Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
I've been following these threads for about 2 years before I've decided to jump in and give it a go...

I, Grobbendonk, oath to paint the two descent 2 lieutenants Raythen and Gargan Mirklace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
oath addition! 46 exotic scourge units for DZC.

nesbit37 posted:

i, nesbit37, oath for the month of May 47 dropzone commander scourge vehicles, 1 dragon from bones, and 1 eye tyrant from someone on shapeways (28mm). I'll also have some resin work and should get to a couple of electronics this month as well.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I, Foolster41 oath to paint this Reaper Minotaur

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
OATH ADDITION! I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint one Nightmare Edition Whiskey Golem, from Wyrd Games

This MONSTER of a model has been staring me in the face for way too long, and I'm making such good progress on my Closing Time box, I figured it only made sense to add him in this month. Wish me luck!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE!

And a Word Bearers helmet, on the ground where they belong:

No theme on this one; I'll see if I can find a dragon-esque model to do this month.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

Oath addition noted, don't forget to include your original models in your Oath Completion post.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

rkajdi posted:

Hey, just got done the three guys I listed, so let's add some more:

I, rkajdi, Oath that I will paint these Battle Mages as an oath addition:

head58 posted:

May as well give this another try this year.

I, head58, oath these three Guild Ball Alchemist models (Steamforged Games, 28mm) for the month of May: Midas, Calculus and Mercury

drgnvale posted:

I, drgnvale, forgot to oath this last week, 1 28mm Lich dude from Reaper bones:

I'd just take a new picture but he's half done now :(
That's fine! The timestamp is still good

cyberia posted:

I, cyberia, oath this knight figure from the Reaper Bones 'learn to paint' kit for the month of May

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I, Dr. Gargunza, oath to paint in the month of May, 1 each of the following (l-r): Orc Archer; Orc Berserker; converted Orc Hunter (Spear); Orc Marauder (Sword & Shield); Rogan, Half-Orc Rogue; Kavorgh, Orc Warboss; converted Warg; and Frost Wyrm! All Reaper Bones, 28mm scale. The wyrm is zenithal primed, all the rest are unprimed (though the rogue is just, like, covered in liquid greenstuff).

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath to paint in May one Dwarven Battle-wren, plus base

Base is Micro-art Studio I think... the wren is from some company on amazon (designed as a garden ornament), plus copious amounts of Magic Sculp, greenstuff and some decorative bits and shields from Scibor.

Going for Monster May-hem for size (it stands nearly 10cm tall), and the theme challenge as it's decidedly fantasy, but not quite a dragon.

headlor posted:

I, headlor, oath to paint in the month of May, these 7 orc (goblin?) fightmen.

I'm pretty sure they're 28mm LotR orcs from GW from back when we ran a battle companies campaign. Which was a pretty cool skirmish game viewed through rose tinted glasses.

Really I'm starting to dig through the bottom of my miniatures box and trying to clear the backlog
Perfect! Me too :)

Business Gorillas posted:

hello friends, i am actually going to do this this year.

i, Business Gorillas, oath to paint one (1) night goblin fanatic and three (3) dwarf longbeards

edit: this is obviously fitting with the theme challenge
see immediately below:

Zark the Damned posted:

As it's your first Oath Krush will no doubt let you off, but for future ones please note your clock needs to be in American Samoan time -
So please just make sure you follow the correct timestamp format - we're pretty easy on people who haven't posted in a while (or ever) and there are a couple others getting mulligans this month so don't worry about it too much :)

wdarkk posted:

I, wdarkk, Oath for the month of May a Dropzone Commander PHR starter set by Hawk Wargames (plastic, 10mm).

I'm going to claim where are my dragons for the Neptunes, since they're a sci-fi unit that flies and shoots things.
Yep, I'll allow this for the dragons theme

Floppychop posted:

First time taking part in the Oath Thread, and my first entry is a little hazy on legality due to the basecoating.

Months ago I zenithal primed then orange basecoated with an airbrush a Zuriel model. Since it's been sitting unfinished for this long I'm going to use this thread to get my rear end in gear.

If this guy isn't kosher, no big deal. I'll try to get him done and oath something else in time. But if he's legal, then

I, Floppychop, oath to paint a Privateer Press Zuriel Heavy Warbeast.

rkajdi posted:

I, rkajdi, oath to paint Kaelyssa, 2 Assassins, and Narn as an addition for the month:
You're good!

Weirdo posted:

Oath Addition - Seven gnolls from the Reaper Bones line, 28mm.

Fuegan posted:

Well, not sure if this will count towards the May Jurnal but I'm bored of not airbrushing it!

Oath Addition - Space Marine Drop Pod (interior primed with Leadbelcher)
To be fair to everyone, I'd have to say that this doesn't count for the Where are My Dragons?! theme, sorry - but just get it painted!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I Indolent Bastard oath one old lead dragon thing that has been in my minis box for more than 15 years. I don't know the scale, I don't know who made it.

Endman posted:

Sorry I'm late, but I almost forgot I wanted to get in on this whole business!

I, Endman, oath these four dudes with axes (one of whom I already started yesterday, sorry! Maybe just count the three unpainted ones then):
OK, so no biggie, but for future Oath photos try to make sure 'American Samoa' is visible in photo of the timestamp

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath addition!
The Mountain Giant, the Troll and the Mystic Troll from Blood Rage by CMoN.

grobbendonk posted:

I've been following these threads for about 2 years before I've decided to jump in and give it a go...

I, Grobbendonk, oath to paint the two descent 2 lieutenants Raythen and Gargan Mirklace

nesbit37 posted:

Foolster41 posted:

Same for you, please for future Oath photos try to make sure 'American Samoa' is visible in photo of the timestamp

TheFinalTuba posted:

OATH ADDITION! I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint one Nightmare Edition Whiskey Golem, from Wyrd Games

This MONSTER of a model has been staring me in the face for way too long, and I'm making such good progress on my Closing Time box, I figured it only made sense to add him in this month. Wish me luck!
OATHS ACCEPTED!

Sorry I've been away from the thread for a few days! For those that are new or have been away, this is normal, so don't stress if your Oath is not accepted right away. As I've explained before please just carry on painting your models after you've Oathed - if there's some issue with your model or your chosen theme or whatever, I'll ask in the thread and we can get it cleared up. Also, if I've missed someone's Oath, it's not personal! :) just shout up and I'll have a look, it's usually simply a matter of me missing one Oath among a dozen or more to be accepted. The start of the month is a busy time for Oathing, and especially this month as it's the start of a new season!

[quote="Deanut Pancer post="459624158"]Good news everyone! I've updated the app with another 12 months of oath dates. I'm glad some of you found it useful. Happy oathing![/quote]
Thanks once again, this is awesome and super helpful :)

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Cool shoutout to this thread from KR Multicase on their Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153574304331778&id=199053616777

I can't figure out how to post the pics of the painted cases but they all look great :downs:
And this is why KR Multicase is pretty much our title sponsor :)

Pash posted:

Hey quick question. I know things are supposed to be 1 color, but is zenithal primed stuff okay?
Yep!

malal posted:

I agree on the no penalties part. The entire concept behind the thread is to motivate people to paint, and a few incentives do just that.
Having some massive penalty might cause someone to not bother, and it's obvious the more the merrier.
Exactly!

malal posted:

lagniappe
I had to look that up. Here I am thinking I'm relatively well-read!

CommissarRed posted:

School is wrapping up this week, so I'm going to have at least 2 months worth of free time to paint. Shall oath stuff this weekend. Thanks for making the new thread!
Thanks for joining up! It's great to see so many new and old names :) I hope that life doesn't interfere in coming months and everyone continues to Oath!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for May 2016:

1 untidy desk to be sorted out for Spring Cleaning

8 Dwarfs and a Dragon, 28mm by Oathsworn Games

Technically I already started cleaning the desk (to make room for the minis in the other oath pic!) so I hope it's OK!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I thespaceinvader being of sound mind hopefully having time before the end of the month, so hereby oath one (1) TIE Interceptor from Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270 scale.

It will be purple, because purple is the accent colour on my Imps, and it is Carnor Jax, who is a Royal Guard, and would normally be red all over.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

OATH COMPLETE

i'm claiming the theme challenge for these suckers as well

in addition to this, i will also be oathing three (3) dwarf miners

is this one looking better? i think i got the right time zone this time

edit: i also need to figure out how to take pictures smh

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 13, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A lightbox of some kind does wonders, there should be a section about photography in the painting thread OP

OATH ADDITION

• 12x Goblins and 2x Gores by Mantic (28mm)
  • 2x cooking pots, 2x large fires, and picket fence by 3T Studios (25mm)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Getting back on the oath wagon:

Oathing a Reaper Skeletal Dragon, CMON Orsund Cavalier, and 5 Mantic Forge Father Steel Warriors:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

A lightbox of some kind does wonders, there should be a section about photography in the painting thread OP
There is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594526 :)
Anything that gets posted here will be copied to that post as well.

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for May 2016:

1 untidy desk to be sorted out for Spring Cleaning

8 Dwarfs and a Dragon, 28mm by Oathsworn Games

Technically I already started cleaning the desk (to make room for the minis in the other oath pic!) so I hope it's OK!

thespaceinvader posted:

I thespaceinvader being of sound mind hopefully having time before the end of the month, so hereby oath one (1) TIE Interceptor from Fantasy Flight Games in 1:270 scale.

It will be purple, because purple is the accent colour on my Imps, and it is Carnor Jax, who is a Royal Guard, and would normally be red all over.

NTRabbit posted:

OATH ADDITION

• 12x Goblins and 2x Gores by Mantic (28mm)
  • 2x cooking pots, 2x large fires, and picket fence by 3T Studios (25mm)

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Getting back on the oath wagon:

Oathing a Reaper Skeletal Dragon, CMON Orsund Cavalier, and 5 Mantic Forge Father Steel Warriors:

OATHS ACCEPTED!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

in addition to this, i will also be oathing three (3) dwarf miners

is this one looking better? i think i got the right time zone this time

edit: i also need to figure out how to take pictures smh

The time pic ideally needs to show the American Samoa part, but in this case we can make out the time zone.

Don't forget to post everything together when you do your Oath Completion post.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oath Addition: Spring Cleaning!

(original oath post)

I, Pierzak, swear to clean/organize both the desk with my painting station and the gaming table auxiliary painting station permanent temporary storage space for various poo poo I wanted off my desk in the last 8 months or so let's not kid ourselves this is borderline hoarding I mean what the gently caress man why would you even keep half that poo poo

(timged for sick filth)

Desk:

Desk & table:

Same table, another angle:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I knocked the Falcons off my desk and chipped my base coats and shading, loving them up. :(

Stripping to start again now.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
After painting over 40 models in the last two months and having nothing (but sweet models?) to show for it, I finally jump into the Oath thread, or at least dip my toes in with these rinky dink oaths:

I Nichol, hereby oath this Lothern Sea Guard with an extra long spear (it may be a dragon prince lance) and this... Metal Harlequin?

I think the Sea Guard has a dragon on his shield and the Harlie is a definite Rescue. He's been sitting in the bottom of my tool tin for like three years. I think I based him at my friend's house when it was bequeathed to me, and haven't touched it since. I imagine he's been stewing away, battling tweezers and sprue bits with his mighty power weapon. It has been a lonely, futile existence.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Oath complete

I made some poor color choices, got very lazy and sloppy on the cloth highlighting and the model has more mold lines and soft details than any other model I've tried to paint. I think it looks kinda crappy but at least I'm painting again :unsmith:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
oath complete
I dunno, they're painted.
Also, Where are my dragons (shield) or alternatively, fantasy (wooden mail), and rescue!!!

Nichol fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 15, 2016

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

I, Luebbi, pledge these 7 Privateer Press Cygnar Trenchers!

I do realize these fit neither theme, but it's the unit I want to get done the most before Warmachine MK3 hits the scene. The unit is 14 man strong (15 actually, but I used one dude for base decoration), and I already got started on the first half. Depending on how long I take, I might still be able to add something dragon-ey to my oath later this month,.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For May, Galaspar oaths 5 space marines!

Hopefully I haven't left it too late in the month to make a decent job of them. Actually planned this oath a while ago, when the theme for the month was looking to be "paint your oldest model" - that captain in the centre is from 1986, and I figured he'd be a good counterpart to the 30th anniversary marine. Still, kitbashed the wide-grilled fellow on the other side with fur, chain, axe and sword, so I can try for the fantasy theme. He was fun to make, as well!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
cross-posting from the painting thread.

Ok, here is my quick and dirty photo guide.

First off, you'll need two clip lamps with 75 watt daylight bulbs. For the light box itself, i use a white science project trip-tych board, and a sheet of white foam core for the base.

if daylight bulbs are unavailable, either the camera settings need to be matched to the type of bulb used, or bounce boards need to be used. basically, anything to diffuse the glare from the light on the model.

lastly, a small white box helps to keep the seam of the boards out of the picture by raising the model slightly.

Use something to brace the camera or your phone. leaning it against books is great and easy. (you can also variate the height of the camera.)

To make sure the color is right, either adjust the the settings in camera, or modify the finished photo. If it's a digital camera, make sure its set on macro, and the light setting matches the bulb. It also may have an apeture, contrast, birghtness, and F-stop setting. All can be adjusted to make the photo "correct."

for cell phones, most have photo-manipulation in camera. It keeps all of the raw data on the picture, so you can open the photo editing option on the phone and adjust all the same settings after taking the photo.

There are a few apps for changing the settings before taking the picture, but most standard smart phones have the basics needed to edit the photo.

no matter how you adjust the final photo, just use your eyeballs to make sure the model IRL matches the photo of it.

Lastly, when you upload to Imgur, you can adjust the posted size so you don't break tables. sadly, this is unavailable in the app so posting from your phone posts the full size of the picture.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

malal posted:

Lastly, when you upload to Imgur, you can adjust the posted size so you don't break tables. sadly, this is unavailable in the app so posting from your phone posts the full size of the picture.

You can add "h" "l" "s" or "m" (and maybe others?) to the end of the url just before .jpg to produce different sized versions of your picture. The quality may suffer a bit due to imgur's compression.

example:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath addition noted, don't forget to include your original models in your Oath Completion post.

So when I complete a addition, I also include all the others I did for that set of models that month?

E:
(Previous)

Oath addition complete!

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 14, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

So when I complete a addition, I also include all the others I did for that set of models that month?

From previous seasons we generally just make a single post with everything painted for the month, instead of reporting each addition individually. Makes the book-keeping simpler.

E: Also putting all your achievements / Jurnals in the oath completion is good, means there's less chance of them being missed.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Oh, OK. I'll hold off then. posting any more completes then until the end of the month. :P
I'm trying to get my next oath to work, but imgur's not working.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
OATH COMPLETE
claiming WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS?!

Imgur gallery with some more shots and WIPs

This guy was so much fun to paint, there's just something about a really well hand-sculpted metal model. I got an airbrush a couple of weeks ago and this ended up being a perfect opportunity to practice techniques-- turns out I'm never going back to brushing basecoats on large models ever again.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 15, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Finally, Imgur!

Oath Addition: I, Foolster41 oath to paint these adorable reaper mouselings (a ranger with bee familiar, and a druid).

(I'm almost done by the time this actually uploaded. :P )

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 15, 2016

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Flippycunt posted:

I Flippycunt oath to paint these here four viking fellows from Gripping Beast for use in my SAGA warband and probably Frostgrave as well.

Oath completed.

Claiming #SquadGoals achievement.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Archangel. This is a model from the Legion of Everblight faction, of Privateer Press' Hordes.

This will be for the jurnal (rationale: giant fuckin' dragon) and the big monster contest (rationale: giant fuckin'' dragon).

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional oath:

A Blindwalker, Gobber Chef, and Lynus & Edrea
All Privateer Press

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I, GalagaGalaxian, oath these Guild Ball Mason players and ball.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 16, 2016

BobFish
Jan 16, 2004

Believe: The Sequel - This time it really will happen
As it's been a busy month just a colour test mini this time.

I, BobFish, oath one 28mm Elf Lineman by Black Scorpion Miniatures

Seamoose
May 30, 2015
I, Seamoose, am oathing that I will paint Esters
She is a member of the brewers guild from Steamforged games, Guildball.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Oath addition! I, LewdMonocle add 2 troll skiiners, a kriel warrior, and a scattergunner 28mm.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

oath complete
I dunno, they're painted.
Also, Where are my dragons (shield) or alternatively, fantasy (wooden mail), and rescue!!!

oath addition!!!
Also this Tyranid Hive Tyrant with homemade TL Devourers.
Is it a village-busting dragon beast? I think so!

sorry for the black spots, this laptop has taken a beating or ten.

Nichol fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 17, 2016

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Is there a word for getting halfway through basecoating a mini and realizing you never took a picture of it to add to your monthly oath?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, but there's a word for how the rest of us feel now that you've told us: schadenfreude. :downsrim:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Oath Complete
Claiming Where are my Dragons since Zuriel is a dragonspawn that flies around and breaths fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
One more oath addition! gullahvar, 28mm from GW lotr.

nesbit37 posted:

• Locked thread