Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
After painting over 40 models in the last two months and having nothing (but sweet models?) to show for it, I finally jump into the Oath thread, or at least dip my toes in with these rinky dink oaths:

I Nichol, hereby oath this Lothern Sea Guard with an extra long spear (it may be a dragon prince lance) and this... Metal Harlequin?

I think the Sea Guard has a dragon on his shield and the Harlie is a definite Rescue. He's been sitting in the bottom of my tool tin for like three years. I think I based him at my friend's house when it was bequeathed to me, and haven't touched it since. I imagine he's been stewing away, battling tweezers and sprue bits with his mighty power weapon. It has been a lonely, futile existence.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
oath complete
I dunno, they're painted.
Also, Where are my dragons (shield) or alternatively, fantasy (wooden mail), and rescue!!!

Nichol fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 15, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

oath complete
Also, Where are my dragons (shield) or alternatively, fantasy (wooden mail), and rescue!!!

oath addition!!!
Also this Tyranid Hive Tyrant with homemade TL Devourers.
Is it a village-busting dragon beast? I think so!

sorry for the black spots, this laptop has taken a beating or ten.

Nichol fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 17, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
OATH COMPLETE!!!

CLAIMING DRAGONS (Lothern Shield; Fantasy Model), MONSTER MAY-HEM WIP PHOTOS, (Flyrant), IT'S A RESCUE (Harlequin)

Nichol posted:

oath complete

Update: Dat Tyrant:
WIP Photos:

DONE!!

I'll try to take a better photo when I get home, but am housesitting atm.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

TTerrible posted:

That Tyrant is beautiful. Very nicely done.

Wow thanks! All I can see is the sloppinesses

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Uhoh-- I got carried away finishing the bases on some old models and accidentally put down a base layer on some models I meant to oath next month... does this disqualify then? Or does it not matter since the rules on bases are so vague?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I, Nichol, do hereby oath this (clockwise from upper left) homemade meiotic spore, metal tau sniper team, tyranid prime with ridiculous miasma cannon, two other tyranid warriors, tyranid swarmlord, three stealth suits, and three crisis suits, one of which is clearly sitting on his fat rear end for the theme...

Very convenient that he matches the theme, cuz I just modeled him that was last month just for kicks, without even realizing the theme. Leapy guy probably also could count?

edit: some dudes have a very poor attempt at zenithal priming visible, and there may be some greenstuff visible through some primer, basically priming didn't go as planned but blah.

Nichol fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 1, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Speed paint is by model ya?

Gauntlet thrown.

edit: somewhat confusing reference to obsolete 'basing points' in op:

quote:

The base does not need to be done to be called 'completed', but remember that if all your models are based you do get a point for basing. The time stamps on the worldtimeserver.com site must be within 24 hours of each other. No extra points for quickest painting time! That would be too hard to prove without video.

Nichol fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Fuegan posted:

I'm also overdue a bit of Spring Cleaning

This is a stretch. If my area looked this sorted after spring cleaning I would be proud.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Oath wip update: all the nids done, crisis suits about half done. Making okay time, basically:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Update two. Really noticing the difference between the new sculpts and these now. Blech I also piled a bunch of liquid greenstuff on to fill some ugly seams and skipped filing it down. Think I'll weather it up like caked on rust etc to cover up the ugliness one day.

Also, bring your a game to terrain month, I'm going to finish this project:

It's just primed with different colours where it will have different schemes, I assume that's not going to disqualify it?

Also looking at it, scale is unclear... it is of course 4x8...
Here is 3/4 of it being used for a game! I designed it to support multiple configurations, and had considered two boards for a 3x4 surface, but 6x3 was a pretty neat size!

Also no, teenage swarmlord was not allowed to join that unit of gaunts. That was straight cheating. Oops.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Sup. Callin' these done. Maybe some work on the silver insignia on the chest there.. bases too.

On to the next ones

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Update: sniper squad dooone. Now just highlights on stealth squad (barely visible in background). Woot.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Almost done. Miasma cannon is the only remaining thing from original oath. Will probably add some models before the end of the month, so not the official complete photo.
e: 15 models in 14 days :coal:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
This was my Oath:

This is only my second Oath month, and I thought this was a ton of painting and was worried I wouldn't get it all done, but I was bored and spent a lot of the first two weeks hunched over my models, so:
OATH COMPLETE!!!

And, I won't be making any further updates; the rest of my month is a mess!

From Bottom Left, Clockwise:
Sniper Drone Team:

Crisis Suits: #Squadgoals?

and Challenge: Summer’s here! Time to relax...
Backstory:
Ol' Redeye Johnny was tired after a long morning of shootin' stuff. He finally had a chance to sit down in some shade and get some shuteye.

Cap'n Jumpy Pants rolled by, "HEY BUDDY LET'S GO LET'S GO SHOOT SOME STUFF!

Redeye replied, "Woah man, Jes' Chillin' here on my favourite rock. You want me to do what? Naw eff that. It's cool I'll stay here. You guys go have fun."

Jumpy Pants took off, Leaping away to the action.
Redeye stayed there, on his rock, for days.

Stealth Suits:

Kitbashed/Scratch Spore

Tyranid Prime with Very Silly Miasma Cannon

Teenage Swarmlord (Missed upper body day; overcompensates with his codpiece)

Also, Speed Painting!

Warriors

This is a massive post. Am I doing it wrong format-wise? How do people do those red border thumbnails that expand in-line?

e: vv Thanks! vv Also, cranked up the contrast on everything, colours look proper bright now.
so to reiterate: Speed Painting, #Squadgoals, #backstory, #Challenge (June),

Nichol fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 22, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I Nichol hereby oath for the month of July to paint this modular 4x6 table and associated foam los blocking terrain I made.

I realize now only one of the four panels is visible in this shot. Ruling? Here is the progress since this morning:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

I Nichol hereby oath for the month of July to paint this modular 4x6 table and associated foam los blocking terrain I made.

I realize now only one of the four panels is visible in this shot. Ruling? Here is the progress since this morning:

Oath Complete!!!

Life's a Beatch - water effects
July-ke To Paint some Terrain - natch
Epic I hope this counts?
Rules Lawyer:
We've been playing (while it was wip), with the 3 inch levels as though they were floors in a building, and with some interesting effects - Skimmers, flyers, etc basically ignore the height and travel as the crow flies; Jump and jet pack units (when using their packs) also move 'as the crow flies'. Anything moving around the ground has to burn 3 inches to get up to the next level, which has some crazy implications and messes around with balance a lot. I'm not sure the rules will be permanent but they're fun. It's always Tau, Nids, and jump-heavy blood angels anyway so it isn't completely unfair for any one faction. Also, the riverbed is treated as dangerous at all times. It has killed a surprising number of models.

I have built a bridge that spans it as well, but it's not painted yet so not included.

And here, some more photos for picture time!

And detail on the water. I totally added too much colour and it ended up very opaque. Still think it look cool but not what I expected. At least it hardened properly!

Will be editing photos for a bit here but a bunch have my name already ;)
Also the roommates responsible for stepping on the loving styro while it was out to dry have been sacked. Shouldn't be too bad to touch up, it is the nature of styrofoam!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I, Nichol hereby Oath this old-rear end Gundam GM for the month of August.

If it is allowed?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

I, Nichol hereby Oath this old-rear end Gundam GM for the month of August.

If it is allowed?

Oath Complete!
I don't think this is up to my usual standard, but I got tired as gently caress of painting this guy. First gundams I guess so that is something. Not at all happy with how the osl looks but it's my first attempt so

Claiming jurnal for the OSL
Also, Boxart

e: oath added

Nichol fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 30, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Luebbi posted:

I, Luebbi, Oath for September - one Privateer Press Raek

Not much this month, planning a vacation.

AHA! I got one of these in a box of free nid stuff from amazing goon mmj and didn't know what it was! Most likely I will call it a 'nid warrior with rending claws. It is a sweet model.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Zark the Damned posted:

:siren: August is complete! :siren:

Go check your points and stuff in the Spreadsheet and make sure it's correct! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CjBdEM06ehsHI_IGCRx-Ls-j3Mw3vCoZ02a83yBnRtA/edit?ts=57292533#gid=16

I see for scale and brand my Gundam has ???/???
For the record it is made by Bandai and is 1:144 scale.

I can't find where the spreadsheet represents Boxart/squads/wips etc?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

NTRabbit posted:

Cheevos, sheet to the left of May

Ahhhh well I guess I eventually could have done the 2+2 there...

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

I Nichol hereby oath this (old) gw assassin something aomething for the month of September.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

I Nichol hereby oath this (old) gw assassin something aomething for the month of September.

Speed is only once a year ya? Well speedpainted nonetheless.

Also challenge cuz I guess he is yellow. So, so yellow.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Just as a suggestion to everyone out there horrified by their experience painting yellow, the recipe I used on my assassin (and I think it would have looked better if I'd just called it done before adding 'highlights', was the easiest thing ever - bone with a yellow wash over top. I can't recommend this highly enough. I have painted yellow before any never been anywhere near as happy as I was with that. YMMV

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I Nichol, oath this gw devilfish.

That is all.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

That is all.

Oath complete. See you next month.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

I Nichol addition this tau-ish marker for the month of October.

e: fixed

Nichol fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 27, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Nichol posted:

I Nichol addition this tau-ish marker for the month of October.

e: fixed

Nichol posted:

That is all.

Nichol posted:

Oath complete. See you next month.

Oath addition Complete!:

I think I shall claim I rolled a 6! and the spotlight jurnal for this little guy. He looks a bit like he was snowed on, but if you squint a little like a spotlight is shining straight down on it, maybe.

ee: added original oath. I dunno sorry if it's overquoting.

Nichol fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 27, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Iceclaw posted:

Must the skull be in one piece ? I'm thinking off painting a skull belching gas on the shield of the leader of my Kommandos, but the shield is split down the middle by a row of spikes. Would putting both halves on either sides of the spike count as a full skull?

You must be new here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Iceclaw posted:

I am. Do... Do I need to hit the biggest, nastiest looking poster I can find in order to settle in the hierarchy? :ohdear:

Anyway, as no one really answered the question:

It sounded like you were saying the skull you would be painting would be split into two half-skulls on your finished piece? This thread is really, really chill about that stuff. As long as you are painting a skull you are super golden.

ps I have no authority around here whatsoever, just speaking from experience.

e: vvv oops! vvv

Nichol fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread