Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rabbit rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Did somebody spend like a hundred bux on Yoda avatars last night or is this mod fuckery

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We must study the exceptions to the rule and learn from them

We can create a vaccine against the Yodatar, so that only Green Party voters will get the Yodatar

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

What political message or symbolism does yoda rape represent?

I just paid my rent and have most of my other bills coming due within the week so I'd say it's just a straight up reflection on reality and I'm luke

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

:vince:

Seriously, especially in the last year he has been incredible to watch speak. I can't wait to see what he does post-Presidency when he gives even fewer fucks.

Won't even have to wait this long. How much is he looking forward to teeing off on Trump for months while stumping for Hillary?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Shouldn't it be fairly easy to child-proof guns without affecting even the ability of even the most tremulous, frothy NRA paranoid to fire it in a moment of necessity? Like, add a second safety switch you have to depress to fire in a position where tiny hands couldn't reach it?

Gun safety = gun control = will be violently opposed without any compromise by everybody who doesn't want to explain an F rating on the 2nd amendment to his constituents

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Technically it'd be more accurate to call it Luke rape

there wolf posted:

The last two I read about were in cars. Because if there's any place it's hard to secure your gun away from a small child, it's in a car with a row of seats in the front, a trunk or rear compartment in the back, and your kid strapped to a car seat in the middle.

You forgot about the perfectly pistol-sized glove compartment

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

:five::five::five::five::five:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hint: the gun is by the kid in the backseat because that way in their head, they get carjacked and say, "okay yes but let me get my kid first" and then they grab the gun instead and BLOW THEM AWAY!!!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's not just an avatar, it's a way of life

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

THEN I HAVE BEEN INCORRECTLY MARKED GODDAMNIT

GAZE YE UPON YOUR AVATAR TEXT AND THIS VERY THREAD YOU ARE POSTING IN

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The best part about Trump running third party the whole time out of the purest, Nixonian anger against the GOP is that once he's laid waste to the party by splitting their vote in half when it was already insufficient, he can just say he was never really a Republican and they were huge dummies for letting him run as one. He almost ran for president as a Democrat, ya dummies! Sad!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Reminder that five years ago tonight, we learned that Barack Obama was going to be re-elected.

We also learned (but didn't realize) that Trump would be running in 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

Give it time, and the bombing of that hospital might possibly produce future conservative talk show guests, book writers, even possible US representatives.

I'm saying that Americans are either indifferent to war crimes, or they cheer them on, as long as it's them doing the criming.

I thought the cycle was that we roll in and commit a bunch of war crimes, then award ourselves Oscars 20 years later for movies about how bad we feel about it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CRUZ ADMITTED TO TAKING ILLEGAL CONTRIBUTIONS FROM MINORS

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Welcome to the future of the GOP

It's Robert Morrows all the way down

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What if Trump has to lose time on the campaign trail because he's in court for fraud

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Y'all act like he isn't going to pivot hard to the center.

It's too late for a pivot, 99% of people have heard of him and have strong opinions on his views

He's set in stone, which will be ensured by Clinton running ads endlessly of his positions as previously stated

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

He already said Hillary would be getting 5% of the vote if she were a man and she's winning because she played the woman card, it's just a question of how many more he'll alienate at this point. If Hillary can convert a significant number of young women, it's likely they'll stick around their whole lives, and the demographic trap the Republicans are in gets even more hopeless. We really might never see another Republican president in our lifetimes.

If there was a PredictIt for "Trump tells Hillary she should smile more" I'd be buying into it hard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Since the subject of jobs in rural areas ins pretty important, here's a small Nebraska town rejecting a packing plant because Muslim Somalis might work there:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_29839260/tiny-nebraska-town-says-no-1-100-jobs

See? They LIKE poverty, joblessness, and squalor. The free market has spoken

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SealHammer posted:

Hey guys, USPol tourist who just got here, why no Sanders-Clinton chat in this thread?

The GOP race ended tonight and the Dem one ended 3/15

Cruz suspending his campaign is just a way bigger story than +2 delegates to Bernie

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Periodiko posted:

It kind of already has dude, Trump has ridiculous unfavorability ratings with women.

No, look, they're going to love him. He's already released 3 press releases to that effect in which he tells women that they're going to love him and that they have to

Women LOVE being told what to do by blowhards. Combine that with his outreach to the black community when he was a discriminating slumlord and the fact that PoC and college-educated women making up 51% of the likely electorate and he'll coast into the white house

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

not nearly as many as will vote for her in order to get a second census year blowout. seriously, if they get a candidate with a quarter ounce of charisma they are going to be set in 2020

A definite lock on the SCOTUS for a generation is worth a possibly not great matchup in 2020, especially if gerrymandering is brought before it in the leadup to the 2020 census. It's not like Trump clinching the nom is going to heal the party. Right now they're just hoping that the biggest remaining block is big enough to compete

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Of course, all the charismatic rising starts got carpet bombed by Trump this cycle sooooooo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right. Trump spend the last several months going scorched earth on any so-called "rising star" the GOP had, didn't he?

There's nothing left. The only thing he didn't do is salt the fields. The GOP was already too weak to keep the B and C-listers from jumping in alongside their rather weak A team and then Trump swept the board. There's only D-listers left for 2020 unless they want to try to run a loser.

Before this cycle the young, up and coming future of the GOP were:

1) Scott Walker, who eliminated himself early on and will never, ever be trusted by financiers again. Huge loser, looks weird
2) Jindal, who...I dunno, he was just kind of around and then he bailed I guess? Total non starter loser
3) Marco Rubio, who lost his home state by a hundred thousand percent and will forever be known as a thirsty little loser
4) Jeb, kind of. He wasn't young but he was being groomed for awhile. Low energy, :sad:
5) I feel like there was a 5th but nobody is coming to mind, the carpet bombing was that effective

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Asimo posted:

You're forgetting Ben Carson.

So did everyone else, which is why he dropped out ages ago.

Naw he was a rogue outsider who was transparently just there to grift. He raised like 80 million and rolled it all back into even more fundraising, it was masterfully executed.

The truly funny bit is that if he hadn't been swiftboated by the press he would've punched a bunch of holes in the bottom of the SS Trump, because Trump legit did not have an answer for him. Attacks made him look mean and Carson makes Trump look lucid and coherent so word salad assaults also backfired. Trump just silently fumed while Carson overtook him, and without the press taking Carson out it likely would've continued

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I look forward to Hillary campaign events with Barack, Bernie, Biden, and Bill at them

They should do an empty chair thing like :clint: except have it be an empty spraytan booth instead

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'd love to know the amount she probably spent on social services via taxes. I could probably balance it on my fingertip.

I think the more interesting question, is which government assistance programs does she use that she just hand waves away as being okay because obviously she needs it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

porfiria posted:

Trump doesn't come off as all that smart to me, really. Like with the abortion thing--sure there's an incredible ignorance in not knowing what the party line is, but you'd think a smart person, if he really didn't know, would have the insight to say something along those lines anyway--we should punish the providers, defund PP, make it as rare as possible, etc.

There's a dozen social issues that Trump's enjoying the benefit of the doubt on because he hasn't been attacked on them yet, because the GOP are craven and spineless cowards who don't want to bring up stuff they're emphatically losing on.

I have no doubt at all that once Clinton starts forcing him to take a position on things, he'll no doubt pick some position that's more head scratching and bad than we could all imagine. Especially since the general mood of the electorate won't accept "uhhhh state's rights" or "I prefer to focus on business things" as hand waves anymore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

there wolf posted:

Either they don't recognize it as one because the actual name of the program isn't what they've heard pundits rail against, like not realizing SNAP is food stamps, or they've rationalized that it's not really a social program in their case, but their just due unlike all those other moochers. Like a lot people don't think social security is a social program because they think of it as getting their, and only their, money back, like the government just takes that chunk of your paycheck and puts it in it's own little savings account until your 66.

It's this one btw, for food stamps at least

The rest are just people being idiots or willfully ignorant because it literally says stuff like "tax credit" or "deduction" in the name

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

If you accept the framing that taxes are the government taking money that is rightfully entirely yours (whether or not you go so far as to call it "theft"), then it makes sense that tax credits and deductions wouldn't be considered government benefits. You wouldn't consider someone you walk by on the street to be benefitting you, just because they didn't take the opportunity to rob you.

Things like programs where they literally give you money for having a mortgage definitely is though

In cases of people with negative income tax percentages it manages to both simply be not having money taken from them AND getting a handout

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Easily could be, though I just mean as an effective political strategy. Republicans have won for decades telling people that government can't solve any problems and they must distrust politicians. Trump is the logical conclusion of that argument. If that means that Republicans can't win any more because they keep getting beaten in primaries by increasingly loony non-politicians (as has been happening increasingly since 2010), then they'll need to pivot the party to a new message.

But it could also be that Trump is a phenomenon contained to one man and the Republicans can continue limping along in their shaky alliance with the movement as long as they win elections like 2010 and 2014.

You're right, but the twist is that the next Trump will be worse

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jesus weeps

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Donald Dunce

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just nickname him Swiper so his followers have to explain to their kids why mommy and daddy love the person you hate so much

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm willing to bet at some point Trump is going to draw a face on his hand and announce that Yennifer Yopez is his Hispanic Outreach Coordinator. " Trump loves Mexicans more than we Mexicans love tacos y burritos" .

Not the sort of woman he's going to be seen around

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So like, what's to prevent huge swaths of the south deciding to innovate and turn public schooling into taxpayer funded Bible study?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cabbit posted:

That one poster who wants the army to roll through the Ozarks and salt the earth, presumably.

I mean that does eliminate my concern, I suppose I should've been more specific

:sherman:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Vouchers haven't caught on despite decades of trying, they aren't going to magically succeed after some arbitrary timeframe.

no need for vouchers though, if school districts have as much leeway and freedom as has been proposed and they would need to innovate and try new things, Liberty Council will just figure out some way to make it all neat and legal to directly use taxpayer funds to shutter schools and put it all into Bible study and gay bashing camps and distribute the "How To: Become a Tinpot Theocracy" brochures to every county in the nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

An excellent video featuring Millenials running for various state positions in Congresses and Houses across the country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJN3iZ0vHj8

It's long, but well worth the watch to see the potential political direction of the country.

Secondary recommendation: the Millennials to Snake People chrome extension

• Locked thread