Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
May Chat thread AKA The Maggott Appreciation Megathread

So here we go. The May chat thread where we can talk about whatever we want (whether it be somewhat comic book related or not). And because we can talk about whatever we want, I want to take a moment to discuss something. Right here. In this space.
You see, growing up in South Africa and reading comics, I didn’t have much options when it came to a local superhero to root for. Russia had Colossus, Canada had Captain Canuck (and some short angry loser), and Australia had Captain Boomerang. But me, well I had nothing. Nothing!
Nothing. That is until that modern day Chris Claremont known as Scott Lobdell decided to make the X-Men even more worldly, and by doing so created the South African mutant - Maggott. And he was the hero we all deserved.

Now I didn’t actually read any comics featuring Maggott as I was more of a Batman fan (and how I longed for Batman to have a young, wise cracking, South African sidekick), but going through Maggott;s wiki site I have found his origin to be this:

wiki posted:

Maggott had been born a sickly child in Apartheid-era South Africa and was named Japheth. He was always very ill and he could not digest solid food. Feeling himself to be a burden on his family, he ran away from home with his younger brother. Having left home, hoping to die, he was found by Magneto who released the slugs from his body and revealed to Japheth his mutant power. This turned his skin blue for the first time, and he named the slugs Eany and Meany. Compassionate at heart, Japheth immediately rejected Magneto's philosophy and his offer to join him after he shortly witnessed later the Master of Magnetism brutally massacre numerous white South African soldiers who were engaged in racist atrocities against black South African civilians (despite the fact that one of these civilians was Japheth's eldest brother who died in the violence). In spite of this, he later sought out Magneto when he got older, for help in easing the pain caused by his unique mutation. After the then-current roster of the team parted ways, the X-Man Beast suggested Maggott transfer to the junior team Generation X, but his tenure there lasted only one issue and afterwards he fell out of sight

Cool I guess. A blue man with two metal slugs who eat for him. Sure I would have preferred a South African superhero with actual cool powers, but at least he was South African. Also wiki says that he spoke in “Afrikaans slang”, so much like Colussus’s Boz Moi, I am sure Maggott used such terms as “voetsak”, “bliksom” and “Doos”.
Funnily enough I was in South Africa recently and stepped into some second hand junk shop where there were some comics for sale. I came across an X-Men comic with Maggott in it, and - debated the idea of buying a comic with Maggott in a store in South Africa. In the end I decided to say gently caress it, I will not buy a comic with Maggott in it because seriously gently caress Maggott. He looks like a terrible character. It doesn't matter if he is from my homeland, I hate him now and forever. I hope his stupid intestines ended up eating him alive or some such bullshit. Reading his wiki entry I realise that Maggott was probably the most useless mutant ever, and I now also hate Lobdell for wasting the potential of a South African comic character. gently caress you too Lobdell, you hack.

Anyway, feel free to discuss things un-Maggott-related, because he really isn't worth this many words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why's he red?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Why's he red?

Maggott briefly split into two beings, Maggott Red and Maggott Blue, a short while after his intestine slugs were replaced with electricity

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

is maggott the worst X-Man character? hard to think of any that are.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So wait...

Maggott's mutant power is that he can command two slugs?

God the X-Men suck.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Freedom Beast is from South Africa. He's pretty rad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr Hootington posted:

Mr. X is a mutant and originated as a Wolverine villain. He counts.

Mr. X is the loving worst.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do his pants have a built in jock or does he just have an enormous bulge?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Inkspot posted:

Freedom Beast is from South Africa. He's pretty rad.

Jeez guys, his pants aren't that tight.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It is a panel from Midnighter, so...

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

So wait...

Maggott's mutant power is that he can command two slugs?

God the X-Men suck.

No, Maggott's power is that he's a starving African child that found a way to eat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For just 50 cents a day, less than a cup of coffee, you too can help mutate a starving African child into a horrific abomination with an external digestive system made of gigantic loving maggots.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've been reading through Wolverine recently, I just finished reading #101 and I've got to wonder who's bright idea was it to turn wolverine into a savage beast that can barely speak with one of the ugliest character designs ever? I could see doing that if was like background in the X-men books but he had his own series at the time. Did no one think that was a horrible idea?*

*I know he turns back later with no explanation but the initial event still happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gavok posted:

Mr. X is a mutant and originated as a Wolverine villain. He counts.

Mr. X is the loving worst.

He is? I liked him in Thunderbolts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What is the lumpy white stuff?

Edit: I like how it looks like he's throwing a dozen knives, but all that poo poo is actually his costume.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the officially licensed X-Men Ponytail clips are the best part of his suit. But there's so many other great parts.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who the gently caress is that guy?

X-Men remain the worst.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Adam X THE XTREME (the italics and bold are part of his name.)

He was, once upon a time, meant to be the 3rd Summers brother.

His power is setting people's blood on fire. Which obviously a hero needs to do a lot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is Adam X the X-Treme X-Man.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This goes without saying but that's a Liefeld original right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, it's a product of the '90s though. I think Tony Daniel designed his amazing look.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

This goes without saying but that's a Liefeld original right?

No that's Fabian Nicieza and Tony Daniel.

He and Shatterstar were awesome ponytail bros.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You really have to admire Adam-X's commitment though.

Like if I found out my power was setting blood on fire my first thought would be "Well I guess I'm a supervillain now. I better go cut boob windows into all my clothes". But Adam-X hears that and he still convinces himself no, he can be a hero. Then he's handed a shirt, armbands and gloves with just loving knives all over the place. He can't even go near other people with that stuff, if he's not careful just walking down the street he could eviscerate someone. Still though, Adam-X tells himself he can be a hero.

We should all aspire to be as dedicated to heroism as Adam X.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh yeah Shatterstar. He's the best X-Man because he has the most amazing origin of all time.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr Hootington posted:

If Maggot were the worst of the X-Men, the X-Men would be pretty good.

Like I'd say at the very least, Bamfs collectively are the worst X-Men character.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 1, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're way better than when Nightcrawler found religion

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I forgot to mention bit in this thread there is no talking I'll of Adam X the Xxxxxxtreme!!!!!!!

He boils blood by the way

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gillen's Uncanny X-Men made a total joke out of Adam X, so he gets to move up the rankings a bit. Turning an Asgardian Juggernaut into a flaming Asgardian Juggernaut takes him from useless to a liability in battle.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

They're way better than when Nightcrawler found religion

:colbert: My favorite part about Nightcrawler is just how every aspect of his background/character doesn't fit together. He's really Catholic! He's a swashbuckling circus acrobat! He's Mystique's son!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nightcrawler is really one of the most 'simple idea gets a bunch of stuff added on over time" characters out there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

nightcrawlers look and power are cool. man the way you all talk i'm giong to be super sad when I read x-men comics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just pretend nothing exists for nightcrawler outside of Excalibur and his 80s limited series where kitty and magik get Kurt arrested for public nudity

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Wait Nightcrawler is Rogue's brother?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

nightcrawlers look and power are cool. man the way you all talk i'm giong to be super sad when I read x-men comics.

Modern X-Men are a bit of a rollercoaster of quality but I'd say it's overall still good. The glory days are over but you got books like Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, etc and currently ongoing books like All-New Wolverine (probably my 2nd favorite Marvel book) and Old Man Logan that are really good.

E:

AlmightyBob posted:

Wait Nightcrawler is Rogue's brother?

They rarely talk about it, but yup. He's Mystique's biological son, she's her adoptive daughter. They didn't grow up together I don't think so it doesn't really affect much.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I remember Maggot saying "STRUTH" a lot. I also remember him dying in a concentration camp.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hey guys I heard Nightcrawler has two di

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I think Marvel just loves devising horrible tortures for the mutants who were in Generation X. Kill them in mutant concentration camps, have them be crucified on the front lawn of the Xavier mansion, let Larry Hama write them for a few years. Is there no end to the punishment?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

M came out okay. Jubilee is a vampire and those are cool.

Chamber had his face back for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Little Mac posted:

M came out okay. Jubilee is a vampire and those are cool.

Chamber had his face back for awhile.

Yea but Skin had his friends make out over his grave which had his name misspelled on the tombstone. Generation X were either incompetent or vindictive.

• Locked thread