Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Epic High Five posted:

The best part about Trump running third party the whole time out of the purest, Nixonian anger against the GOP is that once he's laid waste to the party by splitting their vote in half when it was already insufficient, he can just say he was never really a Republican and they were huge dummies for letting him run as one. He almost ran for president as a Democrat, ya dummies! Sad!
That, or somehow out of a brokered convention comes JEB! and Trump runs the most anti-JEB! campaign possible. Not even "Vote for me! I'll make Mexico build a wall" but "JEB IS WEAK AND USELESS AND A LOSER NEVER VOTE JEB"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that five years ago tonight, we learned that Barack Obama was going to be re-elected.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Reminder that five years ago tonight, we learned that Barack Obama was going to be re-elected.

We also learned (but didn't realize) that Trump would be running in 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Has Andrew Sullivan's new article made an appearance here yet?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/04/america-tyranny-donald-trump.html

The conclusion:

Andrew Sullivan posted:

"For Trump is not just a wacky politician of the far right, or a riveting television spectacle, or a Twitter phenom and bizarre working-class hero. He is not just another candidate to be parsed and analyzed by TV pundits in the same breath as all the others. In terms of our liberal democracy and constitutional order, Trump is an extinction-level event. It’s long past time we started treating him as such."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, he scorched the gently caress out of the press, which was funny as poo poo. My favorite line of his was kind of a throwaway when he's like "Who you killing tonight?" to Obama.

And he answered with a smile that says, "Wouldn't you like to know, Larry?"

I am going to miss Obama. We are never going to have a president who can so regularly upstage the talent at the WHCD. Hey, can we bring him back to host? Imagine how goddamn salty the GOP would be if Obama hosted Hillary Clinton's Correspondence dinner?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr. Fowl posted:

And he answered with a smile that says, "Wouldn't you like to know, Larry?"

I am going to miss Obama. We are never going to have a president who can so regularly upstage the talent at the WHCD. Hey, can we bring him back to host? Imagine how goddamn salty the GOP would be if Obama hosted Hillary Clinton's Correspondence dinner?

Personally I don't think it would be appropriate for a sitting Supreme Court Justice to host such an event.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Honestly its going to be super strange for a former President to remain in DC after his term is over. I know its for his kid's school and not because the Obamas want to continue haunting DC and cast a pall over the next President but its still weird to think about 2 Presidents being in the city at the same time.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

MC Nietzche posted:

Honestly its going to be super strange for a former President to remain in DC after his term is over. I know its for his kid's school and not because the Obamas want to continue haunting DC and cast a pall over the next President but its still weird to think about 2 Presidents being in the city at the same time.

For some reason this has conjured an image in my mind of Hillary sitting at her oval office desk writing something and trying to ignore Obama's head just barely peeking out of the windows behind her as he watches silently. Watches and judges.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xanderkish posted:

For some reason this has conjured an image in my mind of Hillary sitting at her oval office desk writing something and trying to ignore Obama's head just barely peeking out of the windows behind her as he watches silently. Watches and judges.

It's not like Francis gives any fucks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Obama Foundation will be based in Chicago so I'm thinking he'll spend a lot of time there.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

BrandorKP posted:

The conclusion:

lol, there should be some kind of middle ground between "Trump's a joke" and "aaaaaah we're all gonna die in the Trumpenreich", right?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MC Nietzche posted:

I think you mean 3 Presidents :colbert:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Spatula City posted:

lol, there should be some kind of middle ground between "Trump's a joke" and "aaaaaah we're all gonna die in the Trumpenreich", right?

The reference to, "only the lightest cork on the whirlpool. He didn’t plot all this thing.". Trump is both a joke and :supaburn::derp::supaburn:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Boon posted:

I think you mean 3 Presidents :colbert:

One's a tough dog to keep on the porch.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

Apparently I won the lottery too. I'm guessing it has to do with supporting Bernie at one time.

I was asking for it with the way I posted.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if some sad, angry goon has been writing a poo poo list this whole time. I haven't said anything about bernie or the primaries the past few months.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I was thinking it was the top x posters by volume.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

One's a tough dog to keep on the porch.

I want a WHCD video where "Baker Street" is being played and there are shots of Willy crushing the sax

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 2, 2016

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Obama is going to be the Reagan of the left. Regardless of all his shortcomings, he was undeniably a cool and likeable President and that's really what will be remembered. I look forward to candidates in the 2044 Democratic Primary debates invoking his name reverently :allears:

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

bowser posted:

Obama is going to be the Reagan of the left. Regardless of all his shortcomings, he was undeniably a cool and likeable President and that's really what will be remembered. I look forward to candidates in the 2044 Democratic Primary debates invoking his name reverently :allears:

I think nearly three decades is more than enough time for Republicans to try to claim him à la JFK. "He'd totally be a Republican today", etc.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

bowser posted:

I sure hope not. The reason he can be spoken thusly is that he went quietly and quickly into the night. Obama being younger and less Alzheimer's-y has years of making GBS threads on the GOP left in him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bowser posted:

Don't worry, the winner will plug into the Obama Memorial, forcing their cyber brain to experience Dreams from the Father and become permanently imbued with fraction of his essence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MC Nietzche posted:

I thought they were getting out as fast as they could. Are they staying so their youngest can finish at her local high school?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

bowser posted:

Except Obama actually did good things for the country and world.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

The conclusion:

I don't know what inspires more visceral hatred within me, Andrew Sullivan describing Trump as a working class hero or the fact that he's right (white working class only).

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
From the way people are talking about it, you'd think Obama was moving in across the street from the White House. Wacky sitcom hijinks ensue!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Can Larry Wilmore write jokes for someone who can actually tell jokes? Maybe make him a contributor to something hosted by Jessica Williams?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nessus posted:

I thought they were getting out as fast as they could. Are they staying so their youngest can finish at her local high school?

That's what they want you to think. The real reason is because Hillary is going to re-write the constitution so that Obama can be crowned King of The United States of America, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Samoa, and Mariana Islands.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Doesn't Michell despise the entire Washington DC scene?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I sure hope not. The reason he can be spoken thusly is that he went quietly and quickly into the night. Obama being younger and less Alzheimer's-y has years of making GBS threads on the GOP left in him.

With the current direction the GOP has been moving in, Obama will be able to keep making GBS threads on them for sure, while doing great things like Carter has post-presidency. His legacy can only get better from here if he doesn't do anything stupid.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Except Obama actually did good things for the country and world.

Oh no doubt, and it will be a delight watching Republicans slowly realize what a big mistake popularizing the term 'Obamacare' was as more people thank it for saving their lives or their children's lives.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Xanderkish posted:

Obama is gonna turn into the kid that rushed a frat and then never made any other friends. And now he just hangs out at the frat house on weekends even though he's 30 and no one knows who the gently caress he is. And no one can kick him out, cause thems the rules and he knows the door code and you can't change the door code cause you lost the manual and everyone is too lazy to call the manufacturer.

Anyway, 12, 16, or 20 years from now the new president is gonna get sworn in and they're gonna go into the Oval Office and Obama gonna be sitting there drinking a beer and smoking and poo poo and the new president is gonna turn to his security detail and go "the gently caress is that?" And the secret service guy is gonna shrug his shoulders and be like "gently caress if I know, sir. Just ignore him if you can..."

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Please, she goes by Michelle now. Anyway yeah that's what people say. It's pretentious enough here as someone totally uninvolved in politics. I can't imagine what they have to deal with.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Barudak posted:

That's what they want you to think. The real reason is because Hillary is going to re-write the constitution so that Obama can be crowned King of The United States of America, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Samoa, and Mariana Islands.

A new age of Guam independence.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

bowser posted:

With the current direction the GOP has been moving in, Obama will be able to keep making GBS threads on them for sure, while doing great things like Carter has post-presidency. His legacy can only get better from here if he doesn't do anything stupid.

Oh no doubt, and it will be a delight watching Republicans slowly realize what a big mistake popularizing the term 'Obamacare' was as more people thank it for saving their lives or their children's lives.

Wonder how much money the birth control mandate will save American tax payers in the long run.

Fiance's IUD cost the copay plus a pregnancy test. It's great.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

A Man With A Plan posted:

Please, she goes by Michelle now. Anyway yeah that's what people say. It's pretentious enough here as someone totally uninvolved in politics. I can't imagine what they have to deal with.

What really is so bad about DC? I only visited briefly but it seemed fine, aside from the metro escalators exposed to the open air (what were they thinking?).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nocturtle posted:

What really is so bad about DC?
Have you ever watched VEEP? You know Jonah? The tall rapefaced Dunning-Kreuger sample case?

Some people in DC think he's a positive portrayal.

Basically it's the land of Ted Cruzites. And the whole town gets treated like Disneyland overnight, resetting it's opulence for the morning crowd.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

The conclusion:

There were/are much crazier people in American politics than Trump. Some were even presidents. I think we're relatively okay all things considered.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Very much so. At the dinner the other night Barack made a joke about her jumping the White House fence. "It's just nine more months, baby."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

What really is so bad about DC? I only visited briefly but it seemed fine, aside from the metro escalators exposed to the open air (what were they thinking?).

DC's actually pretty great. People in politics in DC can be terrible, but most people don't actually have to deal with them. The President is an exception there, but once they're out of the White House most of that misery is gone.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Mystery Goomba posted:

There were/are much crazier people in American politics than Trump. Some were even presidents. I think we're relatively okay all things considered.

Yeah, on the one hand I'm glad people are panicking because that's an appropriate expression of the country's sociopolitical immune system recognizing and preparing to destroy a rather nasty infection, but on the other hand it's so dead certain that it'll be dealt with and disposed of in a few months that I just can't be bothered to start writing about how Trump COULD BE OUR DEMOCRACY'S EXTINCTION :circlefap: IT'S JUST LIKE PLATO PREDICTED WE ARE IN A "LATE-STAGE DEMOCRACY" THE END IS NIGH etc.

...I swear to god though every time I post this someone quotes me to start lecturing about how TrumpTopia is more likely than I think!!! so never fear I'm going to vote and protest and whatever as much as anyone but come on literally no one's going to let those tiny hands get anywhere near the nuclear launch codes.

Nocturtle posted:

DC is cool and good, our psychopath/egomaniac per capita rate is higher than average but this only makes it easier to find people to ridicule, and those rates still aren't as high as Manhattan. Not that this is too difficult.

...that said apologies in advance to women looking for hot dates here because hoo boy it is true that the straight dating scene is flooded with (People Who Think They're) The Next President of the United States.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Spatula City posted:

Why not both?

• Locked thread