Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

Gerry Adams running riot on twitter again.
Bad news for politicians with gray beards.

e: 1777 - The code duello is adopted as the proper form for pistol duels in Ireland. It is quickly denounced but nevertheless widely adopted throughout the English-speaking world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ronya posted:

the catch is pretty straightforward, it is coded in the words "it should be clearer to customers that gratuities are optional"; are you really surprised that Tories entirely endorse the idea of customers dangling the possibility of a tip to prompt servility good service? it's Consumer Sovereignty, natch.

my guess is that they're also going to bring down the hammer on schemes to redistribute tips to kitchen staff

Good catch, I think it's the Unite union's enthusiasm over the news that caught me off-guard.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Is it bad to say that tips are optional? Otherwise you end up with a situation like in America where employers are excused from paying their staff a decent wage on the grounds that tips are just a regular part of their salaries rather than being a bonus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tips are bad in the same way that charity and foodbanks are bad. They shouldn't need to exist and act as a bandaid over the real problem. However when Sajid Javid talks about tips being optional I suspect he does not have the same end goal in mind.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I thought working in the kitchen was generally even worse paid and hellish than waiting tables? All the places I've worked as a waitress the kitchens were full of 14 year old kids earning £2 an hour and getting yelled at by the chef.

Tips definitely shouldn't be counted as workers pay, but I don't really see the issue with splitting it between the front and back staff.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Tips are already optional? There's a social obligation but I'm not sure how he's going to diminish that.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/726790291546624000

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/726790257589534720

Slightly more encouraging for Labour. Being beaten into third place in Scotland would suck.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how the Scottish left would spin it either. What exactly did Labour do that makes them worse than the Hitler party?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I thought working in the kitchen was generally even worse paid and hellish than waiting tables? All the places I've worked as a waitress the kitchens were full of 14 year old kids earning £2 an hour and getting yelled at by the chef.

Tips definitely shouldn't be counted as workers pay, but I don't really see the issue with splitting it between the front and back staff.

Splitting the tips evenly between the front and back is fine in principle but from experience the second you create a big pot of money that someone has control over you open a can of worms. The restaurant my partner used to work at did this but it was a tiny business where the head chef owned it with his wife who was also front of house manager, and they obviously then were responsible for distributing the pot among the staff. Long story short there was huge issues with favouritism and generally dodgy stuff. The wife would just treat the tips jar like a piggy bank and take out whatever she wanted whenever she felt like it, while the staff who were more pally with the owners always got a disproportionate cut at everyone else's expense. And because restaurant workers in general - orwell makes this observation in down and out in Paris and London - seen bafflingly averse to any sort of unionisation few complained and nothing ever changed.

Tips need to be held independently of owners by maybe some employee committee if they're going to be distributed. Or else just kept by whoever is given them. Of course that doesn't help the kitchen porters etc. Really the whole industry needs reformed entirely because it's loving poisonous atm.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Problem is, 'splitting tips' normally means that the manager/owner gets a cut, or it's code for one of those ridiculous "tip clubs" that are harmful to workers. I think the ones that can leave a worker earning negative tips are illegal now, but there's still some skeevy margin based ones.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What's a tip club?
That's the second time I've heard them mentioned, but Google only returns some business networking organisation or thinks I've misspelt strip club.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I could just say "hey my waiter/ress was real nice/is obviously working his/her arse off so they should get a little bit more money and then they get the money.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I usually pay with my card and then give the waiter/ress a tip in cash :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Marenghi posted:

What's a tip club?
That's the second time I've heard them mentioned, but Google only returns some business networking organisation or thinks I've misspelt strip club.
This kind of thing.

It's not a pay-to-work scheme, because that would be illegal. It's a tips club, very different.

e: it's okay though, because they've stopped doing the thing that they vehemently denied doing.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 2, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Universal Jobmatch is completely loving useless. Hardly any jobs on there, and those that are are usually zero hour poo poo I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

It was a requirement that you use it to search for x amount of jobs, though. I didn't give them permission to access my account (and neither should anyone else). It's not required at all, regardless of how much they try to force it on you.

I would take in print outs. Eventually when it was apparent that wasting any significant time on that poo poo was pointless and actually counter-productive to getting a job I used used developer mode in the browser to edit the dates for the past two week period and looked for jobs elsewhere.

Eventually found one on a completely unrelated site.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Tips are already optional? There's a social obligation but I'm not sure how he's going to diminish that.

I suspect the idea is that a lot of places automatically add tips to the bill, guilt-tripping their customers into paying them. Given that the Tories aren't big on consumer protection either I don't see how it counts as a mark against them, though.

If anything it'll help prevent shady businesses guilt-tripping consumers and skimming the tips from the rank-and-file staff, so actually this does seem like a win to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Universal Jobmatch is completely loving useless. Hardly any jobs on there, and those that are are usually zero hour poo poo I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

It was a requirement that you use it to search for x amount of jobs, though. I didn't give them permission to access my account (and neither should anyone else). It's not required at all, regardless of how much they try to force it on you.

I would take in print outs. Eventually when it was apparent that wasting any significant time on that poo poo was pointless and actually counter-productive to getting a job I used used developer mode in the browser to edit the dates for the past two week period and looked for jobs elsewhere.

Eventually found one on a completely unrelated site.

Highfive date editing buddy.

It's slightly terrifying how easy it is for someone with a bit of technical knowledge to get around stuff like that, it sucks because it only catches people who make mistakes or who don't know what they're doing, anyone committed to defrauding the state could do so easily.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Tories were looking into this only because their PARTY OF THE WORKING CLASS living wage got an entirely predictable reaction of restaurants raising wages by cutting benefits

stuff like this

quote:

The new deal increases basic pay to £7.35 an hour, higher than the national living wage, but cuts overtime from double time to time and a quarter. Unite says most workers will lose out, because they regularly do more than 10 hours of overtime a week. But Seachill said the vast majority of our employees would see their pay improve overall.

smells oddly like the JD contract dispute

we are, I think, at a logical endpoint of a SPAD somewhere thinking about how to put all the scroungers to work: it implies that zero-hour basic-pay jobs must be relatively more common, and so the nature of mass workplaces must be altered so that they rely less on the handful who do a lot of overtime and thereby cost a lot. this also diminishes the inequality statistics, albeit for entirely the wrong reasons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

anyone committed to defrauding the state could do so easily.
*edits to say I've applied for 30,000 jobs in Panama*

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not sure how the Scottish left would spin it either. What exactly did Labour do that makes them worse than the Hitler party?

Not sure about the rest of Scotland but Glasgow Labour are breathtakingly corrupt and incompetent in almost every way imaginable. See for example numerous dodgy land deals around the Commonwealth Games, ruining George Square then spending £100k commissioning a redevelopment plan which was abandoned and ended up with a Police investigation into the whole process and the former Council leader having (alleged) links with organised crime and a massive drug problem. And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Khan is basically a non-blairite Blairite. He's pro-cuts to government services and spouts tosh about keepin' r females safe in his campaign crud. He also says he's pro-nationalisation, but my local Labour option for the assembly is a senior manager in southeastern, so er, I'm guessing his nationalisation means 'endless PFI'.

Basically the least poo poo candidates are Caroline Pidgeon, but gently caress Lib Dems forever and realistically they will not ever get elected while south london remembers Simon Hughes. Or Sophie Walker who is not poo poo, but a one platform thing, so never gonna happen like the greens.
I just never trust Lib Dems again ever since Nick Clegg became Cameron's arse-wiping doormat forevermore, it was the one time I voted for Lib Dems just in the vain hope they would have some equal footing against the Conservative Party but nope they just let Eton boys walk all over their loving parsnip faces. Even though Willie Rennie was pretty fantastic in the Dundee Question Time (at least for me), I don't wanna get burned by Lib Dems again so I can see why people don't vote for them outside of the Shetland Isles.

peanut- posted:

Clear proof that the British public shouldn't be given a say on important issues

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/727070641787129856
To be fair, I think we just want to save face because almost nobody votes for Britain in Eurovision. Most of the countries don't really like us, and those that do only give us pity points that never amount to more than "cinq points" due to the fact we are horrendously poo poo with music on the Eurostage.

I mean, I would vote Leave Eurovision despite Remain in Europe, it's not like Eurovision really knows what's Europe and what's not considering Russia, Georgia, Israel and Turkey are all in this contest and very definitely not in the EU.
Shout-out to Australia for their future entrees in twenty-something.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Horrendously corrupt schemes in their Glasgow branch, plus their constant dilly-dallying with Trident to be taken out and then put back in even though it's way up in Scotland and we're not allowed to touch it because Daddy England might want to use it one day even if he never will and just wastes more money on it that could be used to...like...maybe...help people that live here or something i dunno??? It's like the really expensive car Westminster keeps in a garage here whilst the rest of us are dragging shopping carts behind us.

Though in all fairness I don't know how many people in Scotland actually want Trident to stay or not. That's certainly one of the reasons, even if not the main.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I work in a very busy bar and I don't know how the waiting staff do it but the night bar staff split all their tips between the 6 bartenders and 3 bar backs that are working that shift, on the night. Everyone likes it because everyone gets the same amount, and the bartenders who, for example, are more chatty, aren't making way more than those who tend to just do a higher volume. Plus if you have a bad night or something you don't get stiffed. It just seems like a nice, fair, equitable way to do it.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Jakabite posted:

I work in a very busy bar and I don't know how the waiting staff do it but the night bar staff split all their tips between the 6 bartenders and 3 bar backs that are working that shift, on the night. Everyone likes it because everyone gets the same amount, and the bartenders who, for example, are more chatty, aren't making way more than those who tend to just do a higher volume. Plus if you have a bad night or something you don't get stiffed. It just seems like a nice, fair, equitable way to do it.

That is good, as said before we give like a fifth of a quarter of our tips into a pool at the end of each night which is split between bar backs and glass collectors because there's is a hard, lovely job and also the most important in the pub yet no customer would ever tip one walking past.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jakabite posted:

This seems like it would just take one douchebag who gives terrible service and gets no tips to ruin the system, since everyone would get pissed off with them getting the same amount as people who work for it. Basically benefits street all over again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but if you have one person at work making everyone's job harder that's sort of the thing that you would bring up.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
We don't have glass collectors, that job is kinda shared between the floor manager and the bouncers. Being a floor manager doesn't get you tips, I think, but you clock off early and can have a few drinks on a high discount. Working the cash desk doesn't get you tips either but you sit on your arse for 8 hours and then help with the cleanup.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

jabby posted:

This seems like it would just take one douchebag who gives terrible service and gets no tips to ruin the system, since everyone would get pissed off with them getting the same amount as people who work for it. Basically benefits street all over again.

I dunno, nobody really keeps track of their own tips unless they're killing it on one night, it's just never really come up before. I think if someone's bad enough that they're never getting tipped, they're probably going to be getting fired quite quickly anyway.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Only 4/10 more years of Pissflaps moaning about Corbyn and people beating the skeletal horse of "this is bad for Corbyn".

I need a drink.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

alright which Student Union is this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would hope not one with a biology department because otherwise that is very easily refutable.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The stupidest thing in this image is that someone printed out an email and took a photo of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Random Integer posted:

Not sure about the rest of Scotland but Glasgow Labour are breathtakingly corrupt and incompetent in almost every way imaginable. See for example numerous dodgy land deals around the Commonwealth Games, ruining George Square then spending £100k commissioning a redevelopment plan which was abandoned and ended up with a Police investigation into the whole process and the former Council leader having (alleged) links with organised crime and a massive drug problem. And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

There was practically nothing about the Commonwealth Games bid that wasn't scummy as gently caress. The Clydesdale Bank told over 150 back office staff in Aberdeen that they were being laid off citing an inability to afford them, then the next day announced their sponsorship of the Games bid.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Baron Corbyn posted:

The stupidest thing in this image is that someone printed out an email and took a photo of it.

Stop the screenshotting of letters. Monitors cannot view "emails"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stop the writing of petitions, words are purely projections of semiotic constructs that cannot actually convey 'ideas'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FinalGamer posted:

I mean, I would vote Leave Eurovision despite Remain in Europe, it's not like Eurovision really knows what's Europe and what's not considering Russia, Georgia, Israel and Turkey are all in this contest and very definitely not in the EU.
Shout-out to Australia for their future entrees in twenty-something.

See like most Sun readers you're conflating a completely independent European institution with the European Union. The EBU was formed a year before the European Coal and Steel Community, the eldest of the EU's ancestors, and included Lebanon - very much not a European nation - from the beginning.

When the first Eurovision was held the EEC was still a twinkle in the eye of bureaucrats negotiating the first Treaty of Rome, and the EBU had admitted Israel and was negotiating to add Morocco, Algeria, and Jordan (unfortunately the Suez adventure and subsequent unpleasantness kept them out until the 60s).

Also the EBU has absolutely no opinion on how straight our bananas should be, whether or not we're allowed to torture people for looking a bit foreign, or how much tax you should be allowed to dodge, unlike those other, younger institutions. All it cares about is making sure people in Venice can watch telly without interference from Serbian stations, that your car radio shows the correct FM station no matter where you drive, and beaming the cheesiest pop music possible to the peoples of it's extended family.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jakabite posted:

You agree on that between yourselves though, rather than having it imposed on you from above. :anarchists:

Brb, gotta tell my haematologist mother that half her career has been a sham.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the EBU has absolutely no opinion on how straight our bananas should be, whether or not we're allowed to torture people for looking a bit foreign, or how much tax you should be allowed to dodge, unlike those other, younger institutions. All it cares about is making sure people in Venice can watch telly without interference from Serbian stations, that your car radio shows the correct FM station no matter where you drive, and beaming the cheesiest pop music possible to the peoples of it's extended family.

Bolded parts contradicting each other, fyi

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dabir posted:

alright which Student Union is this

all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the EBU has absolutely no opinion on how straight our bananas should be, whether or not we're allowed to torture people for looking a bit foreign
Fairly sure forcing thousands to listen to this atrocity would later be denounced by the UN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw

• Locked thread