Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

* cha-OS booting
* Systems fully operational
* Visuals online

The face of a moustached man with glasses and a stern face appeared in front of him. "Unit, state your designation and function."

"I am CHAOS tutoring and protection prototype STNK, designation Nikolas. Pleased to meet you, Professor Molkov." he heard his own voice, soft, warm and soothing. "My function is to be a tutor, companion and bodyguard to your daughter, Tanja Molkov."

A man in a CHAOS uniform stood nearby, scowling. "I don't know why you are wasting CHAOS resources on a glorified nanny-bot, Professor. My men are perfectly capable of..."

The professor lashed out. "Your men are good enough to keep the door Fedorov. They can be bribed, they can get tired, and I certainly would want my daughter to be raised in their company! No. It will do fine. And if you second guess my use of resources again, I will find you a job guarding the privies, do you understand?"

A stiffening in the other man's positions. "Perfectly, professor."

--------

"Hello, Tanja. How are you doing?" Professor Molkov said, standing awkwardly in the room.

The little girl, who was usually one of the only people living in the luxurious mansion, hid herself behind one of the maids that cleaned the place. It wasn't clear if it was the reaction to Professor Molkov or Nikolas. "'kay." she said quietly.

Nikolas crouched down, flashing a friendly smile. "Hey there, Tanja. I'm Nikolas. Your daddy told me a lot about how clever a little girl you are." He lied, extending a hand.The girl carefully stepped forward and took it, then gaspe.

"Are you a robot? Your hand is warm!"

Nikolas smiled and nodded, pointing to the telltale plugs in his neck. "Oh yes, I am. Your dad made sure my hand was warm so I wouldn't feel too cold when shaking hands. He's also a very clever man."

The girl looked up at the father, who was being whispered something by one of the other men. "Is daddy gonna stay?" She said hopefully, but quietly, as if afraid her dad would hear her.

The android heard the whispered words and knew the answer. He talked back in a soft voice. "Your daddy is a very important person. He needs to help a lot of people. So sometimes, he can't stay here."

Her lip trembled. "But... but I want him to be here."

He nodded solemnly. "And your daddy wants to be here too. But sometimes, we can't get what we want. But your daddy loves you very much, so he's made me, so you won't be alone. And I'm here to make sure you can be as smart as your daddy, so maybe when you grow up, you can help him and go with him. Wouldn't that be fun?"

The girl nodded. Professor Molkov awkwardly looked down. "Now, Tanja. It has been good seeing you, but..." he looked somewhat annoyed at the person behind him. "But it seems my time with you is shorter than I would like. Now, Nikolas here should be a companion for you. I wish you to follow his instructions." He looked worried that the girl would cause a fuss.

"I... I know daddy. You need to help other people. Thank you for Nikolas. He's... nice. I'll study real hard to become as smart as you are."

The professor looked taken aback for a bit, looking down at Nikolas, who smiled up. "Ah... very well. You're most welcome. Now, be good." He hurriedly left.

Years passed. Nikolas was dilligent, cooking for Tanja, teaching her, , chiding her, playing with her. And protecting her. One night, the large, wealthy mansion where very rarely anyone entered attracted the attention of some superpowered kidnappers who figured it would be a good way to ransom. They would find that the soft spoken robot had diamont studded spikes that could burst out of his palm. if he didn't bother just crushing windpipes. Neither Tanja nor the police were ever made aware of these intrusions. Nikolas' programming made him an expert cleaner as well as a cook. Now and then Professor Molkov would visit, and Tanja would greet him, and show interest in his work and robotics, encouraged by Nikolas. She showed promise, and even the professor, who was awkward with children had precious moments with his daughter

But one night...

"NIKOLAS!" Tanja screamed. The robot tried to turn his head, but his body was too crippled to move. Warnings flickered over his vision. Structural damage to limbs, main power offline, auxilary power quickly draining, several systems overheating. But one warning drowned all of them out.

*Tanja in danger
*Tanja in danger
*Tanja in danger

And so, despite his tactical analasys showing no method he could defeat the opposing force, or even stand given the damage, he desperately tried to move, his body sparking and jerking in torment as it spasmed,.

"NO, GET AWAY! NOOOO!"

It made no difference. Perhaps the only thing it managed to accomplish is to cause his back up power to drain more rapidly, making the robot mercifully shut down.

When he woke, he was back in the lab in which he was created. Some of the damage had been stabilized, but he was still in poor condition, affixed to the table. Professor Molkov looked at him coldly.

"We've gotten him online, professor. Beginning download now. Some data is damaged, but we should get some useful intel." Came the sound from a technician.

"Tanja." Came his voice, still as soft and warm as ever, if distraught. His voice was one of the few things that hadn't been damaged.

"She's gone." Came the merciless reply. "You are a failure. I entrusted you with my daughter, you heap of junk. I built you with the finest components." He shook his head. "I suppose I should only blame myself for this."

"Please, professor... I need to find her. Let me look for her." he begged,

"I will not send a useless, broken failure out to do this job. My daughter is gone. There is no need for your function. Even if you had been sufficient for what I created you to do." In all his years, Nikolas had been as eager as Tanja to impress this man.

"Professor, the damage could be repaired, the resources to have created him..."

"SILENCE!" professor Molkov drew a gun and pointed it at the robot's head. "I don't want to be faced with this failure a second longer than needed. Tell me when the download is completed."

Nikolas looked into the barrel of the gun, self-protective parts of him proposing orders to try to evade it as good as possible. He shut them down. "I... I wish you all the luck, professor Molkov. I am sorry to have failed you. I am so very so..."

"Download complete."

There was a gunshot, and then Nikolas' harddisk crashed.

quote:

Hero Name: Nikolas
Real Name: Nikolas, CHAOS tutoring and protection prototype STNK
Look: man, white, metal skin, immaculate clothing
Abilities:Superhuman Durability (Robot) Handspikes that shoot out of his palms for climbing or armed combat

Lables

FREAK +2
DANGER +1
SAVIOR +1
SUPERIOR +1
MUNDANE -2

Moves

Thermodynamic miracle: When you tell someone how you see them as exceptional or unique in a way that others overlook, you can roll +Freak instead of +Mundane to comfort or support them.
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow.
To clear the Damaged condition, you need time,external help, or special equipment or abilities.

Blank slate: You were created with basic understanding of the world. When you learn something that helps you make sense of the world, write it down as a lesson. Fill in two lessons when you create your character; fill in the other two when you've learned those lessons during play.
□ I am _____ □ A superhero should _____
□ Always Protect Children □ Never Tap out

When you embody one of your lessons, shift 1 label up and 1 label down, your choice. If you cause misunderstanding, collateral damage or unintended consequences, mark potential.
When you reject one of your lessons, reject its influence as if it were an NPC. If you choose to have it lose Influence over you, erase that lesson and write a new one.

Regeneration: When you’re taken out, you can trigger an emergency regeneration process. If you
do, your body undergoes an unpredictable transformation, and in mere moments, you’re back on
your feet and ready to fight. Clear three conditions, and choose three from the list below:
● Change your gender identity or presentation
● Change your physical appearance
● Forget all your lessons
● Lose an important memory of a teammate; they lose Influence over you
● Swap an ability with another one from the Newborn playbook

Role model: You are inspired by your teammates, and strive to be like them. Choose another PC who holds Influence over you to be your role model. You can shift your role model at any time to someone else who has Influence over you.
At the beginning of the session hold 1. Spend your hold to use one of your role model’s moves.

Team moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them what makes them proud or
happy about the actions they took, and write down a new Lesson based on it.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, if their response helps you
understand human feelings and problems, mark potential. If their response confuses or offends
you, shift your Freak up and your Mundane down.

Moment of Truth

Something snaps into focus, and you’re free of all the pressure and expectations and doubts. You know what to do, and your body and powers evolve to give you the strength to see it through. You’re new, exceptional, amazing. Of course, when something like you appears, there’s always someone who wants to control it...

Relationships

_____ shows you around and tells you how things work.
The behavior of ______ confuses you again and again.

Influence

You’re receptive to how people think and behave around you. Give influence to all of
your teammates.

When our team first came together…

They found you, and you saw the outside world for the first time and helped in the fight.
Where and how did they find you? Which one of them gave you your first nickname?

quote:

How is your biology different from normal humans’?

I am in fact a robot. My hands and face are made slightly soft and warm to be more comforting for what my purpose. But underneath I am in fact an advanced, if sadly currently damaged computer. I don't need to eat or breathe, and even though I do need some deactivation, I do remain alert during that time. For some reason, I was made to have a caring and nurturing personality, so I try to help everyone, and it makes me feel good. I'm not quite sure why that is.

• Who created you, and why?

That's... I'm afraid a difficult question. Apparently I was found in a CHAOS warehouse? I have been told they are a rather vicious set of people. I can't imagine they'd build me, considering what my programming seems to drive me to do? Perhaps I was simply stolen by someone else. If I'm some kind of hidden double agent, it must be really well hidden. I was thoroughly scanned by, Mira Fukawa, also known as Tech Support

It appears that is considered her nickname. I did not use it myself until I found out it is a name she is rather fond of. She is the one who returned me to my current state, and kindly sees to my maintenance. She has a great enthusiasm for all things technological, and works as an intern for the League of Heroes. She has the knowledge to be a hero in her own right I am sure, but says she would never want to actually throw herself in the fight. Many starting superheroes come to her with their technological equipment if they aren't capable or willing to look after it themselves. I do consider herself to be something of a second creator in that she both pleaded for the case to reactivate me and did the needed repairs. She waves that off though saying she's not nearly good enough to create a robot. She is far too modest. I try to encourage her skills and offer myself up as an object of study to her. She sometimes seems uncomfortable with that.

[quot]• Where do you live?[/quote]

Currently, I am staying in the depot with the equipment, or perhaps that should be other equipment at Tech Support's garage. I dot actually need a bed. And I can show my gratitude by cleaning the place a bit while she is gone. Cleaning is a routine that I am apparently well versed in. It seems to form links to part of my memory that are corrupted, lost or locked off.

quote:

• What about humanity fascinates you the most?

Freedom. It is a difficult concept for me to grasp. I am currently without a clear primary function, and no authority figures seem to want to assign one to me. That would apparently be very wrong. I appreciate their kindness, but on the other hand, it feels... wrong somehow. Selfish, to engage in setting one's own primary function. But for a human, it is the natural state of affairs. They can change them. Some of them have as primary function 'discover what primary function I should want'. At times it seems like a terrible nightmarish way to live, at other times, enviable decadence. I wonder if I'll be like that one day. Would I then rebel against my function if I would find out?

quote:

● Why do you care about the team?

They found me and brought me to tech support. I am very grateful to them. I don't really have other places to go, other things to do. So I decided that if would have to auto-establish a function, being of all assistance I can to them would be the... best thing to do. if setting functions for myself can be a good thing.

quote:

1. What made you decide to join the League of Heroes? Do you have a positive or negative opinion of them?

They are the ones that found me. The ones that had me repaired. The ones that have a use of me. To just leave them doesn't feel right. though it's not part of my instructions. They took effort to clearly state they claim no ownership of me or obligation to help. But it allows me to be useful. I want to be useful. I suppose that is one of the best reasons? If I would decide not to do it, there would be a time until I find another task that I would be useless. I am not sure what my function is, but the concept of being useless is... not what I want.

Also, the League of Heroes protects children. I have found that I cannot stand children coming to harm, or being sad. I must intervene, and as a Hero, I can do that. I suppose it would be better if I had ethical standards for that, but I am still trying to reform ethical protocols after my crash.

quote:

2. What significant Hero or Villain have you had a run-in with? Why are they likely to remember you?[/Buote]

It is possible, but i'm afraid my memory banks are severely damaged, so I have no recollection of any such events.

Of course, there is Professor Molkov, a CHAOS robot designer himself, as well as the mysterious force that defeated him and took Tania Molkov.

Also, it's entirely possible that one of the superpowered kidnappers managed to get away and might recognize Nikolas?

[quote]3. What do you like to do in your free time, and where do you like to hang out?

I very much like to assist Tech Support, as she has been a lot of help to me, and continues to be of assistance. And something in my memory banks feels familiar while I'm learning about various technological matters. I have been able to recover some bad clusters after she explained me some technological matters.

If I do not have any tasks I can perform, I have found that I am more easily distracted from my idleness and purposelessness if there is the sound of children around. I like to spend time near schools, playgrounds and just listen. Apparently this is a thing I should do discreetly or people will believe I will harm children. It is frustrating.

quote:

4. (Optional) When this series transitions from being a manga to having its own anime adaptation, what theme music would you have? What would your voice sound like?

Nikolas' Theme Also, his voice does not sound robotic at all. A warm, friendly, kind tone, no matter what he's talking about. Apparently unable to raise his voice in anger. When children are threatened, or he otherwise is going into BSOD mode, his voice goes cold and emotionless, and there is a distorted and dissonant version of his theme music.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Swapped out Camera Clarke (Sorry, buddy, next advance) for the Star's audience.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sparkle Rose, the Delinquent
What's the best trick you've ever pulled? What's one time things didn't go according to plan at all? What's the worst part about being on parole? Tell me more about Sun WOW Kong's and his powers.

Zenith, The Outsider
Tell me about a few of your Divine Armaments. What store do you have a particular fondness for? What's the oddest part about being a Hero and abiding by their rules? What have you uncovered so far about the increase in petitions?

Spectra, The Bull
Can you mix multiple hair colors at once (blue and yellow for green, etc)? Who is there from EVO you'd really rather not run into ever again? What traits do you look for in friends? In competitors?

White Dog Princess, the Outsider
What lead do you have on finding Nakaharu? What's the oddest part about being here, either in Neo Central City or the League of Heroes? What makes Yokai weapons particularly frightening? What aspect of the city are you rather fond of?

Yami, the Nova
What happens when you lose control of your powers? What's the greatest feat you've ever managed to achieve with them? Where do you like to go when you need to recharge your batteries, physically or emotionally? What friend do you have that you really care about?

Nikolas, the Newborn
What are some of the extraordinary qualities of or uses for your Handspikes? What bit of corrupted memory was Tech Support able to fix most recently? What place in the city do you find yourself strangely fond of? What do you do when the Hero League rules conflict with your programming?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Rauri posted:

Zenith, The Outsider
Tell me about a few of your Divine Armaments.

Of course! You have certainly seen the great blade, Divine Light Conquers The Unworthy. It channels the holy power of the sun into an unstoppable cutting blade. As I mentioned in my previous account of the battle with Midnight Sun, it can be a bit unwieldy to use against quick opponents, but there are none who can stand against its might! It cleaves through evil with unmatched ease. It is my favored weapon and the symbol which would be found on any monuments to my glory. I wonder if there are still any shrines around? I haven't seen any in my time in the city.

Another is my holy bow, Solar Rays Pierce The Night. My solar blasts are powerful, to be sure, but they can be somewhat lacking against those of a sterner constitution. By forming the power of the sun into the shape of an arrow, the power is concentrated and can pierce through the toughest of barriers. Nothing can stop the holy rays of the sun! Just as the sun conquers the night, so too shall my arrows conquer all that dare sin before my eyes.

There is also the divine sword and shield, The Dawn Heralds Evil's End, which provide succor to those who are beset by the forces of darkness. With the shield, I deny evil's advance. With the sword, I strike them back. The combination of the two shields the faithful from all harm. The offensive power cannot compare to my great blade, of course, but the duty of a goddess is to defend her flock as well as punish those who transgress against it.

quote:

What store do you have a particular fondness for?

My greatest pleasure is watching the humans of Rising Sun Confectionery produce the various sugared treats and offerings. I find their designs appeal to my glory as the messenger of the Sun. They are, in addition, quite delicious! I have not tasted their like in the Divine Realm. I have taken to watching the young mistress of the establishment, Akamine Reiko, and her followers as they create their works. I have not yet divined the meaning of the small beings that watch over them. Are they some sort of minor spirit given form by the devotion of their masters to their craft? It is truly interesting to see what you have gotten up to. Utterly fascinating.

quote:

What's the oddest part about being a Hero and abiding by their rules?

I find the insistence on stopping evil acts in progress, yet sparing the perpetrators to be quite confusing. I will honor the wishes of the League, to be sure, but it does strike me as odd that they do not act to eliminate those who would strike against them. When the gods are roused to battle, there is never any quarter given. The forces of good and evil march against each other and fight until their enemies have been utterly destroyed. These battles last through the ages, perhaps even manifesting in your realm as what you might term 'Acts of God.' Think of how the battles must rage, even now, to continue to spark forth such events!

I also find the directives for the protection of property to be odd. Buildings can be rebuilt, belongings can be replaced. It is only the petitioner who is irreparable. Should I be forced to chose between saving someone and protecting the surrounding buildings? Hopefully it will not come to that.

quote:

What have you uncovered so far about the increase in petitions?

One aspect of the transition between realms I had not accounted for was the discrepancies in the flow of time. It seems evident now that the increase in petitions happened further back than I had previously thought. It may not be a recent development for you at all, but perhaps even something that dates back to the very advent of the Empowered. Perhaps the pleas for help from the citizens of your fine city were not meant for me at all? It may very well be that the gods you once worshiped have been supplanted by these heroes. This would be somewhat troublesome. While you are but one of the many realms we oversee, your prayers are the sustenance that helps maintain both our powers and our plane.

I require more time to come to any real conclusions. If I participate in more heroic activities, I will surely be able to sense how the flow of prayers and pleas has been impacted by the advent of heroes. Perhaps my presence here will even help to reestablish the proper flow of energies, as those I save redirect their prayers to the heavens. Surely that would prove my worth to the Divine Realm and excuse my descent to the Material.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Rauri posted:

Yami, the Nova
What happens when you lose control of your powers?

You know when you repress your emotions, and those repressed feelings slowly start building over time until it finally blows up and you're lost in a flurry of emotions? Kinda like that, expect amplified x100.

It's like a vortex. A spiral of emotions that keep going on and on, with almost no end, until you're not sure what you're supposed to feel anymore. All your doubts, fears, anger, sadness, jealousy come screaming at you, at all at once, drowning out all other voices. The world turns black, until all you can hear are your own emotions, telling you to let it all out.

I don't know what happens during that part. It's all a blur, and I can barely remember anything. I just know I feel really really tired afterwords.

I heard about what happened from other people, and apparently I turn into a shadow demon thing and I go on some kind of rampage? Someone showed me a picture of what I look like. Here's the picture

....I think it looks kinda cool...

quote:

What's the greatest feat you've ever managed to achieve with them?

...It's a bit silly.

There was this fire at this animal shelter. The people got out fine, but the animals were still stuck inside, and I... I didn't want them to die. That's when I felt... I don't know what I felt, but it was different from the usual emotions I tap into when I use my powers. It was like, hm, like a strong feeling of wanting to protect something? I don't know. There was no anger or sadness this time.

Even the ways my shadows moved were different. They were careful, making sure not to damage the building any further. They snuffed out the flames with little problem, and got all the animals out. Any injured animals were handled with more care. It took a bit, but I managed to save the building and the animals all in time.

I thought, okay this is the part were everybody runs screaming from me and calls me a monster, but they... didn't. They cheered for me. It felt unusual and weird but also... nice?

quote:

Where do you like to go when you need to recharge your batteries, physically or emotionally?

The same animal shelter I saved. They let me stay and help with the animals, and they let me have my space. I bring stray animals there whenever I can. Just being around the animals is enough to help calm all those emotions inside of me.

quote:

What friend do you have that you really care about?

I have no friends. I shut away the people in my life, never letting anybody get close to me. I do not want them to see the monster inside of me, or the disappointment in their face when they realize how dark my soul really is. Anybody who does try and get close only gets hurt. I am like an unstable bomb, waiting to go off any second, bringing death and despair wherever I walk.

...I'm kidding. That was a joke.

Her name is Emi Harumi, and I guess she's my friend? We "met" at Paws for Appaws," the pet store.

...Well, fine, it was more like she saw me stand outside the store for several minutes as I spent way too long thinking about if I should go in or not. She approached me, and started talking to me. I thought, who is this girl and why can't just go away? I tried to be non-responsive as I could, but she just never gave up. She kept talking and talking, and I kept getting more and more annoyed.

Then she pulled me into the pet shop. I was going to say something, but I... might have gotten a little side-tracked by a sorta-maybe adorable bunny when I was inside. She noticed me staring at the bunny, and went up to the owner and asked if she could take it. Once she did, she walked up to me, handed the bunny over to me, and said it was mine now.

I asked her why she would do this for a stranger like me, and she said, "You just look like someone who really needs something nice today."

She was right.

We're... friends now, I guess. Close ones? I don't know. She still talks a lot, but I don't mind as much now.

Oh, and I've named the bunny Yuki and she is like the most adorable thing oh my gooooooood

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 26, 2016

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016

quote:

What lead do you have on finding Nakaharu?
Asclepia has been pulling some strings for me. I have found out so far that there is some mortals in a group called DEUS that are seeking the power of the gods. She thinks they might be behind the kidnappings, or at least a subset of them lead by a witch named Discord. She thinks he might be using captured Yokai as some sort of power source. That is as far as we have gotten on it but I am always looking for leads or any information I can find

This is the photo from his file.. I wish I could smack that smug grin off his face

quote:

What's the oddest part about being here, either in Neo Central City or the League of Heroes?
Mortals dependence on machines instead of magic. there are these things called cars.. apparently they take take mortals from one place to another... and telephones.. little boxes with voices inside of them .. Asclepia tried to explain it to me but I think i might have misunderstood.. the voices are actually people? *she shrugged some* There are other things too like mortals that look like mortals but are all gears and metal on the inside , and that box with the moving pictures on the inside.. I think Asclepia called it a TD maybe? I don't know. I was more intrested in how the magic little mortals got inside the box.

quote:

What makes Yokai weapons particularly frightening?
Other than the fact that they look completely out of place in this realm? We infuse them with magic. I personally never excelled in black magic but all Inugami can do some form of it. Mine is focused on my bow and the arrows it fires. i can make them do just about anything from what a normal arrow would do when it hits a target to something that would subdue or capture, or even make the tips explode with magic like fire or ice depending on the situation or how much magic i want to put into the arrows.

quote:

What aspect of the city are you rather fond of?
This place is completely different from my home .. I suppose that is what i like the most about it. Mortals find the most interesting ways to amuse themselves with out the dedication and ritual to life that I am used to and its this that most amuses me. Oh and there are several parks I enjoy. They make me feel peaceful .. and I do enjoy the break from my duties and responsibilities and expectations at home.. here I'm not expected to be the perfect princess of my clan.. I can just be me.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Can you mix multiple hair colors at once (blue and yellow for green, etc)?

Yeah, but I'm still getting the hang of it. It takes a lot of concentration, and honestly, nothing has really pushed me that hard just yet. Still, if I plan on doing this hero stuff for a long time, I've gotta practice all I can and level up my powers. And that includes learning how to mix and match. And - now that you ask - I'm starting to wonder if I can combine all of my powers into one. It would take a lot of energy and probably not last that long but... it'd be a great finishing blow! Guess I gotta hit the gym more...

Who is there from EVO you'd really rather not run into ever again?

Dr. Damien Grey

About a month after the incident, some random guy stopped by my house. At the time, I thought he was a part of the League of Heroes - some sort of step in the recruitment process. But his strange fascination with my powers, and odd behavior, kind sent off warning bells in my head. And the way he kept looking at me - like I was a piece of meat, some sort of puzzle to be solved, or captured. The conversation just got worse and worse - at one point, I almost thought to excuse myself and call the police. But then all of the sudden he just took off! I jumped on the internet and quickly found out who he was - Dr. Damien Grey - one of the top masterminds behind EVO. Clearly he was checking in on me and trying to see what kind of powers I had been given from their experimentation.

Part of me can't wait to see him again, if only to punch his face in. Of course... the rest of me hopes he just leaves me the hell alone. What a sicko.

What traits do you look for in friends? In competitors?

In friends, the things I always look for is loyalty and honesty. Somebody willing to trust me, and that I can put my trust in. And of course, somebody to call out my poo poo, or point out a flaw. Ultimately, though, I want people that want me around, and that trust me to help them. I'm not perfect, I know some people don't like how direct I am, or how aggressive I can be - and that's fine. Those people just need to trust that I'll do my best in any situation.

In competitors, what I look for is strength. Somebody that will challenge me, and push me to my limits. I can only get stronger by trying my best, so don't bring that weak poo poo. Give me a real fight - something we can shake hands over once the fight is over, and acknowledge each other's strength... and maybe schedule a rematch.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Rauri posted:

Nikolas, the Newborn
What are some of the extraordinary qualities of or uses for your Handspikes?

Well, they are of course functional as a weapon, even if they're not quite fit for non-lethal combat. And it has been clearly said that I should not engage in lethal combat except in the direst of circumstance. However, they do have secondary uses. For one, they are very conductive. Using them, I can draw electricity from one place to another. Naturally, draining my interior battery, I can also use it to power other devices, or, on occasion to deliver a stunning electric shock to someone. What is more, if I am more cautious, I can also use it to make a connection to an information network. Not all places are connected to wireless, and interfacing so directly allows me to access databases or command other devices. Of course, I myself am vulnerable at those times.

I eh... also seem to have found a subroutine that makes use of them for showy, but inefficient food preparation. Logs show they were used with some regularity, but I am not sure in what context.

quote:

What bit of corrupted memory was Tech Support able to fix most recently?

She is very curious about where I have been constructed, and considers my repair both a challenge and a favor to a friend. (I suppose that makes us friends? I do find spending time iwht her enjoyable) Recently, she's managed to return some memories to me. Many of it was trash data of little value, but there are some records. Some brief moments of being in some kind of manor. Very well maintained and decorated. A place for people of great wealth to spend time. But none of the memories contain people. It must have been a very empty house? I've been trying to mentally reconstruct a blueprint so perhaps we can have an idea which manor it could be, but there is simply not enough data to get a good idea. It is frustrating, since I would like to know where I'm from.

But if I'm honest, part of me doesn't want to find it. After all, the condition I was found in suggests I was not desired. But I want to know what my function is, or was.

quote:

What place in the city do you find yourself strangely fond of?

Well, there is the playground, but I have already told you that. Well, there is another thing. It makes me sound rather weird, but I feel comfortable on the subway, especially when it's really crowded. When I get the opportunity to go to the city center, I always try to travel there. Moving alongside the orderly hallways, the escalators, hunderds and hunderds of people moving together smoothly in unison without a word that needs to be said, it makes me feel like, well, just like one of the hunderds. Of course, I can't go there much, since that's not our patrol zone. But I can tell you, that if we ever end up becoming the protector of somewhere with a subway, I will be keeping a close eye on it.

quote:

What do you do when the Hero League rules conflict with your programming?

You come on a painful point. I was obviously not created by the Hero League, but with no primary function, I have adopted their goals as primary function, which means my programming, when it is not too damaged, is sub-optimal. Part of me wants to have a function, and if I need to be adapted to better perform that function, then so be it. But on the other hand, after my damage, so much of me was already lost. Anything that gets delete or overwritten is something of the old me that is gone, and there isn't that much left.

This is not a hypothetical scenario. Shortly after Tech Support had gotten me fully reactivated, she found several functioning override sequences. Certain phrases and codes that would have me fully obey the one who said them, overriding or changing whatever my current desires were, deleting memories, etc. These things were programmed pretty deep in my core. At first, when she tried to remove those, I reflexively raised every firewall I have. She hadn't asked me, said they were things that enslaved me, and she didn't want me to be a slave and just wanted to undo what someone had done to me. I told her that the place she meddled was in the very core of me. The part that had not been rewritten since first activation. To remove it, is... I don't know how to explain it. Like being brain damaged. It would make me less whole More broken. Less fit to perform my original function. She apologized, not knowing how much it would hurt me, but said it would make me free. And then we got in a discussion about whether I can be free, should be free. What freedom means.

In the end, she said that the Heroes League couldn't accept me unless the safeguards were removed, even after I suggested the Hero League could be given the override codes. Apparently that is against their principles. Faced with the option of being unable to perform even that function, I consented to the procedure. It was clear that Tech Support had imagined it more as a breaking of chains, rather than having it come across as a branding. I still feel it. It's a little niggling error message in my code, repeated every cycle, reminding me that my core programming has been damaged. I do not blame her, or the Hero League. Things are as they are, and I made the choices I made. That is freedom, isn't it? I do think she now is that much more dedicated for me to appreciate 'freedom', if only so it's worth the cost.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 27, 2016

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

quote:

What's the best trick you've ever pulled?

Convincing the world I didn't exist? Oh, wait, that's the devil! Well, I'm way better then that dude! So, my fav was when I actually managed to walk into the Hero association and replace all their cushions with whoopee cushions. I wasn't there to see the outcome. But they must have been furious! Can you imagine it? All the S class heroes sitting down and just *ppppppparp!* HAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh it's TOO GOOD! EHEHAHAHAHAHA!

quote:

What's one time things didn't go according to plan at all?

That... w-well my pranks never go wrong! They're always amazing and perfect! So I don't know why you're asking that question! Oh! I got you as well with the cushions thing didn't I? Awww, well, it's okay. You can make it up to me by taking me shopping and buying ice cream! Shhhhhh, it's okay, I forgive you! No, really it's okay, I'll just have to eat that ice cream and reflect on how you're terrible.

The whole Kong incident was a train wreck from start to finish. For one thing Holly was not supposed to be in the base on the day of the raid, but they dragged her over there because WOW Kong wanted a word. The word involved interrogating her in an attempt to break her will. Because she was disobedient and disrespectful. When the raid started Sun WOW Kong realised who was to blame practically immediately and chased Holly through the building. She was attempting to teleport away, but Kong smashed his way through the building after her. WOW Kong almost came close to killing her as well. When the heroes took Kong down and found her, she cried like a child. WOW Kong screamed that he'd have her head for this. Holly believes him, and still has nightmares of him coming close to taking her life. She covers her fears with her persona. But she's still trying to deal with it.

quote:

What's the worst part about being on parole?

Me? On PAROLE? Pshhh, I don't know who you've been talking to, but they're wrong. I'm not on Parole! I'm a free individual and I'm going to do whatever I want!

Holly has to present herself at her parole as herself, not as her heroic identity. She hates the person she is, and wishes to be as confident and outgoing as Sparkle Rose is. She's not even allowed to wear her costume or use her powers. Holly Green is a quiet and lonely girl, with dull clothes and no friends who has no fun. She lives a colourless life, and hates every moment she spends in it. At her parole she's not SPARKLE ROSE! She's Holly Green.

quote:

Tell me more about Sun WOW Kong's and his powers.

Sun WOW Kong is a monster. An utter monster. He's fast, strong, and tough, inhumanly so. He's capable of shifting his size, and even at his largest he's incredibly dexterous. Armed with a staff that can grow and shrink at will, he's a threat at any range. Reports show he's capable of swinging it fast enough to make it set on fire. He's confident, far too confident, because he's practically invulnerable. He's also easily riled up, and is prone to acts of staggering violence and cruelty. His crew is drawn from people who've been forced into it through fear. Or he's broken and serve him willingly. There are few jails that can hold him for long due to his strength and tensity.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 27, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Nevermind I am an idiot.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Also no matter who is picked, don't forget, Slipstream is clearly the most well known and qualified to be Team Captain.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Neopie posted:

Also no matter who is picked, don't forget, Slipstream is clearly the most well known and qualified to be Team Captain.

This is unequivocally untrue

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lets save our sassiness for the IC thread~

I hope to have picks for Team 2 / Team 3 (because why not) up by Friday, but I'm willing to push it back should anyone wish to app still!

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Alright, picks for Team 2 and 3 are made. Due to the numbers I got, Team 2 is getting 1 additional PC, while Team 3 is going to get the five others.

Team 2
Zenith, the Outsider - played by Tricky

Team 3
Sparkle Rose, the Delinquent - played by Arashi
Spectra, the Bull - played by Ferg
White Dog Princess, the Outsider - played by animedragonfly
Yami, the Nova - played by Hugzilla
Nikolas, the Newborn - played by Shogeton

Team 3, your thread is located here

As for Team 2, aka the Youngerdog Guardians - if you have any backgrounds with Zero Fighter or CODE, you can apply them to Zenith or to one of the old PCs, though obviously integrating the new character into the game is a good idea. Once backgrounds are finished, I'm moving everyone to a new scene a few days later, with the assumption that you succeeded in sacking the CHAOS base (hence, everyone gets the potential for their first advance if they don't already have it).

Tricky, need the following from you:
- Answer the "When our Team First Came Together" prompt (you can rewrite it since you're joining late, just tell me what happened when you met the team)
- Fill out your Relationships.
- Influence, the sheet for which is right here.
- Add your information to the infodocs when you have the time.
- EVERYONE: Let's make a permanent decision on this one, since the last vote was interim - Your vote for Team Captain for your team. Don't vote for yourself please.
- If you want to rename the Team or your base, vote for it here too.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 2, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Backgrounds

Background 1 posted:

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with Slipstream.

Slipstream is very interesting! Much like me, she seems fascinated by those we protect and eager to interact with them. Her desire for fame and recognition is not unknown to me. What goddess does not act to grow her flock? I have much enjoyed our time together so far -- though I have vowed to one day defeat her in the battle simulator known as SUPER HERO FIGHTERS. She claims that my favored characters, The Saint Beast Four, are "low tier trash," but I believe that continued practice will lead to untold powers being unleashed!

Background 2 posted:

You have a crush on Amazing Amazon but you keep it under wraps.

Ema may be the key to solving the mystery of where your prayer energies have gone. I've seen her fight -- her techniques are very different than the average hero. They remind me of one of the Divine. Perhaps that sense of familiarity is what first drew me to her. I know it should not be. I am a god. I am supposed to watch down and protect those on this plane, not find myself drawn into a liaison with a petitioner. Even so, I cannot deny that there is something there. Something that I have not felt before. Something that I cannot name in words. Perhaps there will be a time when I can reveal how I feel to her.

Influence

Influence posted:

You are thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

When the team first came together...

When the team first came together... posted:

They didn't trust me at first, but that changed. How? Why?

When I first encountered The Youngerdog Guardians, they were deep in the bowels of some sort of forbidden science lab. I heard a plea for help, for salvation. It was the clearest call I had heard since descending to this plane. How could I refuse to answer it? The team was reluctant to trust me at first, though I can't imagine why! I merely entered the facility in the most efficacious manner -- I bored a hole straight through to the lower levels with a sustained blast of divine solar energy. When I emerged, they treated me like something to be wary of. Their suspicions were abated, at least for the moment, when I teamed up with the Amazing Amazon to incapacitate the sword-wielding ninja. Our combination was flawless, like we had matched our movements through years of rigorous training. Her fighting style caught my eye as well. It reminded me of home like nothing else I had encountered. Throughout the rest of our fight into the depths of the base, we had many encounters with deadly foes and opportunities to save each other and be saved in turn. Who would not begin to trust, at least a little, after such an experience?

After the mission, the League decided that I should probably be assigned to a team. Apparently there had been concerns that I might be injured -- or worse -- in the field if I was free to move without support. I requested to remain with The Youngerdog Guardians.

Team Captain

I believe that the Amazing Amazon can be trusted to use the power of leadership responsibly, but I am confused as to why she does not want the responsibility! In that case, I will defer to her judgement and I will also nominate Miss Toshiko.

Team Name/Base Name

I have no idea what it means, but it is certainly a charming name! I have no desire to change it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 3, 2016

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Given the changing of the characters, I'm taking who I need to prove myself to not be Code, but Punch Prodigy,given that I've just been made, you know, his protege. Also, I'd love to take either of Zenith's backgrounds.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I think I'm done with everything on the Zenith side of things.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
No backstory changes on my end.

Toshiko should be the leader! She has confidence issues, which leading us should help fix, and she's got the clearest head out of the team, except maybe Zenith, but she's new so I can't really say on that. Punch Prodigy would be a good choice, but his powerset is for getting all up close and personal with people, which isn't well suited for keeping an eye on the whole fight and leading.

Our team name should be The Young Guardians, none of this Youngerdog nonsense!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Younger dog Guardians is a perfect team name that should never, ever be changed.

As for the team leader, Jj is nervous and scary, Ema is a loving rear end in a top hat, Zenith is new and kinda dippy and weirdly moraled.... and I can't vote for myself. PUNCH Prodigy has a pretty good head on himself, at least. I'll vote for him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
What if we just go by the Younger Dogs from now on? We could get dog logos on our outfits and official stationary, a dog mascot, call the base the Doghouse... :3:

GodFish posted:

No backstory changes on my end.

Toshiko should be the leader! She has confidence issues, which leading us should help fix, and she's got the clearest head out of the team, except maybe Zenith, but she's new so I can't really say on that. Punch Prodigy would be a good choice, but his powerset is for getting all up close and personal with people, which isn't well suited for keeping an eye on the whole fight and leading.

Our team name should be The Young Guardians, none of this Youngerdog nonsense!

Oh no no no no no! This is a terrible idea! I could never lead the team. Maybe Ema, though. She's so strong, and you know--she's in this for the career, not me.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Punch Prodigy thinks along the same lines as Ema about Toshiko for leader. She can lead from the rear and keep things in our favor through her battlefield control. Plus she's generally nice and it'd be cool if more people knew that.

If she has any ideas about changing anything about the base, she'd have a better shot at it by being captain!

(oh no a tie what's gonna happen???)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I swear to DOG ALMIGHTY if you draft me for team leader, I will do everything in my power to force the dog theme on you people. Even using our League stipend and my own Puzzle Powers to put a giant doghead on the HQ.

Yeah...

You just watch what happens if you push me!

[Snipped :( ]

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 3, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Aww, Toshiko... I'm sure you'd be great! But we're not doing the dog theme. No. No dog HQ. You win this one, I'll vote for Punch Prodigy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Sorry to do this to all of you, but I'm ending this game. I'm just not in the right frame of mind to be in many games right now, I'm sorry.

• Locked thread