Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
put the new 1060 into my wifes computer and then it wouldnt boot. looked it over and tried again and welp 3 beeps and nada. looks like the motherboard died :negative:

Basically bought her a new version of the miniitx she had but if the motherboard had failed then everything else should be good still right? As long as the gpu and the hard drive are fine its all good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
So... it's been a while since I gave my PC any TLC. It's a 2013 vintage that's treated me very well, but I'd like to see what would be the best bang for the (least) buck. Current specs:

- Mobo: MSI Intel B85-G41
- Intel Core i5 i5-4570 3.20 GHz
- 250GB Samsung 840-series SSD
- ASUS GTX 660Ti
- 8GB 1600 Ghz DDR3.

I'm guessing it should be RAM first, then video card, then processor, but I'm open to wiser views.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe ram, definitely graphics card. Your processor isn't slow, but replacing it means RAM and motherboard as well. At that point you are going to want to get a new power supply and case and.... Well you know the deal. Not many games will complain about that CPU.

noctrine
Jan 3, 2008
Servant of Olofin
Yam Slacker
Build advice request—

Basics:
Use case: Gaming PC
Budget (not including display/peripherals): <$2000
Display will likely be 2560x1440 (Gsync).

I frequently host LAN parties and some of my friends don’t have gaming PCs or it is impractical for them to bring them. I would like to have an extra gaming PC for this purpose. I want my friends with nice machines to have a good experience.

I am intrigued by this build
https://tekeverything.com/8700k-1080-mini-itx-build/
because of the compact size, obviously, and the purported relative quietness of the case. Space is a factor but low noise is definitely a priority.

If I were to use that case and the tiny GTX 1080, what motherboard / CPU would you recommend? Is the mobo/CPU in this build overkill for a GTX 1080 based gaming machine? What about the i5 8600k?

I’m not interested in overclocking. I am very interested in reliability / warranty because I want to minimize time maintaining a secondary machine.

Still 8GB RAM for a build like this?
Thoughts on the PSU and CPU cooler?

How much of a performance boost can be expected for a dedicated SSD boot drive (eg 250 GB) and dedicated drive for the Steam blob versus just one drive? I presume there will be only one M.2 slot so the fancy NVME drive will be for games and if I get a second drive it would be just for the OS (Win 10).

Thank you much

Edited to add PCPartPicker link (the case, Lazer3D LZ7, is not listed):
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($238.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12S 55.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($181.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($85.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($399.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini ITX Video Card ($584.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Corsair)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1725.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-16 13:26 EDT-0400

noctrine fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 16, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

put the new 1060 into my wifes computer and then it wouldnt boot. looked it over and tried again and welp 3 beeps and nada. looks like the motherboard died :negative:

Basically bought her a new version of the miniitx she had but if the motherboard had failed then everything else should be good still right? As long as the gpu and the hard drive are fine its all good at least.

Try resetting the BIOS if you haven't already, one of my PCs for some reason won't post when I swap GPUs if I don't do that.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Recommendations for 140mm case fans? Would definitely prefer they not scream.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nur_Neerg posted:

Recommendations for 140mm case fans? Would definitely prefer they not scream.

PWM or three-pin? If the former, then Corsair ML140s. You can skip buying the Pros so long as you rig your own rubber vibration reducer - they also sell a two-pack of the regular ones for a not-horrible price.

Noctua was making noise about a new fan tech a while back as well.

Also, if you type in a fan model number into YouTube, there are invariably people who have noise reviews. I know for certain there are about four just for the ML140.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

PWM or three-pin? If the former, then Corsair ML140s. You can skip buying the Pros so long as you rig your own rubber vibration reducer - they also sell a two-pack of the regular ones for a not-horrible price.

Noctua was making noise about a new fan tech a while back as well.

Also, if you type in a fan model number into YouTube, there are invariably people who have noise reviews. I know for certain there are about four just for the ML140.

Noctua released the 120mm version of their new fan design (NF-A12x25), there were a bunch of reviews around two weeks ago and it's good. I'm assuming there will be a 140mm version soon-ish, but for now there's not. Their current stuff is good already, though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
If price isn't a concern consider Be Quiet's 140mm fans too, they're pretty competitive acoustically: http://thermalbench.com/2016/09/22/be-quiet-silent-wings-3-140-mm-fan/3/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Llamadeus posted:

If price isn't a concern consider Be Quiet's 140mm fans too, they're pretty competitive acoustically: http://thermalbench.com/2016/09/22/be-quiet-silent-wings-3-140-mm-fan/3/

Just don't be this idiot:

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/978751777884528640

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

orcane posted:

Noctua released the 120mm version of their new fan design (NF-A12x25), there were a bunch of reviews around two weeks ago and it's good. I'm assuming there will be a 140mm version soon-ish, but for now there's not. Their current stuff is good already, though.

Have there really been that many reviews of the new Noctua? I haven't see any about from the normal sources..

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

orcane posted:

It's amusing that Noctua spent all this time on the new fan when it's literally just a Gentle Typhoon clone. Nidec hit peak fan years ago and everyone is slowly giving up and just copying them. Bearings improvements aside of course, a maglev fan with the blade design of a GT would be incredible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

It's amusing that Noctua spent all this time on the new fan when it's literally just a Gentle Typhoon clone.

Literally? So the material is the same, and that development made no difference?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Literally? So the material is the same, and that development made no difference?

Higher build quality and the various small improvements (dimples and ribs) that Noctua brings will make a difference. So not "literally" in the proper sense, but they clearly copied as much of the design as possible. They didn't design a new fan from scratch or as an improvement on their current design, they just copied GTs and added their usual fixtures and listed them for $29.99.

I don't think they are bad fans, they are probably absolutely fantastic because they copied the best fan blade design and added nice bearings and rubber dampeners. But the whole artisan "four years spent developing an innovative design" spiel is horseshit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe the reviews were only on German websites.

HalloKitty posted:

Noctua says they look similar but aren't the same: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-interview-lars-stromback - grain of salt etc., but calling them a clone seems disingenuous. I mean, the concept is the same but I doubt Nidec or whoever made them were the inventors of swept back fan blades.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

orcane posted:

Noctua says they look similar but aren't the same: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-interview-lars-stromback - grain of salt etc., but calling them a clone seems disingenuous. I mean, the concept is the same but I doubt Nidec or whoever made them were the inventors of swept back fan blades.

Noctua posted:

Of all the fans that could be considered looking similar to the NF-A12x25, the Nidec Gentle Typhoon proved to be the hardest competition, but we’re confident that our design is slightly superior. In our tests on a typical 2 inch all-in-one water cooler at 200W heatload with both fans adjusted to the same noise level, the NF-A12x25 with the supplied radiator gasket provided about 0.3 to 0.6°C lower temperatures than the Nidec depending on the speed settings

Stunning.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

But the whole artisan "four years spent developing an innovative design" spiel is horseshit.

Yeah, there's no doubt there's a bunch of hype here; but it could be that they did the R&D and found that Nidec's design was the best, and all they could do was tweak it a bit.

0.3 to 0.6°C is a pretty paltry difference. I guess it just goes to show how well designed the Gentle Typhoons are.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Maybe ram, definitely graphics card. Your processor isn't slow, but replacing it means RAM and motherboard as well. At that point you are going to want to get a new power supply and case and.... Well you know the deal. Not many games will complain about that CPU.

I'd like to keep the upgrade incremental while I get it together for a full rebuild. Am I correct in thinking a GTX 1050 Ti would be compatible with my current components? It looks like the best reviewed card in the price range I have in mind.

I have a SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt PSU so I should have enough to run everything. Is ASUS still good with video cards?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2183vs3649 according to this real basic comparison it looks like it's barely even a side grade.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Man, I didn't know about that tool, thanks. That's fascinating.

OK, how can I research which cards will play nice with my current setup? I don't want to waste your time with silly questions.

EDIT: Disregard that, I found the options on that same page. So, is the GTX 1060 well thought of?

burnsep fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 16, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
They'll all work. What are you trying to play? Is it running poorly? What is your screen resolution and refresh rate? I think the basic recommendation will be to spend as much as you can afford on an nvidia card. Look at reviews for noise and size.

You could sell your old RAM for a few bucks and get a kit like this that'll double your space and perform a bit better as well.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cF7wrH/gskill-memory-f32133c10d16gxm

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 16, 2018

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
You know, that's probably a better question. I haven't played anything lately that looked too bad (I'd say Witcher 3 might have had a few more bells and whistles but it was still beautiful) and right now I guess the only things I have on my list are Doom 2016 and Battletech. Doom might be a stretch but Battletech should work, right? Maybe I'l hold off.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B98W3b

What country are you in? California :downs:
What are you using the system for? Web/Office & Gaming
What's your budget? Lets say 2k. I can afford pretty much as much as I want but I feel like 2k is excessive. Probably going to throw in a new monitor, mouse, and keyboard on top of these.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Current monitor is 1920/1080, second monitor is 1600/900.
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? More towards it runs but I want that to be true for the life of the pc. Mostly play games in a 1600/900 window on the main screen so I'm not super picky about graphics.

Usually I hope my desktops last about 5 years, as my current one has. This will be my third build so I'm not afraid of doing this but it's not something I do often.

Am I missing anything? Making a big mistake? I'm mainly just sanity checking here.

I feel like this is somewhere between being unnecessarily frugal and splurging, which is probably about right.

Question about 2 HDD's: I've never had this before - do I have to do anything to set this up properly or will it just work because computers are basically magic.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Meatbag Esq. posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B98W3b

What country are you in? California :downs:
What are you using the system for? Web/Office & Gaming
What's your budget? Lets say 2k. I can afford pretty much as much as I want but I feel like 2k is excessive. Probably going to throw in a new monitor, mouse, and keyboard on top of these.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Current monitor is 1920/1080, second monitor is 1600/900.
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? More towards it runs but I want that to be true for the life of the pc. Mostly play games in a 1600/900 window on the main screen so I'm not super picky about graphics.

Usually I hope my desktops last about 5 years, as my current one has. This will be my third build so I'm not afraid of doing this but it's not something I do often.

Am I missing anything? Making a big mistake? I'm mainly just sanity checking here.

I feel like this is somewhere between being unnecessarily frugal and splurging, which is probably about right.

Question about 2 HDD's: I've never had this before - do I have to do anything to set this up properly or will it just work because computers are basically magic.

2 HDDs work easily. I have 3 in my computer:
128gig Samsung SSD for booting
500gig SSD for games
4 TB HDD for media and storage

They just work, it's pretty nice.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Yeah, when you install Windows it asks which drive you want to put it on. Easy peasy.

You can format the other drive either at that point or after the install is done. I usually just do it during setup.

It's so easy that if I'm porting a storage drive over from an older computer, I generally leave it out until after Windows is done setting up so I don't format it accidentally.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I think you can generally go into EFI and disable drives/SATA ports you don't want to blast by accident too, if you don't want to have to open it back up after the installation.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

burnsep posted:

Doom 2016
https://youtu.be/31Q_c9fkTnY

Don't think it should be a problem.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How horrible of an idea is it to build a gaming PC in a rack-mount case?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

Linus?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

IuniusBrutus posted:

I suppose you never worked in a datacenter with 1U servers so you have no idea how loving loud the tiny super high rpm fans can get.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have been a computer janitor in the sense that I used to work for a company that cleaned data centers and I seem to only be able to think about how arid they are rather than the noise.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Star Man posted:

I have been a computer janitor in the sense that I used to work for a company that cleaned data centers and I seem to only be able to think about how arid they are rather than the noise.

Did you wear hearing protection in the data center? If not, your employer literally committed a crime.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I was messing around on PCPartpicker today and they had an EVGA 1080ti SC2 listed at $769 from B&H Photo. It let me place the order saying "more are on the way" with a 7-14 day estimate. I'm never actually going to get it, am I?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

metachronos posted:

I was messing around on PCPartpicker today and they had an EVGA 1080ti SC2 listed at $769 from B&H Photo. It let me place the order saying "more are on the way" with a 7-14 day estimate. I'm never actually going to get it, am I?

Prices are getting better and stock is coming back for Pascal cards. I would expect to get it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Arivia posted:

Prices are getting better and stock is coming back for Pascal cards. I would expect to get it.

Hell yeah, you just made my day. My PC ate it this morning after 6.5 years so I'm toying around with new builds.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

VostokProgram posted:

Did you wear hearing protection in the data center? If not, your employer literally committed a crime.

I don't even think it was very loud in those data centers. There would be sections that had a door or plastic curtains where there was a high level of noise that would sometimes be pretty toasty, but forbthe most part the noise was bearable. Our shop vac was louder.

And then a year later when I was doing seasonal golf labor, I'd be fruatrated that someone I was right behind would never realize that there was a 105 dB engine right behind him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've decided to give up on my Windows 7 install and move over to 10, which seems to be as good a reason as any to upgrade my CPU. Currently running an i3-6100 on an ASRock Z170, Microcenter has the 1700 and the 2600 at the same price if you're willing to muck with BIOS updates, with the 8400 being $25 more after accounting for the Mobo and the 1600 being $20 less. If there was a price difference I'd say that I'll never use the two extra cores and grab the 2600, but since their the same price I'm having trouble passing up on the potential. Use case is mostly web browsing & some 1080p60 gaming, but the i3 is already showing some weakness and I can't imagine CPU prices will stay so good (assuming I can get $75-100 for my current cpu + mobo).

Current setup here.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Palladium posted:

I suppose you never worked in a datacenter with 1U servers so you have no idea how loving loud the tiny super high rpm fans can get.

I was thinking a 4U case that can take regular components

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Do they still make motherboards with regular-rear end PCI slots, or is it exclusively PCIe now?

I'm thinking of upgrading my aging i5-2500k processor, which of course means new motherboard and RAM as well, but I also have an Asus Xonar DG PCI sound card I'd rather not replace if I can avoid it. I've had bad experiences with onboard sound with every motherboard I've ever tried (my speakers pick up interference from the board, even with quality boards), so I would be hesitant to ditch a discrete sound card entirely. That and getting audio drivers working perfectly on any Windows OS (even 7) can be delicate work.

If I were to jump to an i7-8700k or something, is it even possible to find a solid motherboard with a PCI slot these days? If not, are there any decent discrete sound cards that are known to work well with Windows 7, but aren't stupidly overpriced like Creative cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Buff Skeleton posted:

Do they still make motherboards with regular-rear end PCI slots, or is it exclusively PCIe now?

I'm thinking of upgrading my aging i5-2500k processor, which of course means new motherboard and RAM as well, but I also have an Asus Xonar DG PCI sound card I'd rather not replace if I can avoid it. I've had bad experiences with onboard sound with every motherboard I've ever tried (my speakers pick up interference from the board, even with quality boards), so I would be hesitant to ditch a discrete sound card entirely. That and getting audio drivers working perfectly on any Windows OS (even 7) can be delicate work.

If I were to jump to an i7-8700k or something, is it even possible to find a solid motherboard with a PCI slot these days? If not, are there any decent discrete sound cards that are known to work well with Windows 7, but aren't stupidly overpriced like Creative cards?

here you go. I dunno about "solid" though, it's getting to be a pretty niche feature and most of the boards you'll find it on are cheap/crappy. Out of those three I'd probably say the HD3P is the least-crappy looking one.

Maybe at some point think about getting a USB DAC/amp combo unit or a USB audio interface (if you need a mic).