Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I am going to complete an oath for the first time in many, many years. I'm essentially new to this, so anyone feel free to tell me if im doing anything wrong.

I, Malal, do hereby oath to complete the following models. All four assassin models, the Battle of Calth box set, 30th anniversary Marine, and an Ork Bomma piloted by a Saurus Shaman. (for my dragon choice, of course.)

I haven't painted anything for six months or so and I'm going to be writing a speed painting guide while I go, so I figured I'd go light for my first oath. (45 models counting the pilot.)

For monster May-Hem, can we do big robots? (Gorkanought, Knight, Stompa, etc.)

Reubenesque Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I have a few questions! most of them are probably self-explanitory, I'm just making sure I'm doing things right as I get into the swing of things.

should I wait for approval before starting the actual paint? I've got half my may oathed models assembled now, and will take another pic once they are primed.

I can oath as many times a month as I like, as long as they are all completed by the due date? as an addendum to that, assuming I can complete multiple oaths in one month, do you need to complete at least one a month to get the "master" achievement?

on the subject of the starting point, it says "zenithal priming IS allowed, however pre-shading or picking out details is NOT allowed** " I'm not sure what that is, I have 15 Ork Kans that are primed, and then misted with a second metallic primer. a google search seems to confirm this. would they be allowed to be entered in that condition? they have no other paint, just a black base and a silver mist spray.

can you complete multiple challenges/achievements within the same oath, or do they need to be separate oaths? (I.E. would completing a unit of 10 fantasy models within 24 hours complete the May theme of painting a fantasy themed model, speed painting, and squad goals, or can only one be completed at a time?)

for the "It's a rescue!" challenge, can a heavily converted model or scratch-build that is half built but unprimed count, or does it need to be a pure "paint" rescue?

It case it's not obvious, I'm super excited about joining the Oath thread! I'd also like to throw down the gauntlet to any other speed painters out there. I'd love to go head-to-head in either a single model time challenge, vehicle, monster, unit, or anything else y'all can think of! My personal goal is to finish 1,000 models in 12 months.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
One more question, what happens if you fail the oath? Mocking? Slannesh avatar? The hatred of your fellow oathers? Must shave head like a slayer due to your wronged honor? Can only post in the Star Citizen thread for one month?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Only your own shame and sense of inadequacy.

Awesome, that's manageable.

I'm not worried about my current oath, just trying to figure out how much I want to bite off for June since you really only get one shot at the actual oath. (Adding more later resets the oath.)

Really I just need to pay attention to what's assembled and primed versus what's in the unopened boxes. Turns out marines have a lot more parts then when I last assembled some, haha.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
It could also be due to how close the camera is. A lot of them have a "close" setting (usually a flower icon) for photographing things up close.

No matter what the camera or phone has a minimum safe distance that you can take a non-blurry picture.

It could also just be holding the phone, I use various make-shift tripods to eliminate that. (Or the burst setting when in lazy.)

Lastly, the lens itself could be fogged. I use a Life-Proof case and the film that covers the lens gets dirty really easy. I either clean it before taking the picture, or I pop the phone out of the case.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

The lights aren't so ghetto, but I bought them for something else and just haven't installed them yet, but the box is super cheap and you can use any strong light.

I use a blank white science project board (the tryptic kind,) three sheets of white foamcore board, and two clip lights with 75W natural light bulbs. (The entire rig costs about 35 bucks with coupons.)

Step one, put one of the foam boards on the table.
Step two, open the project board and put it on the foam board.
Step three, clip the lights to the table facing away from the photo booth.
Step four, get two chairs and put the remaining two foamcore boards.
Step five, aim the lights to bounce into your photo box till you get the light levels where you want.

Really, the most important part is to not have direct light shining on the model. His removes a ton of glare and lens flare. I like the cheap setup because I can photograph even giant models.

I haven't taken pictures in a while, I'll put the rig together and show how I set it up and the ensuing results.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nice! This both gives me an excuse to knock out the rest of my imp guard terrain, AND knock out more cheevos!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've realized that you don't get credit for assembling and priming, I'll keep that in mind for next month!

I've finally gotten the calth/anniversary marine/assassins assembled and have started painting them.

I have the plane assembled and the Saurus warrior pilot in the cockpit, but I want to sculpt a dragon atop the plane. I'm gonna finish all the other painting before doing it to make sure I can finish it all in time.

Instead of doubling down this month, once I've gotten the oath fulfilled I'll just start getting models ready for next month.

I'm excited all in all, it's been a while since painting was fun. This was the perfect excuse to get crackin' on back projects.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Can achievements be claimed at any time, or only in conjunction with a finished oath?

This is turning out to be really fun, it's like building an army list except I'm configuring optimum aesthetics and a build order instead of unit viability and equipment load out.

Previous to this my favorite gaming points have been escalation leagues, I love painting so much to meet the deadlines. This is like an unbound escalation league that lasts a year, haha.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

I'm planning out my whole year, including purchasing new stuff because I don't have anything to fit a theme or technical challenge. Some examples, I want to get started with Guild Ball, I want to play Fishermen, I don't have a water themed model for July so it's a perfect match! I've had some Croe's Cutthroats for WarMachine that have been knocking around unpainted for years and I think they'd look really awesome in autumn colors for November. I'd been having a hard time figuring out what to do with those guys.

I'm planning to oath fairly conservatively and work on my backlog at the same time. This month I've oathed my Archidon but I'm setting an additional goal for myself to finish up my half painted Titan Sentry and a couple spare Paingivers. Plus assemble, gap fill and prime my July entry.

I want to say I really like the incentive that "They're multiplying" gives for oath additions. A regular oath addition just seems detrimental but I can be easily motivated by imaginary Internet points to paint more. I've already got my next monster picked out and I'll add it if I can get the first one painted in a timely manner. I'm still waiting on some some supplies I'd ordered because I didn't check that something was backordered. My whole order has shipped now so I'm just waiting for UPS.

I have a pretty thematic group of armies that are all based around Armageddon. It starts with my "Crooked Arrow Clan" Ork army. (Many, many points of Orks led by Dirtsaw, Bukkit, and Da' Gribbler.)Then the story rolls into my Magpies, a group of sappers and engineers from hive hades that sadly worked with Herman Von Strabb. (I use them as a terrain themed imp guard army with either Ork allies or with a Xenos radical inquisitor, Madeline de demandolx de la pauld Louise capeau.) They are a mix of Royal Engineers (ex-hive gang members) mixed with Adeptus Arbites from Hades. They are renegades now, but are under the service of an inquisitor aboard a ship owned by an elite caste rouge trader from Hades. (Leopold the Benevolent.) The inquisitor gives all of them the protection from the imperium, and has hidden their awful involvement in the 3rd war for Armageddon. (Next step is Madeline using a small cadre of red hunters for her ultimate goal of unlocking the secrets of the Necrons' immortality.)

All that means is I want to make a SM army, all the terrain possible for my sappers, more imp guard, and eventually a group of inquisitors hell-bent on stopping the insane Madeline from achieving her goals.

I'm with you, I keep changing what's next to meet the monthly challenges. (As in, terrain comes next due to the new challenge!)

I'll also be making a DE army for no particular reason.

Quick question though, what is the "they're multiplying" challenge? I made a cheat sheet for all possible challenges, but I don't see that one on it.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

Search Zark's posts. It's just a bonus for this month, it doesn't add to season points.

I see it, paint an extra monster. I have a stone tusk lying around, after I finish my dragon Ork plane hopefully I have enough time to enter it as my "fantasy/extra monster" challenge.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I agree on the no penalties part. The entire concept behind the thread is to motivate people to paint, and a few incentives do just that.
Having some massive penalty might cause someone to not bother, and it's obvious the more the merrier.

The achievements are a great idea, just looking at them as a way to expand what I'm working on and to try new things is motivation enough. The prizes or potential prizes are just lagniappe.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
cross-posting from the painting thread.

Ok, here is my quick and dirty photo guide.

First off, you'll need two clip lamps with 75 watt daylight bulbs. For the light box itself, i use a white science project trip-tych board, and a sheet of white foam core for the base.

if daylight bulbs are unavailable, either the camera settings need to be matched to the type of bulb used, or bounce boards need to be used. basically, anything to diffuse the glare from the light on the model.

lastly, a small white box helps to keep the seam of the boards out of the picture by raising the model slightly.

Use something to brace the camera or your phone. leaning it against books is great and easy. (you can also variate the height of the camera.)

To make sure the color is right, either adjust the the settings in camera, or modify the finished photo. If it's a digital camera, make sure its set on macro, and the light setting matches the bulb. It also may have an apeture, contrast, birghtness, and F-stop setting. All can be adjusted to make the photo "correct."

for cell phones, most have photo-manipulation in camera. It keeps all of the raw data on the picture, so you can open the photo editing option on the phone and adjust all the same settings after taking the photo.

There are a few apps for changing the settings before taking the picture, but most standard smart phones have the basics needed to edit the photo.

no matter how you adjust the final photo, just use your eyeballs to make sure the model IRL matches the photo of it.

Lastly, when you upload to Imgur, you can adjust the posted size so you don't break tables. sadly, this is unavailable in the app so posting from your phone posts the full size of the picture.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

I lethemonster, do hereby oath one necron scythe consisting of the main body and two of its tum-tum guns.

Gah I just realized one of the guns is primed black >.<

Prime is fine, you can even have that Tzeentch prime or whatever the hell its call. (Zenthial? SP)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Bad Moon posted:

Total War and Overwatch has made me fear for my Oath :ohdear:

Dude, I work 60 hours a week, my son is getting married this month, and I have plenty of other obligations. (Not to mention Diablo 3.)

I oathed 30 marines, dread, five termies, terminator captain, chaplain (battle
Of calth basically,) a converted Ork plane, four assassins, and the 30th anniversary marine.

All of it is done except the plane, c'mon son! Put down the games for one evening!!!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

Tbf you're probably one of the best painters on the board though

Idk about you guys but whenever I watch or read warhammer stuff I really wanna paint.

You can do it, goon. Paint the man!

Why thank ya!

Maybe not the best, certainly the fastest!

Truth be told it's gonna be close for me, I wanna go overboard on the plane with the lizardmen pilot. I might not finish myself!

I just wanted to be encouraging, if new dad can learn to paint with his feet so he can coddle the newborn, new games can be set down for a few hours to slap paint on primer.

Remember there's no quality control, you just gotta finish!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm dying over here!

I have two days left to complete my oath, last model is built, sculpted, and primed.

My sons wedding was Friday, I'm juggling family, Memorial Day gak, and general chaos. I'm gonna have to sneak off at 3AM the next two days to get it done! (Thank god no ones wakes in the house before 9AM!)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

The Impaler posted:

Don't worry malal, I'll get home and oath a Dark Elf dragon with (less than?) two days to go. You'll be right.

Nice! Everyone works best with a deadline.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
OATH COMPLETE!!

I am also claiming
Where are my dragons?!
Fantasy Theme
Box Art
Squad Goals

I pledged the Battle of Calth box set, all four assassins, the 30th anniversary marines, and a lizard dude piloting an Ork Fighta.

Pledge proof

Assassins

Box art (I painted them as per the model picture on the back of the box.)

30th anniversary marine

Battle of Calth (painted as Red Hunters)

Lizard-dude piloting an Ork fighta

OK! so this is my first time completing an oath in a long time, so let me know if additional pics/info is needed. (I made sure to get the photo with my name and time stamp on, in case i need more info tomorrow when its too late, haha!)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Was there some sort of terrain-based theme for this month, or was it a fever dream?

Also I'm at a loss for relaxing models. I don't wanna go obvious (SM on the shitter, sisters of battle playing poker, that sort of thing) but I wanna really put some effort into it. Any ideas?

Also can the months achievements be combined? (A pool scene with a night goblin catching some moonlight, robes in a heap?)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

Germ has a contest next month with an additional prize by liljonas. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Yes they can, but you only get one point for doing the challenge.

Oh, so doing both challenges doesn't matter? You only get points for doing a model that's 50% flesh OR a model relaxing?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Electric Hobo posted:

Germ has a contest next month with an additional prize by liljonas. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Yes they can, but you only get one point for doing the challenge.

Ok, so no reason to do both technical challenges, points are awarded the same either way.

And is the Germ oath an official part of the oath thread, as in additional points are rewarded for completing the challenge, or is it just its own stand-alone thing?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I got my months mixed up and thought this month had the terrain competition, and here I've been preparing terrain to paint. Well, it can wait for a month and I'll figure out something else to oath.

Lol, so did I. Spent the last few days assembling the plasma tower and some firestorm Redoubts.

Time to change gears to Dark Eldar!

E: holy poo poo, going from Orks and Marines to Dark Eldar is tricky. They are some spindly fuckers!

Reubenesque Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 1, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I might wind up oathing my Killa Kans for this month. DE are turning out to be extremely well casted and sculpted, but very time-intensive to assemble.

I've only got four hellion sky board raiders assembled so far!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ok, I've had a few set backs.
First, I thought June was the terrain month, so I started fighting the Tempestus Firebase. Realizing my error, I switched to Dark Eldar.
I assembled many models, but I've realized that the Raiders require pre-painting before assembly, something I'm not accustomed to.
Adding salt to the wound, the Hellion Skyboard models are some of the best models I've assembled, second only to the recent Flash Gits. (they really are a work of art.) I'd like to give them the time they need.

Anywho, I'm pledging 18 Killa Kans and 1 Deff Dredd.

I oath 18 Killa Kans and 1 Deff Dread

Should be an easy job.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Some more questions!

I read the OP, and there are many references to "save the whales" achievement, but I don't see the actual achievement. What is "save the whales?"

Second, I'm gonna post WIP pictures for rust here in a bit, and I'd like to claim speed painting for the model. Is it ok to use the posture from my original oath as a start time? (I'll have a finished picture well within 24 hours of my Oath post.)

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
hey all! I figured I'd knock out the WIP photos and speed painting achievements, while writing a handy tutorial on quick and easy rust effects! (I'll obviously include the achivements in my OATH COMPLETE post. which I need to add to, I forgot this months challenge!)

First up, I give the model a thorough black prime, them "mist" it with a metallic paint. I have used other brands of mettalic paint, however this is one of the areas that GW rattle-cans excel at. I used the boltgun metal spray.

Next, you need a stiff bristle brush. (sometimes called a boar brush.) luckily these are very cheap, any hobby store carries them in many sizes.

Using the boar brush is different then a regular brush. you "stab" the model, rather then making normal brush strokes. This is a good reason to buy cheap brushes for this technique, it destroys them quickly. (I mention this because you can buy actual boar-bristle brushes, and they can get costly!)
Start with a deep dark-chocolate brown, and cover at least 50% of the model. the more erratic the placement, the better. use rust reference photos to get an idea of the effect you want.
I also tend to use cheap paint for this, it uses a lot more paint then even drybrushing.

Next, pick a lighter shade of brown and repeat the same technique, but slightly smaller in coverage.

same technique, lighter shade again. you are going for texture more then anything.

lastly, I finish with either a red or yellow highlight again using the boar brush. the choice of yellow or red depends on what the base coat of the finished model is going to be. for my Killa Kans, I want to use a military green color so yellow is the preferred rust color. no matter the color choice for the finished model, make sure its a lighter color then your last shade used.

I find that rust effects (along with large speed paint projects) work best when you take a moment from time to time to view the total Mob from a distance. I'll modify the rust as needed looking at the unit as a whole. here's my first six Killa Kans with the rust. (and a Deff Dread hiding in the back!)

Now that you have completed the rust, you have a few options to proceed. I'll be using regular brushes, but if you airbrush there's something called the "salt resist" technique. Ill talk about it briefly at the end of the post.

For the using brushes, start with your base color. when applying it, be aware that the strokes can add to the texture you want. I like the look of "hand painted," but even if its an imperial vehicle use the existing rust to make a texture you want.
I started with a green base.

Once I had that done, I did some basic highlights.

next I picked out some details and painted the horns.

Lastly, I finished the base and called it good!

For posterity, here is my completion picture for speed painting. I'll of course include it in the final Oath Complete! post.

If you use an airbrush, "salt resist" is an awesome technique. you use course salt, table salt, and water. mix it together, and dab it in place on the model everywhere you want the rust to be visible. let it fully dry, then airbrush you base coat (and highlights if you have the stones.) once the model is fully dry, simply use a drybrush to knock off the salt. it makes a mess, so do it over a sink. you get an awesome chipped paint effect from it, I find it really gives a cleaner rust effect if tha'ts what you are going for.

as always, practice on something other then you grand opus if this is the first time using any of these techniques!!!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

Two words: Perry brothers.

That's what I call tossing the gauntlet.

You really wanna remind this forum poster that one of the Perrys lost his HAND in a cannon, and still manages to be one of the best sculptors of our generation?

Actually, kudos! Get back on the horse, soldier. Hold the brush different, or paint with your toes.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

The first model that he sculpted with his left hand after losing his right:

poo poo, I knew the story but not the model after the cannon accident.

That's got to be one of the best models ever sculpted.

E: posted before I saw your post, tallkidwithglasses. That's the spirit!!!!

Reubenesque Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Oath complete!
I'm also claiming
WIP Photos
Speed Painting

Speed painting proof

WiP pics

• Locked thread