Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
McCoy will be 29 years old when this season starts, has a ton of mileage, and now potentially has not one but two vultures to deal with in Tolbert and Gillislee. If I owned him in dynasty I'd be putting out feelers for trades.

Unrelated: everyone should find something in life that excites them the way Evan Silva is excited about Rex Burkhead being in NE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

coronaball posted:

McCoy will be 29 years old when this season starts, has a ton of mileage, and now potentially has not one but two vultures to deal with in Tolbert and Gillislee. If I owned him in dynasty I'd be putting out feelers for trades.

Unrelated: everyone should find something in life that excites them the way Evan Silva is excited about Rex Burkhead being in NE.

I agree. I think during this past season was the last best chance to get maximum value for him. I'm very excited to play around with some dynasty projections later this spring .

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
but what does the jared cook signing mean to clive walford's breakout???*gunshot*

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teemu Pokemon posted:

but what does the jared cook signing mean to clive walford's breakout???*gunshot*

This one actually stings, because I let myself be swayed by that in dynasty and picked him instead of Hunter Henry.

:suicide:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Keep up you guys, it's been the Austin Hooper bandwagon for months now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Forever_Peace posted:

Keep up you guys, it's been the Austin Hooper bandwagon for months now.

At least I got him for $1 in my big money dynasty league. :D

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ok, but that's easy. Tell me what's going to happen with Ertz in 2017.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Ok, but that's easy. Tell me what's going to happen with Ertz in 2017.

Puts up 80 yards and a touchdown only in the games that you bench him, until he drops 40 points out of nowhere during the triumphant return of Nick Foles during week 14 but they lose anyways and are eliminated from playoff contention and so he spends the next three games checked out and content to let the running backs get pummeled into oblivion because he can't be arsed to block anybody during his mental vacation.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ertz is going to have 80 and a TD in every game he plays.

Final tally: 320 yards, 4 touchdowns.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
protip: don't roster zach ertz

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Everybody Ertz... sometimes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Everybody Ertz... sometimes.

Geno Smith to the Giants...like, why?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mikey Purp posted:

Geno Smith to the Giants...like, why?

The Giants clearly don't want to pay relocation costs for players these days. So many Jets.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Zach Ertz will do nothing for 13 weeks and then have a random hot streak in December that convinces everybody he's the Next Big Thing next year.

See also: literally every Zach Ertz season.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So Dynasty folks, what do you think Latavius Murray is worth in terms of rookie draft picks?

e: 16 team, full ppr, 3 wr/2rb/1flex

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Azhais posted:

So Dynasty folks, what do you think Latavius Murray is worth in terms of rookie draft picks?

e: 16 team, full ppr, 3 wr/2rb/1flex

Somewhere around pick 18 to 24 or so, mid to late 2nd in a 12 team league. Downgrade in o-line, but can't really argue with the lack of competition he'll have in the backfield. I'm not really interested in him tbh, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
just got an offseason trade offer:

my dthom or arob for his tyreek hill. I'm sure tyreek is going to regress, but he was drat good.

It's a .5 ppr dynasty league. I also have Kelce if anyone thinks that matters (I don't). Any thoughts?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MacheteZombie posted:

my dthom or arob for his tyreek hill. I'm sure tyreek is going to regress, but he was drat good.

It's a .5 ppr dynasty league. I also have Kelce if anyone thinks that matters (I don't). Any thoughts?

I wouldn't move ARob for him, but DT is an interesting consideration. His QB situation is still pretty much garbage and he'll turn 30 during the season.

Having said that, I think he should still be good for a few years and is worth way more than Hill straight up. But he is a guy I would be looking to move in the next couple years while his value is at its peak.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sataere posted:

I wouldn't move ARob for him, but DT is an interesting consideration. His QB situation is still pretty much garbage and he'll turn 30 during the season.

Having said that, I think he should still be good for a few years and is worth way more than Hill straight up. But he is a guy I would be looking to move in the next couple years while his value is at its peak.

Thanks, and I largely agree with you on cashing on DThom before its too late which has me leaning on pulling trigger now rather than later. I countered with doing dthom for tyreek and swapping our draft picks this year (he has 1.02 and i have 1.07 and 1.09 for him to pick from)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks, and I largely agree with you on cashing on DThom before its too late which has me leaning on pulling trigger now rather than later. I countered with doing dthom for tyreek and swapping our draft picks this year (he has 1.02 and i have 1.07 and 1.09 for him to pick from)

Yeah, that is a much closer to an even deal, but I think it might favor you more now. If I were him, I am not sure I'd do it. Those top two draft spots this year look pretty elite. You get either Fournette or Cook, as opposed to McCaffrey or Kupp. That feels like a big dropoff.

Then again, I haven't really done my rookie dynasty scouting yet, so it might not be that much.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Those are both awful.

DT + 1.07 for Tyreek + 1.02 is probably fine if you like the non-Fournette rookies, but Tyreek is just a throw in there compared to the value of 1.02. Ignore Reek and just try DT for 1.02 if you can, 1.07 >> Reek.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

Those are both awful.

DT + 1.07 for Tyreek + 1.02 is probably fine if you like the non-Fournette rookies, but Tyreek is just a throw in there compared to the value of 1.02. Ignore Reek and just try DT for 1.02 if you can, 1.07 >> Reek.

Is Tyreek's dynasty value really that low? What sort of numbers is he projected at over the next few years?

I'll admit to not having paid as much attention to him last season, because I avoid players who hit women, but I thought he showed some real WR1 potential. I could very much be wrong though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

Is Tyreek's dynasty value really that low? What sort of numbers is he projected at over the next few years?

I'll admit to not having paid as much attention to him last season, because I avoid players who hit women, but I thought he showed some real WR1 potential. I could very much be wrong though.

A rankings/ADP aggregator I trust has him between 1.07 and 1.08 in value, so consensus seems to be higher on him than I am. He's a gadget player, on a team with Alex Smith at QB, that flashed potential when the rest of the receiving corps was godawful (2016 version of Maclin, Chris Conley, and Albert Wilson). Right around 1/3 of his total from scrimmage yards and touchdowns came from 24 rushing attempts. He was more an RB than WR in college. Just all screams to me that he's not going to be an actual good WR. It may be a lazy comparison, but I can't help but compare him to CPatt. But this is entirely based on things others than watching him play, so I certainly could be wrong.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Those are both awful.

Hmm thanks for this. Gives me something to think about.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

A rankings/ADP aggregator I trust has him between 1.07 and 1.08 in value, so consensus seems to be higher on him than I am. He's a gadget player, on a team with Alex Smith at QB, that flashed potential when the rest of the receiving corps was godawful (2016 version of Maclin, Chris Conley, and Albert Wilson). Right around 1/3 of his total from scrimmage yards and touchdowns came from 24 rushing attempts. He was more an RB than WR in college. Just all screams to me that he's not going to be an actual good WR. It may be a lazy comparison, but I can't help but compare him to CPatt. But this is entirely based on things others than watching him play, so I certainly could be wrong.

I see more Percy Harvin in him. Is CPatt a good comp? He's a lot bigger than Tyreek.

I wonder if there is historical data on the shelf life of those tiny speedsters who excel based on superior agility. Do they ever last more than a few seasons? I'm trying to think of one who has had sustained success.

It makes me wonder if he'd even be worth trading for, if you can't reasonably expect high end production from him long term.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Quick, to the MFL10s

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/846389999293599744

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Picked him up as a flyer in dynasty. People told me it was a waste of time. I finished with the worst record in the league. I mean, is Kamar Aiken really worth a long term roster spot?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So when do 2017 dynasty rankings typically come out?

EDIT: To clarify, people's final rankings. I know there are projections out now, but it's all worthless until after the draft

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Josh Gordon has done a stellar job of stopping Josh Gordon so far, why stop now?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sataere posted:

Picked him up

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Context matters. :v:

You are still 100% correct.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ok, I have a question. I've noticed grading systems tend to be numerical for players when ranking them. Where do these numbers come from? I'm sure some guys just create arbitrary numbers, but is there a methodology that is generally used by some in generating a grading system? Where would I be able to find info like that?

I'm planning on starting a football blog this summer, but I like the idea of breaking poo poo down from some quantifiable data.

For example, dynasty trade calculator has the 1.01 pick in dynasty valued at 32 points. Ezekiel Elliott is 48.8 points. Julio Jones is 52.9. Where did those numbers come from? How did they determine these values?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Edit nm misread

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sataere posted:

For example, dynasty trade calculator has the 1.01 pick in dynasty valued at 32 points. Ezekiel Elliott is 48.8 points. Julio Jones is 52.9. Where did those numbers come from? How did they determine these values?

I'll take a stab at this. I would largely suspect that in this case, they're more or less making up the dynasty pick value numbers (having discrete "steps" is a bit of a giveaway - e.g. 1.01 to 1.02 is the same distance as 1.02 to 1.03, which doesn't follow any sort of value function they would derive from actual numbers), which is dumb because pick value is ostensibly something we should be able to derive a value for (see here).

Then, they probably guesstimate "what picks would I trade such and such player for", and add up those pick values. If they were smart, they would get values from a bunch of different people and take the average or something. I can't promise they're smart.

Good luck with the blog, look forward to seeing what you cook up! Feel free to use any of the GroundControl apps you find helpful - that's what they're there for.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Ok, I have a question. I've noticed grading systems tend to be numerical for players when ranking them. Where do these numbers come from? I'm sure some guys just create arbitrary numbers, but is there a methodology that is generally used by some in generating a grading system? Where would I be able to find info like that?

I'm planning on starting a football blog this summer, but I like the idea of breaking poo poo down from some quantifiable data.

I think they're based off of value systems used in actual NFL drafts. Not sure where it came from but something like this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
May I have some offseason help?

I have to trim my team a bit during the offseason (3 cuts total). .5ppr for WR, .75 for RB. The deal is my league is cutting down from 25-15, then doing a "supplemental" auction draft to get us back up to 25 before the season starts.

Montgomery, Ty GBP RB 
Booker, Devontae DEN RB
Jones, Marvin DET WR
Meredith, Cameron CHI WR
Thielen, Adam MIN WR
Ware, Spencer KCC RB
Williams, Tyrell LAC WR
Murray, Latavius MIN RB
Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB
Newton, Cam CAR QB
Carr, Derek OAK QB 

I'm thinking about cutting 1 QB (probably Ben), Adam, but the last spot I'm having trouble with. Marvin or Devontae? idk

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

May I have some offseason help?

I have to trim my team a bit during the offseason (3 cuts total). .5ppr for WR, .75 for RB. The deal is my league is cutting down from 25-15, then doing a "supplemental" auction draft to get us back up to 25 before the season starts.

Montgomery, Ty GBP RB 
Booker, Devontae DEN RB
Jones, Marvin DET WR
Meredith, Cameron CHI WR
Thielen, Adam MIN WR
Ware, Spencer KCC RB
Williams, Tyrell LAC WR
Murray, Latavius MIN RB
Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB
Newton, Cam CAR QB
Carr, Derek OAK QB 

I'm thinking about cutting 1 QB (probably Ben), Adam, but the last spot I'm having trouble with. Marvin or Devontae? idk

I would go with Devontae, personally. He's just CJA's backup right now and looked like warm poop last year

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I would go with Devontae, personally. He's just CJA's backup right now and looked like warm poop last year

Agreed, and agree that those are the pretty clear cuts (Ben, Thielen, Booker).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree, although if trades are allowed I would see if anyone would be willing to give something for Ben. Like a mid round pick swap or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

If you can swing trades def trade Thielen though. Buzz is starting to bubble up for him because people are ignoring he's going to be Sam Bradford's second, third or fourth option (depending on how you feel about Diggs, Treadwell and Rudolph)

• Locked thread