Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

The OP says NOT to get the lovely Killer stuff and I can vouch for it as I finally moved away from my MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and it's horrible bandwidth gimping Killer ethernet garbage.

I meant 'it' as in the motherboard, not the killer bullshit.

It's all good, looks like it has intel ethernet controllers etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Intel NICs are high on the list of things that can break a tie between two similar boards for me. I wouldn't turn down an otherwise perfect board because of Realtek/etc but it falls into the category of "very nice to have".

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

So my laptop kicked the bucket right as I graduated college this last month. I'm looking to replace it (with a desktop, I think) on a Fairly Tight Budget, and my buddy mentioned he wants to sell off his current desktop and start fresh because he can afford it now. I've never bought a used computer from a private seller before, let alone a custom built one.

I slapped some of it into Part Picker over here, partially to share here and partially to check its upgradableness in case I end up keeping it for a while. He's asking 300 for the system (which includes a case and stuff that I didn't feel like punching into Part Picker) and I have a monitor and peripherals ready to go, so I'm just buying the tower. From what I could tell it can accommodate a fair bit more RAM and a much beefier GFX card if I become so inclined. Am I right in that thinking?

I'm mostly gonna use it for some 1080p gaming (Elite Dangerous, TESO, Division - nothing bleeding edge) and general work station stuff - word processing and excel, maybe some R and Lightworks. It seems like a really good option given my situation and budget but I figured I'd check my thinking here in case I was getting overeager.

PS I know I didn't list storage above - is it possible for me to take the 1TB HD and 512GB SSD out of my laptop and plug them right into this fucker? That would be really convenient.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 21, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

plape tickler posted:

This is a pretty good deal right? I was planning to build a new system and spend around 2K and get a monitor but I think I might buy this and wait a few years to build a system. Wait until there are cards that can easily drive 4K displays in demanding games and hdr monitors are more common.

The only thing I'm not 100% on in this system is the SSD (because I'm not sure which brand/model it is), but it's still an SSD, and you'd be paying ~$1300 for this now building it on your own with similar specs since 1070s have bounced in price.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sixto Lezcano posted:

So my laptop kicked the bucket right as I graduated college this last month. I'm looking to replace it (with a desktop, I think) on a Fairly Tight Budget, and my buddy mentioned he wants to sell off his current desktop and start fresh because he can afford it now. I've never bought a used computer from a private seller before, let alone a custom built one.

I slapped some of it into Part Picker over here, partially to share here and partially to check its upgradableness in case I end up keeping it for a while. He's asking 300 for the system (which includes a case and stuff that I didn't feel like punching into Part Picker) and I have a monitor and peripherals ready to go, so I'm just buying the tower. From what I could tell it can accommodate a fair bit more RAM and a much beefier GFX card if I become so inclined. Am I right in that thinking?

I'm mostly gonna use it for some 1080p gaming (Elite Dangerous, TESO, Division - nothing bleeding edge) and general work station stuff - word processing and excel, maybe some R and Lightworks. It seems like a really good option given my situation and budget but I figured I'd check my thinking here in case I was getting overeager.

PS I know I didn't list storage above - is it possible for me to take the 1TB HD and 512GB SSD out of my laptop and plug them right into this fucker? That would be really convenient.

"Upgradableness" on an Ivy Bridge is limited - also, confirm if it's a 3470 or 3470K since it's in a Z77 board, as that would give you the ability to overclock. The 750Ti is going to lag being a 2014 GPU and only having 2GB of frame buffer, but the good news is that you *would* be able to use your HDD and SSD - SATA plugs are universal, but you're probably going to need to get a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, and prioritize getting one that will allow you to stack two drives in one, like this: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-3-5-Inch-Converter-SDP08-LITE/dp/B00EHDZLDM

Not sure what your budget is above $300, but maybe consider this as an option: http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

$300 sounds steep for that unless the things you couldn't be bothered with are somehow amazing.
CPU - worth about $50
PSU - $20, but that one would be old, so $0
Mobo - $50
RAM - v0v

You could build that in a scrap case for ~$150 just from eBay.
There are much better options if you want to throw some used parts together.

A) Take any 'k' chip 2xxxk or later
B) Put it on the chipset for that gen that allows overclocking
C) Find some mid-tier DDR3
D) Find a used 670 or similar
E) Buy a new PSU

A-C combo is about $150-170
GPU about $70
It'd just about do what you want smoothly enough to be worth your time. ED & TSO would work great. The division would need a few compromises (mid level graphics for 60fps).
If you have more money, spend more on the GPU.

The laptop HDD would likely transplant and be slow, but workable for storage.
The SSDs used in laptops are usually not, but you can find out if its a normal SSD in a normal form factor.

e: I didn't see the 750ti in the build somehow. At this point, I wouldn't recommend trying to game much on it and would go for a used 670 or whatever you can afford. A 670 would greatly exceed the ability of a 750ti.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 21, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Usually yes but not always. What laptop model? Sometimes SSDs are soldered down to the board (Apple does this). If so, nothing you can do.

Usually if they are a small form factor they are M.2 or mSATA, big form factor means 2.5". You can transplant these fairly easily, many modern motherboards will have M.2 or mSATA access (usually M.2 nowadays). If not, you can buy a mSATA-to-2.5" SATA enclosure or M.2 SATA to 2.5" SATA enclosure, or if it's NVMe then you can get a M.2 NVMe to PCIe adapter sled.

And to echo Khablam, laptop HDDs are usually fairly slow compared to desktop HDDs, but it will at least get you started.

If you can download CrystalDiskInfo (non-:nyoron: edition, here's a direct link), go to Edit > Copy, and then paste the specs section for your drives into a reply, we can probably tell you what you've got. Like this:

quote:

-- Disk List ---------------------------------------------------------------
(1) Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB : 250.0 GB [0/0/0, pd1] - sg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Firmware : EXT0DB6Q
Serial Number : [snip]
Disk Size : 250.0 GB (8.4/137.4/250.0/250.0)
Buffer Size : Unknown
Queue Depth : 32
# of Sectors : 488397168
Rotation Rate : ---- (SSD)
Interface : Serial ATA
Major Version : ACS-2
Minor Version : ATA8-ACS version 4c
Transfer Mode : SATA/600 | SATA/600
Power On Hours : 22849 hours
Power On Count : 96 count
Host Writes : 11419 GB
Wear Level Count : 66
Temperature : 31 C (87 F)
Health Status : Good (100 %)
Features : S.M.A.R.T., 48bit LBA, NCQ, TRIM
APM Level : ----
AAM Level : ----
Drive Letter : C:

The giant hex tables for SMART and IDENTIFY_DEVICE are unnecessary.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Hi guys. My wife is an architect and we're hoping to buy a PC that she'll be able to use to work from home once we land in Canada. Appreciate any help, especially with the monitor, the only thing she specified is that it needed to be "at least" 27in.

What country are you in? Canada (Toronto)

What are you using the system for? Architecture & Interior Design software.

What's your budget? CAD 1800. Up to 2000 if the monitor we chose isn't good enough.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?

- AutoCAD: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-AutoCAD-2017.html
- Maya: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Maya-2017.html
- Revit: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...t-products.html

What is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080, 27''.

This is a build we put together so far:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/amanda1306/saved/66YkLk

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
man the etherium poo poo has hit aus prices, this is garbage.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Sulla posted:

Hi guys. My wife is an architect and we're hoping to buy a PC that she'll be able to use to work from home once we land in Canada. Appreciate any help, especially with the monitor, the only thing she specified is that it needed to be "at least" 27in.

What is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080, 27''.

This is a build we put together so far:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/amanda1306/saved/66YkLk

I can't comment on professional software requirements, but I think your wife may be happier with a 1440p IPS screen if she'll be working with graphics all day and you can fit it in the budget. For the one you linked the viewing angles aren't great and I can't find the panel type listed anywhere which makes me think it's probably TN. Also, it's not terrible but 1080p is a bit low for 27".

Luke Skywalker
Oct 12, 2005

the force is strong with this one
So my old reliable finally gave up the ghost and looks like I'll finally get that upgrade. Can someone take a look at my proposed build and give me any helpful tweaks.

In the states
Primarily using this for gaming
Budget is about 1800
Possibility of overclocking but only in the distant future

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($174.58 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($814.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($132.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: ~ $1831.18

Thanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Luke Skywalker posted:

So my old reliable finally gave up the ghost and looks like I'll finally get that upgrade. Can someone take a look at my proposed build and give me any helpful tweaks.

In the states
Primarily using this for gaming
Budget is about 1800
Possibility of overclocking but only in the distant future

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($174.58 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($814.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: ~ $1831.18

Thanks.

1. You're going to hate trying to cram all that poo poo into a 200R. Alternatives not too far outside your given price range:
- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854052
- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854029 (grey just in case white isn't your thing)
- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352069 (this isn't Fractal's top of the line [which costs ~$120], but it looks decent enough)

2. The thread favorite for HSFs now is: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

3. Consider going with an M.2 SSD to save on superfluous wires. They don't cost any more than their 2.5" SKUs.

4. The SuperNOVA is an older PSU, and the thread favorites are:
- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139142 (750W is actually the same price stock as the 550W model is after rebate - the RMx also comes with a 10 year warranty)
- Typically I'd put the EVGA G3 in here, and it'd definitely be a recommended choice given that you seem to want a smaller ATX case, but right now the only rebated one on Newegg is the 550W, and I kind of agree with you that a 1080Ti warrants 650W.

5. Obligatory Micro Center mention for the $30 discount, plus: http://www.microcenter.com/product/479097/G428_Desktop_Computer

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 22, 2017

Luke Skywalker
Oct 12, 2005

the force is strong with this one

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1-4. Good advice

5. Obligatory Micro Center mention for the $30 discount, plus: http://www.microcenter.com/product/479097/G428_Desktop_Computer

So basically #5? I'm not too familiar with Micro Center but this looks like my build plus as you stated, 30 bucks discounted.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If I'm running a GTX 1070 and i5-6600k @ 4.4ish GHz, is it finally time to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? This seems trivial and dumb but even after a factory reset/restore of Windows 10, I'm finding my computer gets a little... sluggish at times, particularly in the last bit. It could be my qBittorrent client seeding 1300+ files at once but I keep reading different things on whether or not 8 is sufficient enough.

I don't encode or create content of any sort, mostly just browse and game if that's any help. And my current 8GB of RAM is 2133mhz, hopefully that's still plenty good enough so I can just get another 8 [or 16?] GB stick.

I'm using this RAM currently. I have no idea if it's lovely and I should just get rid of it or add another stick to it, open to ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SV7IILC/?tag=pcpapi-20

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 22, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Luke Skywalker posted:

So basically #5? I'm not too familiar with Micro Center but this looks like my build plus as you stated, 30 bucks discounted.

Actually, the price is the price for that prebuilt. The $30 only matters if you've got one of their stores nearby - they offer a $30 discount on a CPU/Motherboard pairing.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I just noticed the final price for the prebuilt is $30 less than your original total.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, I'm an Aussie looking to upgrade my desktop since it's a fairly old prebuilt. I figured I'd jump straight over to building one so I had a bit of a look around.

I mostly use it to do gaming, but I do a bit of LP and being able to render video's quickly is nice. I'm not super picky about graphics, my current monitor only does 1080p and I don't care about 4K or VR. I don't mind if I have to turn down graphics, I just want 60 fps.

I'm not super keen on spending more than $1000 AUD, but I might be able to go up to like $1200 if I have to?

Current list is as:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($157.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($99.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card
Case: Corsair - Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.69 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.00 @ Shopping Express)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel - 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $990.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 20:42 AEST+1000

I've got a monitor and keyboard+mouse lying around already, just was wondering if there was anything else I needed to take a look at before I committed.

E - I just realised the GPU is out of stock in Australia. Anyone know any good replacements?

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 22, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Godinster posted:

If I'm running a GTX 1070 and i5-6600k @ 4.4ish GHz, is it finally time to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? This seems trivial and dumb but even after a factory reset/restore of Windows 10, I'm finding my computer gets a little... sluggish at times, particularly in the last bit. It could be my qBittorrent client seeding 1300+ files at once but I keep reading different things on whether or not 8 is sufficient enough.

I don't encode or create content of any sort, mostly just browse and game if that's any help. And my current 8GB of RAM is 2133mhz, hopefully that's still plenty good enough so I can just get another 8 [or 16?] GB stick.

I'm using this RAM currently. I have no idea if it's lovely and I should just get rid of it or add another stick to it, open to ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SV7IILC/?tag=pcpapi-20

I can't tell you if you're running out .. check?
That said, if/when you decide to upgrade, ditch that stick and get 2x8Gb of 3000-3200 speed RAM. The prices are reasonable and the speed increase from budget 2133 to decent ~3000 will be noticeable in some places without benchmarking.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Time to finally get around to replacing my almost decade old PC since it can't run anything anymore. I appreciate any input anyone has on this build

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web/office on Windows 10, mid tier gaming (Civ, minecraft, Elder Scrolls, etc), photo editing, occasional simple CAD and matlab work
What's your budget? I'd like to keep it under $1,200 but could go up to $1,500 if need be, also wouldn't mind getting talked down to more around the $800 range. I used the "Value Gamer" example in the OP as my starting point and the only major change I made was an i5 instead of an i3. Other than that I just tried to pick options that had a large number of reviews and were at least 4 stars.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1980x1080 is what I was hoping to be able to support

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($187.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($75.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($293.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($75.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1067.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 13:48 EDT-0400

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I started a post to sort that out a bit for you, but as is so common you can't beat the Microcentre pre-build at that price point, especially given GPU prices right now.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

That's more motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU for less money.
Add some more HDD to taste.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Khablam posted:

I started a post to sort that out a bit for you, but as is so common you can't beat the Microcentre pre-build at that price point, especially given GPU prices right now.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

That's more motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU for less money.
Add some more HDD to taste.

Yeah, that looks like it'll work quite nicely. Thanks.

nerox
May 20, 2001
All my stuff for my new computer arrived, except for my case and PSU, which finally shipped yesterday..... UPS Ground..... From California.

Guess I get to look at pretty boxes of computer parts until next Tuesday. :suicide:

Amazon Prime has legit spoiled me on ordering poo poo online and getting it quickly.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Mysticblade posted:

Hey, I'm an Aussie looking to upgrade my desktop since it's a fairly old prebuilt. I figured I'd jump straight over to building one so I had a bit of a look around.

I mostly use it to do gaming, but I do a bit of LP and being able to render video's quickly is nice. I'm not super picky about graphics, my current monitor only does 1080p and I don't care about 4K or VR. I don't mind if I have to turn down graphics, I just want 60 fps.

I'm not super keen on spending more than $1000 AUD, but I might be able to go up to like $1200 if I have to?

Current list is as:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($157.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($194.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($99.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card
Case: Corsair - Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.69 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($155.00 @ Shopping Express)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel - 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($89.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $990.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-22 20:42 AEST+1000

I've got a monitor and keyboard+mouse lying around already, just was wondering if there was anything else I needed to take a look at before I committed.

E - I just realised the GPU is out of stock in Australia. Anyone know any good replacements?

The parts you picked here are a bit old, and although your budget is a limitation, you can do better. I'd recommend a build centered around a Ryzen 1400 and GTX 1050 Ti.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($115.00 @ PLE Computers)
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.00 @ Umart)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card ($209.00 @ Umart)
Case: Deepcool - KENDOMEN Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $1130.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 06:24 AEST+1000

You could also look into getting the G4650 processor. Similar performance as the i3-6100 with newer architecture and chipset for just 70 bucks.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Does it matter who you get your ram from?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...A4A&ignorebbr=1

I know $10 or so more and you get name brand.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($0.00 Owned already)
Motherboard: Asus - P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($0.00 Owned already)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($111.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card ($526.91 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.00 Owned already)
Power Supply: Rosewill - Green 630W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00 Owned already)
Total: $738.68

I posted a few pages back about building a whole new setup, but got some advice that I might be okay just upgrading the GPU and RAM in my current system instead. The above is what my build would look like if I did that. Any issues that I should be aware of? Usage is for gaming on a 1440p monitor. Looking for decent performance.

I seem to be limited by the mobo to DDR-3 2400 RAM and I'm curious if the 1080 card is worth the premium over a 1060 with my setup, or if there's a better version of the 1080 that I should be getting (I just picked the one with the most positive reviews in the price range).

And I added the SSD just for more storage - already have a 128gb Samsung SSD in there, but would like more fast storage space.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

E2M2 posted:

Does it matter who you get your ram from?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...A4A&ignorebbr=1

I know $10 or so more and you get name brand.

People will say "RAM is RAM" and they'll be right, but the reason I/we recommend Corsair is that they have the best North American service infrastructure. Buy from "TeamGroup" and you might be waiting for your RMA to get to you from Taiwan. Corsair has depots, offices, and warehouses in the US (because they have to stock the Fry's, Micro Centers, and Best Buys of the country), so the likelihood that you'll get a replacement shipped to you from within the confines of North America is that much higher, minimizing downtime in the event of your RAM loving up after the return window.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

BCRock posted:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($0.00 Owned already)
Motherboard: Asus - P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($0.00 Owned already)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($111.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Turbo OC Video Card ($526.91 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($0.00 Owned already)
Power Supply: Rosewill - Green 630W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($0.00 Owned already)
Total: $738.68

I posted a few pages back about building a whole new setup, but got some advice that I might be okay just upgrading the GPU and RAM in my current system instead. The above is what my build would look like if I did that. Any issues that I should be aware of? Usage is for gaming on a 1440p monitor. Looking for decent performance.

I seem to be limited by the mobo to DDR-3 2400 RAM and I'm curious if the 1080 card is worth the premium over a 1060 with my setup, or if there's a better version of the 1080 that I should be getting (I just picked the one with the most positive reviews in the price range).

And I added the SSD just for more storage - already have a 128gb Samsung SSD in there, but would like more fast storage space.

I'd normally ponder the 1070 instead of the 1080, but given the crash in 1080 prices due to the 1080ti and the inflation of 1070 prices due to idiots gobbling up buttcoin miners, it's a pretty great buy these days!

The 1080s all overclock to essentially identical levels as the main limitation is power. That said, you've picked out what appears to be a blower model. Blowers tend to be louder, and for the same price you can find quiet versions. EVGA has great warranty/support, I'd recommend one of their two or three fan models. Price should be pretty close.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Deuce posted:

I'd normally ponder the 1070 instead of the 1080, but given the crash in 1080 prices due to the 1080ti and the inflation of 1070 prices due to idiots gobbling up buttcoin miners, it's a pretty great buy these days!

The 1080s all overclock to essentially identical levels as the main limitation is power. That said, you've picked out what appears to be a blower model. Blowers tend to be louder, and for the same price you can find quiet versions. EVGA has great warranty/support, I'd recommend one of their two or three fan models. Price should be pretty close.

Thanks - that's helpful. I had no idea about the difference in fan setup, so I'll look for one of the quiet cards. And yeah, based on price alone it seems like going with a 1070 over a 1080 would be silly, but wasn't sure if the 1060 is worth considering since it's about half the price of the 1080.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i bought the entry level skylake pentium like two years ago to replace my aging phenom and i still have the thing sitting a box with a hyper 212 sitting on it because, well, this pentium runs at like 45c under load with the stock cooler. i'm gonna be upgrading to an i5 or something, there aren't any special pieces that i probably threw away to attach it to an intel board, right? i'm pretty sure the scissor mount is explicitly for that purpose but i figured i'd ask

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nigga crab pollock posted:

i bought the entry level skylake pentium like two years ago to replace my aging phenom and i still have the thing sitting a box with a hyper 212 sitting on it because, well, this pentium runs at like 45c under load with the stock cooler. i'm gonna be upgrading to an i5 or something, there aren't any special pieces that i probably threw away to attach it to an intel board, right? i'm pretty sure the scissor mount is explicitly for that purpose but i figured i'd ask

I can't understand this. If you have a NIB Hyper 212 Evo then yes, you have whatever you need for the i5. Every cooler comes with its own mounting system and you don't need to re-use any parts from the stock cooler if that's what you're asking.

AMD/LGA2011 style coolers sometimes use a bar with a lever that clamps it down. LGA1150/51/etc often have an X-shaped gizmo that you screw down onto a backplate.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I need a new desktop at work, specifically for doing compiles. Lots of compiles. Android build, ARM linux build, our software, our app, etc. Zero gaming, the only reason for a GPU is Ryzen doesn't have an APU.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 460 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($108.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus - VA32AQ 31.5" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($270.00 refurbished)
Keyboard: EagleTec - KG010 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.92 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - M705 Wireless Laser Mouse ($23.52 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1337.24

Can I run dual-GPU on B350? Not SLI, a separate GPU to do hardware passthrough virtualization.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ryzen has a significant problem with segmentation faulting when compiling using GCC. Make sure that won't affect your use before you pull the trigger.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Harik posted:

I need a new desktop at work, specifically for doing compiles. Lots of compiles. Android build, ARM linux build, our software, our app, etc. Zero gaming, the only reason for a GPU is Ryzen doesn't have an APU.
Can I run dual-GPU on B350? Not SLI, a separate GPU to do hardware passthrough virtualization.

Arivia posted:

Ryzen has a significant problem with segmentation faulting when compiling using GCC. Make sure that won't affect your use before you pull the trigger.

That's a solid point and I would agree, you may want to give Ryzen a pass on that basis alone. Cross-compiling may make you run into all kinds of edge cases that might not even be getting exercised yet.

Pretty sure VT-d/IOMMU is hosed up on first-gen Ryzen too so that kills the other half of your use-case too.

Threadripper would do if it's a new stepping with those bugs fixed. Otherwise how about a Xeon E3-1230 V5?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 23, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's a solid point and I would agree, you may want to give Ryzen a pass on that basis alone. Cross-compiling may make you run into all kinds of edge cases that might not even be getting exercised yet.

Pretty sure VT-d/IOMMU is hosed up on first-gen Ryzen too so that kills the other half of your use-case too.

Threadripper would do if it's a new stepping with those bugs fixed. Otherwise how about a Xeon E3-1230 V5?

I think the IOMMU problems were sorted out with AGESA 1.0.0.6 (when they enabled PCIe Access Control Services that were left off for whatever reason). I'm bouncing that off the VFIO people and they're reporting that it now works properly.

It does sound like you can't use Ryzen for... well I guess anything serious right now. If you can cause random errors when doing compilation you don't know what kind of corruption happens in string-heavy computation.

I'm hoping that it's just this:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/b48dd28447fc8ef62fbc963accd301557fd9ac20
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...5498#post955498

It would make sense: it seems random because ASLR moves the stack around, and it only crashes when the stack is butting up against the end of the virtual address space. Turning off ASLR seems to fix it entirely.

I know if I buy an I7 this poo poo will be fixed the next day, ugh. It's why I'm not happy about buying right now, but I don't really have a choice (onboarding another dev).

I'll take this to the AMD thread for any more technical discussion.

What would the E3 system look like? And is there any problem with the RX-460? It's apparently no good for butt-mines so you can buy it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Harik posted:

It does sound like you can't use Ryzen for... well I guess anything serious right now. If you can cause random errors when doing compilation you don't know what kind of corruption happens in string-heavy computation.

I didn't want to say it because then I get bagged on for hating AMD but yeah if it's segfaulting in compilation something's not working right, how sure are you your output binaries didn't get screwed during this process? There is no call to be using bleeding-edge hardware in the delivery portion of the toolchain when that's obviously problematic for this processor. Embedded hardware is difficult enough to debug as it is, you don't want mystery bugs from compilation because you're the first person to try using some random-rear end embedded cross-compiler. A lot of that poo poo is obscure and terrible enough already as it is.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 23, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

I didn't want to say it because then I get bagged on for hating AMD but yeah if it's segfaulting in compilation something's not working right, how sure are you your output binaries didn't get screwed during this process? There is no call to be using bleeding-edge hardware in the delivery portion of the toolchain when that's obviously problematic for this processor. Embedded hardware is difficult enough to debug as it is, you don't want mystery bugs from compilation because you're the first person to try using some random-rear end embedded cross-compiler. A lot of that poo poo is obscure and terrible enough already as it is.

Hah! There's reasons deliverables happen on a non-overclocked server with ECC ram. That's one of them, the other being "gently caress whatever random library/compiler versions are on a dev's workstation when he builds."

Reproducibility is great.

Does the Kabylake i7-7700 non-k have the same thermal issues the unlocked version does?

I'm thinking that + Asrock B250M Pro4 since I have zero interest in overclocking at work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Harik posted:

Hah! There's reasons deliverables happen on a non-overclocked server with ECC ram. That's one of them, the other being "gently caress whatever random library/compiler versions are on a dev's workstation when he builds."

Reproducibility is great.

Does the Kabylake i7-7700 non-k have the same thermal issues the unlocked version does?

I'm thinking that + Asrock B250M Pro4 since I have zero interest in overclocking at work.

Even if you end up not overclocking the 7700K, the non-K 7700 has a base frequency of 3.6Ghz with a 4.2Ghz "Turbo Mode," and the 7700K is 4.2Ghz base and 4.5Ghz TM, so you're losing clock speed, but the non-K will definitely have better thermals. Listed TDP on the 7700K is 91W to the 7700's 65.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

A Bag of Milk posted:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.00 @ Shopping Express)
You could also look into getting the G4650 processor. Similar performance as the i3-6100 with newer architecture and chipset for just 70 bucks.

I'm not entirely eager on using AMD again, I've had some pretty bad experience with their stuff in the past. Also, hearing that Ryzen could be problematic with GCC is concerning as well since I've been spending a good deal of time learning programming.

Sorry to bug you, but do you have any alternate CPU/Motherboard suggestions? I also mess around with emulation a fair bit, so I'd like a decent CPU.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

I'm not entirely eager on using AMD again, I've had some pretty bad experience with their stuff in the past. Also, hearing that Ryzen could be problematic with GCC is concerning as well since I've been spending a good deal of time learning programming.

Sorry to bug you, but do you have any alternate CPU/Motherboard suggestions? I also mess around with emulation a fair bit, so I'd like a decent CPU.

The Pentium G4560, as I mentioned in that post, is a very competent processor considering the price. There's also the i5-7500, but it's hard to recommend for an eye-watering $200 more than the Pentium. You mentioned emulation, and the G4560 will be enough to handle something like Dolphin just fine. Pair either with an H270 motherboard, like this ASRock: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/93jWGX/asrock-h270m-pro4-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h270m-pro4

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I built my PC back in 2012 and, by and large, it has served me well. Although I don't play a lot, some of the games I'm interested in playing (like the new Resident Evil, Styx 2, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc.) are too much for my machine. Additionally, I'm doing more and more video editing, and it can be pretty slow sometimes, particularly because I sometimes handle 4K video.

This is my current setup:
Graphics card: ASUS AMD EAH6850
CPU: Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1155 Quad-core
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE
8GB Ram DD3

Also an SSD HD, normal HDDs, etc.

Do I need to do a general change of parts, or can I get a significant improvement swapping, for example, just the CPU or the graphics card?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

You could certainly benefit from upgrading just your video card, and getting 8GB more RAM would help as well. The processor is still very competitive and imo not worth upgrading yet along with the motherboard. The GTX 1050Ti would be a great upgrade if your monitor isn't more than 1080p, or the GTX 1080 for 1440p. It might be the worst market for buying video cards ever right now though, honestly not too many other options.