Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

SLI just won't be worth it until things like Vulkan or its eventual successors become more widely adopted/standardized.

Even then, Vulkan and DX12 do nothing to help mGPU setups unless the engine developers go out of their way to design around mGPU. Which is rarely going to happen since engine tech is almost entirely driven by the consoles requirements, with anything PC-exclusive as an afterthought.

IMO the only thing that can save mGPU at this point is ultra-fast interconnects (NVLink/Infinity Fabric) trickling down to consumer hardware and possibly making implicit mGPU viable again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
I'm planning to get my wife a mid level gaming desktop, doesn't have to be anything special. Any recommendations on a prebuilt system? Or a part list someone else has already come up with. I do have a Microcenter about 3 hours away if there is a deal worth traveling for, its what I did with my laptop.

For example, I'm running a MSI laptop with a i7-6700HQ and a 1070 and I think it would be overkill for her. She likes to play things like Civ6 on high settings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kjermzs posted:

I'm planning to get my wife a mid level gaming desktop, doesn't have to be anything special. Any recommendations on a prebuilt system? Or a part list someone else has already come up with. I do have a Microcenter about 3 hours away if there is a deal worth traveling for, its what I did with my laptop.

For example, I'm running a MSI laptop with a i7-6700HQ and a 1070 and I think it would be overkill for her. She likes to play things like Civ6 on high settings.

Micro Center's website appears to be hosed sideways at the moment, but they sell a pre-built "PowerSpec" PC with an B250/i5-7500 and 6GB 1060 for $799, or a Z270/7600K + 1070 for $999 which is basically the thread standard for a "I'm not really keen on building something, halp" suggestion. When their website comes back up again, more often than not they'll ship their prebuilts to you, and even if the option isn't there, it will be within the week.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Appreciate the help deciding on boxes for work, I bought 3 and all the parts should be here Wednesday.

Home question: What's a good UPS brand nowadays? I can either buy one or grab an older APC shell and replace the batteries.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Harik posted:

Appreciate the help deciding on boxes for work, I bought 3 and all the parts should be here Wednesday.

Home question: What's a good UPS brand nowadays? I can either buy one or grab an older APC shell and replace the batteries.

Cyberpower, Tripp Lite and APC are all alright. Definitely get a pure sinewave model if you buy one. They cost a little more but are more compatible with modern computer power supplies.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Micro Center's website appears to be hosed sideways at the moment, but they sell a pre-built "PowerSpec" PC with an B250/i5-7500 and 6GB 1060 for $799, or a Z270/7600K + 1070 for $999 which is basically the thread standard for a "I'm not really keen on building something, halp" suggestion. When their website comes back up again, more often than not they'll ship their prebuilts to you, and even if the option isn't there, it will be within the week.

Thanks! Their website is still hosed but I'll check it out. I beleive you helped my out with my laptop purchase as well.

Is there significant savings to be had in building the PC on my own? I'm perfectly capable of doing so but will take the lazy route if the price is about the same.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kjermzs posted:

Thanks! Their website is still hosed but I'll check it out. I beleive you helped my out with my laptop purchase as well.

Is there significant savings to be had in building the PC on my own? I'm perfectly capable of doing so but will take the lazy route if the price is about the same.

Right now? No. Buttcoiners have spiralled GPU prices into the goddamned stratosphere, and while it's certainly possible to get a 1060 now for MSRP, you pretty much have to get lucky or stab someone who's camping out in your local electronics store since he's got Skippy the Stock Boy on his payroll. Also, RAM prices are at a high-water mark at the moment, and the DRAM producers seem to be enjoying the spoils of that, so prices aren't set to go down until sometime in 2018. Lastly, Intel's panic at AMD finally putting out something that in its second revision could prove to be something that's a credible threat to them means we're going to see consumer-focused six-core processors sooner rather than later, but this means the Z270 board will be the singlemost short-lived, least-upgradable chipset platform I think Intel's ever put out, unless the rumor is true that Coffee Lake will use Z370 and Cannonlake will use Z390.

But since a picture tells the story better than :words:, here's why it's really hard to put together a custom system right now:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 27, 2017

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Right now? No. Buttcoiners have spiralled GPU prices into the goddamned stratosphere, and while it's certainly possible to get a 1060 now for MSRP, you pretty much have to get lucky or stab someone who's camping out in your local electronics store since he's got Skippy the Stock Boy on his payroll. Also, RAM prices are at a high-water mark at the moment, and the DRAM producers seem to be enjoying the spoils of that, so prices aren't set to go down until sometime in 2018. Lastly, Intel's panic at AMD finally putting out something that in its second revision could prove to be something that's a credible threat to them means we're going to see consumer-focused six-core processors sooner rather than later, but this means the Z270 board will be the singlemost short-lived, least-upgradable chipset platform I think Intel's ever put out, unless the rumor is true that Coffee Lake will use Z370 and Cannonlake will use Z390.

But since a picture tells the story better than :words:, here's why it's really hard to put together a custom system right now:

:eyepop:

Is it just 1060s/1070s that are being hoarded, or 1080Tis too? I'm thinking of upgrading my system later this year.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

:eyepop:

Is it just 1060s/1070s that are being hoarded, or 1080Tis too? I'm thinking of upgrading my system later this year.

1060s and 1070s are being bought in droves because even though AMD x70/x80 cards are the best yield/dollar out there at the moment, 1060s and 1070s perform perfectly well at that task also. The reason 1080s and 1080Tis aren't being similarly snatched up for mining is that no current mining algorithm uses GDDR5X correctly, making cards that use said memory too inefficient for mining for what they cost. However, since they're the only graphics cards which AREN'T being snatched up like candy bars in a Willy Wonka movie, their prices are going up anyway because they're kind of the only viable game in town unless you're quick on the "place order" button or have a friend who works in retail who can hide one back in the stockroom for you.

I somehow doubt the buttmining craze will last that long, but Volta cards using GDDR5X and GDDR6 might *hopefully* prevent a run on them at launch.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I would like some advice about upgrading my GPU. I have a GeForce GTX 750Ti and yesterday I had my screen turn weird looking and the computer freeze. When this happened about three years ago my GPU died soon after and this looks it might be happening again.

What country are you in? -Finland
What are you using the system for? -Gaming, some home office stuff.
What's your budget? -At most 250€
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 190X1080, I think.

I am thinking of buying an entirely new machine around December, but if the GPU goes down in a few weeks time I will need to replace it before that.
Other specs: i7 3770k processor, 8GB memory, Samsung 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD.

The actual question is that would a GeForce 1050Ti be a reasonable replacement? Other than the GPU and the SSD the parts are about 6 years old right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The 1050Ti roughly performs on par with a 960 without requiring supplemental power, so yes, it'd be a nice boost over a 750Ti. You might want to check that it's not the actual video cable first, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 27, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So I bought a hyper 212 turbo that the coolermaster site says works with am4 out if the box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsWaSHyTA8

Did I get jipped? Am I supposed to force it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

underage at the vape shop posted:

So I bought a hyper 212 turbo that the coolermaster site says works with am4 out if the box

http://www.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/

Only one SKU of the 212 shows out-of-the-box compatibility.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 27, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The one I bought is the first one pictured under air cooling

It says on the front and back of the box it supports am4 too

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The one I bought is the first one pictured under air cooling

Ah, for some reason I saw "turbo" as EVO. =/

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ah, for some reason I saw "turbo" as EVO. =/

So what do I do?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I just looked to see if there was a Youtube installation video for the LED 212 and couldn't find one.

Maybe you got an older revision of the HSF: http://coolermaster.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Hyper-212-LED-AMD-AM4-Compatibility

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Which would mean they put an old version in a new ones box. No physical stores near me sell the bracket so I have to wait for it to be delivered

What a boner kill

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The older versions don't have the two slits that yours has, so you have the newer model compatible with AM4.

The latch you're having issues with doesn't seem to be fully set in the heat sink. It's sitting up at an angle unlike the other side. Try re-fitting it and see if you can get it to lay flat.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Actuarial Fables posted:

The older versions don't have the two slits that yours has, so you have the newer model compatible with AM4.

The latch you're having issues with doesn't seem to be fully set in the heat sink. It's sitting up at an angle unlike the other side. Try re-fitting it and see if you can get it to lay flat.

It's sitting up because the other side is attached. If I take 1 side off, the other is too short to reach. Looks like just the bracket is wrong then.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 27, 2017

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 1050Ti roughly performs on par with a 960 without requiring supplemental power, so yes, it'd be a nice boost over a 750Ti. You might want to check that it's not the actual video cable first, though.

Thanks for the advice. Would a Radeon card be a reasonable replacement also? The last time I owned one was somewhere around 2007. Also, what would indicate that there was a problem with the cable? Blatant wear and tear or is there something I should keep an eye out for?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks for the advice. Would a Radeon card be a reasonable replacement also? The last time I owned one was somewhere around 2007. Also, what would indicate that there was a problem with the cable? Blatant wear and tear or is there something I should keep an eye out for?

Provided you can find one, sure. As for the cable, every time in the past few years when I've had my monitor display weirdly, unplugging and replugging the Displayport cable has fixed it, until it doesn't anymore, at which point I've replaced the cable entirely and it works again. I've gotten into the habit when a friend uses Displayport to tell them to constantly keep a spare cable handy, because they aren't readily available locally, and if they are, the stores charge a small fortune for them. Displayport cables tend to be hardier than HDMI cables, but I've never had a digital video cable *not* fail eventually - HDMI cables are particularly susceptible to failure even sooner than DP cables.

It's also way cheaper to diagnose a potentially bad cable (which can produce 'symptoms' of a bad monitor or video card since it's an inferior and fallible interconnect) than to replace a monitor or video card that might not be broken or worse, is off-warranty.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

The cooler isn't centered on the CPU. Shift it towards the PCI slots a bit so that the cross piece on the arm is between the two taller fins.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

eszett engma posted:

The cooler isn't centered on the CPU. Shift it towards the PCI slots a bit so that the cross piece on the arm is between the two taller fins.

Yeah I'll get it more centered. Apparently it is supposed to need a shittone of force.

It was off center there because I had the bracket out before I started recording and put it back in 1 handed.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
OK, server-building question:

I'm moving from a one bedroom apartment to a townhouse that has gigabit FIOS available and is wired for gigabit ethernet. I figure now is as good a time as any to put together a file/gaming server. Right now I've got my old Z68 (with 6970) powering a combined media server/HTPC/low powered gaming rig, and I want to separate out the server part.

It would seem to me that this refurbished workstation (http://www.servermonkey.com/workstations/refurbished-dell-workstations/dell-precision-t7400.html) would do the trick in spades, and for only about 550$ (I'd be moving my hard drives over, so don't need new ones). Seems like it would be stupidly overpowered for what I wanted, which is kind of awesome. Is this a sound plan? Is there a better way to do this for as much/less money?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gyrotica posted:

OK, server-building question:

I'm moving from a one bedroom apartment to a townhouse that has gigabit FIOS available and is wired for gigabit ethernet. I figure now is as good a time as any to put together a file/gaming server. Right now I've got my old Z68 (with 6970) powering a combined media server/HTPC/low powered gaming rig, and I want to separate out the server part.

It would seem to me that this refurbished workstation (http://www.servermonkey.com/workstations/refurbished-dell-workstations/dell-precision-t7400.html) would do the trick in spades, and for only about 550$ (I'd be moving my hard drives over, so don't need new ones). Seems like it would be stupidly overpowered for what I wanted, which is kind of awesome. Is this a sound plan? Is there a better way to do this for as much/less money?

Well, how many drives do you want in it? If it's not urgent and 4 drives total is enough, watch for deals on this: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/poweredge-t30

It's dropped down to $179 for the base config repeatedly. Old servers / workstations are fine, but they tend to be loud, hot, and bulky. Depending on what you're planning to do, you might do better with a super-cheap self build or something like I've done, which is run an Intel NUC as a server for the last couple years. Tiny, low power usage, quiet, but a giant rats nest of cables and ugliness because I'm hanging external drives off of it for the ultimate poor-mans experience.

If you're looking to build one yourself, I'd check out a Pentium G4560 and mobo with 6+ SATA ports. Those giant old workstations don't look like a great deal.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 27, 2017

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, how many drives do you want in it? If it's not urgent and 4 drives total is enough, watch for deals on this: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/poweredge-t30

It's dropped down to $179 for the base config repeatedly. Old servers / workstations are fine, but they tend to be loud, hot, and bulky. Depending on what you're planning to do, you might do better with a super-cheap self build or something like I've done, which is run an Intel NUC as a server for the last couple years. Tiny, low power usage, quiet, but a giant rats nest of cables and ugliness because I'm hanging external drives off of it for the ultimate poor-mans experience.

Not urgent and 4 drives is indeed enough. I was afraid it might turn out to be hot and loud, which are non-desirable traits. That might be unavoidable though, given that I'm looking for cheap but (relatively) powerful. I can also roll my own pretty easily, so I suppose I should also just look for boards. Surely there's a sweet spot for cheap, relatively powerful but not crazy hot/loud.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I delayed buying a 1060 card a month ago and now I've just accepted that I'm not going to be upgrading anytime soon. At least at next summer's Steam sale maybe I will be able to get the more resource-intensive games for a little cheaper!

I wonder if I will have an easier time getting the newly announced SNES mini :pray:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Non Serviam posted:

I built my PC back in 2012 and, by and large, it has served me well. Although I don't play a lot, some of the games I'm interested in playing (like the new Resident Evil, Styx 2, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc.) are too much for my machine. Additionally, I'm doing more and more video editing, and it can be pretty slow sometimes, particularly because I sometimes handle 4K video.

This is my current setup:
Graphics card: ASUS AMD EAH6850
CPU: Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1155 Quad-core
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE
8GB Ram DD3

Also an SSD HD, normal HDDs, etc.

Do I need to do a general change of parts, or can I get a significant improvement swapping, for example, just the CPU or the graphics card?

Thanks!

Although A Bag of Milk already provided the following, very useful, advice :

A Bag Of Milk posted:

The GTX 1050Ti would be a great upgrade if your monitor isn't more than 1080p, or the GTX 1080 for 1440p. It might be the worst market for buying video cards ever right now though, honestly not too many other options. 

I'd like to get a second opinion before going down this road.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!☺️

Fake edit : I don't doubt the accuracy of the answer I got, it's just that since I'm kind of at a loss here, I'd like to be sure I'm not screwing up.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I've never bought a prebuilt PC before, but through work they're offering what seems like an insane deal and I'm in need of a new desktop PC at home.

Mostly would use this for web browsing, some VMs, and a little gaming.

Would I be better off building a PC or getting this? This seems much cheaper than what I've been pricing out recently. The case is ugly, but I don't really care a ton about that.

It's $839 for a Lenovo Y710. I'd most likely pair this with a 27" 1440p monitor or possibly a 34" UW.

Specs:

Processor
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (3.40GHz 8MB)

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64

Memory
16.0GB DDR4 UDIMM 2133 MHz

Motherboard
Intel® H170

Hard Drive
1TB 7200 RPM + 128GB SSD

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Paul MaudDib posted:

I can't understand this. If you have a NIB Hyper 212 Evo then yes, you have whatever you need for the i5. Every cooler comes with its own mounting system and you don't need to re-use any parts from the stock cooler if that's what you're asking.

AMD/LGA2011 style coolers sometimes use a bar with a lever that clamps it down. LGA1150/51/etc often have an X-shaped gizmo that you screw down onto a backplate.

i have an amd motherboard sitting in a closet with a hyper 212 on it, and i likely long ago threw away any parts that came with it. if i buy an i5 i will want to use something that isn't the stock cooler, so i can just move it over to my current motherboard, right? there aren't any intel board specific pieces that came with the cooler that i might no longer have, since it has a scissor mount and a dual purpose backplate?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blinky2099 posted:

I stream overwatch and play at 144 hz. I drop frames under 144 fps (like 80-144 depending) while streaming despite reasonable stream settings. Any ideas for what I need to upgrade? I'm fine playing overwatch and other games on low, just looking for framerate + stream.

Video Card
: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+
Motherboard: ASRock - Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151

I spent $1k on this build 15 months ago and it's still a $1k build =O

edit: if I simply need to check if I'm CPU limited or GPU limited while playing I'll do that today. I know I'm hitting peak 100% CPU usage but not sure if that's the framerate issue or not

Following up on this; I'm still getting ~120fps fairly often, and dipping below 100 sometimes.

Anyone have any opinions on what I should be looking to upgrade, or my strategy to figure out how big of an upgrade I need to make?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

nigga crab pollock posted:

i have an amd motherboard sitting in a closet with a hyper 212 on it, and i likely long ago threw away any parts that came with it. if i buy an i5 i will want to use something that isn't the stock cooler, so i can just move it over to my current motherboard, right? there aren't any intel board specific pieces that came with the cooler that i might no longer have, since it has a scissor mount and a dual purpose backplate?

I believe that scissor mount and dual backplate works with 115X, yes. I'm pretty sure I used that same old scissor version for a rig I needed to test run before I put a waterblock on it.

The new ones have much easier mounting setups though and are drat near worth purchasing just to avoid that stupid scissor mount! My local microcenter had the LED version on sale for like $22 so I nabbed one.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ddogflex posted:

I've never bought a prebuilt PC before, but through work they're offering what seems like an insane deal and I'm in need of a new desktop PC at home.

Would I be better off building a PC or getting this? This seems much cheaper than what I've been pricing out recently. The case is ugly, but I don't really care a ton about that.

It's $839 for a Lenovo Y710. I'd most likely pair this with a 27" 1440p monitor or possibly a 34" UW.

Specs:

Processor

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64

Memory

Motherboard
Intel® H170

Hard Drive
1TB 7200 RPM + 128GB SSD

Graphics

This is not great value; the oft-posted Microcentre machine (their site is down) is $999 and is very significantly better.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

ddogflex posted:

Specs:

Processor

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64

Memory

Motherboard
Intel® H170

Hard Drive
1TB 7200 RPM + 128GB SSD

Graphics

It looks like you would be getting $60 off Lenovo's current online sale price for that particular model.
Comparing it to the models listed here: http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/y700/IdeaCentre-Y710-Cube/p/99IC9Y10247

The microcenter prebuilt is $999 and has better parts for a better price. Here's the link to it, but their site is down at the moment, hopefully it will be back up tomorrow: http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I don't actually have a Microcenter local to me so it's a no-go anyway.

Also, after thinking about this for a couple hours, I'm going to just build a Ryzen rig. I've wanted to anyway. gently caress it. :homebrew:

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

It's an online deal too, you can order them and have it shipped to you.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Oh, didn't realize they sold stuff online at all. But yeah, talked myself out of pre-built period. I've never done it before and I'd rather know all the parts I'm getting. The Ryzens look better for VMs anyway (I have an i7-970 current, so I'm use to having at least 6 cores) and I really was lying to myself saying I wouldn't care about the case.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Microcenter sells Ryzen prebuilts now. Only two, I think. If only their site was up.

EDIT: it's back up and they do sell two - one with a 1700 for $1149 and another with a 1700X for $1299, both with 1070s and 16GB.

The weird thing is both only use DDR4-2133. They must be taking the RAM compatibility thing way too seriously. The 1700X does use an X370 board, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

ddogflex posted:

Oh, didn't realize they sold stuff online at all. But yeah, talked myself out of pre-built period. I've never done it before and I'd rather know all the parts I'm getting. The Ryzens look better for VMs anyway (I have an i7-970 current, so I'm use to having at least 6 cores) and I really was lying to myself saying I wouldn't care about the case.

Isn't there a bug with ryzen and VMs?