Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

I'm just surprised that the film, with its premise, doesn't take place in a setting/scenario with stronger historical ties to anti-neonazis. France has an insanely interesting history of leftist anti-fascist gangs squaring off against neonazis that is ripe for exploitation. Particularly with groups such as The Black Dragons and the Red Warriors.

I'l admit that I haven't [yet] seen the movie itself, so maybe it goes towards more American themes. Or maybe I'm being ignorant and Virginia has an equally crazy history.

The movie is set in Oregon.

Anyway, it's an indie movie, and the writer/director is an American. Do you really expect a relatively new writer/director to set his film half-way across the world and write foreign characters? Why in the world would he make things so much harder for himself? And where would he get the funding for this? Hard enough to convince people to put up money for an indie slasher thriller.

I thought the movie was excellent, though I could only have seen it in a theater. We're I watching this at home I'd get chickenshit as soon as things started getting nasty and I'd turn it off. It's a one time effective thriller and it's impressive that so entertaining a movie was made so cheaply. The lush and overcast setting of the Pacific Northwest is always very alluring on the screen (the first couple of seasons of The X-files, Rambo: First Blood, and I'm sure many more) and it really adds to the atmosphere.

The exchange where Alia Shawat's character corrects that dude to the effect that her band is from Arlington, not Washington told me the writer/director hails from Northern VA. It's the sort of regional thing no one else who wasn't from NOVA would think to have a character of theirs consider bothersome enough to correct in a proud fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Profondo Rosso posted:

Saw this last night with my friend and we were literally the only people in the theater. Never had that happen before. Shame that a great indy horror is finally released and it bombs horribly.

Considering its budget, I don't think it's fair to say that it bombed...whoever invested money in it is likely to see a return eventually via rentals, streaming and (possibly) tv airings.

• Locked thread