Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Was April 29 meant to be the "wide release"? Because it wasn't for me, it's still not playing anywhere near here.

Sucks for me I guess, same thing happened with The Guest :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm pretty sure it was all the other Nazis waiting with knives and poo poo next to Patrick Stewart. You could see a bunch of them waiting just outside the door when Imogen Poots peeks out through the vent.

This, but I'm pretty sure that the hand got hit by more than just a knife at the wrist, that looked like a machete. At least one other skin later has a machete, possibly the same one.

Just saw this movie tonight and I really liked it, may need time to digest it before I decide if it's a "favorite" or not but it was really good. The fact that nobody was too intelligent or too dumb (Patrick Stewart was maybe too confident in his plan and his footsoldiers) and acted like normal people really made the movie for me. The Neo-Nazis weren't portrayed as cartoon villains, you could almost see someone making a separate movie playing out from their end. I guess that ties in with Pat's anecdote about the paintball match with the Iraqi vets. Just like the vets in the story, it's kids fighting kids and both just want to kill/stay alive and get the whole thing over with.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I did Nazi anyone else in this thread complaining though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That got me thinking about Daniel choking one of the kids (Tiger maybe?) early on when they mentioned getting drunk before the show, and he said to "shut the gently caress up about it". Is that a thing in the neo-Nazi skinhead movement, where they don't want their members drinking or they don't want other people drinking around them? It looked like they had beers backstage and there was a bar so that was kind of an odd moment.

Also that made me think of how that moment ties into what we find out later. Daniel probably just doesn't want them stirring up trouble with the crowd because he wants the show to go off without a hitch so that he can run away with Emily.

One other thing I was wondering, what was the deal with the baseball bat that they find in the trunk? I get that it was some kind of evidence but it's not really mentioned why it's important.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ah okay, that's one of those moments that happens so fast that it's easy to miss, especially when you don't know the additional info that you find out later.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I can't stop thinking about that. It was just so... easy.

That's the thing that really hits you when you watch the movie, all of the violence is portrayed with a frankness that you usually don't see in movies. It's not over the top to make it comical to lighten the blow, it doesn't linger that long on shots like a Saw movie or whatever, and when the violence happens it's quick and the victim doesn't have much time to even scream or struggle. If somebody gets cut with a razor-sharp box cutter to the gut, they're not going to scream for five minutes as the cutter slowly digs in, that cutter is going to go straight through the soft flesh effortlessly.

Also, I can't remember what actually happened to Werm early on. Do we see him die, does he just leave and not come back? After he was being kind of creepy and menacing backstage I don't recall him being in the movie after that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ah okay, when they said the name of that band that Werm was in I thought it was the stage name of a specific guy, so when Patrick Stewart said he gave (the band) some dope he meant he was hoping that Werm would shoot up too. But I don't think that Werm actually shot up, he's eating cereal next to a guy that he doesn't notice is dead. But since he was seen from the side in the dark I didn't notice it was Werm.

So yeah, I guess I'm bad at watching movies :v:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anal Surgery posted:

That cereal scene is weird since the spoon is just hovering and not moving. He definitely shot up because he's spacing out dreamily like someone on heroin would. But he also wasn't dead, so I'm not sure what the implication is.

I think the implication was that he was fuckin' hard, man.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah one of the best parts of the movie is how the calculated act of murdering four teenagers is carried out like a business operation. We even find out later that the only reason they're trying to cover up Emily's murder is that they don't want police sniffing around the bar where they're making heroin.

Also I like that both sides make mutual decisions that lead to the stand-off. Like the kids might've left alive if they had remained calm instead of immediately trying to get the police involved, and the kids might've remained calm if somebody actually talked them down instead of pointing guns and making threats and being all creepy like Werm was.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah the violence reminded me of that initial revenge killing in Blue Ruin, where Macon Blair stabs the guy with a little knife like a pocket knife, just a quick stab and then he watches the guy bleed out still fully aware of what happened to him. And he even starts to advance for a bit before he finally succumbs. Saulnier is good about not making violence "theatrical", which is something you rarely if ever see. You don't need to make violence dramatic, violence itself is dramatic enough.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

There's something to be said for the believability of the situation too. Like, we're never (well probably never) going to get hunted down by a pack of mutant hillbillies or stalked by an immortal maniac with a machete, but any of us could walk down the wrong alley or go into the wrong room in the wrong bar and find ourselves in a situation where we will die unless we defend ourselves or escape/hide.

Imagining being in a scenario where your closest friends that you care about are going to die is pretty tense. And they're going to die, maybe not every single one, maybe not you. It could be you, and it could be everyone but you, but people are going to die and there's no talking your way out of it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Imogen Poots is "around for no other reason than decor"? What in the actual gently caress. She's one of the main protagonists of the movie, in fact she might be the main protagonist of the movie.

Also I know nothing about Rex Reed other than his name, so I'm going through his Observer headlines and hoo boy does this guy hate any movie that's not completely milquetoast and maudlin and safe.

e: Actually his "taste" is hard to pin down. He seems to like really stoic and boring dramas and nothing else?

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 19, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

caiman posted:

In the last few shots of the movie, what was the significance of showing that mean tattooed guy back in the apartment of the mohawk guy?

Earlier on Darcy gave Werm (the tattooed murderer guy) and his bandmate some poisoned heroin. Werm's bandmate was laying there dead with a needle in his arm, Werm was presumably unfazed either because he was just that hard to kill or he hadn't shot up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Thermite posted:

Just caught this last night in a small, packed theater. Crowd reactions really added to the flick, which was fantastic. I was surprised to see Alia Shawkat bite it. She seemed to be the most pragmatic out of all the band members. Totally thought that she would make it, but that was one of the things that made this so enjoyable. The deaths were so sudden you really couldn't see them coming.

My early-on bets for who would live or die were pretty spot-on, I figured Pat and Amber would live since Pat was kind of the main character and Amber was the outsider ally who started getting a bigger role as the movie went on. They sort of faked me out with Pat getting the gently caress cut out of his arm because I thought there was no way he'd bounce back from that, but in the end I was right.

I did kind of think that at least one other person would live though, and yeah like you I figured it'd be Alia Shawkat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

I dunno, I'm with the poster who asked earlier what the point of making it ambiguous would be. If he's dead, why not just show him clearly dead? It's far creepier to think the man responsible for everything got away and is just eating cereal in front of the telly with his friend dead next to him, needle still in his arm

Yeah I think this ending is really the most fitting, the guy who kicked off the whole thing and was the catalyst for the whole poo poo storm just gets away with it after everyone around him dies.

e: Or he fails to cover-up the death of his friends and gets caught by the police and sent to prison anyways.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Am I dense for just realizing Green Room's poster is a tribute to London Calling?

Don't feel too stupid, I didn't realize it was a Clash thing until you just pointed it out just now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Patrick Stewart wasn't Captain of the Starship Enterprise for nothing. :v:

But yeah, even when he was telling the kids stuff they knew was probably a trick they couldn't help but follow along because he was that commanding, something that Pat found out the hard way with that machete.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

One thing I'm not clear on. Why did Picard have Justin give them the gun in the first place? I'm also not entirely clear on what their framing plan was. It didn't make a whole lot of sense.

It seemed like the initial plan was to have them armed with a weapon to justify "standing their ground" against them or something. It also seemed like Darcy wanted them to come out of the green room armed with the pistol, but the kids quickly catch on to that. I'll have to rewatch it when my blu ray gets here, but I think I recall some line about how the gun is actually registered to Darcy so their standing-their-ground plan would've backfired. But it'd explain why all of a sudden Darcy said that the gun wasn't registered and that he just wanted it out of the picture.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I don't know, somebody in another thread compared it to Eden Lake, and they do have similar "situations" (a crime happens, one side escalates it to keep themselves out of trouble and worse poo poo happens) but I'd call Eden Lake a horror movie and Green Room a thriller. I think the big difference is characterization and how extreme the blood/gore is. In Eden Lake the killing is heightened and exaggerated, both of the opposing sides don't really behave like normal people would in the situation, and the people are kind of caricatures more than real people. In Green Room you have real believable people doing believable things in a tense situation, and the gore is kind of muted and de-emphasized and more blunt than dramatic.

So I guess what makes a movie a "thriller" is just being framed like a horror movie but with strong attention paid to believability.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

But I mean, they would've made it out fine had Big Justin just stopped them at the door or handed them Sam's cell instead of just letting walk right in on a murder scene. There wasn't any real hostility except for that first song but that was pretty much as expected.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Like, the entire point of the movie is that they're in the middle of nowhere in a little club in the boonies that they didn't even know about. They actually kind of acted taken aback at the fact that skinhead neo-Nazi punks were still very much A Thing. I don't think it would've worked as well in an era where the white power skins were just kind of mixed in with the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

quote:

Others have reported that FAELLA is experiencing [sic] with attempting to make RICIN

Oh holy poo poo :stare:

• Locked thread