Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Did you connect the 8-pin or whatever secondary power connection usually at the top of the motherboard in addition to the 24 pin?
Yup! There's a video output in the motherboard itself, not sure if it can function without a video card (its a 2600X, so no integrated graphics), but the motherboard's video output also produces nothing.

yeah I did, no dice. Also: no beep.
vvvvv

crime weed fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

crime weed posted:

So I built a computer, tried to boot it up. Cpu/case/video card fans run, motherboard glows, hard drives make noise, but:

No video output, the fancy LEDs on my mouse + keyboard don't turn on. It'll keep running, but just, no output, and I can't tell if it's detecting my USB devices.

So what are the possibilities here? The video card is old, and truthfully, I haven't used it in maybe half a year, so I guess it might just be busted. Any other possibilities?

(It's an AMD build w/ a Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 motherboard and a Sapphire 270, 650W Power Supply. I checked that all the cables were secure and that the monitor itself worked ahead of time.)

If you haven't tried it yet, cycle through the inputs on the monitor just to make sure it's not on the wrong input. Do you hear a POST beep when you start it up? You might also want to check your motherboard manual to see if there are any error leds that could help with trouble shooting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Try re-seating the RAM. Sometimes when you *think* it's seated, it's not seated enough.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try re-seating the RAM. Sometimes when you *think* it's seated, it's not seated enough.
Yeah, I did. I'm scouring the AB350M manual for debugging LEDs, but no luck. There's this angry red, continuous LED bar, but I'm pretty sure that's a Gamer Bar for Gamers. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that my video card is busted & I goofed up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
PM sent my man! I really hope you take this thing off my hands!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Did you use your gpu or motherboard port for video? I only ask because I've committed this shameful error before

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

stump collector posted:

Did you use your gpu or motherboard port for video? I only ask because I've committed this shameful error before

What a shameful display! bad puns are bad

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

My plex server needs 400w or less but has a stonking great 1000w gaming psu from 7 or so years ago when my radeon needed it.

What is the most cheapest, easily available and deadly silent psu I can get? Needs cables for 6 hdds, modular or otherwise.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chop Sunni posted:

My plex server needs 400w or less but has a stonking great 1000w gaming psu from 7 or so years ago when my radeon needed it.

What is the most cheapest, easily available and deadly silent psu I can get? Needs cables for 6 hdds, modular or otherwise.

https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold 650W

Fanless up to 200W, 8 SATA plugs and 10 year warranty

Palladium fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 21, 2018

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
What are some good, inexpensive 120mm fans nowadays and what are some good, expensive as gently caress 120mm fans nowadays?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Psyker posted:

What are some good, inexpensive 120mm fans nowadays and what are some good, expensive as gently caress 120mm fans nowadays?

Inexpensive but decent (I've used three or four boxes of these, they're 4 packs):
https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Bearing-Computer-Radiators/dp/B000O8I474/

Expensive:
https://smile.amazon.com/Bearing-NF-F12-iPPC-2000-PWM/dp/B00KFCR5BA/

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

Are those Noctua’s comparable to Corsair ML’s?

Tl;dr, got an absolutely absurd deal on a prebuilt (open box Best Buy on it’s second markdown) and the only real drawbacks are it having a poor SSD (WD green), ddr4-2666 cas 15, and the only airflow in the incredibly spacious case is a Corsair H100i blowing out, the PSU blowing in, and one bottom-mount fan.

I haven’t noticed any actual cooling issues yet but there’s plenty of mounts for fans with a PWM splitter being used, so likely mounting 3x120 on the front panel for intakes and potentially 1x120 on the top panel for a second exhaust. Otherwise swapping the SSD for an 850 evo that I have, and swapping the PSU for my nearly-new EVGA G2 750. I figure when I sell off my ancient components I’ll have net this PC for around $1000 (I paid $1400) and it’s an i7-8700k on a solid Asrock board with sufficient RAM being pushed by an ASUS 1080 turbo.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Psyker posted:

Are those Noctua’s comparable to Corsair ML’s?

Tl;dr, got an absolutely absurd deal on a prebuilt (open box Best Buy on it’s second markdown) and the only real drawbacks are it having a poor SSD (WD green), ddr4-2666 cas 15, and the only airflow in the incredibly spacious case is a Corsair H100i blowing out, the PSU blowing in, and one bottom-mount fan.

I haven’t noticed any actual cooling issues yet but there’s plenty of mounts for fans with a PWM splitter being used, so likely mounting 3x120 on the front panel for intakes and potentially 1x120 on the top panel for a second exhaust. Otherwise swapping the SSD for an 850 evo that I have, and swapping the PSU for my nearly-new EVGA G2 750. I figure when I sell off my ancient components I’ll have net this PC for around $1000 (I paid $1400) and it’s an i7-8700k on a solid Asrock board with sufficient RAM being pushed by an ASUS 1080 turbo.

Yeah they're comparable. The ones I linked are 2000rpm default so if you're putting in a lot of them you might go with slower ones to be quieter (but with a lot of them your airflow will still be decent). SSO is self stabilizing oil bearing, while ML is magnetic levitation bearing. ML is new and very fancy but I've heard that some folks have had problems with them over time. I'd still try them out. Sleeve bearings only get noisy after like 5+ years anyway so I'd imagine any other better bearing will last longer, even standard ball bearing. If I was buying fans for quietness and quality I'd look at whatever brands rate the best from cooler master, noctua, be quiet, corsair, etc and then shop by rpm/airflow and price, really.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Palladium posted:

https://seasonic.com/focus-plus-gold 650W

Fanless up to 200W, 8 SATA plugs and 10 year warranty

Looks good, thank you!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a 5820K, been looking at the prices of upgrades on eBay. Let's say I could get a 5960X for $400 or a 6950X for $700 (6950X prices aren't quite there yet but getting close). Let's also say there's an 8% ebay bucks promo running, I buy enough stuff on eBay that that's as good as cash to me. So prices would effectively be $368 and $644.

I can probably sell my 5820K for at least $200, so the incremental cost would be $168 for an extra 2C or $444 for an extra 4C. I'm primarily gaming (144 Hz) with a side of video encoding. Worth it, or hold out for 8C Coffee Lake?

Advantages:
  • Big jump in cache - from 15MB L3 to 20/25MB (games tend to love big caches)
  • 40 PCIe lanes
  • Higher core count, nice for encoding/etc
  • Quad-channel RAM

Disadvantages:
  • Lower clocks (say 4.2 GHz on BW-E or 4.4 on HW-E vs 4.8-5 on CFL)
  • Slightly lower IPC
  • Power consumption (don't really care)
  • Coffee Lake would have iGPU

Waiting for 7nm Ryzen is another possibility here as well. Ryzen 2000 is a fine enough product but it's not any faster, I am already heavily bought into X99 for other PCs as well, and I'm willing to shell out the extra $70 per processor for the other advantages of X99.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 22, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chop Sunni posted:

Seasonic sells the Prime Snow Silent line. They're not passive, but even though the 550W isn't 80 PLUS Titanium or Platinum like the 750W and 650W respectively, they all carry a twelve year warranty as opposed to the Focus Plus' 10 years. That being said, most newer PSUs nowadays have the ability/provision to stop the fan if/when it's not needed.

I've never liked passive PSUs. People think they require no airflow, when in truth, a passive PSU is designed to work under extreme duress while still having *passive* airflow travel through its vents from within the case.

None of the Snow Silent line are *cheap*, though. The 550W is ~$110. As opposed to $54.99 after rebate for the normal Focus Plus: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189

Here's an image concerning the 850W model that shows what to possibly expect at ~400W. I'm not sure how the load/noise would scale in the 550W unit vs. the 850W unit, but it does illustrate that the PSU will dynamically change fan speeds:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 22, 2018

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have a 5820K, been looking at the prices of upgrades on eBay. Let's say I could get a 5960X for $400 or a 6950X for $700 (6950X prices aren't quite there yet but getting close). Let's also say there's an 8% ebay bucks promo running, I buy enough stuff on eBay that that's as good as cash to me. So prices would effectively be $368 and $644.

I can probably sell my 5820K for at least $200, so the incremental cost would be $168 for an extra 2C or $444 for an extra 4C. I'm primarily gaming (144 Hz) with a side of video encoding. Worth it, or hold out for 8C Coffee Lake?

Advantages:
  • Big jump in cache - from 15MB L3 to 20/25MB (games tend to love big caches)
  • 40 PCIe lanes
  • Higher core count, nice for encoding/etc
  • Quad-channel RAM

Disadvantages:
  • Lower clocks (say 4.2 GHz on BW-E or 4.4 on HW-E vs 4.8-5 on CFL)
  • Slightly lower IPC
  • Power consumption (don't really care)
  • Coffee Lake would have iGPU

Waiting for 7nm Ryzen is another possibility here as well. Ryzen 2000 is a fine enough product but it's not any faster, I am already heavily bought into X99 for other PCs as well, and I'm willing to shell out the extra $70 per processor for the other advantages of X99.

I think I'd hold out if I were in your position. A small part of me is kicking myself for upgrading when I did (I was on a 2500k), but I had a buddy who I wanted to help out by passing down my old system. The 390 platform'll be more mature and not the rushjob that most of the 370's boards were.

Ryzen 2000 doesn't really add much in regards to speed, however it is much more power-efficient than the first Ryzen. That said, it's essentially a refresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2yatfyLoo

Edit: Here's an article that accompanies the video: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3287-amd-r7-2700-and-2700x-review-game-streaming-cpu-benchmarks-memory

The differences in voltages and the resulting temps are substantial.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 22, 2018

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ghostpilot posted:

That said, it's essentially a refresh.

That was fully expected though, it's not Zen 2.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the best-binned dies on Threadripper 2. If they don't consistently get 4.5GHz out of the absolute best dies, then I'll be waiting for Zen 2 before considering an upgrade.

It looks pretty unlikely that they will, unfortunately; that voltage/frequency curve just becomes really steep.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 22, 2018

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've never liked passive PSUs. People think they require no airflow, when in truth, a passive PSU is designed to work under extreme duress while still having *passive* airflow travel through its vents from within the case.

Yup, I've had good results with the Seasonic 400W fanless but I also made a point of setting up all the fans on that system as intakes to ensure that it would get a good rate of exhaust airflow. Wouldn't recommend just slapping it into an existing system without examining how much airflow it gets during normal use.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks for the Prime Snow Silent suggestion too, might be a little more than I want to spend (and I don't think openly available in the UK yet) but will keep the passive/active fan stuff in mind.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any big sales coming up in the US any time soon? Just Labor Day? I want to pick up a new hard drive for my wife’s dead laptop so I can sell it for a few hundred.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any big sales coming up in the US any time soon? Just Labor Day? I want to pick up a new hard drive for my wife’s dead laptop so I can sell it for a few hundred.

Your laptop will depreciate faster than the savings to be had. If you're putting in a HDD they're cheap enough there's no point in waiting, and SSDs tend not to have great sales.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Memorial Day, 4th of July.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I can get a Crucial 250gb MX500 for $70, so that’s not too bad. There’s a supposedly new 850 evo for sale for $60 on Craigslist too, but I wouldn’t trust that unless I could plug it in, run Crystaldiskinfo, and make sure it’s actually new.

E: gently caress, got Memorial Day and Labor Day switched up because real countries have Labor Day in May.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Update:

The BIOS needed to be updated. Everything's working now! :toot:

crime weed fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 24, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ItBreathes posted:

Your laptop will depreciate faster than the savings to be had. If you're putting in a HDD they're cheap enough there's no point in waiting, and SSDs tend not to have great sales.

SSDs have been plummeting lately. You can pick up an ADATA 512 GB SSD for like $101 right now, and 2 TB Micron 1100s have been going for like $270-300 pretty frequently lately.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I hope this hasn't been discussed in the last few pages, but I'm thinking about putting together an HTPC/console emulation machine for my living room.

I'm not planning to emulate anything more advanced than N64 or PS1, and most of the stuff I'm interested is older stuff (SNES, NES, Pre-dreamcast sega systems, etc). My TV's only 32-inch so I don't need much in the way of resolution, 720p for the OS and streaming and whatever the max system settings of the emulated systems is (640x480 or something is probably as high as it needs to go for gaming).

I'm guessing that the most hardware intensive task is probably going to be playing netflix videos.

Ideally I'd like the price to be around $300; that's a pretty hard cap because I don't want to overspend compared to my fairly crappy TV and stereo.

My questions are thus:
Can I get away with Linux? I've heard that Netflix is compatible with firefox on linux now so that's $100 for an OEM windows license shaved off the cost.
Since my gaming needs are kinda primitive, can I use a platter instead of an SSD? I grew up on long load times and they don't bother me as long as they're shorter than say a minute and a half.
Can I get away with onboard video or should I pick up a low-end card too?

How does this list look: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKCmkd ?

Any tips on how to wring a little more performance out of this thing or drop the price would be welcome.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

In the past few years, I visited this thread to get some inputs on builds I made for other people but this time it's finally to upgrade my current computer purchased in June 2013.

My power supply lasted me for 2 computers, the Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case for a few, my internal fans are getting quite old and noisy so I'm leaning torward a bigger update than the holy trinity of CPU+Mobo+RAM.

Parts I'm keeping from my current build :
nVidia GTX 1070
Munchkin SSD : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226 Would you keep this SSD as an OS drive + some games or get a newer one like the Samsung 960 EVO because of performances?
Kingston SV300S37A 480gb SSD
1 or 2 standard 7200rpm 2tb hard drives.

This is what I'm looking at. I'm in Canada if it matters.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor I went with an overclockable i5 for my current build and I've been regretting it for a while when comparing to my friends who splurged on the i7 of the same serie
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler Shopping for a cpu cooler sucks. It's hard to gage from pictures. It's ugly as sin but it seems nice from what I can read. I'm open to suggestions
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard People around me had bad experiences with Gigabyte but the features vs price looks nice. The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero caught my eye but it's 300$+Cnd and feels quite overkill for a non hardcore overclocker.
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Can't really sell myself the need to go at higher speed because of the price vs diminishing returns I think
Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case I'm a sucker for full tower cases, this one looks sleek and the side window to show off some of the RGB (I'm getting corrupted by friends who love RGB) is nice. I liked what I read in reviews too.
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply An online calculator gave me 467w and I feel nervous with 600w so 750w sounds good to me if I want to add more hardware.
Case Fan: 4 x Noctua - NF-P12 PWM 120mm Fan Again, ugly as sin. Open to suggestions for quiet fans.

Usage : Heavy gamer, I like to put everything on Ultra at 1200p. I always multitask, run VMs, Bluestacks, etc... May upgrade monitor at some point with higher (120 or 144hz) so it's not like I'm wasting power here.

I'm looking for some inputs or have you guys spot a mistake if I made one.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I hope this hasn't been discussed in the last few pages, but I'm thinking about putting together an HTPC/console emulation machine for my living room.

I'm not planning to emulate anything more advanced than N64 or PS1, and most of the stuff I'm interested is older stuff (SNES, NES, Pre-dreamcast sega systems, etc). My TV's only 32-inch so I don't need much in the way of resolution, 720p for the OS and streaming and whatever the max system settings of the emulated systems is (640x480 or something is probably as high as it needs to go for gaming).

I'm guessing that the most hardware intensive task is probably going to be playing netflix videos.

Ideally I'd like the price to be around $300; that's a pretty hard cap because I don't want to overspend compared to my fairly crappy TV and stereo.

My questions are thus:
Can I get away with Linux? I've heard that Netflix is compatible with firefox on linux now so that's $100 for an OEM windows license shaved off the cost.
Since my gaming needs are kinda primitive, can I use a platter instead of an SSD? I grew up on long load times and they don't bother me as long as they're shorter than say a minute and a half.
Can I get away with onboard video or should I pick up a low-end card too?

How does this list look: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKCmkd ?

Any tips on how to wring a little more performance out of this thing or drop the price would be welcome.

For $200-$300 an NVidia shield tv will do streaming up to 4k (media, plus pc games if you have a gaming pc with an nvidia card) and can run emulators up through Dreamcast, all without the hassle of putting it together yourself.

The $200 version (Amazon) has 16GB of internal storage, but you can attach a usb hard or flash drive for more space. Apparently some users had issues with the Retroarch emulator and external drives, but it sounds like those were fixed with an update.

The $300 shield tv pro (Amazon) has an internal 500gb SSHD, a microSD slot, and a slightly nicer remote. Here's a list of differences if you want to decide if the upgrade is worth $100.

I haven't personally used a shield tv, so maybe someone with experience could chime in. Going by posted videos, emulation looks solid.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hemish posted:

In the past few years, I visited this thread to get some inputs on builds I made for other people but this time it's finally to upgrade my current computer purchased in June 2013.

My power supply lasted me for 2 computers, the Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case for a few, my internal fans are getting quite old and noisy so I'm leaning torward a bigger update than the holy trinity of CPU+Mobo+RAM.

Parts I'm keeping from my current build :
nVidia GTX 1070
Munchkin SSD : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226 Would you keep this SSD as an OS drive + some games or get a newer one like the Samsung 960 EVO because of performances?
Kingston SV300S37A 480gb SSD
1 or 2 standard 7200rpm 2tb hard drives.

This is what I'm looking at. I'm in Canada if it matters.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor I went with an overclockable i5 for my current build and I've been regretting it for a while when comparing to my friends who splurged on the i7 of the same serie
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler Shopping for a cpu cooler sucks. It's hard to gage from pictures. It's ugly as sin but it seems nice from what I can read. I'm open to suggestions
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard People around me had bad experiences with Gigabyte but the features vs price looks nice. The ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero caught my eye but it's 300$+Cnd and feels quite overkill for a non hardcore overclocker.
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Can't really sell myself the need to go at higher speed because of the price vs diminishing returns I think
Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case I'm a sucker for full tower cases, this one looks sleek and the side window to show off some of the RGB (I'm getting corrupted by friends who love RGB) is nice. I liked what I read in reviews too.
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply An online calculator gave me 467w and I feel nervous with 600w so 750w sounds good to me if I want to add more hardware.
Case Fan: 4 x Noctua - NF-P12 PWM 120mm Fan Again, ugly as sin. Open to suggestions for quiet fans.

Usage : Heavy gamer, I like to put everything on Ultra at 1200p. I always multitask, run VMs, Bluestacks, etc... May upgrade monitor at some point with higher (120 or 144hz) so it's not like I'm wasting power here.

I'm looking for some inputs or have you guys spot a mistake if I made one.

Thats a beefy PC alright. Only thoughts are that your SSD is probably fine, and that components keep getting more efficient over time, and that PSUs are less efficient when run significantly lower than their rated wattage, so 600w will likely do you no matter what you do with the machine in the future.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Stickman posted:

NVidia shield tv

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd want, thanks! I'll be ordering it soon.

Kinda sad though, because I was kinda looking forward to building a computer this year. :(

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You could also consider a Gemini Lake NUC if you'd prefer to have something more PC-like. Depending on SSD/RAM choices it could still come in well under $300.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ItBreathes posted:

Thats a beefy PC alright. Only thoughts are that your SSD is probably fine, and that components keep getting more efficient over time, and that PSUs are less efficient when run significantly lower than their rated wattage, so 600w will likely do you no matter what you do with the machine in the future.

He will be lucky to even hit 50% load on a 750W in a worst case scenario

Spidi
Dec 30, 2017
After 8 years of using PC my parents got me it's finally time to replace it! It's my first time building a PC from scratch so be gentle.

Link: PCPartPicker :signings:
I live in Poland and not everything is available here so I put only parts I can get here.

I'm going with gtx 1050 ti cause my friend sold me almost brand new one for cheapo.
PSU: 500W should be sufficient: SilentiumPC Vero L2 Bronze 500W
CPU Cooler: I was thinking about this cooler.

Tell me what you think about this build, I hope it's good.

Chumly
Dec 25, 2006
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web browsing, watching movies, and playing older, less graphically demanding games.
What's your budget? Between $600 and $700 or even a bit lower if possible.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080 or anything that's at least 20".

I'd prefer to game with higher settings, but I can live with medium settings. As long as there's no stuttering. I looked at some of the older games I'm interested in and I think the most graphically demanding would be GTA4, Skyrim, and the original Crysis, or games from the first half of this decade at most.

Here's what I've come up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($162.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($60.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $663.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-24 04:32 EDT-0400

The PSU seems a little overkill for that build, right?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Chumly posted:

What are you using the system for? Web browsing, watching movies, and playing older, less graphically demanding games.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080 or anything that's at least 20".

I'd prefer to game with higher settings, but I can live with medium settings. As long as there's no stuttering. I looked at some of the older games I'm interested in and I think the most graphically demanding would be GTA4, Skyrim, and the original Crysis, or games from the first half of this decade at most.

Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($60.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)

No, not really.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not really wanting to post in Haus of Tech Support, but I noticing my Nvidia 970 is crashing at random again in Overwatch. It stopped for a while, but honestly I don't care anymore and take this as a sign to just get a 1070 like I was thinking.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Chumly posted:

Buy this instead

https://slickdeals.net/f/11514259-l...e-pickup-costco

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:stare:

That’s a really good deal. Only problem is no SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
How does PNY graphics card warranty compare to EVGA? I got a 1060 6 GB from both and I’m leaning towards the EVGA because I’ve heard better things anecdotally.

Got both used on eBay for about 275. EVGA comes with a box while the PNY does not. Does anyone know if either companies uphold warranties even after 3rd party sales?