Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Hero Name: Spectra
Playbook: The Bull

Look: Woman, Japanese, calloused hands, casual clothing, simple costume
Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon:

Hyperphotosynthetic Filtration - Rosa is able to tap into energy reserves that her body gathers from solar light energy and stores in her muscles and joints. When she desires, she can alter her body chemistry to dramatically increase energy absorption and consumption in various frequencies, each associated with different muscle groups. This change is accompanied by chemical changes to her hair, which indicates which frequency she is attuned to.
  • Superhumanly tough - Hair turns blue
  • Incredibly strong - Hair turns red
  • Uniquely skilled at fighting - Hair turns yellow

Labels
Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior 0
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves

Punch everyone
Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.

In a china shop
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Unstoppable
When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one:
  • mark a condition
  • leave something behind
  • take something with you.
On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

The Bull's Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

My weight shifts rapidly as I leap from side to side, pivoting effortlessly in a dazzling display of speed and agility. Sweat flies off of me as I change direction - this way and that - throwing light punches at paper targets taped onto the sides of playground equipment. This is my element - practice, repetition, effort. Hard work. Why do I do all this?

It's all for Friday night. Fight night. Getting into the ring and trying to top somebody else, fighting fist to fist - all to see who's stronger. To find true strength. To know what it is to be strong.

To think - I got into this drat thing all because my little brother kept getting picked on in school. All because he had a stupid horn on his head - I mean, what kind of power even is that? Of course, mine's even more useless. I can change the color of my hair - whoop de doo. So can anybody else with hair die.

Anyways, yeah, so my brother was getting picked on, and of course I have to stand up for him. So I confronted those jerks after school - they were four years younger than me. But of course they had older siblings too. And when somebody in the grade above me charged at me, fists flying, well - I stood up for myself with a swing of my own. Dropped the guy in a second.

Turns out the fight was witnessed by some older kids too, who had followed the guy that charged me. One of them, named Katana Jack, approached me afterwards. I guess he was actually a boxer, and was trying to get the guy that attacked me to drop the tough-guy act and join his gym. But after seeing my hook, he quickly changed his mind, instead trying to recruit me. "You've got the perfect form," he said, "You can't just learn that. It's in your blood. Let me help you learn how to fight."

Katana Jack, years later

Heroes of the Ring, they called it. An inside joke, it turned out - if you had any kind of combat-related power, they wouldn't let you in. But nonpowered boxing, it turns out, is still super popular, despite everything else going on. And I was good at it, too - 2 fights, 2 KOs leading up to my professional debut. And at the age of 16, I had a big match against the women's lightweight champion for the city.

So that's why I'm out here training, working on my signature move - the Whiplash Hook. The trick is putting side-to-side motion into a powerful hook to the body - it almost always breaks the guard if thrown right. So that's why I'm working on weight shifting - it's critical in pulling off the punch, and part of what Jack calls my finishing combination. I guess I'll have to learn more about that later.

And then everything goes black.

--

I woke up in a hospital bed, two weeks later. No memories of what happened - except for a strange tattoo on my neck and a note left on my body as whoever-it-was dumped me at the emergency room. The police came and went, turns out I was just one of a string of similar cases. Something called EVO, some sort of quasi-sciencey-terrorist group that was kidnapping people and experimenting on them. And as for me, well, they changed me into a weapon.

Yeah, I have powers now. Strong powers. Somehow tied into my hair color. I'm stronger - way stronger. No way they'll let me into Heroes of the Ring now. Katana Jack actually had to come and explain it to me. He was just as pissed as I was, to see somebody with potential like mine forced into early retirement.

But now, I have a new goal. To stop EVO. To stop people like... like who I used to be, from getting hurt by villains. And there's one obvious way to do that - the League of Heroes. So now, I'm stepping into a new ring. And this time - it's going to be a fight to the death.

Who changed you?

EVO symbol, branded onto Spectra's neck

EVO - En Veritas Omega. Some sort of terrorist group that likes to kidnap people and experiment on them. To some, it kills them, or disables them for life. To others, well, like me, it just changes them. All in the pursuit of some secret meaning for the changes to the world. All useless, if you ask me.

How did you escape from them?

In a way, I never did - and never will. Sure, they dropped me off at a hospital when they were done with me - but who knows what they did to me? Nobody can tell me that. Nobody knows if they did more - if I'm a ticking time bomb for something even worse. And that scares me.

But all I can do is move forward, to fight back against an uncertain future. Take the time I have, and keep advancing as a hero, and to bring them down as much as I can.

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

Hamasaki Toro

My younger brother - and the rest of my family, of course. But Toro, he cares for me the most, he really does. He was always so happy that I got into boxing - he was my biggest fan. But of course, now he feels guilty. He thinks that my boxing is why I was targeted. I try to dismiss the thought, but of course I can't help but think the same thing. But none of that matters, not really. He supports me, no matter what. Now, I've got to show him what kind of hero I'm going to be.

Why do you try to be a hero?

Because it's the right thing to do, and because it's who I am. I'd be standing up for people regardless of my powers - and now with the perfect fighting stuff, I plan on making a real difference.

Why do you care about the team?

Because... because they work just as hard as I do. All those hours of training - pushing yourself to the limit just to have a slight edge on your competition. It matters. And they all are just like me - each wanting to be the best hero that they can be. It's admirable. So I want to support them however I can, even if sometimes that means just using my fists.

What made you decide to join the League of Heroes? Do you have a positive or negative opinion of them?

It was the obvious choice once I recovered from the hospital stay - and once I realized what my new power was. The League is hands-down the strongest hero group right now. Positive, negative? No, nothing like that. I think they're strong. So I want to join them, learn from them about strength, and hopefully make them strong in my own way too.

What significant Hero or Villain have you had a run-in with? Why are they likely to remember you?

Barring EVO, I'd probably have to say Radical Rick. The one-time hero went crazy after losing his family - and now he more or less wanders the streets, looking for fights. I just happened to be nearby when he was set off by some small-time crooks trying to hold up a Quik-E-Mart. They ran out with some cash - right into Rick. He went mad, beating them, nearly to death. I felt like I had to step in to stop him - so I did. I managed to hold him off with dodges and blocks, but his strength is crazy - way more than mine. Luckily I managed to talk him down from the ledge and he came to his senses, then ran off apologizing while the authorities arrived.

Radical Rick

What do you like to do in your free time, and where do you like to hang out?

Go to the gym, of course! Even though I can't compete anymore, doesn't mean I can't still hang out and give newcomers tips or shoot the poo poo with Jack. Or with my brother, talking to him when he gets out of school, or at home. And, training of course. Just because I have super strength doesn't mean I can slack off on my training. If anything, I only have to work harder now - losing now means death, not just losing the belt.

When this series transitions from being a manga to having its own anime adaptation, what theme music would you have? What would your voice sound like?

Theme Song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKKMMnw-I-8

Voice: raspy, rugged

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Can you mix multiple hair colors at once (blue and yellow for green, etc)?

Yeah, but I'm still getting the hang of it. It takes a lot of concentration, and honestly, nothing has really pushed me that hard just yet. Still, if I plan on doing this hero stuff for a long time, I've gotta practice all I can and level up my powers. And that includes learning how to mix and match. And - now that you ask - I'm starting to wonder if I can combine all of my powers into one. It would take a lot of energy and probably not last that long but... it'd be a great finishing blow! Guess I gotta hit the gym more...

Who is there from EVO you'd really rather not run into ever again?

Dr. Damien Grey

About a month after the incident, some random guy stopped by my house. At the time, I thought he was a part of the League of Heroes - some sort of step in the recruitment process. But his strange fascination with my powers, and odd behavior, kind sent off warning bells in my head. And the way he kept looking at me - like I was a piece of meat, some sort of puzzle to be solved, or captured. The conversation just got worse and worse - at one point, I almost thought to excuse myself and call the police. But then all of the sudden he just took off! I jumped on the internet and quickly found out who he was - Dr. Damien Grey - one of the top masterminds behind EVO. Clearly he was checking in on me and trying to see what kind of powers I had been given from their experimentation.

Part of me can't wait to see him again, if only to punch his face in. Of course... the rest of me hopes he just leaves me the hell alone. What a sicko.

What traits do you look for in friends? In competitors?

In friends, the things I always look for is loyalty and honesty. Somebody willing to trust me, and that I can put my trust in. And of course, somebody to call out my poo poo, or point out a flaw. Ultimately, though, I want people that want me around, and that trust me to help them. I'm not perfect, I know some people don't like how direct I am, or how aggressive I can be - and that's fine. Those people just need to trust that I'll do my best in any situation.

In competitors, what I look for is strength. Somebody that will challenge me, and push me to my limits. I can only get stronger by trying my best, so don't bring that weak poo poo. Give me a real fight - something we can shake hands over once the fight is over, and acknowledge each other's strength... and maybe schedule a rematch.

• Locked thread