Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Most higher end coolers (and even the Wraith Spire) contact with copper though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Llamadeus posted:

Most higher end coolers (and even the Wraith Spire) contact with copper though.

It damages copper, too, just not quite as quickly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://youtu.be/4HKpMYJ-6go

I’m sure it’s fine

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pimp Drakula posted:

Folks I'm completely out of the loop and haven't built a computer in like 6 years, and I've been asked to put together a parts list for a graphic design business computer. It'll be running things like Illustrator and Corel applications geared towards embroidery, so loads of vector graphic stuff, and all I know it'll be good to have is plenty of RAM. Beyond that I don't know if any applications in that sphere can take advantage of powerful CPUs or GPUs or if the Pentium G4600 in PCPartPicker's budget home/office build that I'm using as a starting point with its integrated graphics will be more than enough for this sort of thing.

This is the build as it sits, the friend I'm building this for already has an SSD ready, and I'm basically just curious if this system would be totally adequate or if it could benefit meaningfully from a dedicated GPU or an upgrade to an i5/i7. Could the PC Building thread lend me a hand?

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($77.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($167.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill - RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic - 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: *Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $400.63

You'll want to wait as the 5xxx series Pentium "Golds" are due out "Soon(tm)," and you'll be able to put them on a board that'll accept an 8th Gen CPU later on.

Also, spend just a little bit more on the PSU and get this instead: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151203

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Killer deal on a i7 8700 K from Walmart of all places!

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/7zixf0/cpu_i78700k_31305_am_i_reading_this_right/

If you have ordered from Newegg in the past 2 weeks, you can get it price matched here: https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1361

The only thing keeping me from being all over this is learning about Intel's and AMD's security issues with their silicon process.

http://www.silicon.co.uk/security/security-management/intel-problems-spectre-meltdown-patches-227307?inf_by=5a8ef993681db83d478b4ecf

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 23, 2018

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ghostpilot posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/7zixf0/cpu_i78700k_31305_am_i_reading_this_right/

If you have ordered from Newegg in the past 2 weeks, you can get it price matched here: https://kb.newegg.com/Article/Index/12/3?id=1361

The only thing keeping me from being all over this is learning about Intel's and AMD's security issues with their silicon process.

http://www.silicon.co.uk/security/security-management/intel-problems-spectre-meltdown-patches-227307?inf_by=5a8ef993681db83d478b4ecf

Wow thanks! saved me $37

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Aside from a new video card here and there, I haven't upgraded internals since late 2011. So far it's been running fine for the games I play but, now I have the VR bug. I need something that's gonna power through Fallout VR, etc. Money isn't an object... well, within reason. Suggestions or tips?

Things I'll need:
Motherboard - Leaning towards MSI and away from Gigabyte. I'm open to overclocking but I don't have much experience with it, so if there's one with features that make it easier that would be cool. I'm also interested in that new ac(?) WiFi standard.
Processor - (Currently i5 760) Still sticking with Intel so, probably an i7-8700k? Is there something else out or on the horizon? I plan on getting a delidder tool and applying the paste.
Memory - (Currently 8GB of DDR3 1600) I'll want at least 16GB. Are there any appreciable benefits from more? What speed to shoot for? Nothing too gaudy or bulky, I'll need it to play nice with my Noctua cooler.

Things I might need:
Power Supply - I have a Corsair 550W now. Should I bump that up? I'm looking to go full modular if so.

Things I probably don't need:
Graphics Card - I have a 1080 I bought about 6 months ago before all this crypto nonsense. I wish I'd gone with the Ti but, it's too early to upgrade again?
Storage - Gonna reuse the 3 SSDs from my existing build, unless the performance has improved so much to make upgrading worth it. Are those M2(?) drives worth messing with?

Things I don't need:
Case - Very happy with my Lian-Li

Thanks.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Ok I think I'm final on these parts now.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Rhaegar/saved/cDJpbv

CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
Mobo Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING
RAM Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
SSD Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
PS EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+
Cooler Noctua - NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv TG (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Already own due to NCIX going out of business and needing to spend a gift certificate ASAP!)

Note I'm sticking with my current video card for now. MSI GTX 950.

I decided not to go with liquid cooling. The Noctua NH-D15S is perfect given the smaller size of the micro ATX motherboard and shouldn't impact the video card or RAM. One question is whether it comes with thermal paste? Even if it did should I get different, better, thermal paste?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Rhaegar posted:

I decided not to go with liquid cooling. The Noctua NH-D15S is perfect given the smaller size of the micro ATX motherboard and shouldn't impact the video card or RAM. One question is whether it comes with thermal paste? Even if it did should I get different, better, thermal paste?
All Noctua coolers come with NT-H1, it's within one or two degrees of the best pastes: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-9.html

Also personally I'd swap the PSU with an RM650x for the longer warranty and quieter fan.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the input on thermal paste. I'll do liquid metal underneath and whatever on top. Or maybe the cpu will break and then its 8700k time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything I should change on this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($313.05 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($221.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($138.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1000.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-23 14:48 EST-0500

I have a 1080 w/ 1440p and Gysnc on my monitor, and my CPU is dying/dead so I need to replace it. I'd like Ultra settings for the most part so I went with the 8700k - I wasn't sure if I should go with that or the 8600k. I already have some SSDs and just need to replace my storage/games that don't benefit much from a SSD drive.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ghostpilot posted:

Now what do I buy with $36 at newegg? This is your fault.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
My friend wants me to build a budget gaming rig, I pcpartpicker has this budget list (their intel version uses a pentium, no thanks) Is there anything glaringly wrong here that I should edit? Should I swap the 1050ti for an AMD equivalent? Is there a nicer case option? Or do any of you have a better budget build that would come in under 600? (I still haven't factored in windows... Not sure how to squeeze that in the budget, might try to reuse an old windows 7 code)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Apevia - X-QTIS-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($47.18 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $618.90

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Just as a side question, to the (Multiple!) people who have said "I Don't overclock but I'm going to de-lid and liquid metal this $$$ Processor"

Why?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pod6isjerks posted:

Aside from a new video card here and there, I haven't upgraded internals since late 2011. So far it's been running fine for the games I play but, now I have the VR bug. I need something that's gonna power through Fallout VR, etc. Money isn't an object... well, within reason. Suggestions or tips?

Things I'll need:
Motherboard - Leaning towards MSI and away from Gigabyte. I'm open to overclocking but I don't have much experience with it, so if there's one with features that make it easier that would be cool. I'm also interested in that new ac(?) WiFi standard.
Processor - (Currently i5 760) Still sticking with Intel so, probably an i7-8700k? Is there something else out or on the horizon? I plan on getting a delidder tool and applying the paste.
Memory - (Currently 8GB of DDR3 1600) I'll want at least 16GB. Are there any appreciable benefits from more? What speed to shoot for? Nothing too gaudy or bulky, I'll need it to play nice with my Noctua cooler.

Things I might need:
Power Supply - I have a Corsair 550W now. Should I bump that up? I'm looking to go full modular if so.

Things I probably don't need:
Graphics Card - I have a 1080 I bought about 6 months ago before all this crypto nonsense. I wish I'd gone with the Ti but, it's too early to upgrade again?
Storage - Gonna reuse the 3 SSDs from my existing build, unless the performance has improved so much to make upgrading worth it. Are those M2(?) drives worth messing with?

Things I don't need:
Case - Very happy with my Lian-Li

Thanks.

An 8700k is a great choice. All the Z370 motherboards support overclocking. You'll notice a substantial gain by getting 16GB of DDR4-3200. I've hit 24GB under heavy load on rare occasions so 32GB isn't a useless investment if you're throwing money into it anyway. A corsair 550W will be fine, but consider getting one of the nicer Corsair modular ones like an 650W RMx or an EVGA G3 or G1. A Samsung 960 Pro is an NVMe M.2 SSD and while NVMe is substantially faster than any SATA link, there is only a marginal improvement over a regular SSD in your day to day operations. Like while going from a platter to an SSD might drop load times from 15 to 3 seconds, going to an NVMe may only drop it from 3 to 2. Only because even a big speed gain is hardly noticeable when the speed is already so fast.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Just as a side question, to the (Multiple!) people who have said "I Don't overclock but I'm going to de-lid and liquid metal this $$$ Processor"

Why?

i don't know if I'm the intended target because I'm just planning a modest oc, but i looked at the 20 degree temp drops and figured why not? i live in a hot climate and wanted a small quiet build. there's really only 3 years of user information out there but there seems to be no negative long term consequences. I also had silicon lottery do it for me since the cost of tools vs having people who do it as their job do it for me was a wash. I also had them bin it for me because I legit hate overclocking and it's cool to know I can push to 5.2 if I want I guess.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Nitramster posted:

My friend wants me to build a budget gaming rig, I pcpartpicker has this budget list (their intel version uses a pentium, no thanks) Is there anything glaringly wrong here that I should edit? Should I swap the 1050ti for an AMD equivalent? Is there a nicer case option? Or do any of you have a better budget build that would come in under 600? (I still haven't factored in windows... Not sure how to squeeze that in the budget, might try to reuse an old windows 7 code)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: *ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: *G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Apevia - X-QTIS-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($47.18 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $618.90

https://slickdeals.net/f/11289675-d...shipping-newegg

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
There's also this combo for $600:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3755062

Intel Core i7-8700K
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000

I've been eyeballing it all day, deciding whether I should take the plunge from my 2500k. The nagging bit about Spectre and Meltdown are in the back of my mind, with it being fixed generation but is it worth waiting 6-9 months for?

I was toying with getting ahold of a 3770k for my current setup, but for the price people are asking for it, I may as well put that towards the combo above. Trying to think of how else I could shave the cost.

headcase posted:

Wow thanks! saved me $37

headcase posted:

Now what do I buy with $36 at newegg? This is your fault.

Buy what you bought for $1, 36 more times! :haw:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 24, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I may be in need of a new PC in the near future - hoping I can recover mine tomorrow, we will see.

It's old though, and it seems that miners have driven GPU prices through the roof. Am I better off building these days or buying prebuilt? Note that ordering from Newegg is a no go for me, but I do have a local Microcenter. I don't have a strict budget other than <$1k, and I do play games. I'm perfectly comfortable building, FWIW, just doesn't seem to be cost effective right now.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

I may be in need of a new PC in the near future - hoping I can recover mine tomorrow, we will see.

It's old though, and it seems that miners have driven GPU prices through the roof. Am I better off building these days or buying prebuilt? Note that ordering from Newegg is a no go for me, but I do have a local Microcenter. I don't have a strict budget other than <$1k, and I do play games. I'm perfectly comfortable building, FWIW, just doesn't seem to be cost effective right now.

If your old graphics card is relatively recent, you may be able to sell it for a chunk of change to put towards a new one. That's what pushed me over the edge to pick up a 1060 - I got a new itx 6gb off ebay for $325, but it looks like I should be able to sell my old 970 for $250-300. And if prices ever go back down, I can do a proper upgrade.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It is nowhere close to recent.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
Fellow goons,

My current PC bought in 2011 is already showing its age. I need to know if I can bring it back to 2018 and decent performance just by upgrading the graphics card, or I would be better off buying a new one altogether.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Setup as follows:

Intended system usage: Gaming.
Max Budget: Around 1500€
Monitor setup: Double monitor, 2560x1080 + 1920x1080
Fancy graphics?: I don't need "everything at Ultra", but I don't want to upgrade again in another 5-7 years if possible. So I guess that means "Everything at Ultra".

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 45 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock Z68 Professional Gen3 (CPUSocket) 38 °C
Graphics
LG ULTRAWIDE (2560x1080@60Hz)
SMEX2220 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (ASRock)
1279MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 53 °C
ForceWare version: 385.41
SLI Disabled
Storage
111GB SanDisk SDSSDA120G ATA Device (SSD) 35 °C
59GB M4-CT064M4SSD2 ATA Device (SSD)
1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHBS112 2 ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Super86 posted:

Fellow goons,

My current PC bought in 2011 is already showing its age. I need to know if I can bring it back to 2018 and decent performance just by upgrading the graphics card, or I would be better off buying a new one altogether.

That is very similar to what I replaced and the new stuff is so goooooood. Technology has come a long way. That said, I think upgrading the graphics card is your priority.

I wonder if the best bang for your buck would be a ~$300 video card and a ~$200 processor and fill in the gaps needed, reusing what you can. All of this is anticipating replacing the graphics card again when there is an oversupply of them in a year or 2

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Super86 posted:

Fellow goons,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Setup as follows:

Intended system usage: Gaming.
Max Budget: Around 1500€
Monitor setup: Double monitor, 2560x1080 + 1920x1080
Fancy graphics?: I don't need "everything at Ultra", but I don't want to upgrade again in another 5-7 years if possible. So I guess that means "Everything at Ultra".

So long as you don't care about running games on both monitors or with ultra settings, a new graphics card should do you fine. Before the motherboard bit the dust, my old i7 970K/6GB RAM ran games like Destiny 2 and The Division just fine on high with a 4GB GTX 970. I personally wouldn't recommend anything lower than a 4GB 970 or 6gb 1060, but you might be able to find one of those on ebay or the like for ~€300. I doubt that one of those would last you another 5-7 years if you want to play the newest/fanciest games, but the 1070 and 1080 are so ridiculously priced right now (€850+ vs €350+ msrp) that you might find it worthwhile just waiting to see what happens with prices.

For the CPU, there's not a whole lot you can do with an upgrade without replacing the MOBO and RAM, too. A 3770K would fit on your board, but would set you back €300+ for minimal improvement. A z370 MOBO with 2x8GB of DDR4 3200 looks like it would be about €300 and then another €150-€350 for something between an i5 8400 and an i7 8700K.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Super86 posted:

Fellow goons,

It would be a shame if you haven't overclocked that 2600K, it should be a crime of some description not to overclock Sandy Bridge...

Anyway, you'd be well-served by first upgrading your graphics card, then seeing how things run. Honestly, even an old 2600K can feed a new graphics card to a reasonable degree. You'll probably find out that with a nice card (like a 1070 or a 1080) that everything runs well.

That said, now is a particularly terrible time to upgrade a machine due to high RAM and graphics card prices, and new NVIDIA cards are supposedly just around the corner; so I'd definitely wait for the new cards to arrive, unless you find a killer deal.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 24, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is it 120mm where Noctua's fans are considered to be nothing special vs the Corsair ML Pros, or 140mm?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is it 120mm where Noctua's fans are considered to be nothing special vs the Corsair ML Pros, or 140mm?

The MLs are the best at both sizes, but the gap is MUCH wider for 120mm. At 140mm it's more of a wash. Noctuas aren't second place either however.

I'd just recommend the regular ML's, the price difference is substantial and all you lose is the rubber corners which can be replaced aftermarket very cheaply either by a radiator gasket or rubber washers.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I mean, I prefer silence over an extra bit of CFM, so my rec would be Noctua. Just depends on what you're going for.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

kloa posted:

I mean, I prefer silence over an extra bit of CFM, so my rec would be Noctua. Just depends on what you're going for.

Airflow normalised silence is the metric we are referring too. Noctuas aren't the best noise/performance fans and haven't been for quite a while, but they have a huge amount of lifelong fans (pun not intended) from when they were.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Stickman posted:

So long as you don't care about running games on both monitors or with ultra settings, a new graphics card should do you fine. Before the motherboard bit the dust, my old i7 970K/6GB RAM ran games like Destiny 2 and The Division just fine on high with a 4GB GTX 970. I personally wouldn't recommend anything lower than a 4GB 970 or 6gb 1060, but you might be able to find one of those on ebay or the like for ~€300. I doubt that one of those would last you another 5-7 years if you want to play the newest/fanciest games, but the 1070 and 1080 are so ridiculously priced right now (€850+ vs €350+ msrp) that you might find it worthwhile just waiting to see what happens with prices.

For the CPU, there's not a whole lot you can do with an upgrade without replacing the MOBO and RAM, too. A 3770K would fit on your board, but would set you back €300+ for minimal improvement. A z370 MOBO with 2x8GB of DDR4 3200 looks like it would be about €300 and then another €150-€350 for something between an i5 8400 and an i7 8700K.

Thanks. It's precisely running The Division what made me decide. I'm running it on Low and I don't even reach 30fps most of the time during combat.

Regarding the CPU, I don't feel the need to upgrade it at all. Why should I? It's just "good practice", or there is more to it?

HalloKitty posted:

It would be a shame if you haven't overclocked that 2600K, it should be a crime of some description not to overclock Sandy Bridge...

Anyway, you'd be well-served by first upgrading your graphics card, then seeing how things run. Honestly, even an old 2600K can feed a new graphics card to a reasonable degree. You'll probably find out that with a nice card (like a 1070 or a 1080) that everything runs well.

That said, now is a particularly terrible time to upgrade a machine due to high RAM and graphics card prices, and new NVIDIA cards are supposedly just around the corner; so I'd definitely wait for the new cards to arrive, unless you find a killer deal.

Nope, never overclocked it. As I said I've never felt my CPU were under real stress so I've never felt the need. Is there something I'm missing?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is it a bad idea to build a PC right now?

I know nobody can definitively predict what's going to happen with cryptocurrency and Ampere, but prices seem crazy at the moment.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jack the Lad posted:

I know nobody can definitively predict what's going to happen with cryptocurrency and Ampere, but prices seem crazy at the moment.

It is quite a bad time because GPU prices and RAM prices are high at the moment.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

Ryzen+ is about to come out in April, Nvidia will announce their new GPU line a month from now, and DRAM prices might go down after companies ramped up production. And new CPUs usually means new motherboards (for AMD/AM4 in this case).

GPU prices might go up, but a new GTX 11X0/20X0 is probably going to have a better price to performance ratio in most cases either way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jack the Lad posted:

It's a decent time if you've got a serviceable GPU to grandfather in the meantime. I'm holding onto my 970 and praying it holds out until I can get my hands on a new-gen x70/x80.

The 8700K is flirting with $300, you can get a decent mid-range Z370 board for $130-150, and even 2x8GB ~3000Mhz DDR4 is starting to get closer to $175 with promo codes (though it'd be a lot nicer if it were down ~$110-125 where it was). PSU prices are great, you can snag the AW 34" UltraWide for $999 new and ~$850 refurb...

...it's a great time to buy ~70% of a PC. It's the remaining 30% that's kind of a bitch right now. That's why I bought the AW now and I'm going to *try* to get my hands on an MSRP Ampere/Turing/WhateverTheFuck.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Why?

They can always overclock it in a few years and enjoy cooler/quieter operation in the meantime. Or the people who use cases like a DAN A4 or S4 Mini, because up to 20 degrees is huge when your CPU cooler is limited to about 50 mm height.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Super86 posted:

Nope, never overclocked it. As I said I've never felt my CPU were under real stress so I've never felt the need. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes, there are in fact cpu limited games and clocking that CPU up to even a modest 4.2ghz would be a massive improvement in performance. 4.4 or 4.5 ghz is pretty easy with a nice 25 dollar cooler.

This fact becomes much more noticeable if you upgrade your video card to a 1070 or higher.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-2

Like everyone is saying, it's a relatively bad time to upgrade, but a graphics card and OC will make up a huge amount of performance.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't want to OC or anything, I just want my GPU to be more quiet. I'm not adverse to water cooling, but don't want to spend a ton. I don't have a huge case, it's a Corsair carbyde 200R, I think. Geforce 980.

I was thinking I could just reapply some thermal gunk but that probably isn't going to do much for fan noise when it is under load.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Hi PC Building thread! Please critique this build.

Usage: Linux/Win10 dual-boot. Linux for work (Ruby/Rails/Elixir/Javascript), and Win10 for gaming. I don't plan on overclocking.
Budget: Around $1000 for the stuff listed here, but I'm definitely flexible.

I already own a Dell U3415W Ultrawide (3440 x 1440), and would like to eventually use it at native resolution for games.

Since GPU prices are hosed right now I'm going to limp along on the integrated GPU on the i7 until things settle down.... I plan on eventually getting a 1080 or 1080Ti.

Should I bump up the PSU a bit? I already have a couple SSDs laying around, and a Win10 License taken care of.

I might shop the stuff around at Amazon and NewEgg, instead of actually buying from OutletPC...

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($178.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $888.86

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't want to OC or anything, I just want my GPU to be more quiet. I'm not adverse to water cooling, but don't want to spend a ton. I don't have a huge case, it's a Corsair carbyde 200R, I think. Geforce 980.

I was thinking I could just reapply some thermal gunk but that probably isn't going to do much for fan noise when it is under load.

New thermal compound could help. The card is years old, right? Have you blown out the card with a can of air? Might be an ok idea to put some Noctua or other overpriced case fans in the computer to get overall airflow increased. You could underclock your GPU. You can limit your framerate to your refresh rate which might let the card take it easier on older games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

manero posted:

Hi PC Building thread! Please critique this build.

Usage: Linux/Win10 dual-boot. Linux for work (Ruby/Rails/Elixir/Javascript), and Win10 for gaming. I don't plan on overclocking.
Budget: Around $1000 for the stuff listed here, but I'm definitely flexible.

I already own a Dell U3415W Ultrawide (3440 x 1440), and would like to eventually use it at native resolution for games.

Since GPU prices are hosed right now I'm going to limp along on the integrated GPU on the i7 until things settle down.... I plan on eventually getting a 1080 or 1080Ti.

Should I bump up the PSU a bit? I already have a couple SSDs laying around, and a Win10 License taken care of.

Get 2x 8GB of RAM. You'll be leaving performance on the table otherwise. DDR4-3200 isn't necessary, but if not much more expensive than slightly slower stuff, go for it. The power supply is fine unless you plan to heavily overclock GPU and CPU. Speaking of which, if you aren't going to overclock, lose the K chip.