Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
google THIS

It's that time again, BYOB.

May is Ichthyosis Awareness Month. Time to learn about Ichthyosis and help a good cause!

What is Ichthyosis?

Ichthyosis is a group of rare genetic skin disorders generally characterized by scaling or plating of the skin. "Genetic" means--and you probably know this but it's astounding how many people don't--that they were born with the condition, there is no cure, and it can't be passed to others. The scaling is what gives ichthyosis it's name (ichthyo- = fish).

(This is an example of ichthyosis scaling. This person probably has ichthyosis vulgaris, the most common and least serious type)

Most of these conditions are autosomal recessive, so people who are born with it usually come from two carrier parents who have no freaking idea what they're getting into. The different types vary in severity from "annoying" to "a few decades ago almost no one survived past infancy," and even within a type there is a broad spectrum of presentation depending on how badly the affected gene is damaged, but here are some of the common symptoms, complications, and other problems:

• Skin that is dry, peely, scaly, red, cracked, and/or tight. Appearance can sometimes mimic psoriasis, eczema, sunburn, or actual burns
  • Overheating
  • Skin infections
  • Difficulty wearing regular clothing without irritation
  • Hyperkeratosis (excessive buildup of skin/scale/callous)
  • Allergies
  • Very high caloric/nutritional needs
  • Alopecia

Why do you care?

My three-year-old son was born with Netherton Syndrome, one of the most severe types of Ichthyosis.

Why is Awareness Important?

You may have never encountered someone affected by ichthyosis and there's a chance you never will, but because the conditions are so rare and because they can cause a person to look dramatically "different," everyone who knows about ichthyosis is one less person who can ruin an affected person or family member's day. Social ostracization, bullying, staring, questioning, and comments can cause more misery than the actual medical aspects of their condition. Some things to consider:

• "Affected" is the generally accepted PC way to refer to someone who has a condition to distinguish them from someone who doesn't, i.e. "My son has ichthyosis, and he also has a sibling who isn't affected." It sounds a lot better than "My son 'suffers from' ichthyosis, and he also has a 'normal' sibling."
  • People who are dramatically different looking have to run an obstacle course every time they go to a public place trying to minimize the stares, comments, and questions they get. Even innocent curiosity can become tiresome. Some affected people and families have taken to bringing "business cards" with a brief explanation so they don't have to repeat a spiel over and over again just to get through the grocery store.
  • Affected individuals by and large are completely typical, cognitively (in one exception, CHILD syndrome, the skin condition aspect is almost an afterthought).
  • Ichthyosis can be isolating. It's hard to find exact numbers on its prevalence, but for a little perspective, if you are affected, you are probably your dermatologist's only ichthyosis patient. As far as we know, our son is the only child with Netherton syndrome in Ohio, at least the only one who has connected with other patients through social media groups and the FIRST Foundation.

What is the FIRST Foundation?

The Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types (yeah I know, it's redundant to say "FIRST Foundation" is redundant) is an awesome charity and a beacon of hope for those affected by ichthyosis. Among other things, they fund research and genetic testing (some families have to wait years for an official genetic diagnosis), and they host and sponsor events, summer camps, etc. so families can network and meet other affected individuals. Their biannual US national family conference will take place in San Diego this June, and you'd better believe I will be there.

FIRST is a small but highly ethical charity, with about 80% of spend going directly to programs and services as verified by their independently audited financial statements. (source: http://www.firstskinfoundation.org/content.cfm/Ichthyosis/Annual-Report-Financials/page_id/950). If you can make a donation in any amount it would be much appreciated. And remember, BYOB, dogs can have ichthyosis too.

I'm going to try to make at least one informative effortpost per week through the month of May. Coming up: some explanation of the various types of ichthyosis, and later, my son's own story.

TL;DR

May is Ichthyosis Awareness Month. Ichthyosis is a group of rare genetic skin disorders ranging from "slightly dry/scaly skin" to "severely disfiguring/life-threatening". My three-year-old son is affected by a severe form of Ichthyosis called Netherton Syndrome. As such I like to participate in Ichthyosis awareness and plug the FIRST Foundation, a non-profit that spreads awareness, funds medical research, and runs events that help affected individuals and families learn and network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net

i looked up some pictures of it, almost everyone in those pictures is crying so it doesnt look like a fun time

Darkman Fanpage
sorry about your fish kid google this

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

chances are you are the only person in your state posting in byob is here perhaps a correlation let us seek out the terrible secret of byob

Business Gorillas

:harambe:

i have some pretty good jean-etics *sticks butt out and wiggles it at u* :grin:

MrWillsauce

wow I'm aware now. good job!

SIDS Vicious

Fish also get sick with something called ich it makes them grow white stuff on their scales

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

this thread makes me want to encounter someone with ichthyosis so i can be all no big deal

cuntman.net

holy poo poo

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Sorry to hear about your kid google THIS, fingers crossed and keep fighting. My kid had 3 kidneys and had to remove one when he was 2 years old, less serious than this it seems but yeah - kids being sick is the worst. Maybe more so for the parents than the kids, the are just "used to" it... While we sit and worry our loving asses off.

<3 <3 Vanisher

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
stay safe little baby

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

treasure bear

i hope your son gets to have a working SPINK5 gene some day soon.

1000 Sweaty Rikers

I previously thought Ichthyosis was a dinosaur, so thankyou OP

1000 Sweaty Rikers

(jokes aside, I wish the best for you and your kid)

google THIS

TWIST FIST posted:

i looked up some pictures of it, almost everyone in those pictures is crying so it doesnt look like a fun time

that's because you're mostly seeing either medical photos or buzzfeed articles that probably don't even have the name of the condition right. while I don't want to minimize the medical, emotional, social, and financial struggles these conditions bring about, these people's lives are not pure misery

Celluloid Sam posted:

Fish also get sick with something called ich it makes them grow white stuff on their scales

ironically, that's actually healthy human skin

emptyquote

treasure bear posted:

i hope your son gets to have a working SPINK5 gene some day soon.

this could actually happen. there is a British study that modifies a skin patch using ex vivo gene therapy to replace the faulty gene. the theory is that even a few square inches of skin producing the healthy protein could have generalized benefits

SniperWoreConverse

OP I hope your kid has the +AC -Charisma version so he can at least make it work somehow.

If not, i'm certain medicine will be developed

Uxzuigal posted:

Sorry to hear about your kid google THIS, fingers crossed and keep fighting. My kid had 3 kidneys and had to remove one when he was 2 years old, less serious than this it seems but yeah - kids being sick is the worst. Maybe more so for the parents than the kids, the are just "used to" it... While we sit and worry our loving asses off.

dang was it like a bonus one that was in the wrong place or something? shoving the pancreas over or some poo poo? too much filtration power overwhelmed the bladder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse

also I put my money where my post is, specified research

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Yeah, the bonus one was cystic+fused with the functioning liver. He's got OK liver function now 40% on one, 60% on the other. (Supose to be 50/50). Wont suffer anything bad from it.

Was kinda "funny" - kid went into surgery, slept most of the day after narcosis. Next day he wakes up shouting my name in bed, takes 1 painkiller. Starts walking around the hospital with me, removes wires, no complaints or anything. Next day he wakes up jumping in bed. Doctors are shocked, take em to ultrasound: internal wound with minimal scar tissue... Get sent home same day. Was supose to stay 7-10days... Heh. Kid's bad rear end. Love em.

<3 <3 Vanisher

Lutha Mahtin

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

op i hope your kid grows up to lead a healthy successful life

if he turns out to be a goon i'm sure he'll have a blast freaking out david icke followers

big black turnout

sorry to hear your kid has the grey scale, op. ive heard there's a place to send them though

(seriously though sorry to hear that are there treatments or what?)

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

For some reason i always thought there was an L somewhere in the word ichthyosis, but this thread has made me aware of its absence. thank you, and I hope for all the best for your son

google THIS

Uxzuigal posted:

Yeah, the bonus one was cystic+fused with the functioning liver. He's got OK liver function now 40% on one, 60% on the other. (Supose to be 50/50). Wont suffer anything bad from it.

Was kinda "funny" - kid went into surgery, slept most of the day after narcosis. Next day he wakes up shouting my name in bed, takes 1 painkiller. Starts walking around the hospital with me, removes wires, no complaints or anything. Next day he wakes up jumping in bed. Doctors are shocked, take em to ultrasound: internal wound with minimal scar tissue... Get sent home same day. Was supose to stay 7-10days... Heh. Kid's bad rear end. Love em.

kids are pretty badass in general and i can't believe how resilient they are. glad your kid's ok

google THIS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also I put my money where my post is, specified research

i'm not quite sure what you're getting at but here's some specified research if you feel you're lacking it http://www.firstskinfoundation.org/content.cfm/Ichthyosis/FIRST-Funded-Research-Projects/page_id/972

SniperWoreConverse

nah I donated and specified I wanted the money to go to "unrestricted research"

google THIS

cool, thank you :)

Macnult

If it weren't for byob I would have most likely never heard about Ichthyosis. Sorry that your kid has experience something like that, google THIS. I'll make a donation to FIRST once I get my paycheck this Friday.

Robot Made of Meat

Your support for this cause is indeed admirable, but I'm a bit concerned about the whole "unrestricted" nature of this research . . .

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

SniperWoreConverse

real research means getting your hands dirty. *dissects cadavers bought from grave robbers*

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Macnult posted:

If it weren't for byob I would have most likely never heard about Ichthyosis. Sorry that your kid has experience something like that, google THIS. I'll make a donation to FIRST once I get my paycheck this Friday.

same but Monday or Tuesday

also: I'm getting this eerie feeling that the mantis project thread just may be this "unspecified research"... :ohdear:

peanut

Stay safe op kid

Robot Made of Meat

peanut posted:

Stay safe op kid

Just remember: OP's kid has awesome parents!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

eonwe

When I get paid I will make a small donation

alnilam

I've been aware of ichthyosis since last may and I've even told a few people about it since then. I hope you're kid is doing well Jett

Piso Mojado

google THIS posted:

this could actually happen. there is a British study that modifies a skin patch using ex vivo gene therapy to replace the faulty gene. the theory is that even a few square inches of skin producing the healthy protein could have generalized benefits

do you know the name of the guy, or the paper title?

I've been reading a little of the lit and there is some good news. Given it's location, size, and the fact you only need a single functioning copy between the pair, this most likely is going to be a curable disease in the near future through gene editing via CRISPR-Cas or similar technique. Its only going to take another few years to get the science there, and another decade after that to get regulation in place, but I'm pretty confident that by the time that child is in college, there will be an effective cure in place for these kinds of conditions, and possibly a wholesale elimination of the mutation itself from the genetic pool.

So I guess I'm saying that it may be rough now, but you can be happy knowing that he will not have to deal with it all his life.

google THIS

Piso Mojado posted:

do you know the name of the guy, or the paper title?

I've been reading a little of the lit and there is some good news. Given it's location, size, and the fact you only need a single functioning copy between the pair, this most likely is going to be a curable disease in the near future through gene editing via CRISPR-Cas or similar technique. Its only going to take another few years to get the science there, and another decade after that to get regulation in place, but I'm pretty confident that by the time that child is in college, there will be an effective cure in place for these kinds of conditions, and possibly a wholesale elimination of the mutation itself from the genetic pool.

So I guess I'm saying that it may be rough now, but you can be happy knowing that he will not have to deal with it all his life.

here's a writeup https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01545323

as I understand it, the procedure is to take a skin biopsy, fix the mutated gene using a retrovirus (which, interestingly, is genetically modified HIV), grow it to about 20 cm², and graft it back onto the patient, where hopefully becomes a factory producing healthy LEKTI protein

i'd try to get in line for the trial but it's across the pond and they're only accepting adults at the moment

a fragile ego

hi google THIS, i appreciated your thread about this last year and i'm glad that you and your son are still doing good. best of luck to you and my prayers go out to all people affected by ichthyosis.

google THIS

thank you everyone for your generosity and interest. you're good people :)

I've been trying to cobble together an effortpost about the various types of ichthyosis. I've realized that a) I'm pretty ignorant on the specifics of a lot of the types because I am, I guess understandably, pretty focused on Netherton syndrome, which is an outlier and has a lot less in common with other types of ichthyosis than they have with each other. also it's hard to find example photos of a quality that I'd like

I think what I'll do at this point is compile some good info links and maybe add them to the OP and move on with my experience with my son

google THIS

i think it was very smart planning on the part of FIRST to make the 2016 ichthyosis awareness month logo using the byob colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
apparently byob is a trendsetter, i see the words "chill" and "byob" everywhere and all of a sudden lots of people like weed and stuff like weed

• Locked thread