy villain to root against, but because they're organized and used to violence and murder, and the protagonists are not. Soldiers vs. civilians basically, which is reinforced with Pat's speech on paintball against the marines.

EDIT: Referring to neuroliminal

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Me or Neuroliminal?

NL, I think our posts happened at the same time.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Neurolimal posted:

The synopsis to this film just makes me think "why is this about Virginian anti-nazis and not french communist anti-nazis"

Obviously the answer is "because its easier to get a film about american kids fighting nazis funded than a film about communists [who aren't Hollywood writers]" but still. Kind of continues the question from GITS drama of "why does this even need to happen?"

what on earth are you talking about

Also this movie was great. Not as good as Blue Ruin in my estimation but still an awesome ride

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Goddamn, this movie. The scene where Amber slices up Big Justin's stomach with the boxcutter was particularly effective, but it was all very brutal and nasty.

Also, the foreshadowing of the fake face tattoos with Pat getting stuff sharpied on his face in the night was pretty clever.

I also has the pleasure of seeing it at the Alamo Drafthouse, so the opening reel was full of old siege movies and a juggling how-to for a move called criss cross applesauce.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Back up and write that out a little.

I'm just surprised that the film, with its premise, doesn't take place in a setting/scenario with stronger historical ties to anti-neonazis. France has an insanely interesting history of leftist anti-fascist gangs squaring off against neonazis that is ripe for exploitation. Particularly with groups such as The Black Dragons and the Red Warriors.

I'l admit that I haven't [yet] seen the movie itself, so maybe it goes towards more American themes. Or maybe I'm being ignorant and Virginia has an equally crazy history.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I've been really looking forward to this, being a huge fan of Blue Ruin. It didn't disappoint! My stomach was in knots for most of it. The gore special effects were incredibly on point. Time to track down Murder Party.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

I'm just surprised that the film, with its premise, doesn't take place in a setting/scenario with stronger historical ties to anti-neonazis. France has an insanely interesting history of leftist anti-fascist gangs squaring off against neonazis that is ripe for exploitation. Particularly with groups such as The Black Dragons and the Red Warriors.

I'l admit that I haven't [yet] seen the movie itself, so maybe it goes towards more American themes. Or maybe I'm being ignorant and Virginia has an equally crazy history.

The film is not per se about neonaziism, but if it were, Christian Identity has a very long and entrenched history as an American subculture. It's not pulled out of a hat.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
For those interested, I ended up finding Murder Party available for a purchase/rental on Amazon Prime. You can also get it for free if you want to try a free week trial for a service called Shudder, which focuses on horror movies (also through Amazon for this option).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Was April 29 meant to be the "wide release"? Because it wasn't for me, it's still not playing anywhere near here.

Sucks for me I guess, same thing happened with The Guest :(

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

King Vidiot posted:

Was April 29 meant to be the "wide release"? Because it wasn't for me, it's still not playing anywhere near here.

Sucks for me I guess, same thing happened with The Guest :(

It's a wide release in that the movie is playing around the country, but it's not likely to be playing at every theater. By me the only theater that has it is a massive one with 30 screens.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I wound up seeing this on a whim when I was bored one night. I knew only the very very basics (nazis, punks, Patrick Stewart). Growing up in the NYHC scene, I was never really all that familiar with the punk side of things, but there's enough crossover that this felt pretty authentic, and I was pleasantly surprised with the turn of events. poo poo got real very quickly, and the danger factor sky-rocketed almost immediately.

Really fun, high-tension flick. I'll have to seek out the director's other stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

I wound up seeing this on a whim when I was bored one night. I knew only the very very basics (nazis, punks, Patrick Stewart). Growing up in the NYHC scene, I was never really all that familiar with the punk side of things, but there's enough crossover that this felt pretty authentic, and I was pleasantly surprised with the turn of events. poo poo got real very quickly, and the danger factor sky-rocketed almost immediately.

Really fun, high-tension flick. I'll have to seek out the director's other stuff.

Blue Ruin is really good.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

One of the things I really liked about this movie was something Jenny Angel said in the chat thread, that the seeming narrative weight of an action has no bearing on the success or failure of that action. People gently caress up when you don't expect it, much like anyone would when they're out of their element and panicking. It lends so much tension to the movie and takes away any of the power you might feel in being able to "solve" the movie and figure out what's gonna happen next.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

My favourite part of that is when the one skinhead decides to help them and he goes behind the bar to get the guns hidden there and is immediately killed.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Neurolimal posted:

This isn't Inglorious Basterds, it's a slasher where the bad guys are neo-Nazis. Do you frequently write long bullshit about movies you haven't seen?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vhak lord of hate posted:

This isn't Inglorious Basterds, it's a slasher where the bad guys are neo-Nazis. Do you frequently write long bullshit about movies you haven't seen?

You should relax, friend. That wasn't even a long post.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That was kind of a weird post, though. It's a movie about a punk band, which the director himself has direct experience with, not a movie about the specific politics of neo-Nazis. The fact that they're neo-Nazis is mostly just a signifier that these are unscrupulous hosed-up people.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

That was kind of a weird post, though. It's a movie about a punk band, which the director himself has direct experience with, not a movie about the specific politics of neo-Nazis. The fact that they're neo-Nazis is mostly just a signifier that these are unscrupulous hosed-up people.

I honestly missed the band part. And yeah, not much experience with this director (at least, not enough to know him specifically).

I'l probably check his stuff out later; I like what I've read in this thread.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I was in the minority who didn't feel Blue Ruin all that much - the low-budget seams showed too much for me - but Green Room is so good I saw it twice in about 12 hours and want to see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Neurolimal posted:

I honestly missed the band part. And yeah, not much experience with this director (at least, not enough to know him specifically).

I'l probably check his stuff out later; I like what I've read in this thread.

Maybe next time don't post garbage shitposts without even being able to read the three sentences you're responding to

• Locked thread