Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

I like FALs, and I like shooting .22 at 25-yard reduced sized targets. About five years ago, it occurred to me to wish that I had a .22 FAL so I could combine these two interests. Obviously the idea was folly, but wouldn't it be cool?

There are some ideas that get into your head, burrow in deep, and start buzzing around like some kind of brain-eating wasp. You can't get the idea out of your head, and eventually it drives you to action as much to quiet the obsession as to achieve the original desired results. That's what happened with the .22 FAL. This was the project that got me started with machining and has been the single greatest motivator for developing new skills and techniques in that area.

Of course, skill was notably absent at first:

Fortunately and coincidentally, a guy on the FALFiles started a group buy for new-manufacture .22 conversion kits. Although these were intended to slip into a .308 FAL, I wanted a dedicated .22 for a couple reasons. First, it would be a nice way to make use of old and janky parts that I wouldn't be caught dead putting on a pretty pretty .308 princess. Second, I could make the dedicated .22 extra heavy so that after shooting hundreds of rounds of rimfire, a .308 would feel light--if only by comparison.

The problem was that several hundred dollars is a lot to dump into a FAL receiver just for a .22. On the other hand, FAL receiver castings are cheap...

Castings are cheap and easy to get. Castings are not cheap and easy to machine. If you count tooling and time, I could have purchased several .308 receivers for what it took to machine the casting. Still, you can't put a price on tools--especially when you have to make some of the tools yourself:

The details of machining a FAL casting are interest only to a limited demographic, and I'm still working on that writeup. Suffice it to say, I machined a FAL casting so that it would work with a .22 blowback kit. That said, I didn't machine it correctly, and fixing some of the problems took a try or two. Or four.

Even with those fixes, there were still issues with the kit's fit in the receiver I screwed up made.

Some creative modifications were required.

But fortunately, I didn't have to mangle the expensive .22 insert kit because I'd made my own dedicated barrel insert.

There was barrel torquing...

...improved barrel torquing...

... and finally barrel pinning.

It wasn't all frustration and fixes, though. I got to do some fun stuff I'd wanted to try.

Making a steel charging handle knob:

Making a charging handle knob rivet:

Threading a barrel:

And finding creative ways to add weight:

I only recently finished the rifle, in both senses of the word:

Here's what five years of obsession looks like:

It shoots great, works reliably (once it got broken in after parkerizing), and is fun on a bun. At a front-heavy 11.7 pounds, it makes a scoped .308 FAL feels nimble and handy by comparison, and is great at building the shoulder muscles used to shoot offhand. How often can you categorize a range toy as weightlifting equipment? That said, I wouldn't recommend building one in this fashion unless you're looking for some way to force yourself to learn metalworking the hard way.

If you've read this far, you probably would like some more detail. Here's a writeup of the project in nauseating detail, with all moronic decisions and their inevitable acrimonious consequences detailed:

The Rimfire FAL Project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Good shoot, A+, Would shoot again!

(I seriously love this thing)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Holy moly.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

radical

is there any recoil at all on a 12-pound .22?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

This thing is just a hoot to shoot.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Holy poo poo

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

radical

is there any recoil at all on a 12-pound .22?

Physics tells us there must be.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Fang posted:

Physics tells us there must be.

but damned if he can find it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goddamned, by far the coolest thing on TFR this year.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Propagandalf posted:

but damned if he can find it.

The real question will be which force is stronger: the recoil impulse or gravity?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Thanks for sharing. I'm really impressed with the project.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

The real question will be which force is stronger: the recoil impulse or gravity?

Unless the bullet accelerates at 22007m/s^2, gravity. Warning: My physics is hella rusty and I took the class while working 45-50 hour weeks.

11.7 pounds is 5.307kg.

5.307 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 52n

40 grain bullet is .00259kg

52n /.00259kg = 22007m/s^2.

gently caress your sigfigs.

I can't believe I just bothered to work that out.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i can't believe you bothered to work that out either.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

FALs are fantastic, .22 is wonderful. Awesome. You're awesome.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

just goddamn

wow

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i can't believe you bothered to work that out either.

I thought it was going to be quicker than it was. By the time I realized I was spending too much time on it, I fell for the sunk time fallacy.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

This would go wonderfully with my WASR-22...

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Breathtaking. Thanks for the write up and pics , too.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Only you would make something so awesome and labor-intensive.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Fantastic! The right pinky of the free world!

I would love to come shoot this....

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 6, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

loving whaaaaaaaat
That is insanely cool and looks great to boot. Nice goddamn work man

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

loving amazing. I'm insanely jealous!

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unless the bullet accelerates at 22007m/s^2, gravity. Warning: My physics is hella rusty and I took the class while working 45-50 hour weeks.

11.7 pounds is 5.307kg.

5.307 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 52n

40 grain bullet is .00259kg

52n /.00259kg = 22007m/s^2.

gently caress your sigfigs.

I can't believe I just bothered to work that out.

According to Wikipedia, .22lr muzzle velocities top out around 550m/s. Let's say the bullet experiences a constant acceleration from 0m/s to 550m/s over a length of 16". At a constant acceleration its average velocity is 275m/s along the length of the barrel, meaning it will take .4064m / 275m/s = 0.00148 seconds to reach muzzle velocity. 550m/s / 0.00148s is about 37000m/s^2. Obviously internal ballistics is a lot more complicated than that but any deviation from constant acceleration will increase the peak acceleration in order to decrease it elsewhere. Also the recoil spring will spread that recoil impulse out over time so that the body of the rifle won't experience it all at once. It probably wouldn't jump if fired downward.

.22 FAL is amazing and gorgeous. Is that a .308 FAL magazine with an .22lr insert or a purpose-built look-alike?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

MrBusiness posted:

According to Wikipedia, .22lr muzzle velocities top out around 550m/s. Let's say the bullet experiences a constant acceleration from 0m/s to 550m/s over a length of 16". At a constant acceleration its average velocity is 275m/s along the length of the barrel, meaning it will take .4064m / 275m/s = 0.00148 seconds to reach muzzle velocity. 550m/s / 0.00148s is about 37000m/s^2. Obviously internal ballistics is a lot more complicated than that but any deviation from constant acceleration will increase the peak acceleration in order to decrease it elsewhere. Also the recoil spring will spread that recoil impulse out over time so that the body of the rifle won't experience it all at once. It probably wouldn't jump if fired downward.

.22 FAL is amazing and gorgeous. Is that a .308 FAL magazine with an .22lr insert or a purpose-built look-alike?

.308 magazine permanently altered with an insert to accept 20 rounds of .22. You can see part of the insert in these photos:

Edit: FN made some .22LR magazines designed to fit inside a .308 magazine body without permanent alterations. You can see an example in this post.

Fang fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 2, 2016

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is amazing.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.

College Slice

I agree, what a great project. I'd say it was worth the headaches.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I want to have your man-babbys.

Good job

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

I just finished reading your writeup on it. Man, thanks for all the effort you put not only into the gun itself, but the great documentation!

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

This is the raddest poo poo. Needs an absurdly large scope and a full rifle sized can!!

Fang
Jul 9, 2001

/r/iamverysmart

Action Jesus posted:

This is the raddest poo poo. Needs an absurdly large scope and a full rifle sized can!!

I already have the scope and will soon be making nice, chunky scope rings out of mild steel.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Fang posted:

I already have the scope and will soon be making nice, chunky scope rings out of mild steel.

I mean, brass would be heavier...

Also I forgot to mention,

Fang posted:

That said, I didn't machine it correctly, and fixing some of the problems took a try or two. Or four.

So I'm guessing there aren't many that have given this image a second look, but what you're seeing right here is some down right Mark Watney poo poo done in a small machine shop. Matching barrel threads to an eccentric and timing the two together just right. The fact that it only took four tries is completely goddamned astounding.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Goddamn son, this is loving awesome. To much work for me but this makes me want to finally put together a FAL kit I've been sitting on for years. It'll never be as cool as this though.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

BadgerMan45 posted:

Goddamn son, this is loving awesome. To much work for me but this makes me want to finally put together a FAL kit I've been sitting on for years. It'll never be as cool as this though.

But it will be a FAL that you assembled yourself and that's pretty cool on its own.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Miso Beno posted:

But it will be a FAL that you assembled yourself and that's pretty cool on its own.

This.

Call Coonan, get your receiver ordered, then talk with SpartanIV about renting the tools and get that poo poo sorted.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Really, really cool.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

I want to shoot this so bad.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

Hell yes this owns bones, nice fuckin' work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

This.

Call Coonan, get your receiver ordered, then talk with SpartanIV about renting the tools and get that poo poo sorted.

The worst part is that I already have the tools. I'm doing it.

• Locked thread